Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Keep in mind also that the 8th specifically is gerrymandered as hell. I mean, look at this poo poo:

That practically screams "This is designed to be an R seat forever"

If Schrier gets 45% that would be amazing, blue wave or not.

Laterite fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Laterite posted:

Keep in mind also that the 8th specifically is gerrymandered as hell. I mean, look at this poo poo:

That practically screams "This is designed to be an R seat forever"

If Schrier gets 45% that would be amazing, blue wave or not.
To be fair, that's not even that bad.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Do you mean how the district is drawn? Sure, it's not as bad as some of those districts in Ohio or wherever where like a single city block connects two rich zip codes or something. However, compared to the rest of Washington's districts, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dungeon Ecology posted:

'blue wave' talk is part of the reason why we had such a low voter turnout in 2016, people thought it was in the bag and no one showed up. and the blue wave kind of already showed up in the Pacific NW. 'Blue' voters are more likely to quibble amongst themselves about not being progressive enough rather than band together for a common goal.

democrats bad, blue wave wont fix anything even if it does happen i dont think it will anyways

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Has any voter roll purging hit WA?

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Doorknob Slobber posted:

democrats bad, blue wave wont fix anything even if it does happen i dont think it will anyways

that's the spirit, take those dems down a notch

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dungeon Ecology posted:

that's the spirit, take those dems down a notch

dems are already rock bottom notches my man, republicans are lovely terrible nazi rapist assholes but they're one notch above republicans because they do the bad things they say they're going to do. democrats are bad because they say they'll do good things then just let republicans do whatever they want

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Has any voter roll purging hit WA?

King County purged about 10k inactives a couple weeks ago. They define inactive as at least two returned ballots as not deliverable when I checked. Haven’t heard anything about the state.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Doorknob Slobber posted:

dems are already rock bottom notches my man, republicans are lovely terrible nazi rapist assholes but they're one notch above republicans because they do the bad things they say they're going to do. democrats are bad because they say they'll do good things then just let republicans do whatever they want

i never understood that logic like 'hey my dad beats me every evening at 5pm on the dot like clockwork, u gotta hand it to the guy he's punctual i mean i hate him but i respect him. my mom on the other hand says she's going to pick me up from soccer practice but then she doesn't what a total bitch"

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
https://www.npr.org/2018/10/11/656570464/washington-state-strikes-down-death-penalty-citing-racial-bias

The Washington State Supreme Court just struck down the death penalty. :toot:

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

This is rad and makes me very happy.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I live in that district it is nice to get rid of reichert.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 9, 2019

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Dungeon Ecology posted:

i never understood that logic like 'hey my dad beats me every evening at 5pm on the dot like clockwork, u gotta hand it to the guy he's punctual i mean i hate him but i respect him. my mom on the other hand says she's going to pick me up from soccer practice but then she doesn't what a total bitch"

Mom is handing Dad the jumper cables, and every time you want to say something to your teachers, talks you out of it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
WA uses a bipartisan (notably not nonpartisan) council to draw districts, which I think means that the incentives end up being drawing districts that preserve all incumbents. I was thinking it was weird that a blue state would have a district that was both weirdly shaped and was moderately republican--a true democratic gerrymander would pack republicans instead.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

Mom is handing Dad the jumper cables, and every time you want to say something to your teachers, talks you out of it.

Let’s be fair, she only participates like 50% of the time at most!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
In this extended metaphor, organized labor is the cool uncle who sees exactly what's going on and fucks them both up.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Also as a reminder, just like all those idiots who voted in trump are responsible for all the terrible poo poo he and the rest of his lovely party does, when you vote in democrats you're responsible for deporting more people than any president previously and drone striking american citizens without a trial. every election cycle the left has to deal with the liberal guilt trip of, 'but the other guy is SO bad you will be responsible for all that bad' but they(liberals) never hold themselves meaningfully accountable for voting in their own candidate(s) that are also so bad

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 12, 2018

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

In this extended metaphor, organized labor is the cool uncle who sees exactly what's going on and fucks them both up.

