Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

PC gaming was a mistake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

U-DO Burger posted:

PC gaming was a mistake

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

U-DO Burger posted:

PC gaming was a mistake

*glances back at the Orchestra mod*

Pro's outweigh the cons.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
JFC people please spoiler your stuff. I didn't know there was an 8th character. You people suck.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

MechaX posted:

I've been following this IGN guide, and uh... what in the gently caress did they lead me into

Spoilers for Mt. Huji Act 2: Okay this dragon needs to calm the gently caress down and stop opening the battle by doing critical hits on folks or just roaring over half of the party in the first goddamn turn. Using Blunt/Kabuff doesn't seem to be doing much because he still deals a gently caress ton of damage. I'm at 45, but I don't have Erik/Serena/Veronica back. Uh, am I supposed to be here yet because this dragon is doing too much damage compared to anything I've fought before.

While you can go to Mt. Huji early, the story doesn't lead you there until right before you're ready to take on the final dungeon.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Elephant Ambush posted:

JFC people please spoiler your stuff. I didn't know there was an 8th character. You people suck.

You should probably just vacate the thread if these spoilers are such a big deal. There's no way everyone will catch themselves 100% of the time. Not to mention that some people's perception of what is or isn't a spoiler differs, likely what happened here.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I just got my platinum and maybe this is my favourite Dragon Quest game overall.

Sylvando MVP.

People should probably spoiler *who* Eight is, but the game's UI spoils the fact there's going to be an eighth party member. There's always space for one more character option in every menu before you get said member.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Good thing he doesn’t know about the ninth character, Mecha-Veronica

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

Act 2 Serena is basically a 9th character.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Supremezero posted:

*glances back at the Orchestra mod*

Pro's outweigh the cons.

i don't play big games on pc, is this a thing that's normal for pc games or something? Like, when FF7 was released for PC did someone throw up a mod that everyone swears by that replaced all the music with the orchestral versions? Because this obsession with orchestral music only is freaking weird to me.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You are probably one of the goons that put music on the bottom of the barrel in enjoying a game. A lot of people are tone deaf or literally can't stand music, while others judge highly of the soundtrack.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Yeah I can understand taking the music up a notch with a mod replacement but the common opinion seems to be that the MIDI score is trash. Like, I don't have a problem with it at all. If it's supposed to be bad I can't identify why.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

SettingSun posted:

Yeah I can understand taking the music up a notch with a mod replacement but the common opinion seems to be that the MIDI score is trash. Like, I don't have a problem with it at all. If it's supposed to be bad I can't identify why.

Orchestral or not the soundtrack in this game is garbage

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Tae posted:

You are probably one of the goons that put music on the bottom of the barrel in enjoying a game.

lmaooooo what

naw, i love the music. The orchestral music is fantastic too, i just don't think it fits the game as well as the original compositions. "Orchestral only" is such a depressingly limited view of what constitutes good game music

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The default MIDI sound has this sharpness to it that I just couldn't stand hearing after a few hours.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

Steve Yun posted:

I really hoped Jasper was going to join, but alas. :(

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

SettingSun posted:

I used the Orchestral mod for a couple hours in Act 1, then switched back to the regular music. The default soundtrack seemed perfectly fine to me, so I figured I'd rather stick with it for the rest of the game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So does anyone else think the 11th party member's swagger ability is super busted? 20mp for full party attack and defense up lvl2?! I don't think I can ever take Lanselot out my party anymore!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Hidden 12th character: Vince Vanquish

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

SettingSun posted:

Hidden 12th character: Vince Vanquish

Him and Kristalinda would be pretty good extra party members ala Morrie and Ruby in 8 3ds

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Music's one of my favorite aspects of a game but I also can't stand the orchestral mod because it's so bombastic. Also for me it's not the sound quality but lack of diversity.

But to answer the original question - no, orchestral music mods aren't terribly common.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I honestly can't hear the complaints with original MIDI soundtrack. The orchestral tracks I have from watching some of the mod on the contrary are a little messy to be a game OST simply because they're live. Not that they're badly performed or anything, anything but, but they probably need a re-master pass to be used as OST properly.

The small song sample size isn't fixed by the mod either if that's the issue, which I've seen some complaints about elsewhere.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Really Pants posted:

The default MIDI sound has this sharpness to it that I just couldn't stand hearing after a few hours.

Yeah I feel you here, I just turned the volume down low enough so it faded into the background more and eventually I got used to it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Robert is allowed now for your DQ name. Also, PC version got more graphic options.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Calaveron posted:

Him and Kristalinda would be pretty good extra party members ala Morrie and Ruby in 8 3ds

They both deserved to be executed for their crimes. Or at least thrown into a dungeon forever.

But the game just handwaves it away like :shrug:

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Him yes. Krystalinda owns.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

important update: you can now name your character Robert

https://twitter.com/DragonQuest/status/1050780634065633282

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So question about DQ7. I'm in Hubble and while it's fun to meander around and bop stuff I'm totally 100% checked out.

