Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

radlum
May 13, 2013

JordanKai posted:

Who is that in the top middle? The only thing I can think of is Legion, which doesn't seem likely.

Groot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The Namor stuff in Avengers doesn't seem to square with what's going on in X-Men Red at all. Almost makes you want a continuity editor!

tragedyjones
Oct 26, 2010
I love, love LOVE Namor. He's one of my favorites. And yes, he is a beast underwater, but even I feel he was a little overpowered in Avengers #9. He basically no-sold hits from the entire Avengers roster.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

pubic works project posted:

Yeah I think the guy above Gladiator is Warlock. The dome-head is probably Nova since there is a small point on top. Big guy is probably Groot, but it'd interesting if the "head" was a Brood.

Grown up Broo fulfilling the same role of Beast in classic Avengers.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Squirrel Girl still so good. Also give North a Black Widow series.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Nova and Darkhawk are in. I don't know who that is with the white hair. Is that Phyla?

https://twitter.com/marvel/status/1050488890946142210?s=21

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Nova and Darkhawk are in. I don't know who that is with the white hair. Is that Phyla?

It's Phyla from a neighboring universe, as seen in Infinity Wars. She came over to swap their Reality Gem for 616's, then ended up in a fight with Gamora.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
catching up on some comics from previous weeks and i enjoyed the group therapy session in the domino annual

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I'm guessing the last four of this Guardians team is Quill, Surfer, Warlock, and probably Groot.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Sad there's no Kosmo, Ronan, or Super Skrull. :smith: Especially Kosmo

Edit: I can still be sad that there's no Ronan to be insecure on a team when it comes to power levels!

Jiro fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 11, 2018

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Jiro posted:

Sad there's no Kosmo, Ronan, or Super Skrull. :smith: Especially Kosmo

Isn't Ronan dead?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Isn't Ronan dead?

That has absolutely stopped characters from appearing in comic books before.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Touché

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

It's DC, but in Red Hood Jason is told by Bruce his best friend died and his reaction was "huh. well so did you once. And me. And Damian. And everyone in our business. I'll be sure to give him poo poo next time I see him once he comes back"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Maybe Cosmo is below the frame since he's beink a good boy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I only acknowledge new team covers where they are looking up at a camera and someone is saying "You wanna make something of it?"

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I only care about teams with Rockslide as one of the members.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot

Endless Mike posted:

I only acknowledge new team covers where they are looking up at a camera and someone is saying "You wanna make something of it?"

The way Cosmic Ghost Rider is cocking his head, it's still possible for that line to appear!

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

A dream of mine is that someone does an Imperial Guard book.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Pretty dope lineup.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Star Lord's helmet being a mask loving sucks.

edit: This hot take from 2012~

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Does Ghost Rider need a helmet so that he can get oxygen or so that his skull fire can get oxygen?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

X-O posted:

Pretty dope lineup.

I CALLED IT!

I know nobody care...

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I wonder if that's dark surfer from the cosmic ghost rider timeline or if he's just drawn that way to fit the motif

Either way that's an op as gently caress team, they better be getting in some awesome fights

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

X-O posted:

Pretty dope lineup.

I'm still not sold on Cates' schtick and am not very fond of wacky Ghost Rider, so I'm a little biased, but this line-up ticks off a lot of boxes that usually bore me. A) It's huge. B) It's overwhelmingly male. C) It's a lot of characters with nebulously overwhelming power. D) It's a lot of characters who tend towards grim-faced stoic soliloquizing. E) If we only count humans/Earth-people and there's not a big surprise under the Darkhawk helmet, is it all-white? F) Personally I have never cared about Silver Surfer, Gladiator, or any Nova except Sam, and I think both Adam Warlock and Beta Ray Bill are deathly boring under anybody but Starlin and Simonson respectively. Ditto I think the Darkhawks, plural, work as an antagonistic force in Cosmic Marvel but no Darkhawk as a single character in a protagonist role has ever been anything but a wet wheeze escaping from a rubber bladder labelled "1991" to me.

Granted the "classic" post-Annihilation Guardians team, especially in the wake of the movie, has some of these same problems, but I liked the ramshackle, dysfunctional vibe that went along with it that seems like less of a seamless fit with this group. I liked the anarchic, almost screwball energy of Gerry Duggan's run, which made the universe feel truly alien and bizarre in a fun and unpredictable way, this seems like just a bunch of buff people and Groot being mighty near a galaxy.

Maybe this is just my way of sulking and muttering "where's Cosmo." In full disclosure my dream team for a GotG book at this point is PAD and ChrisCross with the Captain Marvel reunion tour nobody asked for, so feel free to dismiss this post as the depraved grunting of a nostalgia-poisoned space perv.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 12, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Chuck Wendig fired from Marvel because of political tweets.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/marvel-fires-star-wars-writer-chuck-wendig-1151966
https://twitter.com/ChuckWendig/status/1050822080130895878

From his Twitter thread so far it seems like there was a sizable online campaign against him for putting LGBT characters in his previous Star Wars novel.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 12, 2018

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Archyduke posted:

I'm still not sold on Cates' schtick and am not very fond of wacky Ghost Rider, so I'm a little biased, but this line-up ticks off a lot of boxes that usually bore me. A) It's huge. B) It's overwhelmingly male. C) It's a lot of characters with nebulously overwhelming power. D) It's a lot of characters who tend towards grim-faced stoic soliloquizing. E) If we only count humans/Earth-people and there's not a big surprise under the Darkhawk helmet, is it all-white? F) Personally I have never cared about Silver Surfer, Gladiator, or any Nova except Sam, and I think both Adam Warlock and Beta Ray Bill are deathly boring under anybody but Starlin and Simonson respectively. Ditto I think the Darkhawks, plural, work as an antagonistic force in Cosmic Marvel but no Darkhawk as a single character in a protagonist role has ever been anything but a wet wheeze escaping from a rubber bladder labelled "1991" to me.

