Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Anything for Dragon Quest VII? 3DS version if it matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

Anything for Dragon Quest VII? 3DS version if it matters.

It's pretty straightforward. Press B every so often to hear party chatter which usually points you in the next direction. Sometimes you'll get stuck in one area which usually means you haven't talked to everyone the requisite number of times.

When you do unlock the class system, have Maribel follow a martial class path. She leaves at a certain point then you fight a super hard boss and if Maribel was your primary healer you're boned without some grinding which is annoying because the game is otherwise fair. You never have to grind and don't feel obligated to buy every piece of new equipment when you hit a town.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Seems pretty straightforward, but anything for The Mummy Demastered?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Just ran into this, but Elex has point inflation for some godforsaken reason. Not sure if it happens for skill points, but once you hit 31 in an attribute it costs 2 per upgrade.
It's something the development studio just likes to do, it has been in their games since the Gothic series. The point of it is to make you diversify, since their games have always been very big on out-of-combat uses for skills and such. Don't think of it as too crippling, because Elex, like most of their games, doesn't really translate stats into direct combat power. They're mostly there to gate you from equipping the best equipment right away if you could find it, because that's what actually makes you stronger. A level 1 character with 100 in every stat doesn't hit meaningfully harder than a regular one. I would know, I've tried it.

And no, I don't remember it happening for skill points. Every level matters for those.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Oct 9, 2018

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I'm just mad about it since I have found 4 different weapons early on that have insane stat requirements. Such as a bow with 70 STR and 30 something dex requirements. A pulse rifle that has a dex of 58? and int 36, and a sword that wants similar stats but with Str and int. And by "early on" I mean I stumbled upon them within 3 hours of the starting point of the game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Nomadic Scholar posted:

I'm just mad about it since I have found 4 different weapons early on that have insane stat requirements. Such as a bow with 70 STR and 30 something dex requirements. A pulse rifle that has a dex of 58? and int 36, and a sword that wants similar stats but with Str and int. And by "early on" I mean I stumbled upon them within 3 hours of the starting point of the game.
Believe me, I get it, but that's just how the former Piranha Bytes guys do things. Gothic worked on the same general blueprint that everything is already there in the world right from the beginning, whether your game progress allows you to already use it or whether it fits into the current power level of where you are in the main plot. There were tons and tons of random things just lying around all over the place and it made exploring for the sake of exploring feel really rewarding.

To some people, this really appeals, because it makes the world feel more like a living place that you're just exploring rather than something that revolves entirely around you. To others, well, they feel more like you do, that everything is kind of overwhelming and you're struggling just to scrape by and even to use the few rewards that you can hold on to.

If it's really completely intolerable to you, simply use a memory editor or a trainer or something and give yourself infinite skill points. No one's around to judge you for it and, as I said, stats don't matter too much so it actually won't break the difficulty curve over its knee nearly as much as you'd think it should.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Anything for Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise for the Sony Playstation 4 home video game console?

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Wrex Ruckus posted:

Anything for Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise for the Sony Playstation 4 home video game console?
You want to give the Bartender and Nightclub minigames attention as soon as you unlock them - Stores expand their inventory as you befriend shop owners by making them drinks, you also get an accessory that keeps random encounters from pestering you around Eden from bartending. And you get an accessory that reveals sidequests on the map from one of the later Nightclub missions.

When you find a friendly Hokuto Shinken user, you can go back to him to learn new moves whenever you get to a "locked" space on the Skill tree. These moves are pretty useful, and the final one in particular can make bosses less of a headache. It might be worth it to focus hard on getting all these moves ASAP.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 10, 2018

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Anything for Assassin's Creed: Odyssey?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

PJOmega posted:

It's almost identical to Origins in most ways but a few differences

- Skills are now mostly active, requiring you to spend a level of "adrenaline" to do them. A few are passive, others are still active but trade off requiring adrenaline for a long cooldown (like poisoned blades)

- Sync points increase your bird's perception levels.

- Don't waste your money on engraving most things.