Is there a main plot or am I playing this for the wrong reason. I'm just kind of avoiding most npc's that aren't important because the backtracking has been insane and while I like the concept of restoring lost islands there's literally nothing tying them together so far somehow. I heard it's a long game and I'm 33 hours in and it's really tempting to just drop it if there's no actual overall plot. My main characters haven't spoken since Alltrade Abbey and I just feel divorced from anything other than some comically easy battles where I just mash attack and thin air.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So question about DQ7. I'm in Hubble and while it's fun to meander around and bop stuff I'm totally 100% checked out.

Is there a main plot or am I playing this for the wrong reason. I'm just kind of avoiding most npc's that aren't important because the backtracking has been insane and while I like the concept of restoring lost islands there's literally nothing tying them together so far somehow. I heard it's a long game and I'm 33 hours in and it's really tempting to just drop it if there's no actual overall plot. My main characters haven't spoken since Alltrade Abbey and I just feel divorced from anything other than some comically easy battles where I just mash attack and thin air.

The main plot is basically whatever is happening on the islands. I mean if you don't like it by this point, nothing later on will change your mind. DQ7 isn't that good.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The main plot is basically whatever is happening on the islands. I mean if you don't like it by this point, nothing later on will change your mind. DQ7 isn't that good.

Fair enough, the other games I've played usually have little side stories for a good while then a big unifying thing happens and becomes the focus, with all the sidestory stuff paying off during it.

Like the leadup to Dhoulmagus and once you get rid of him it's all about chasing the staff and whatnot. Kinda waiting for there to be like... a villain or literally anything goin on.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I thought that surely they'd have fixed the spell descriptions for Serena avoid death moves but nope!

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Fair enough, the other games I've played usually have little side stories for a good while then a big unifying thing happens and becomes the focus, with all the sidestory stuff paying off during it.

Like the leadup to Dhoulmagus and once you get rid of him it's all about chasing the staff and whatnot. Kinda waiting for there to be like... a villain or literally anything goin on.
Oh, DQ7 absolutely has that. It's a slow build but it's worth it. That said, putting the world back together kinda IS the main story until you get to that point, and if that's not your thing, then you might end up disappointed.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

DQ7 isn't that good.
This is just plain wrong.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 12, 2018

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Fenrir posted:

Oh, DQ7 absolutely has that. It's a slow build but it's worth it. That said, putting the world back together kinda IS the main story until you get to that point, and if that's not your thing, then you might end up disappointed.

This is just plain wrong.

I like the world being put together and it's cool seeing the map come to life but it just feels like I'm going through the motions is all. Like I said my characters haven't said a single thing in the past 5-6 islands unless it's just "we should help don't you think"

Like wolf kid I legit forgot his name hasn't spoken since he joined at the start of the game. Sir Mervyn went "ok i'll join" and has been mute ever since and man guys come on say words so I know you are alive

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I like the world being put together and it's cool seeing the map come to life but it just feels like I'm going through the motions is all. Like I said my characters haven't said a single thing in the past 5-6 islands unless it's just "we should help don't you think"

Like wolf kid I legit forgot his name hasn't spoken since he joined at the start of the game. Sir Mervyn went "ok i'll join" and has been mute ever since and man guys come on say words so I know you are alive

This is just kind of Dragon Quest up until 8 though, you’re supposed to use Party Chat exactly for this purpose at least whenever plot cutscenes happen like in 8 and even 11 to a lesser extent. There’s a reason the smartphone version of 4 gets the hype it does. I mean, I get getting burnt out on a game being 65 hours of dragonquest.txt if you didn’t research enough but it’s literally the game that debuted the “let’s fix how party members all become mutes like the Hero when the recruitment jingle plays” button.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

There's a mod on Nexus to make the bunny outfit more revealing, it's trash. However... the description of the mod is just sensational.

I can feel the fedora-tipping with every word of that post. Jesus Christ.

Elephant Ambush posted:

I consider it to be like Xenoblade Chronicles. The UI's design is pretty apparent there's an 8th party member and you don't stop at 7 but there's no indication of what/who/where/why/etc.

OTOH I only knew about it because someone mentioned ITT shortly after US release. If I'd been going at it completely blind I would've been more surprised, but the UI had me suspicious before the thread confirmed it.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I honestly can't hear the complaints with original MIDI soundtrack. The orchestral tracks I have from watching some of the mod on the contrary are a little messy to be a game OST simply because they're live.

Orchestral tracks are (almost) always recorded live though. :confused:

an actual dog posted:

https://twitter.com/DragonQuest/status/1050780634065633282

PC can now go up to 144fps or unlock it entirely. :stare::fh:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

an actual dog posted:

My beautiful son's Christmas is saved.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Elephant Ambush posted:

I got on someone’s case about this before but I regret that since axes are an item category you can see at any time

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I just beat the main game of DQ11, is there any reason to hold off on breaking the time crystal or whatever if I'm trying to plat the game? I'm specifically thinking about the trophies to get your characters to level 99.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Mike_V posted:

I just beat the main game of DQ11, is there any reason to hold off on breaking the time crystal or whatever if I'm trying to plat the game? I'm specifically thinking about the trophies to get your characters to level 99.

Do that ASAP lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Mike_V posted:

There are a few scenes you can watch beforehand by traveling around, but aside from that, no