Maybe seventy or eighty years ago.

Now organized labor is the uncle who talks a big game, but the moment dad looks at him sideways, quietly apologizes, and goes and gets him a beer.

https://www.thestranger.com/slog/20...er-unionization
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/27/upshot/california-banning-soda-taxes-a-new-industry-strategy-is-stunning-some-lawmakers.html
https://www.geekwire.com/2018/tech-workers-labor-unions-housing-advocates-pack-seattle-city-hall-polarizing-tax-big-business/

And just you wait, in the name of "we negotiated this benefits for our members!" they're going to come out hard against Medicare for All, too. Organized labor in America is a loving joke, that primarily exists to protect the interests of its oldest, whitest members, and its overwhelmingly old and white leadership.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

After Reichert took the 8th seat, they gave it border cancer and it grew all the way from Auburn and adjacent cities to the over the mountains you tumor you see now, this was done as a compromise to make another Dem district safe.

Living in the 8th, I hate that this is allowed.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Also as a reminder, just like all those idiots who voted in trump are responsible for all the terrible poo poo he and the rest of his lovely party does, when you vote in democrats you're responsible for deporting more people than any president previously and drone striking american citizens without a trial. every election cycle the left has to deal with the liberal guilt trip of, 'but the other guy is SO bad you will be responsible for all that bad' but they(liberals) never hold themselves meaningfully accountable for voting in their own candidate(s) that are also so bad

Cool, so you voted for some no-name 3rd party candidate that promises a menu of poo poo they have no means to deliver and then sit here smugly blaming everyone else that the leftist they voted for hasn't solved every systemic problem in a single term.

I mean come on, you're doing nothing to move the needle while ignoring any progress that the left has made, or ground the left now has to make up. This is nothing more than public masturbation.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Solkanar512 posted:

Cool, so you voted for some no-name 3rd party candidate that promises a menu of poo poo they have no means to deliver and then sit here smugly blaming everyone else that the leftist they voted for hasn't solved every systemic problem in a single term.

I mean come on, you're doing nothing to move the needle while ignoring any progress that the left has made, or ground the left now has to make up. This is nothing more than public masturbation.

:smugjones:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I feel like the conversation is kinda conflating state and national issues here. On a national scale, doing anything other than voting for a Democrat (or someone who caucuses with Democrats) is basically a vote for the authoritarian right. In a state like Washington or Oregon, the state turning red isn't really a risk so you don't have to vote strategically. Plus, in WA specifically, we have a jungle primary so the general election never has a spoiler effect.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Solkanar512 posted:

It looks like you might be doing the exact thing he's complaining about but additionally stealing leftist valor for establishment dems

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

cheetah7071 posted:

I feel like the conversation is kinda conflating state and national issues here. On a national scale, doing anything other than voting for a Democrat (or someone who caucuses with Democrats) is basically a vote for the authoritarian right. In a state like Washington or Oregon, the state turning red isn't really a risk so you don't have to vote strategically. Plus, in WA specifically, we have a jungle primary so the general election never has a spoiler effect.

There's plenty of close races in Washington. Our Sec of State has been Republican ran for as long as I can remember. Our governor races always keep coming dangerously close. This applies to our state as well.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Solkanar512 posted:

Voting for DCCC tools isn't really helping anything, either; it's not the Republicans who prevent the Overton Window from including things like a public option or Medicare for All or have allowed huge amounts of voter suppression in the name of keeping imaginary rich, white, Democratic families happy.

The system is broke, yo.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Solkanar512 posted:

https://twitter.com/tresdessert/status/839531333525340160

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Oregon being utterly and irrevocably blue as far as the presidential race is concerned doesn't stop people from screeching at its third party voters about "giving the election to Trump" or whatever the gently caress.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

It looks like you might be doing the exact thing he's complaining about but additionally stealing leftist valor for establishment dems

Yes, this is totally it, spot on. Keep that circular firing squad going, that's really going to help folks in need.