- Spartan Kick is great for knocking enemies off rooftops for huge damage. The shield breaker one is very useful as well, since a huge number of enemies use shields.

- AFAIK the only way to heal during combat is by using the active healing ability.

- Crafting materials are used only for upgrading weapons/boat, no ammo pouches or whatever.

- A surprising number of things can catch fire.

E. -The "parry" actually has a really long window, it is more of a soft block that parries whatever hits you at that time, and knocks back everyone around you. Abuse it

- Ramming a broken down ship dead middle at speed will split the ship in two and give you way more resources than boarding, for some reason.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 10, 2018

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

- It isn't necessary to upgrade things early on, since you'll be getting items that will be matched closely to your level. You might want to upgrade your bow if you are going for a Hunter build.
- In the end-game purples might be better than golds, since golds can have a set bonus whereas purples will give you an engravement slot there (so it has up to 4 slots).
- If you complete an armor set, it will be leveled up to your current level as you put the last piece on.
- You can reset your abilities whenever and as much as you like. The currency cost for a respec is dependent on your level, but it stays reasonable.
- You can occasionally find tombs that offer additional ability points. Usually you need to break some walls to get inside the actual tomb itself.
- You can craft arrows in combat, only certain actions (like rolling) block it for a second.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 10, 2018

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

Believe me, I get it, but that's just how the former Piranha Bytes guys do things. Gothic worked on the same general blueprint that everything is already there in the world right from the beginning, whether your game progress allows you to already use it or whether it fits into the current power level of where you are in the main plot. There were tons and tons of random things just lying around all over the place and it made exploring for the sake of exploring feel really rewarding.

To some people, this really appeals, because it makes the world feel more like a living place that you're just exploring rather than something that revolves entirely around you. To others, well, they feel more like you do, that everything is kind of overwhelming and you're struggling just to scrape by and even to use the few rewards that you can hold on to.

If it's really completely intolerable to you, simply use a memory editor or a trainer or something and give yourself infinite skill points. No one's around to judge you for it and, as I said, stats don't matter too much so it actually won't break the difficulty curve over its knee nearly as much as you'd think it should.

I actually love that the game has such a full and rich world full of stuff to hunt down. I just felt bummed at first when I couldn't upgrade any weapons for a long time. I'm just used to games giving me upgrades quicker when presented with shiny new gear. Can you ever outfit your companions?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

CuddleCryptid posted:

- AFAIK the only way to heal during combat is by using the active healing ability.

Using any adrenaline ability will restore a small amount of health, but Second Wind (in the warrior tree) is the only significant heal in the game, yeah.

quote:

- Ramming a broken down ship dead middle at speed will split the ship in two and give you way more resources than boarding, for some reason.

I haven't tested the math to see if it gets you the bonus resources, but it seems that hitting a ship at full sail also counts as ramming, so it's something to keep in mind if you're trying to save your rower energy; just finish fighting the active enemies and loose sails and mop up the remaining boats. You can also start a battle by ramming a ship at full sail for big damage, and then you'll be in javelin range to boot.

Other tips:

- You won't have enough skill points to unlock every skill in the game fully, so the game wants you to specialize -- that said, I feel there are great skills in each tree that benefit you no matter what you're trying to do. Second Wind in the warrior tree is a great heal to have in your pocket, as mentioned above. The Overpower shot in the top of the Hunter tree is an amazing ability that absolutely wrecks groups (and does single target damage on par with most of the melee overpowers). The "sight of athena" skill or whatever at the bottom of the assassin tree is your "press button to locate treasure in your vicinity" pulse and honestly should probably just be in the base game but whatever. And each tree has a passive "do XX% more assassin/warrior/hunter damage" skill that's honestly not a bad thing to have.

- The sidequests marked with a gold border around the diamond are individually-crafted, and offer insights into the characters/region you're exploring. They're not witcher-caliber, but they're pretty good, and are the sidequests you should focus on if you need extra xp or whatever. In contrast, the sidequests with a white border are generic radiant filler quests that might as well be procedurally generated, don't feel the need to do them unless you're desperate for the rewards.

