Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
More conflict in the Ukrainian fight for autocephaly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

BattyKiara posted:

Could someone please pray for me? Things are, well, not going great at the moment. I need help, but not sure there is anywhere left to turn.

You've got it. And add one more internet rando to your corner, even if all I can do is type encouraging words in your general direction.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

BattyKiara posted:

Could someone please pray for me? Things are, well, not going great at the moment. I need help, but not sure there is anywhere left to turn.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Father, Have Mercy on Your Suffering Servant.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

BattyKiara posted:

Peace be with you, my family in Christ. Your sacred story continues, and we are listening. I don't know the details of how you are suffering, but I know that it is not separate from the way Jesus of Nazareth chose to live, serve, and die on the cross. May his living disciples be good friends to you amidst your vulnerability and pain.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Pellisworth posted:

Of course! We have a staff inipi (sweat lodge) this weekend, my first I've been invited to, so I'll toss you some extra prayers there while I'm roasting :v:

Sing a song for the great spirit and there are few things that can't be helped over time :)

BattyKiara posted:

Odin and Freja, tearers of the veil between worlds, and Ullr, victor of failing hunts, invest this person with your insight and strength.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Cythereal posted:

I briefly attended a WELS church in southwest Florida about five years ago. :v:

I’m sorry.

Valiantman posted:

ELCA is the more liberal of those two and I've understood that LCMS is sometimes not really that conservative either but drifiting into weird reactionary directions in some cases?

Ahaha this is a perfect characterization of the LCMS.

Being Protestant is honestly just a Northern European way to be a Christian. That’s why church growth parishes who spurn German language services for guitar-bass-drums are so lovely. They’re turning their back on their culture, something I can’t even do and I’m excommunicated!

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I’m sorry.

Ahaha this is a perfect characterization of the LCMS.

Being Protestant is honestly just a Northern European way to be a Christian. That’s why church growth parishes who spurn German language services for guitar-bass-drums are so lovely. They’re turning their back on their culture, something I can’t even do and I’m excommunicated!

Long time no see, Luigi. Without getting too much into your private life do you have a new church community?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Not really, but I’m not too worried about it. I think the last time I went to church was my dad’s installation at his new congregation about a year ago, which is nowhere near where I live (Sheboygan vs Minneapolis)

Oh wait I just remembered that’s not true. I went to Mindekirken like 2 months ago and had communion there even through I’m not ELCA. I really dig the Norwegian-language hymns and liturgy.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ProperGanderPusher posted:

I preordered that psalter when it was announced way back.

It’s decent.
do you have a better recommendation for this language

quote:

I have tons of fun silk bow ties to wear to liturgy that I don’t really wear the rest of the week because I’m on the west coast and our office culture is aggressively casual.
i didn't used to dress up for church, and then i noticed that the people standing next to me were a little uncomfortable with the tattoos, and i thought if i'm wearing a long sleeved button-up shirt anyway i may as well...

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

HEY GUNS posted:

i didn't used to dress up for church, and then i noticed that the people standing next to me were a little uncomfortable with the tattoos, and i thought if i'm wearing a long sleeved button-up shirt anyway i may as well...

it was pretty wild the first time i went to a church and the communion assistant was a punk rocker type with full sleeve tattoos showing

also luigi plz come to the dark side. we have cookies (baked by gay moms)

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
don’t say that, he’s gonna have a full on gay panic

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
that’s a law and order quote btw. why does law and order have the best out of context lines

13 and i were playing bridge with our friends back in college, and all of a sudden during a lull in a conversation we heard “SHE DIED OF AIDS!” coming from the upstairs tv. aids is not funny but hearing a random bit of melodrama during a game of bridge is

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
we're talking about eunuchs in the rome thread if anyone wantsto hang out

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i thought eunuchs... couldn't?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Senju Kannon posted:

don’t say that, he’s gonna have a full on gay panic

I’m literally gay. Don’t tell my wife (she may stalk this thread actually lol)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

I’m literally gay.
figures

hi jklwife

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i thought eunuchs... couldn't?
some of them could

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I’m literally gay. Don’t tell my wife (she may stalk this thread actually lol)

:munch:

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

HEY GUNS posted:

do you have a better recommendation for this language

I like the classic Coverdale even though it doesn’t line up as nicely with the Greek and Slavonic texts. I’m a creature of habit, what can I say?

