Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

kingturnip posted:

The EU Monk challenge rift is just bafflingly bad.
A LoN Wave of Light build with multiple Ancients, but also with 2 yellow armor pieces?

One of the conquests this season is for 45 with no set pieces, I assume they got a snapshot from someone doing that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

One of the conquests this season is for 45 with no set pieces, I assume they got a snapshot from someone doing that

Wouldn't LoN break that, though?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Yup. I had to instruct pubs to only go after elites and to distance themselves to get Zei's bonus after failing it a couple times. Usually grouping up makes it easier but not always. :downs:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Kyrosiris posted:

Wouldn't LoN break that, though?

If you actually had LoN, yes. The challenge rift build does not, and the fact that it's got a puzzle ring and a yellow necklace says "I just threw the spare crap I had laying around in to see if I could do a 45 without farming for more stuff"

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

If you actually had LoN, yes. The challenge rift build does not, and the fact that it's got a puzzle ring and a yellow necklace says "I just threw the spare crap I had laying around in to see if I could do a 45 without farming for more stuff"

Aha. That makes sense, then.

mewse
May 2, 2006

kingturnip posted:

The EU Monk challenge rift is just bafflingly bad.
A LoN Wave of Light build with multiple Ancients, but also with 2 yellow armor pieces?

The us one is similar, gr45, seems like a thrill run

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

I might be dumb: is there a D3 discord or clan thread somewhere?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

There's a discord, but really just join the LLJK community. Probably pretty dead at this point in the season, though. There's a HC clan.

https://discord.gg/8kdjTH

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
hello

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

You missed the most 🤔 bit: This year's murky pin

e: this year's store feels...really :effort: for some reason, and I can't tell if it's just a vibe or if they're holding back diablo merch until after the keynote for whatever-it-is

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Oct 12, 2018

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Suburban Dad posted:

There's a discord, but really just join the LLJK community. Probably pretty dead at this point in the season, though. There's a HC clan.

Thank you. Turns out my long time gaming friends have fallen in with a group that still thinks it’s hilarious to call people homophobic slurs in games and now I need new people to play with. 😞

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If all the D1 throwback art doesn't mean a remaster, maybe Blizz is gonna go reboot.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

Honestly I think a reboot would probably be better than just continuing the story.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Yep, burn it all down ( with hellfire or something idk) and start over again.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Blizzard never reboots, everything stays part of their lovely canon.

They seriously haven't written any good stories in over 15 years, they're not gonna start now.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Diablo will now be a rogue-lite ARPG with dynamic character dialogue trees, QTEs and feature over 400 hours of dialogue featuring Tara Strong and Nolan North discussing the corruption of Tyreal by Deckard Cain, who is now openly gay for Barbarian.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

Diablo will now be a rogue-lite ARPG with dynamic character dialogue trees, QTEs and feature over 400 hours of dialogue featuring Tara Strong and Nolan North discussing the corruption of Tyreal by Deckard Cain, who is now openly gay for Barbarian.

I would play this, but only because I'm thirsty for roguelikes (and roguelike-likes, and...)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Grimoire posted:

I would play this, but only because I'm thirsty for roguelikes (and roguelike-likes, and...)

Get Dead Cells

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

It's not like there isn't precedent for a reboot - Time Cultists are the directly stated reason for the Anniversary Dungeon.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Seeing as how Diablo was literally a rogue-type that Brevik just cycled multiple "turns" a second when Blizzard told him he needed to make it real time, a new Diablo rogue-like would just be a return to its roots.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Dameius posted:

Seeing as how Diablo was literally a rogue-type that Brevik just cycled multiple "turns" a second when Blizzard told him he needed to make it real time, a new Diablo rogue-like would just be a return to its roots.
That they'd mess with this concept somehow is my biggest concern when it comes to a Diablo remaster.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The diablo news is they’re bringing the Necromancer class to Overwatch for a special Halloween event.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Fuzz posted:

Blizzard never reboots, everything stays part of their lovely canon.

They seriously haven't written any good stories in over 15 years, they're not gonna start now.

Blizzard retcons so much, so heavily that sometimes it feels like a reboot. I also don't have any faith in Blizzard's writers anymore either though.

Hope they nail the gameplay on the first try this time.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Diablo 1 is effectively a non-canon game from start to finish at this point.

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness
Semi-new player question incoming - what should I be doing, now?

I started playing last season for the first time, got to 686 Paragon on a wizard before season ended, didn't really know what I was doing, and ended up spending most of my time farming for rainbow goblins because the reflex of chasing rare spawns was etched into me during Everquest 1 and I haven't yet had enough therapy to fix it.

This season I went demon hunter and I've ground up to 550 Paragon, doing messy GR73s with a UE build and non-ancient Yang's. I've gemmed my gear, but I can't tell what I should be doing next as a priority. Should I be farming mats to reroll my Yang's till I get an ancient, and then keep rerolling all of my gear forever, because that sounds soul-destroying? Should I be pushing GRs, or farming them till I get 1000+ paragon? Should I be farming gems so I can augment, or wait till I get ancients in every slot before augmenting?

These are all things people do, but I don't know which to do first. And frankly, even with double bounty season, grinding for rerolls looks absymal as an end-game objective.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Cefte posted:

Semi-new player question incoming - what should I be doing, now?