- Wood will be a bottleneck for upgrading your ship, so make sure you dismantle any weapons you aren't using instead of selling them -- they tend to give you wood. Also make sure to loot war supplies before burning them, sometimes they have wood too. Check blacksmiths to see if they're selling wood as well. Sometimes they also sell ancient tablets, which are the other bottleneck (these will be found in ruins, so loot those as you find them).

- You cannot die from fall damage, ever, so feel free to just jump off a high cliff if it's the most direct route to where you're trying to go (just make sure you don't get bit by a wolf or something immediately after you land)

- The game will slowly introduce more key mechanics via the main story, so if you can control yourself at all, it's worth focusing on the main plot until it takes you to the island of Andros--I think that after this point, the game has nothing new to teach you and you can go hogwild with whatever you want to do but someone please correct me if there's more.

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 10, 2018

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

^^^ It's hard to say if ramming with normal travel speed counts for splitting, but by the fact that it does play the splitting animation I would assume that it does give you bonus. Plus I think it auto-collects like when you "properly" ram rather than you having to grab it out of the water.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

CuddleCryptid posted:

^^^ It's hard to say if ramming with normal travel speed counts for splitting, but by the fact that it does play the splitting animation I would assume that it does give you bonus. Plus I think it auto-collects like when you "properly" ram rather than you having to grab it out of the water.

Yeah, it definitely auto-collects, so I assume it gives you the bonus, too. But I haven't sat down with like, a spreadsheet and calculator, tallying up and comparing average loot drops or anything so I can't be positive.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Nomadic Scholar posted:

I actually love that the game has such a full and rich world full of stuff to hunt down. I just felt bummed at first when I couldn't upgrade any weapons for a long time. I'm just used to games giving me upgrades quicker when presented with shiny new gear. Can you ever outfit your companions?
Sorry, companion gear is static, but on the plus side, it also vaguely reflects their general level (which is tied to yours) and you never have to actually heal them. Get any companion at any level, they'll adjust themselves to you.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

PJOmega posted:

There's a teleport assassination skill that can chain when you level it up. It is almost hilariously broken, mechanics wise, but the damage it does is still based on your stats so it isn't always a one shot.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Oh, also

- Don't take the armor sets off the Ubsioft Club page. They aren't skins, they are level 5 crap that you can't sell or dismantle as far as I know, so they will sit in your inventory forever.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

Sorry, companion gear is static, but on the plus side, it also vaguely reflects their general level (which is tied to yours) and you never have to actually heal them. Get any companion at any level, they'll adjust themselves to you.

This owns bones. And let's me pick the companion I like the most and run with him. (It's Falk as of now.) But yeah, there are a ton of cool environmental puzzles in the game that are some idiot who hid loot before croaking. I'm gonna pick up an item scanner skill just to help with those.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Nomadic Scholar posted:

This owns bones. And let's me pick the companion I like the most and run with him. (It's Falk as of now.) But yeah, there are a ton of cool environmental puzzles in the game that are some idiot who hid loot before croaking. I'm gonna pick up an item scanner skill just to help with those.
Yeah, you're entirely free to pick them based on personal like and dislike or compatibility with your own combat build, so exploit it for all it's worth. You can switch more or less freely, except for the part where they have a tendency to walk themselves back to the areas where you found them.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Pierzak posted:

Sorry for specific question, but I remember that it's practically impossible not to get spoiled if you look up anything about this game, so:

About to start 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors, specifically the NDS version. I remember something about a nasty bug where you're not supposed to save somewhere (certain room? all puzzle rooms? somewhere else?) or the save will get hosed up beyond repair. Is this bug present in the NDS version and if so, which places/situations are dangerous?

What was mentioned to me when i started playing this game (have fun btw, it's treat!) is that the only meaningful decisions are what doors you go through and that the dialog choices don't matter unless you're going for the true ending. But if you're like me you'll end up picking all the dialog options that will lead to the true ending, but unless you've done something else first, otherwise that will always lead to the fake true ending.