My wife has a giant tattoo on her arm of a technicolor peacock and all the old ladies at church complimented her for it when she got it. :parrot:

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I found out recently that my priest has a bunch of really old looking tattoos on his arms.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i love old tats, i'm interested in the history

my parish at home loves my tats and about half the people there have them, it's the greeks in the parish near where i'm staying that i worry about. i'm not here to stand out or cause offence.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HEY GUNS posted:

we're talking about eunuchs in the rome thread if anyone wantsto hang out

listen i have heard more about eunuchs than i care recount

thanks, trans theologians and cis theologians writing trans theology, for trying your best to find trans women in christian history and coming up with “i don’t know, eunuchs?” literally nothing would be preferable

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

I'm not, they had great homemade peanut brittle. I walked out of the church mid-service when the pastor started talking about how global warming and the rise in more powerful and frequent hurricanes were God's wrath upon America for embracing the path of sin like tolerating LGBT people, and never went back.

https://i.imgur.com/WGMwtHJ.mp4

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Senju Kannon posted:

thanks, trans theologians and cis theologians writing trans theology, for trying your best to find trans women in christian history and coming up with “i don’t know, eunuchs?” literally nothing would be preferable

is the logic just "dude loses dangly bits -> totally a trans woman now"? :psyduck:

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lutha Mahtin posted:

is the logic just "dude loses dangly bits -> totally a trans woman now"? :psyduck:

no, but that is part of it

mostly it’s that eunuchs occupied a different gendered space than men, and were treated more like women, but the issue is they were treated more like a third gender which is incredibly offensive to binary trans people and a good transcestor for nonbinary people

honestly the only religion i know of with trans women representation is buddhism, both because of kannon who is depicted as both man and woman and because the monastic ruled in the pali cannon discuss what to do if a monk becomes a woman or a nun becomes a man (they practice with monastics of their own gender). not to say that these have always been used as pro-trans imagery, just to point out christianity lacks a kannon, or even a tiresias

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Senju Kannon posted:

mostly it’s that eunuchs occupied a different gendered space than men, and were treated more like women, but the issue is they were treated more like a third gender which is incredibly offensive to binary trans people and a good transcestor for nonbinary people

as a straight cis guy I don't often personally have much to add to topics like this, but i can say that this definitely creeps me out. some of these ancient eunuchs may have still identified the way I do to some degree, or they may have identified some other way, and it's kind of crappy to make the assumption all of them fit into my little research category *slaps thesis* this baby can label 300 eunuchs an hour

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
it’s more analogical than categorical

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i figured that it might be like that, but even so, it just sounds weird. i'm not an expert on the subject but most of what i know of eunuchs, it uh...wasn't a great life

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Ukraine granted autocephaly.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Nearly every other patriarch is denouncing him for it. This is gonna get really interesting fast.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

BattyKiara posted:

I mostly lurk here and I'm not Christian, but... if all prayers with good intent go to the right place, I hope my offering for you will ease your suffering in this time of need. :shobon:

And the same for Pershing and others who've requested prayer.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
While bored at work today, I found a few quotes about science and faith that I hadn't heard before and liked. Y'all might appreciate them:

I am content to be one of the multitude of Christians who do not care much about the doctrine of the Trinity or the historical truth of the gospels. Both as a scientist and as a religious person, I am accustomed to living with uncertainty. Science is exciting because it is full of unsolved mysteries, and religion is exciting for the same reason. - Freeman Dyson

I do not claim any ability to read God's mind. I am sure of only one thing. When we look at the glory of stars and galaxies in the sky and the glory of forests and flowers in the living world around us, it is evident that God loves diversity. Perhaps the universe is constructed according to a principle of maximum diversity. - Freeman Dyson

To know the mighty works of God, to comprehend His wisdom and majesty and power; to appreciate, in degree, the wonderful workings of His laws, surely all this must be a pleasing and acceptable mode of worship to the Most High, to whom ignorance cannot be more grateful than knowledge. - Nicolaus Copernicus

