Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Funky Valentine posted:

A personal favorite is President Valentine's Napkin Speech and how Lucy just seems completely bewildered by it.

And from what I remember he starts yelling about taking the napkin to Johnny and Gyro later, who would have absolutely no idea what the hell he's talking about.

My favorite will always be that part 4's protagonists were equally as stupid as the villains. Akira, in his attempt to stop Joseph from using his ability to track him... decides to just show up on his own. Then Joseph proceeds to not actually use his ability to try and find Kira. It's alright though, because he eventually yells his own name out in public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Can't find a pic of Emporio's bewildered look when Jolyne calls him up to tell him about how she and Hermes are stuck on a plane underground

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Momomo posted:

Then Joseph proceeds to not actually use his ability to try and find Kira.

Nah see if he did that then he'd have most likely ended up with a relatively nondescript photo of kira at night in the dark with no lights around and covered in shade and clothed head to toe in enough material to prevent him from being identifiable.

Either that or it just would've shown a pic of a map of Morioh but nothing else.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Funky Valentine posted:

A personal favorite is President Valentine's Napkin Speech and how Lucy just seems completely bewildered by it.
I love how the napkin speech genuinely makes sense.

Whoever first choose what napkin they'll use, on their left or right, determine which napkin everyone else will take, and Valentine wants to be that for the world. It's a totally bonkers way to deliver your dream but it dooooes make sense, Valentine isn't a total lunatic

It's cool, I love it, JoJo is cool. It has pure moxie that I've never seen from another shonen

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

FirstAidKite posted:

Nah see if he did that then he'd have most likely ended up with a relatively nondescript photo of kira at night in the dark with no lights around and covered in shade and clothed head to toe in enough material to prevent him from being identifiable.

Either that or it just would've shown a pic of a map of Morioh but nothing else.
But then Jotaro can spot a caterpillar on the windowsill and realize that it is native to one neighborhood in all of Morioh.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

TheLoneStar posted:

But then Jotaro can spot a caterpillar on the windowsill and realize that it is native to one neighborhood in all of Morioh.

Oh please, Jotaro's a marine biologist, not an entomologist.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Consider that Joseph kept getting DIO or Angelo photos when trying to get photos of something else. Those two guys had overwhelming spiritual power and were kinda broadcasting themselves to the world. Kira lives sooooooo far off the radar that Joseph would probably never find him via spirit photography.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Expect My Mom posted:

randomly thinking about pucci saying "if this snail touches my arm.....i have to kill my brother" and god i love this series, warts and all. things like that, giorno's face inexplicably unzipping or watching diego eat rocks are these otherworldly moments of tension and drama that truly couldn't happen anywhere else and it really feels like araki is having a ball every time he sits down to make it.

Jotaro realizes something is wrong when his mother doesn't kiss him on time.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

FirstAidKite posted:

Can't find a pic of Emporio's bewildered look when Jolyne calls him up to tell him about how she and Hermes are stuck on a plane underground

Here it is

https://mangadex.org/chapter/64914/14

Seeing this page out of context is what got me into JoJo. I thought Emporio was just some poor kid that just got finished with his baseball game getting wrapped up in some weird poo poo at first.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

Momomo posted:

And from what I remember he starts yelling about taking the napkin to Johnny and Gyro later, who would have absolutely no idea what the hell he's talking about.

My favorite will always be that part 4's protagonists were equally as stupid as the villains. Akira, in his attempt to stop Joseph from using his ability to track him... decides to just show up on his own. Then Joseph proceeds to not actually use his ability to try and find Kira. It's alright though, because he eventually yells his own name out in public.

Just before the first fight against Red Hot Chili Pepper in the field, Jotaro explains to Josuke and Okuyasu that Hermit Purple can enter power lines and somehow find Akira that way. I think it is fair to assume this application of Hermit Purple would not help the team find Kira at all, because Kira does not have a stand that lives inside power lines.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
He's still around and is capable of using Hermit Purple's psychic ability in other ways, he just didn't. Sure it might have been blocked or whatever, but it seems like they got so caught up in things they just forgot to even try.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

literally the only time he found what he wanted with it it wasn't even human and it was like a street over

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

That didn't work so well when he tried to use Hermit Purple to find Dio in Stardust Crusaders. Between himself, Jotaro, and Avdol, they managed to narrow the location down to "somewhere in Egypt, probably in the general vicinity of Aswan city."*

*Dio was actually in Cairo, a few hundred miles away.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

specialties: finding barrels. corners of nondescript buildings. shirtless men.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
joseph joestar is an idiot, i totally believe he's not using his stand correctly and hermit purple is meant to just let you spiderman around

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Madtrixr posted:

Its so great. Like there's the conversation in this first episode, Bruno just walks up to Giorno and just starts asking him random questions, and Giorno just indulges him, no like "what the hell why are you asking me that", he just starts answering earnestly.

Its one of the best parts of JoJo, everyone just kind of Goes With It, at least the stand users do.

