Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Help Im Alive posted:

I bet that was probably pretty common with FFVIII. My first time playing it as a kid I had no idea what Quistis was talking about in that junctioning tutorial

I used GF attacks to kill everything then had to start over when I got to BFG21312322 because I couldn't beat it fast enough

In this case it's clearly a game's fault. You get tutorial about stats and GFs before you even have a chance to learn anything about the combat system, and your first fights will be undirected random battles against low-level monsters. Ifrit cave has time limit too but it will probably be generous enough for you to spam GF summons. When I played it first it took me a lot of time to realize that GF summon is not the best thing in the world and not just because it's boring, but by that time I had every frame of Quetzacoatl and Shiva animation engraved in my brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

WaltherFeng posted:

I was looking at my old videos and this kinda made want to play FFXV again

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w222wGt3-Bs

Why couldnt the whole game be more like this

You mean why can't it be a cutscene with quick time events and no one in the team straying from their max HP?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Well I did level a lot. Also QTEs own when they are integrated well into the fight refer to every single PlatinumGames title ever made.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Yeah, this fight was fun really story-wise. But after I came to some location underleveled and discovered you can survive through anything by just drinking potions I realized that gameplay itself is shite unless they add some sort of nerd mode.

I can imagine myself replaying Final Fantasy 5 or 8 looking for interesting builds and fighting optional fights. But here I know that all my strategy and clever character customization will replace 20 minute fight with 50 potions drank with 5 minute fight with 2 potions. I had similar feeling in FF12 where basic script can carry you through the whole game but other FF games were better than this. I've also heard that FF15 DLCs are better than this.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Somewhere along the line they got the idea that the thing that was wrong with these games was picking commands from a menu, but now it's clear that picking commands from a menu was the thing most right about them.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Aren't there post game dungeons that turn off items?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

zedprime posted:

Aren't there post game dungeons that turn off items?

One. But it's very very long, with saves every tenth level. I both loved and hated it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So Bravely Default is really good, right? I'm nearing the end of SMTIVA and thinking ahead to what to play next.

All I've ever heard about the game is the combat which is supposed to be great. I like me some Job Systems so that is good to hear. Is there a plot worth talking about? A good soundtrack?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

NikkolasKing posted:

So Bravely Default is really good, right? I'm nearing the end of SMTIVA and thinking ahead to what to play next.

All I've ever heard about the game is the combat which is supposed to be great. I like me some Job Systems so that is good to hear. Is there a plot worth talking about? A good soundtrack?

Plot is interesting but can get tedious partway through, job system and music are :kiss:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Bravely Default is a fantastic game right up until Chapter 5.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Soundtrack is ace, combat is ace, story's ace, whole games ace

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Gologle posted:

Bravely Default is a fantastic game right up until Chapter 5.

You can finish the last few chapters in like a hour, even faster if you do no refights. This complaint remains dumb

Barudak
May 7, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

You can finish the last few chapters in like a hour, even faster if you do no refights. This complaint remains dumb

Tell me more about your experience designing the Library level in Halo

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

Soundtrack is ace, combat is ace, story's ace, whole games ace

I got spoiled on the story a bit. Is it still worth playing? How much of the story is reliant on twists? I mean I don't know the specifics, just that the fairy is uh, bad, and there's time stuff? Possibly some sort of loop?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

cock hero flux posted:

I got spoiled on the story a bit. Is it still worth playing? How much of the story is reliant on twists? I mean I don't know the specifics, just that the fairy is uh, bad, and there's time stuff? Possibly some sort of loop?

Some of that's pretty much known from the start, and halfway through the game it starts beating you over the head with the rest even if you're stubbornly insisting on not doing the stuff in-game to "figure it out". If you like everything else the game is offering, knowing that doesn't ruin anything.

E: and if you don't like everything else the game is offering, having that unspoiled wouldn't redeem it. It's not one of those spoilers that forces you to re-evaluate the whole game, it's just famous because they hid a couple of "staring you in the face" clues very cleverly.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 9, 2018

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

cock hero flux posted:

I personally think spoilers aren't a big deal, I mean the gameplay is still good even if you think the story is absolute trash, ya know? But yeah you got spoiled on some of the bigger plot twists. I'd still say play it personally, it's a fun game!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
The Library wasn't that bad. You know what's a bad level? The Ark. I don't know how you go from a perfect last level in Halo 2 to bungling it in 3.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Gologle posted:

The Library wasn't that bad. You know what's a bad level? The Ark. I don't know how you go from a perfect last level in Halo 2 to bungling it in 3.