So basically don't go down the same path trying different dialog option combinations, it don't do nothing :v:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
To clarify, I wasn't asking for game advice, just specifically about the bug.

VVV: Aaaand that's my cue to leave this thread.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Oct 11, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
One actual bit of advice for 999 though; pay attention to the post-credit stingers. They're hints for how to get certain endings.

content
Feb 13, 2014

Just hooked up my NES for the first time in forever, and I didn't see tips for The Legend of Zelda and Zelda II: The Adventure of Link on the site. Might be nice!

For Zelda 2, from the Switch thead:

The Bloop posted:

Just knowing how XP and temple completion works in ZeldaII makes a massive difference in the game.

For those that don't know, ZeldaII has actual XP and level progression and one if the rewards at the end of every temple is giving you however much XP you need to level whether it's 5 or 5000, so you should often grind to a level up just before the boss then gain a whole level worth of XP for clearing the temple. If you don't, you'll probably be underleveled for the end game.

Leaving the 1ups (the weirdest thing about the game) until endgame is also extremely helpful, but obsoleted by save states.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CuddleCryptid posted:

Oh, also

- Don't take the armor sets off the Ubsioft Club page. They aren't skins, they are level 5 crap that you can't sell or dismantle as far as I know, so they will sit in your inventory forever.

There's a chest on your ship where you can store unwanted gear.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Kind of a weird one, I know, but: Black Ops 4

- There's an option to skip the obnoxious start up video tucked away under "Interface" in the Settings menu, at least on PC.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Since I can't seem to find anything elsewhere, got a couple of Let It Die questions.

1.) Is it possible to abandon quests?

2.) How do you ain't weapons? Guide suggests shooting frogs with a firework gun but I cannot get it to work.

3.) Possibly related to 2, how do I lock on?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

PJOmega posted:

Since I can't seem to find anything elsewhere, got a couple of Let It Die questions.

1.) Is it possible to abandon quests?

2.) How do you ain't weapons? Guide suggests shooting frogs with a firework gun but I cannot get it to work.

3.) Possibly related to 2, how do I lock on?

Check my posts for recent advice and I have also had my tips put on BeforeIPlay.com.

1) Yes, at the little quest terminal in your waiting room, the far right tab is your active quests and by selecting one you can abandon it (it will ask to confirm). Or you can do so by talking to the girl in the “real world” too.

2) Most weapons except pistols, assault rifles and sniper rifles require you to lock on to aim.

3) Press R3. Or is it L3? I can’t get to my PS4 at the moment due to a busted ankle but one or the other. There will be an arrow over what you lock onto. The thread in Games is OK but inactive and a lot has changed in the game since it was active.

As I said before if you have any other questions I’m always happen to talk LID. The Reddit for it is somewhat useful as well in terms of material locations etc.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

PRL412 posted:

Wow, no page for Destiny 2 yet? I swear this was covered recently.

-Pick a class based on the super move and the class abilities. (Titan = tanky shield and deployable cover, Hunter = nimble bo staff and dodge move, Warlock = Sith on the loose and team buffs)
-Do the story first. You're at a disadvantage in the Crucible until you've fully upgraded a subclass. (Hunter class almost requires the Dodge ability)
-The sub-classes can all be unlocked in one play through, but you'll need a new character to change your main class. You'll have enough points to upgrade them all too, so get what you want.
-You'll find better gear until Level 250, and then the hard cap sets in until you buy an expansion. (I believe Forsaken currently goes up to Level 600.)
-If you want to play long term, join a clan and pick up all the expansions.

I'll also add that it was announced recently (today?) That if you buy the forsaken expansion on or after October you'll get the previous two dlc for free.

