Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Does Brazil have any irredentist claims to a neighboring country like Uruguay or something that Bolsonaro could decide to annex or is he not that flavor of fascist

Modern Uruguay basically exists because of a failed war between Brazil and Argentina, so kinda?

The right’s main concern today is Venezuela, though - which, oddly enough, fits nicely with American Imperialist interests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Does Brazil have any irredentist claims to a neighboring country like Uruguay or something that Bolsonaro could decide to annex or is he not that flavor of fascist

We lost Uruguay a long time ago, enough for it not to count. But Bolsonaro has talked about wanting to attack Venezuela to defeat communism.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

ZearothK posted:

We lost Uruguay a long time ago, enough for it not to count. But Bolsonaro has talked about wanting to attack Venezuela to defeat communism.

lol nice

Aguirre, the Wrath of God 2 is really shaping up nicely

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017

Metal Cat has issued a correction as of 05:23 on Oct 8, 2021

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

If he is going to try any military adventure, it would be against Venezuela. But only if Trump supports it

edit: people cant get over Roger Waters calling bolsonaro a neofascist

Elias_Maluco has issued a correction as of 21:38 on Oct 12, 2018

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Metal Cat posted:

It's hard to fully illustrate this, but I'll try to explain. Basically, you can kind of start with the hispanic concept of castas since there was an equivalence of terms in Brazil through categorizations like mameluco (white + amerindian), cafuzo ( black + ameridian) and mulato (black + white). IIRC asian ancestry wasn't even considered since japanese presence only really started in the 20th century and any other groups like the chinese were negligible at the time.

Anyway, there has always been colorism as a form of dual racism-classism. Mixed people were seen as comparetively better than black slaves or ameridians, but still in a lower stratum than whites. In that sense, "passing" was (and still is) seen as important.

So due to the heavy admixture of these three groups (a little less so in the deep south like RS due to pockets of german immigration that mostly intermarried until relatively recently) coupled with this legacy of colorism, the concept of racial identity seems more heavily tied to outward appearance than with historical/genetic background per se. Given that the common source of ancestry for most white brazilians is iberian and/or italian, while simultaneously having some degree of amerindian and black ancestry (not to mention having friends and family of variable complexion), the answer probably is: as far as "deep tan mediterranean" and "even 'moreno' in some cases".

A quick word on "moreno": moreno is sort of a catch-all term for mixed, tan-ish, light brown complexion, and is one of a lot of terms that try to define that intersection (like mulato, mestiço, etc).

So basically, a brazilian probably wouldn't blink before calling most arab groups white (especially due to lebanese influence here), and anything north of that area would be considered white no matter what. Slightly darker complexion than that would likely be perceived under the categories often used describing mixed ancestry like moreno/mulato, and only the darkest complexions would be seen as black.

Like anything else, this always depends on the person you're talking to, but this should give you an idea of what's the general approach people tend to have.

Jesus. This makes the concept of race seem so stupid and arbitrary.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Elias_Maluco posted:

If he is going to try any military adventure, it would be against Venezuela. But only if Trump supports it

backstory: he was slightly critical of the israel/palestine situation once

back-backstory: Brazilians in general are suuuuuuuper anti semitic so this is lolworthy

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
so Brazil is gonna elect the fascist still right

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Typo posted:

so Brazil is gonna elect the fascist still right

no doubt about it

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
the dude sounds like brazilian Duterte

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Elias_Maluco posted:

Lemme add an anecdote about this image: the first time I saw it was posted by the only dude I know in FB that keeps posting Soros conspiracy posts so yeah

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Are there any Latin American countries still doing good politically? How's Bolivia?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

nerdz posted:

back-backstory: Brazilians in general are suuuuuuuper anti semitic so this is lolworthy

I never heard anything about jews irl before going to high school

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

punk rebel ecks posted:

That's because it is

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Plutonis posted:

I never heard anything about jews irl before going to high school

I assume you never watched any sort of comedy shows with jewish characters like Escolinha do professor raimundo then

For most brazilians Samuel Blaustein was their only contact with jewish culture

Brazilians are also extremely racist against asians and I have to scream at my friends and family at times about it

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

the brazilian junta actively supported fascist movements in uruguay and bolivia (with uruguay, they threatened to invade if they elected a government they perceived as leftist), they helped out with the overthrow of allende in chile, and they were the ones that started Operation Condor. so bolsonaro probably isn't going to annex anybody but you'd better believe he'll try and make this a continental movement

it goes without saying that the US encouraged this behavior at every turn, and even made tanks and weapons available to the people who originally overthrew the government to create the junta (they didn't need the offer). so with trump there will be more encouragement