I do kinda like how the anime adds to things when it comes to reactions. Like Giorno indulging in the conversation but then Buccellati starts talking about people's sweat or whatever and Giorno's just like

"oh no"

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

BaDandy posted:

I do kinda like how the anime adds to things when it comes to reactions. Like Giorno indulging in the conversation but then Buccellati starts talking about people's sweat or whatever and Giorno's just like

"oh no"

*in Joseph Joestar inflection and tone* OHHHH MAMMA MIA

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Johnny Joestar posted:

literally the only time he found what he wanted with it it wasn't even human and it was like a street over

Well Kira is pretty inhuman and possibly a street over from him.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Josuke Higashikata posted:

She's probably meant to be Carela. We know for sure Kaato is wrong cos there's a C in her intro chapter art.

Josefumi’s phone says Josephmi, so I don’t think the English spellings necessarily apply.

Also why do people use “aa” in the names of K/Caato and Haato but are upset when the scans use “ou” in Jo[u]suke? Food for thought

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Also why do people use “aa” in the names of K/Caato and Haato but are upset when the scans use “ou” in Jo[u]suke? Food for thought
Because it's the double a sound that gives them their naming theme. They're named like a playing card set. Kaato, Haato, Card, Heart and then there's Daiya, Diamond. That gets lost if you drop the second vowel.

Things like Joubin, Joushuu, Jousuke are technically right but those vowels aren't adding anything unless you're suddenly pronouncing Jobin as Job-in

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Jobbing Jobin.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I guess Jobin has been losing to villains frequently to establish them as a threat. The one time someone used jobbing correctly!

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Expect My Mom posted:

Because it's the double a sound that gives them their naming theme. They're named like a playing card set. Kaato, Haato, Card, Heart and then there's Daiya, Diamond. That gets lost if you drop the second vowel.

Things like Joubin, Joushuu, Jousuke are technically right but those vowels aren't adding anything unless you're suddenly pronouncing Jobin as Job-in

I mean, I get the meaning part but it’s still seems kinda inconsistent to me.
“ou” is actually a double vowel too! The sound is different from just plain old “o” the same way “aa” is. It’s the same as “oo”, you just write the second o as a u (with a couple exceptions) because Japanese is a hosed up hell language.

Not that I’m advocating for Jousuke over Josuke! I’m just, like, asking the questions, mannn

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I mean, I get the meaning part but it’s still seems kinda inconsistent to me.
“ou” is actually a double vowel too! The sound is different from just plain old “o” the same way “aa” is. It’s the same as “oo”, you just write the second o as a u (with a couple exceptions) because Japanese is a hosed up hell language.

Not that I’m advocating for Jousuke over Josuke! I’m just, like, asking the questions, mannn
Yeah totally! It is technically correct but I think combined with the way the Higashikatas talk by elongating their verbs cause they're total weirdos and its brushing up against years of No U After A Jo in main character names, it always looks weird and yeah I'm fine just dumping it

everytime I learn a bit of Korean, I wonder why I didnt choose that instead of the Dark Souls of languages

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jo in English comes out as it should be read and pronounced in basically every single scenario. I can't think of a situation where it isn't off the top of my head. The "ou" is just pointless.

It's not the same with a single a, which in English reads naturally different to the intended pronunciation.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Consider: Kātto and Jōsuke

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I’ve taken an anarchist stance to spelling of any Japanese characters because official English spellings are always wildly inconsistent. As long as people know what character you’re talking about I don’t care.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Gioskay and his friends Occooyasoo and Coeechee.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jeffo Purachina

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

I just finished Steel Ball Run and it was amazing. I might post a long-ish review later, I'm assuming I don't need spoiler tags since it's old.

I read the translated scans from Jojo's Colored Adventure and that made me wonder, how does Jojo get colored anyway? I know it's first released as part of a magazine in black and white, but when does it get colorized and does Araki color it himself or does he have assistants do it? If it's assistants how much direction does he provide? And is the color version released when the tankobon are released or are there separate color and B&W tankobons?

Also I know that not all of part 8 is in color but if I'm just starting it, would y'all recommend starting with the color version and switch to black and white when that runs out?

Funky Valentine posted:

brb making a Napkin Takers gang tang (not actually)

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Maybe after we have the Long Vowels Debate for the 15th time, we can move on to whether the family name should be written before or after the given name.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Jo in English comes out as it should be read and pronounced in basically every single scenario. I can't think of a situation where it isn't off the top of my head. The "ou" is just pointless.

journal

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Jersuke

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Jerk-suke Higoshkata

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'm so mad it's still fourteen chapters before we meet the rest of Passione. I'll need to re-read Black Sabbath but really the only thing I'm excited to see animated until we meet the boys is how they handle whatever the gently caress Polpo is

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2018-10-11/jojo-bizarre-adventure-sd-character-smartphone-game-launches/.138007

Well this is, uh, a thing.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
jojo mobile games are kinda common, this one at least looks cute tho.. how's stardust shooters doing these days

but god I would play the hell out of a jojo gacha game, let me get SR Hazamadas or whatever the gently caress

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I swear I saw some kind of stardust crusaders mobile game once where everyone was a cat but for the life of me I can't find any info on it

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This episode is so good.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I like the motif of statues and rocks breaking in the beginning of Fighting Gold referencing Rolling Stones

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Expect My Mom posted:

I like the motif of statues and rocks breaking in the beginning of Fighting God referencing Rolling Stones

thats gonna be a real weird episode.

theres gonna be a lot of really weird episodes.

notorious b.i.g. comes to mind. so does soft machine and beach boy.