The library absolutely sucks and is where most of my halo replays die. It's just big fat hallways full of flood and doors I have to wait like 3 minutes to open.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Bravely Default is a game with excellent gameplay and music and an alright plot, the last bit is a bit tedious but complaints about it are hugely exaggerated. Don't do all the optional refights in chapters 5 and 6 if you don't want to burn out but consider doing the ones in chapters 7 and 8 if you like a challenge because the game is very good at testing whether you've successfully broken it over your knee or not.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

NikkolasKing posted:

Bravely Default is good. Mixed opinions on a later part of the game, but overall it's still worth playing.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bravely Default is good; Bravely Second is better.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Bongo Bill posted:

Bravely Default is good; Bravely Second is better.

Second has less interesting optional side-content and superbosses, and I don't like the direction it went with the Celestial Realm (although honestly, elaborating on it at all was gonna ring bad), but other than that it's great.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Second has less good music. Never got around to getting past the town where I assume you get the cakemaker job

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Bravely Default is a game with excellent gameplay and music and an alright plot, the last bit is a bit tedious but complaints about it are hugely exaggerated. Don't do all the optional refights in chapters 5 and 6 if you don't want to burn out but consider doing the ones in chapters 7 and 8 if you like a challenge because the game is very good at testing whether you've successfully broken it over your knee or not.

Yeah I think this post has it spot on.

There's a bunch of things about the direction of the sequel that I'm not as fond of, but in general it's still pretty okay and the one big thing (tm) is much less obtrusive so it's not bad on it's own either.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Holy poo poo, I beat 15 last night. Can't type a lot right now but overall I enjoyed the game play mostly, but I really love the story. The ending got me real good in the feels, and I loved every minute of my best friends road trip.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
That's good man.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
So I bought Final Fantasy Tactics on android and it's really good. I've never really played the game beyond few missions but now I'm hooked. The game's really good. I love customizing my dudes. Graphics and animations are suprisingly detailed and I really like the dialogue.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Welcome, Brother.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

So I bought Final Fantasy Tactics on android and it's really good. I've never really played the game beyond few missions but now I'm hooked. The game's really good. I love customizing my dudes. Graphics and animations are suprisingly detailed and I really like the dialogue.

Remember to rotate your save slots

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Is there a starters guide to Tactics? From what I understand the learning curve is steep but once you get things set up its a cakewalk.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

seiferguy posted:

Is there a starters guide to Tactics? From what I understand the learning curve is steep but once you get things set up its a cakewalk.

Not really. The game's biggest problem is that the difficulty doesn't progress evenly through the main story. There are 2 or 3 story fights that are way harder than most and they're sprinkled throughout the game. If you don't have multiple save states and some foreknowledge of those fights it's easy to get stuck and frustrated and quit.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

seiferguy posted:

You are nearly certainly going to get your poo poo rocked in three fights in the first half of the game if you go blind, followed by another later fight which unless you know the exploit is basically completely random as to whether or not you lose on the first turn. Save in different slots always, and do not hesitate to look up a guide if you get bored with the game dunking on you, which is again very likely to happen.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

How do I up my finesse score in battles in 15? Do I need to switch weapons mid combo or use magic or something? Does it give you more exp if you get a higher score?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Finesse is linked to the number of blindsides, link-strikes and parries you do. To get A+ you need to do either 6 blindsides or 4 parries.

You get no rewards for it though, so eh.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Barudak posted:

You are nearly certainly going to get your poo poo rocked in three fights in the first half of the game if you go blind, followed by another later fight which unless you know the exploit is basically completely random as to whether or not you lose on the first turn. Save in different slots always, and do not hesitate to look up a guide if you get bored with the game dunking on you, which is again very likely to happen.

People always say FFT is crazy unfair but it's never been true

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

corn in the bible posted:

People always say FFT is crazy unfair but it's never been true

Dorter isn't as bad as I've heard it described, but Belias and the Riovanes Rooftop fight are pretty brutal. The former relies entirely on how you build Ramza, the latter relies on you bringing someone fast enough to go first in the turn order.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CeallaSo posted:

the Riovanes Rooftop

Objective: Protect the guest character

guest runs run to a mob that can one shot them and punches them for single digit damage

Then again that happens a lot even in the ogre battle remake for the psp so maybe Matsuno just hates the player.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

CeallaSo posted:

the latter relies on you bringing someone fast enough to go first in the turn order.

You can salvage this by stripping a character to make them a more attractive target. It's not 100% but you can't get stuck there.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Objective: Protect the guest character

guest runs run to a mob that can one shot them and punches them for single digit damage

Then again that happens a lot even in the ogre battle remake for the psp so maybe Matsuno just hates the player.

At least Arycelle and Ravness are strong enough to protect themselves. Can't say the same for Rapha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

CeallaSo posted:

At least Arycelle and Ravness are strong enough to protect themselves. Can't say the same for Rapha.

Unfortunately they are some rare exceptions to the rule. Radlum loving loves to bull rush enemies as do Sisteena and a bunch of other characters with the durability of wet paper.