If you already bought forsaken you'll get extra dumb stuff so if dude can wait for a couple days he probably just be reaching 250 and then pick up all the expansions.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Anyone have some advice for Dragon Quest Builders?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Took Momodora Reverie Under the Moonlight out for a spin and this seems a loooot darker than expected... and also probably filled with secrets. Anything a first timer should know? Just stuff that might be unintuitive to do, or things that lock out major content, that sort of thing.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Artelier posted:

Took Momodora Reverie Under the Moonlight out for a spin and this seems a loooot darker than expected... and also probably filled with secrets. Anything a first timer should know? Just stuff that might be unintuitive to do, or things that lock out major content, that sort of thing.
You get extra items and skills for beating bosses without taking a single hit. Good luck.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I just played an hour or two of Graveyard Keeper, and it's fun but I'm already overwhelmed by unexplained mechanics. Is there anything in particular I should make sure to do? I've heard that the game is full of weird gotchas that can punish you (I heard something about not upgrading the church until another piece of economy was solid?), so I'm a bit nervous. Blue points, in particular, make me nervous, since it looks like there's a very real chance of running out of researchable items while blowing through them to unlock the wrong skills.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Uptime Sinclair posted:

Check my posts for recent advice and I have also had my tips put on BeforeIPlay.com.

1) Yes, at the little quest terminal in your waiting room, the far right tab is your active quests and by selecting one you can abandon it (it will ask to confirm). Or you can do so by talking to the girl in the “real world” too.

2) Most weapons except pistols, assault rifles and sniper rifles require you to lock on to aim.

3) Press R3. Or is it L3? I can’t get to my PS4 at the moment due to a busted ankle but one or the other. There will be an arrow over what you lock onto. The thread in Games is OK but inactive and a lot has changed in the game since it was active.

As I said before if you have any other questions I’m always happen to talk LID. The Reddit for it is somewhat useful as well in terms of material locations etc.

Thanks for the info. Hope the ankle heals quickly, being stuck in a boot is no fun.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

anilEhilated posted:

You get extra items and skills for beating bosses without taking a single hit. Good luck.

Does this include getting damaged by your own poison? I'm slowly working my way through the game as well, and don't want to continue restarting boss fights over and over over it.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

I just played an hour or two of Graveyard Keeper, and it's fun but I'm already overwhelmed by unexplained mechanics. Is there anything in particular I should make sure to do? I've heard that the game is full of weird gotchas that can punish you (I heard something about not upgrading the church until another piece of economy was solid?), so I'm a bit nervous. Blue points, in particular, make me nervous, since it looks like there's a very real chance of running out of researchable items while blowing through them to unlock the wrong skills.

The stuff in the wiki is pretty good, and covers most of your questions. Here are a few other tips.

Make sure you continue to make some money throughout the game. Grinding out cash can take a bit of time, and you will need a decent amount of gold by the endgame (I think a little over 10g).

To help with earning money, most of the people selling stuff will buy specific things from you. The notable early options are the bartender buying bread, and the farmer buying basic vegetables (the ones without stars). When selling, the price slowly gets driven down, and increases slightly each week. So only sell a small amount of anything each week, or you will crash the price and it will take a long time to recover.

Cremating a body gives you a burial certificate. So burn the bodies that you break down for parts, or screw up making better.

Bodies with 0 red skulls get an inherent +2 bonus when buried.

Try to work on all the main quest givers at a roughly equal pace. The quests start relying on being at certain points with other people. With many quests requiring you to wait a week to progress the quest, this can really slow down the endgame if you have been focusing on one quest chain at a time.

Related to the above, don’t ignore the singer. Her quest chain is important.

If you need blue xp in the early/mid game, make a bunch of glass or stone grave decorations. They may only give a couple of xp each, but the materials for them should be easy to get large quantities of.

There is an unlimited supply of stone, iron ore, coal, and marble. You have to deal with obstructions to get to them, so be sure to explore.

In relation to your specified gotcha: When you upgrade the church, the bishop requires you get the second tier of citizenship before you can preach again. To get that, you have to pay like 50s in taxes one time. I think that is about the only thing that will actually prevent you from being able to do something for a time. Everything else is going to be at worst having to grind out some xp to unlock some skills you haven’t done yet.

