Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's insane that there hasn't been a sequel to TWEWY yet.

Half of the TWEWY staff got funneled into making Picross games and I think the other half was just eaten by the Kingdom Hearts franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Bombadilillo posted:

My daughter stole a star from me and won 5 to 1 stars.

I was unacceptably upset at her.

Oh, but your dice rolls were close to an average of 3.66 than any other player! Have 6 bonus stars!

content
Feb 13, 2014

YggiDee posted:

Half of the TWEWY staff got funneled into making Picross games

Well, at least some good came out of it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

YggiDee posted:

other half was just eaten by the Kingdom Hearts franchise.

Well at least some good came out of it

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Super Mario Party is correctly dickish to you. It is finely balanced to annoy good players, and reward lucky players

It's perfectly how Mario Party should be. Even some of the motion games that don't work are in the spirit of Mario Party—that I can't immediately MLG perfect-run these games, to me, is an underrated way to make the game more fun for less-experienced players, since friends will sometimes perform better. Starting to really like the Joycon fist bump in team games

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Reviews told me "this one has actual strategy" and I mean, yeah, but it's still luckiest. That's ok. Just a bit miss sold. Which isnt the games fault.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Spellman posted:

Super Mario Party is correctly dickish to you. It is finely balanced to annoy good players, and reward lucky players

It's perfectly how Mario Party should be. Even some of the motion games that don't work are in the spirit of Mario Party—that I can't immediately MLG perfect-run these games, to me, is an underrated way to make the game more fun for less-experienced players, since friends will sometimes perform better. Starting to really like the Joycon fist bump in team games

Is THAT what it's trying to get you to do? We never figured that motion out in the 3 boards we played.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
It seems that every five years SquareEnix releases a hot new IP from a hot new studio that they end up not real doing much with.

First it was TWEWY which got no sequel, then was Braverly Default which only got one sequel, and now Octopath to which you know SquareEnix is going to flounder its success.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

punk rebel ecks posted:

It seems that every five years SquareEnix releases a hot new IP from a hot new studio that they end up not real doing much with.

First it was TWEWY which got no sequel, then was Braverly Default which only got one sequel, and now Octopath to which you know SquareEnix is going to flounder its success.

Super Mario RPG 2: when? Hurry up and do it Square!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

pixaal posted:

Is THAT what it's trying to get you to do? We never figured that motion out in the 3 boards we played.

It teaches you this by forcing you to do this when you first pick a party the first time you turn the game on.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm so glad the Hitman team made it out of the dumbfuck Squeenix management. Deus Ex wasn't so lucky :(

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

They did promo image of the octopath crew in the shape of a bravely default fairy so something night come of that

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Bravely Default is not developed by square enix. It's just published.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Sega and Square, two companies that laughably mishandle incredible IPs.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i am skeptical that octopath traveler is a hot new property

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

It already has sold over a million copies and was the best selling game in NPD July.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

weird

Spellman
May 31, 2011

pixaal posted:

I think it's trying to make you do a Mario fist bump, I don't think it's picky

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

You can simply press a button for the fist bump.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

katkillad2 posted:

How is this game by the way? I keep getting almost tricked into buying 1-2 year old Steam games. I only say tricked since I assume they are cheaper on Steam

Also curious about Dungeon Village if anyone decides to pick that up or played it in the past.

I think Alwa's might be the same price actually, but it's good, I'm enjoying it a lot! It's tricky, some of the jumps are pretty precise but it's not obnoxious about it and it's not a game about upgrading your attacks and weapons so far at least so every critter you see can be lethal if you're not careful. All the animations are really charming too. Just a good as heck NES-like adventure

Chip-tune or whatever doesn't generally do that much for me but the music has been really nice so far, this intro area track is ridiculously catchy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XU9tKwiojA

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Super No Vacancy posted:

I've seen a lot of replies in here that complain it's a bit repetitive and samey after a while. While this is true I'm a bit baffled at that statement given it's a jRPG and 90% of what they do is repetitive and samey so :shrug:. It's the only jRPG I've lasted more than 2 hours with in decades so they're doing something right.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Octopath is far from perfect but I think it was a successful experiment. Hopefully they'll iterate on it.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
I guess I should maybe try TWEWY out on iOS again. Something about it was not fun at all but I can't remember what haha. Felt pretty oriented towards teenagers who like j-pop

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Octopath is a great old school rpg, with a lot of modern fun thrown in, and a few hold annoying problems. If you have affection for that style of game I think it's extremely good. Dont know if it will make anybody a fan of them though.

I loved it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I like the genre i just wish octopath wasn’t so bland.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
I wish they'd done final remix in the WiiU era then you could have done the dual screen gameplay properly.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

octopath was a pretty big hit for a JRPG, which pretty much anyone could have seen coming from the overwhelmingly positive reaction to all the previews/marketing/demos for it, and it somehow being the highest profile release of the entire summer across all systems

whether it's a good game is debatable but there are too many different JRPG player mindsets for there ever to be a consensus on anything in that genre

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

CharlestheHammer posted:

I like the genre i just wish octopath wasn’t so bland.
I think that's been my problem too. It feels like an awesome art style used to deliver really bland content. Maybe it picks up later on, but I've had it for a couple months and every time I start to play it, I get bored and stop again in an hour or so.

And it's not like I'm against RPGs with an oldschool play style, I've been hooked on Dragon Quest 11 on PC lately.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I never felt it was bland. How far are you in? The first chapters, by design are pretty simple so they can be beaten by a single character. (They do scale but theres not a lot of tricks or strategy needed).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Bombadilillo posted:

I never felt it was bland. How far are you in? The first chapters, by design are pretty simple so they can be beaten by a single character. (They do scale but theres not a lot of tricks or strategy needed).

None of the characters stories or personalities are very memorable or really interesting. Which is the problem. All the characters feel really generic which may be an issue with how it was set up.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i wish the switch had more jrpgs

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Looper posted:

i wish the switch had more jrpgs

Same

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Compile Heart and Gust are working as fast as they can.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Chronojam posted:

Octopath is far from perfect but I think it was a successful experiment. Hopefully they'll iterate on it.

This is pretty much my take. There's plenty to like there, and it's definitely unique. I'd say I was vaguely disappointed with Octopath, but for the most part I did enjoy it. I'd like to see the basic idea expanded on and fleshed out.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

One week til Dark Souls 😰😰😰

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I have heard you can not pause in dark souls? It's on consoles now that have home buttons, can you just press those?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Al Borland Corpse posted:

I have heard you can not pause in dark souls? It's on consoles now that have home buttons, can you just press those?

When you come back your dude probably gonna be dead.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Al Borland Corpse posted:

Kicks you to the main menu if you suspend.

I think the game is still running in the background if you go to home button to look at other stuff.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyqMzrTyiPQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I want the goddamn Darius collection to come over here. The special edition that includes all the console games is 240 fuckin dollars to import.