Granted the "classic" post-Annihilation Guardians team, especially in the wake of the movie, has some of these same problems, but I liked the ramshackle, dysfunctional vibe that went along with it that seems like less of a seamless fit with this group. I liked the anarchic, almost screwball energy of Gerry Duggan's run, which made the universe feel truly alien and bizarre in a fun and unpredictable way, this seems like just a bunch of buff people and Groot being mighty near a galaxy.

Maybe this is just my way of sulking and muttering "where's Cosmo." In full disclosure my dream team for a GotG book at this point is PAD and ChrisCross with the Captain Marvel reunion tour nobody asked for, so feel free to dismiss this post as the depraved grunting of a nostalgia-poisoned space perv.

Hey I understand. It's not for everyone. I just love cosmic Marvel so this gets me excited. I especially love Richard Rider. This book might not work and I'm not a huge fan of Cosmic Ghost Rider. I feel like he's about to be the new Deadpool shoved down all our throats. But if this book jumpstarts cosmic stuff like Annihilation, then I'll be content.

I love DnA's Nova and Guardians. I don't like the movie roster at all...especially when it comes with wacky stuff. But I did enjoy them when they were joined with Bug, Mantis, Warlock, etc.

This roster definitely needs Cosmo and Mantis though.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/marvel-fires-star-wars-writer-chuck-wendig-1151966

From his Twitter thread so far it seems like there was a sizable online campaign against him for putting LGBT characters in his previous Star Wars novel.

Oh gently caress that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

That goes in and has already been posted in the thread we specifically made for things like this.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3836728

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Hey I understand. It's not for everyone. I just love cosmic Marvel so this gets me excited. I especially love Richard Rider. This book might not work and I'm not a huge fan of Cosmic Ghost Rider. I feel like he's about to be the new Deadpool shoved down all our throats. But if this book jumpstarts cosmic stuff like Annihilation, then I'll be content.

I love DnA's Nova and Guardians. I don't like the movie roster at all...especially when it comes with wacky stuff. But I did enjoy them when they were joined with Bug, Mantis, Warlock, etc.

This roster definitely needs Cosmo and Mantis though.

I liked most of DnA's Guardians stuff but I felt-- and I'm realizing now what the Cates team is largely, perhaps a callback to-- like a lot of momentum and frisson was lost during the Annihilators stuff. I'll co-sign desperately wanting Bug and/or Mantis back though. Whatever happened to Drax's sidekick Cami? Did she just vanish after the Avengers Arena poo poo? I'd also be interested to see if a more versatile writer could successfully give a personality to the Nick Spencer-created Quasar. And while I'm just wishing, if Al Ewing isn't using her surely nobody has dibs on Monica Rambeau, who has not to my knowledge ever had a shot on a real space-faring team.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

X-O posted:

That goes in and has already been posted in the thread we specifically made for things like this.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3836728

I figured, but it's also just news for anyone who was looking forward to that SW comic.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Pretty sure that Avril, the newest Quasar, died in Secret Empire.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

X-O posted:

Pretty sure that Avril, the newest Quasar, died in Secret Empire.

Yeah she died blowing up the defense shield that HYDRA put around the world.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Lmao, why did he even bother creating her if she was going to be introduced, shuffled off to the sidelines, and then almost immediately blown up? Presumably nobody in editorial was clamoring for her death one way or the other.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I imagine it was just another instance of The Colossus Effect. A heavy hitter gets killed or taken off the board just to show how deep the poo poo is our heroes are in. Kind of of like recently offing Magus and then Thanos immediately in the current Infinity event.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Archyduke posted:

Lmao, why did he even bother creating her if she was going to be introduced, shuffled off to the sidelines, and then almost immediately blown up? Presumably nobody in editorial was clamoring for her death one way or the other.

Well she was both created and killed by Nick Spencer, and opinions on him are... awkward, to say the least, but presumably he had her death in mind from the moment she started.

However you could also apply that to like half of Hickman's Avengers lineup (hey guys remember Starbrand? Or Nightmask? Or what's-his-name the gold creation guy? They sure had... like one moment each)

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 12, 2018

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Well she was both created and killed by Nick Spencer, and opinions on him are... awkward, to say the least, but presumably he had her death in mind from the moment she started.

Right, she came about in the aftermath of his stupid Brainwash Village crossover, muddled around in the pages of Captain America as it built up to Secret Empire and didn't really appear anywhere else, as far as I know. I think the comparison to some of Hickman's weird high-concept characters is apt-- she made a nice reveal but I feel like Spencer hadn't considered how to make narrative space for somebody that powerful in a fairly low-power intrigue-type book, in the same way that I feel Hickman introduced these very powerful new characters whose abilities and backgrounds almost demanded pushing the Marvel Universe in a more speculative direction, but backed off when he realized he couldn't or didn't care to do that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
tbf starbrand and Nightmask are still alive and at least hickman gave ex nilio and whatever his sister's name is the entire first arc of avengers and then brought them back later and expanded on the concept before killing them all off

I think quasar was in like ten whole pages total the entire way from pleasantville to secret empire

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

rip pod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

tbf starbrand and Nightmask are still alive and at least hickman gave ex nilio and whatever his sister's name is the entire first arc of avengers and then brought them back later and expanded on the concept before killing them all off

I think quasar was in like ten whole pages total the entire way from pleasantville to secret empire

Starbrand was killed in Marvel Legacy #1. He went nutso because of the The Final Host.

The Pod suit at least. Aikku is still alive. Just last we saw her new suit also got trashed.

X-O fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 12, 2018