The better quality sermons require more points in your church to automatically succeed. Also, the sermon bonuses are the only way to reliably craft gold star items in the late game. In addition to the increased donations and faith the better sermons offer.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Omi no Kami posted:

Blue points: you can start generating them slowly when you upgrade your graveyard to finer quality stone decorations. You can also buy a book from the Astrologer once every week for another source of blue. It’s expensive enough you don’t want to rely on it, but cheap enough you can afford to, especially since you can buy just one a week, and a better graveyard means more sermon money.

The first church upgrade (opening it) means no more free corpses, but that’s more a relief than a problem. The Donkey leaves a little gift behind to help you get started and the hippie east of town sells what else you need. As for the second upgrade, the rear end in a top hat doesn’t tell you about the citizenship requirement until it’s too late. It’s not a fail state but it will prevent you from further sermons. I found a few convenient ways to fix my income but if you want to be prepared just check the mailbox.

I recommend opening up three or nine plots in the farm with carrots. When I harvest I trade just enough to the farmer to replace lost seeds, and the remainder go either to the donkey or carrot cutlets, which occasionally get sold to the tavern or just plain eaten, because collecting mushrooms got old. Between basic sermons, burials, and carrot sales, I could afford to buy the various knowledge books, which really sped things up to the point where I had to figure out what the hell to do again.

If you can afford them, the perks are a great help in reducing your busywork and upgrading the craft stations helps a lot with your efficiency, leading to to less hassle. They’re nothing especially important, just it adds up quickly. You’re under no time pressure but it helps a lot.

When the time comes to start repairing things and such, just carry twenty flitch, nails, etc. It’s less of a hassle than remembering everything you need and anything leftover will be useful elsewhere.

Remember there is no real fail state, any pressure you feel is self imposed, even the crops don’t need tending.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

LordSloth posted:

Blue points: you can start generating them slowly when you upgrade your graveyard to finer quality stone decorations. You can also buy a book from the Astrologer once every week for another source of blue. It’s expensive enough you don’t want to rely on it, but cheap enough you can afford to, especially since you can buy just one a week, and a better graveyard means more sermon money.

The first church upgrade (opening it) means no more free corpses, but that’s more a relief than a problem. The Donkey leaves a little gift behind to help you get started and the hippie east of town sells what else you need. As for the second upgrade, the rear end in a top hat doesn’t tell you about the citizenship requirement until it’s too late. It’s not a fail state but it will prevent you from further sermons. I found a few convenient ways to fix my income but if you want to be prepared just check the mailbox.

I recommend opening up three or nine plots in the farm with carrots. When I harvest I trade just enough to the farmer to replace lost seeds, and the remainder go either to the donkey or carrot cutlets, which occasionally get sold to the tavern or just plain eaten, because collecting mushrooms got old. Between basic sermons, burials, and carrot sales, I could afford to buy the various knowledge books, which really sped things up to the point where I had to figure out what the hell to do again.

If you can afford them, the perks are a great help in reducing your busywork and upgrading the craft stations helps a lot with your efficiency, leading to to less hassle. They’re nothing especially important, just it adds up quickly. You’re under no time pressure but it helps a lot.

When the time comes to start repairing things and such, just carry twenty flitch, nails, etc. It’s less of a hassle than remembering everything you need and anything leftover will be useful elsewhere.

Remember there is no real fail state, any pressure you feel is self imposed, even the crops don’t need tending.

This is super-duper helpful, thanks! If you don't mind a few follow-up questions:

Is it possible to make crops produce enough seeds to be self-sustaining? I'm eyeing the Farmer perk in particular, but it's looking like going deep into agriculture is a pretty hefty point sink this early.

Is there any downside to pretty much ignoring corpses? I've been autopsying them for skin and meat, but unless it's a really high-quality body I tend to just dump it in the river afterwards; I don't immediately need money now that I upgraded to rightful citizen, so it seems easier to just trash everything unless it makes my graveyard nicer.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The new pathfinder game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

dreadmojo posted:

The new pathfinder game?

It's completely broken at this time, and you should wait a few weeks at minimum