Thanatosian posted:

Voting for DCCC tools isn't really helping anything, either; it's not the Republicans who prevent the Overton Window from including things like a public option or Medicare for All or have allowed huge amounts of voter suppression in the name of keeping imaginary rich, white, Democratic families happy.

The system is broke, yo.

No poo poo the system is broke, that's why bludgeoning anyone who voted for the democratic nominee in the general is a masturbatory act.

seiferguy posted:

There's plenty of close races in Washington. Our Sec of State has been Republican ran for as long as I can remember. Our governor races always keep coming dangerously close. This applies to our state as well.

This is the key right here. Vote for someone on the left with a chance of winning, hold their feet to the fire not to back down, and primary their asses if they fail. These bullshit fights between people who want the same loving thing are asinine.

gently caress off with this cheap bullshit. Either address the things I'm actually saying, or shut the gently caress up.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Solkanar512 posted:

gently caress off with this cheap bullshit. Either address the things I'm actually saying, or shut the gently caress up.
Would you like to start? You can start by discussing why you disagree with the points in this post:

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

anthonypants posted:

Would you like to start? You can start by discussing why you disagree with the points in this post:

Solkanar512 posted:

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Dems bad so what.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Yes, the fact that you are upset at leftists is clear. But can you explain why?

In the meantime, here's another tweet for you, since it's not clear whether you're talking about local or national politics: https://twitter.com/ciccmaher/status/1050547007440457728

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

hur dur keep up that circular firing squad that I totally didn't start :owned:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
The fact remains that today, anyone can call themselves a Democrat and run for office and still be pro-abortion, pro-war, oppose gay marriage, support the prison industry, and want to repeal Obamacare. The Democrat party has allowed this to happen. The Democrat party is bad.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

anthonypants posted:

The fact remains that today, anyone can call themselves a Democrat and run for office and still be pro-abortion, pro-war, oppose gay marriage, support the prison industry, and want to repeal Obamacare. The Democrat party has allowed this to happen. The Democrat party is bad.

sounds like u might be the problem here

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Since Republicans have slowly been expelling all sane people from their ranks over the past 20 or so years the Democratic party represents the full range of sane political thought. Sane and good aren't always the same though

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

anthonypants posted:

When I first started caring about politics I started looking at voting records of the people in office, at all levels, and it was immediately clear to me that there's no such thing as a "left wing". Republican and Democrat are basically the same. On a good day a handful of Democrats sometimes vote progressive/liberal, but only sometimes, mostly they're just voting in line with Republicans. Independents are just Republicans who are ashamed to call themselves that.

The problem, in my eyes, is that the people who want to be in office are fundamentally lovely people. It takes a real rear end in a top hat to want to "lead", at least the way we currently do politics. The way it should work is like jury duty, the people making decisions should be picked not because they campaigned but because they're forced to. We could still hold elections but the candidates shouldn't make their living/career out of being in politics.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

If you are still posting poo poo like that after two years of trump i dont know what to tell you.

e: Dino Rossi ran for governor of WA. Is he the same as the (D)s that ran? I submit not.

D and R are coalitions and represent a range of interests and attitudes. The overall attitude of the D party more reflects the most politically advantageous positions amongst the coalition than anything else; the influence of left or progressive votes is directly correlated with the left's willingness and ability to influence elections. The Democrats drifted right in the 90s because thats what won elections after several curbstomps running lefty candidates. Now they are drifting left.

Note that those who whine and dont vote have no influence whatsoever.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 12, 2018

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

If you are still posting poo poo like that after two years of trump i dont know what to tell you.
You're correct; a revolution would result in better outcomes than a reformation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm sympathetic to and fundamentally agree with "democrats don't go far enough" but if you still think democrats and republicans are the same, in 2018, you're probably just a moron