I started playing last season for the first time, got to 686 Paragon on a wizard before season ended, didn't really know what I was doing, and ended up spending most of my time farming for rainbow goblins because the reflex of chasing rare spawns was etched into me during Everquest 1 and I haven't yet had enough therapy to fix it.

This season I went demon hunter and I've ground up to 550 Paragon, doing messy GR73s with a UE build and non-ancient Yang's. I've gemmed my gear, but I can't tell what I should be doing next as a priority. Should I be farming mats to reroll my Yang's till I get an ancient, and then keep rerolling all of my gear forever, because that sounds soul-destroying? Should I be pushing GRs, or farming them till I get 1000+ paragon? Should I be farming gems so I can augment, or wait till I get ancients in every slot before augmenting?

These are all things people do, but I don't know which to do first. And frankly, even with double bounty season, grinding for rerolls looks absymal as an end-game objective.

One thing to consider, if you're doing DH and have tried only the UE set, is to grind up another set. The Shadow and Marauder sets are both a lot of fun, and play somewhat differently from UE and from each other, so they would offer another way to play your DH. Building up a GR70+ Shadow or M6 set will take some time and some mats, so that's one thing you could be focusing on instead of just pushing GRs with your UE. You might get an an ancient Yang's to drop while you're doing that -- I just had one drop for me this morning while I was farming for mats in my (so far hopeless) quest to get an ancient weapon for my Shadow set.

You could also expand beyond DH and just roll another alt -- a Monk would at least coordinate with your dex stuff from the DH.

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness

McCoy Pauley posted:

One thing to consider, if you're doing DH and have tried only the UE set, is to grind up another set. The Shadow and Marauder sets are both a lot of fun, and play somewhat differently from UE and from each other, so they would offer another way to play your DH. Building up a GR70+ Shadow or M6 set will take some time and some mats, so that's one thing you could be focusing on instead of just pushing GRs with your UE. You might get an an ancient Yang's to drop while you're doing that -- I just had one drop for me this morning while I was farming for mats in my (so far hopeless) quest to get an ancient weapon for my Shadow set.

You could also expand beyond DH and just roll another alt -- a Monk would at least coordinate with your dex stuff from the DH.
That's a good point, I've actually already got full sets (and a couple of ancients) for Shadow, Marauder and Natalya's, so I'll get to grips with the different playstyles for a bit - thanks for the tip! That said, once I've done *that*, I take it my priority is an ancient mainhand weapon by reroll if one hasn't dropped by then? I've zero interest in playing alts within-season, for no reason I can clearly enunciate.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

If you're Shadow then you have a better chance of rolling up an ancient dagger by doing the Hope of Cain cube recipe because it's much less resource intensive than reforging legendaries. 50/50 shot to get a Karlei's Point, and even if you get an Ancient Greenstone instead you can work in FoK pretty well.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Honestly, once you have a basic level of competence in your gear, which clearing a 70 requires, your first priority should be getting a decent ancient weapon. That'll be a ~30% power boost right off the bat.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
Is this the new thread where I would ask to join a guild? I usually do HC but I'm taking it easy this time around.
Is LLJK still the SC guild? Can I come in? Quad#11538. Thanks in advance!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Quad posted:

Is this the new thread where I would ask to join a guild? I usually do HC but I'm taking it easy this time around.
Is LLJK still the SC guild? Can I come in? Quad#11538. Thanks in advance!

Suburban Dad posted:

just join the LLJK community. Probably pretty dead at this point in the season, though. There's a HC clan.

Pindakaas
Jul 8, 2003

I'm not a baby I'm a man! An Anchorman!
I want to play on the side of the demons for once and kill all the heroes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Some very early concepts for the D3 Demon Hunter had you playing as a literal demon, which was interesting although ultimately out of place for that game.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

e: this year's store feels...really :effort: for some reason, and I can't tell if it's just a vibe or if they're holding back diablo merch until after the keynote for whatever-it-is

The store matches the tone of the Warcraft expansion this year then, as well.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

exquisite tea posted:

Some very early concepts for the D3 Demon Hunter had you playing as a literal demon, which was interesting although ultimately out of place for that game.
Honestly a bunch of Nephilim joining renegade demons and angels trying to brutally drive out the ETERNAL WAR FOREVER! assholes out of sanctuary would be a better story than what we got........low bar to clear I know.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I mean, the basic idea of Diablo playing a long con to basically off his siblings and become the Prime Evil is actually a really cool twist and a great plot idea... It's just that everything about the execution sucked.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Darkhold posted:

Honestly a bunch of Nephilim joining renegade demons and angels trying to brutally drive out the ETERNAL WAR FOREVER! assholes out of sanctuary would be a better story than what we got........low bar to clear I know.

I really feel like that's on the way. Imperius is a grouchy rear end in a top hat, and the art devs get more latitude in developing enemy assets with divergent appearance than what we're used to. Could be win-win. Not like the loving story matters to a single person over there anyhow.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

What happened to the Hardcore thread? I haven't seen any new posts since season 14 ended, where's the good players at?

https://twitter.com/d3puns/status/1051830798440169472

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Eh everything kind of collapsed into this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Elizabeth Mills posted:

What happened to the Hardcore thread? I haven't seen any new posts since season 14 ended, where's the good players at?

https://twitter.com/d3puns/status/1051830798440169472

Still mad at myself for eventually disenchanting the Slice Device and Cleave Edge I found.