One more piece for the great jigsaw puzzle. I find it truly stunning how many people can shrug off stuff like this, preferring instead a tiny, cramped cosmos just 6,000 years old, scheduled to end any-time-now in a scripted stage show of unfathomable violence and cruelty. An ancient and immense and ongoing cosmos is so vastly more dramatic and worthy of a majestic Creator. Our brains, capable of exploring His universe, picking up His tools and doing His work, seem destined for much greater tasks than cowering in a small groups of the elect, praying that some of our neighbors will go to perdition... - David Brin

https://i.imgur.com/QC9vvRz.mp4

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Lutha Mahtin posted:

as a straight cis guy I don't often personally have much to add to topics like this, but i can say that this definitely creeps me out. some of these ancient eunuchs may have still identified the way I do to some degree, or they may have identified some other way
this is why i don't call myself trans. that word was invented by people who belonged to certain political movements which i don't, and they probably weren't Orthodox, and probably didn't think about the soul in the way that i do. the concept of a "gay identity," instead of certain acts people do and ways they behave, is probably only about 100 to 150 years old.

hell, the concept of an "identity" at all is modern as hell

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Oct 12, 2018

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
we get it, you hate new things

i wouldn't be surprised to find out your ideal house has no indoor plumbing and no electricity because the devil's in the pipes and the wires. wait actually the romans had rudimentary indoor plumbing, so that one probably checks out, but there isn't any ancient precedent for electricity or antibiotics so i maintain your a priori assumption that old is always best to be absurd so long as you aren't amish

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
will you be surprised if i tell you that my best friend lives in his ex-sister-in-lw's basement with no electricity and writes letters by hand

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Well, not really. It's an ongoing process. Constantinople has lifted anathemas from UAOC and UOC(KP) leaders and faithful, but they are still in a jurisdictional limbo. First they'll have to join Constantinople's stavropegial Kyivan Metropolia (a 'new' ecclesial entity), and only then it will be possible to grant them autocephaly. The problem is leaders of those churches have their own ambitions, especially Philaret of UOC(KP) who seems to be dead set on remaining a patriarch, but it also doesn't seem to be a part of Bartholomew's plan. Right now Philaret's reinstated as a metropolian, but without a metropolia, and it's not even clear if his chirotonias performed during schism will be recognised as valid. But that's something that can be figured out in a variety of ways. What's really not clear right now, however, is what's expected to happen to parishes under jurisdiction of Moscow Patriarchate. While Fener urges to refrain from any forceful seizure of ecclesial property, it's not like they can actually do anything to prevent it, and political climate in Ukraine is, well, tumultuous to put it mildly. On top of that, Moscow does everything in its power to make the whole ordeal as chaotic as possible by refusing to cooperate in any way. It's not going to be pretty, and Ukrainian Christians really need prayers right now.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i think whatever anyone's opinion about international politics we should pray for the ukrainians

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Can someone summarize what’s going on with Ukraine, briefly? Is the Ukrainian Orthodox Church seeking independence from the Russian Orthodox Church?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Can someone summarize what’s going on with Ukraine, briefly? Is the Ukrainian Orthodox Church seeking independence from the Russian Orthodox Church?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1050445932716679168

i have no idea, but that won't stop me from developing strongly held ideas and then screaming about them on the internet

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I wish there was a nice in-depth write-up in English, because reading back to my own post, I realise that unless you already know a lot about the situation, it reads like absolute gibberish mixed with Greek. There might be one, but I sure haven't seen it. Heck, I haven't seen one in Russian or Ukrainian either.

The video above is a good start, but to fully understand what's going on (and I'm not going to pretend I fully do), you basically need to learn a lot about at least the last century of Russian and Ukrainian history to know how non-canonical churches came about, and then go back to the 17th century to understand how and why what is today Ukrainian territory got under Moscow in the first place, both politically and ecclesiastically, and then, as a bonus, read how other autocephalous churches were established in the last couple of centuries to see how and why the situation now is different.