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 23:21 on Oct 12, 2018

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

:hmmyes:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

get that OUT of my face posted:

the brazilian junta actively supported fascist movements in uruguay and bolivia (with uruguay, they threatened to invade if they elected a government they perceived as leftist), they helped out with the overthrow of allende in chile, and they were the ones that started Operation Condor. so bolsonaro probably isn't going to annex anybody but you'd better believe he'll try and make this a continental movement

it goes without saying that the US encouraged this behavior at every turn, and even made tanks and weapons available to the people who originally overthrew the government to create the junta (they didn't need the offer). so with trump there will be more encouragement

https://twitter.com/BrasilWire/status/1050391254188654592

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017

Metal Cat has issued a correction as of 05:24 on Oct 8, 2021

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

nerdz posted:

I assume you never watched any sort of comedy shows with jewish characters like Escolinha do professor raimundo then

Brazilians are also extremely racist against asians and I have to scream at my friends and family at times about it

Not from my time, I watched escolinha do barulho instead and it had its own bad stereotypes. But agreed on the second one, my mother is a super progressive PT voter but I'm extremely embarassed to bring her to places like chinatowns in the US or watch asian cinema because she keeps making loving charlie chan style impressions.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

nerdz posted:

Don't you have a huge Japanese population though?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I mean

the US has a huge black population but that doesn’t stop white people from being racist

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lawman 0 posted:

Don't you have a huge Japanese population though?

Yeah, which means people are racist directly to asian people's faces

It's a sort of ignorant racism that they believe is harmless, but of course it isn't. I think it happens in other latin american countries

there's this japanese wrestler that worked a few years in mexico and his signature pose is opening one of his eyes (probably the most common racist "joke" asians hear, people ask them to open their eyes)

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

nerdz posted:

It's a sort of ignorant racism that they believe is harmless, but of course it isn't. I think it happens in other latin american countries
there was a guy who plays for the houston astros who did this in the world series, on camera. he even played in korea before going stateside

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

punk rebel ecks posted:

It is lol

Wasn't it pre revolution Spanish America where they introduced a reform where you could literally buy a certificate of whiteness if you were rich enough

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

nerdz posted:

backstory: he was slightly critical of the israel/palestine situation once

It kinda borrows from us. I recall on the same week people in my country being super condescending towards Palestine during the Cast Iron ordeal but then having to witness everyone sort of berating a Jewish family having a funeral on the nearby cemetery, save for like my dad (Who's very Pro-IDF) and me (Who follows Ali Abunimah on Twitter).

And yeah, the race ordeal still bleeds here as well. I know for certain that authorities started double checking me a whole more after 9/11 and was constantly told not to grow my facial hair and to keep my ID extra secure "since terrorists could use it to sneak into the Portuguese territory and do bad things here".

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 25 days!)

Kunster posted:

It kinda borrows from us. I recall on the same week people in my country being super condescending towards Palestine during the Cast Iron ordeal but then having to witness everyone sort of berating a Jewish family having a funeral on the nearby cemetery, save for like my dad (Who's very Pro-IDF) and me (Who follows Ali Abunimah on Twitter).

And yeah, the race ordeal still bleeds here as well. I know for certain that authorities started double checking me a whole more after 9/11 and was constantly told not to grow my facial hair and to keep my ID extra secure "since terrorists could use it to sneak into the Portuguese territory and do bad things here".

Why, are y'all Lebanese?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Portuguese, but part of the family tans really easily. It gets really weird having, for several years, having to prove to people that I was born here and my folk were born here as well!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Latest poll pegs Bolso at 52 and Haddad at 48. Maybe there might be an upset?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

If Haddad squeezes out a win all the Bolsonaro heads are going to claim the election was stolen, so it's mass murder either way.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

If Haddad wins they're just gonna straight up kill him.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

If Haddad wins they're just gonna straight up kill him.

Who will do him in?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

Who will do him in?

Manuela D'ávila

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
oh great, now we'll have a civil war

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

LOL "civil war". All they're gonna do is whine on social media and maybe bang on their kitchenware like cavemen

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

If Haddad squeezes out a win all the Bolsonaro heads are going to claim the election was stolen, so it's mass murder either way.

what if it's a perfect tie?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

qkkl posted:

what if it's a perfect tie?

I'm hoping for an almost perfect tie in favor of Haddad just for the drama tbh

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS