Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Bogart posted:

MIA: Routine. Remember when it was contemporary with Soma?

Routine predated Alien: Isolation. It's an actual ghost haunting the horror genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

FreudianSlippers posted:

Giallo is usually non-supernatural* whodunit stuff though. Like one of the reasons Argento made Suspiria was to distance himself from giallo by making supernatural.

I would love to see a game that takes its look, feel, and sound design from giallo. Saturated reds and blues, gaudy modernist interior design, groovy soundtrack, and a overly complicated plot that doesn't quite work if you actually stop to think about it.

*Not counting stuff like psychic powers which were generally accepted to be totally legit in the 70s.
Hotline Miami is probably the closest I can think of to a gialli game. Original Clock Tower cribbed a lot from Phenomena but I think horror movie fans might get into a disagreement if you considered Phenomena gialli.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 12, 2018

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Synth music in general is sadly missing from Horror. And if you want some kind of technicolor nightmare that's a Argento movie, I'd like something that better encapsulates the summer camp slasher like The Burning or Camp Sleepaway. I know Friday the 13th: The Game exists, I suck at it and that's fine. But I'm talking about a single player experience where you're the kid in a camp that slow burns itself into survival horror.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Crabtree posted:

Synth music in general is sadly missing from Horror. And if you want some kind of technicolor nightmare that's a Argento movie, I'd like something that better encapsulates the summer camp slasher like The Burning or Camp Sleepaway. I know Friday the 13th: The Game exists, I suck at it and that's fine. But I'm talking about a single player experience where you're the kid in a camp that slow burns itself into survival horror.

Zombies are last decade's horror, for sure, but Dying Light had some seriously good fake John Carpenter music going in it, and it did occasionally dip into decent horror. I had more fun running night missions in Dying Light than I had in any of Outlast or other running away based horror.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

That's because Dying Light wanted their running to actually be a big part of the game, running around, climbing stuff, jumping off and between stuff, it was actually made to feel good and make you wanna parkour.

Outlast gives you no options because they want to subject you to more of their edgy schlock.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Its just a shame that Outlast was a fluke in how well the original and whistle blower's theme was so far from what the creator actually intended to present.

Is there any other game that tries to do Argento/Carpenter/80s Rick Wakeman synth as that was able to convey a kind of music that goes hand in hand with video games.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Crabtree posted:

Is there any other game that tries to do Argento/Carpenter/80s Rick Wakeman synth as that was able to convey a kind of music that goes hand in hand with video games.
Sylvio had a good Carpenter-esque soundtrack.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Crabtree posted:

Its just a shame that Outlast was a fluke in how well the original and whistle blower's theme was so far from what the creator actually intended to present.

Not horror unless you count pixelated warcrimes. But goon made game Brigador has a John Carpenter as gently caress soundtrack.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Yardbomb posted:

Still despite all this, like every other time I ever check in on the couple DbD streamers I've followed who aren't dickweeds, they're pretty frequently like "God I hope Last Year swings in and does well" so there's still people really wanting it to succeed
Any particular reason why? Honest question. I'm not a multiplayer person and Dead By Daylight seems like it does its core gameplay very well, speaking as someone who has never actually played it. If the habitual crowd thinks that it has any glaring weaknesses, I'd be interested in knowing what they are.

Yardbomb posted:

That's because Dying Light wanted their running to actually be a big part of the game, running around, climbing stuff, jumping off and between stuff, it was actually made to feel good and make you wanna parkour.
Dying Light has some seriously good core gameplay, but the plot is so lovely it just makes you want to stop playing... and once you've leveled out what there is to level about your character, there isn't much left to keep you giving a gently caress.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 12, 2018

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

Outlast gives you no options because they want to subject you to more of their edgy schlock.

I'm still mystified that the DLC went for driving. The flatter landscape stripped the usefulness out of all the parkour abilities but the car just wasn't as fun to use. That and the ending was shite.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Cardiovorax posted:

Any particular reason why? Honest question. I'm not a multiplayer person and Dead By Daylight seems like it does its core gameplay very well, speaking as someone who has never actually played it. If the habitual crowd thinks that it has any glaring weaknesses, I'd be interested in knowing what they are.

Dying Light has some seriously good core gameplay, but the plot is so lovely it just makes you want to stop playing... and once you've leveled out what there is to level about your character, there isn't much left to keep you giving a gently caress.

I don't know, I kept playing because it was fun. I liked the plot, it worked for me, though the game was as big as a skyrim.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

The game is heinously unbalanced in favor of the survivor's side is the short of it. A decent chunk of the game's high level (Killer-leaning mostly) personalities are pretty obviously fed up with the game, but that's where they've made their community and that's where they get those views and subs, so they're really kind of trapped there until another game can finally "compete" with DbD. Probably the best killer player in the game (Marth88) straight up dumped the game when Deathgarden came out, made a big deal of it and everything, then had to miserably come right back when Deathgarden sputtered out insanely fast. They've made no bones about what happened either, they own up to having come back to DbD pretty much defeated the way they were, so they stick with the drudgery of playing it until something better hopefully comes.

For a bit of a deeper explanation, I'll quote the posts I made in our still new-ish thread for the game here on SA.

Yardbomb posted:

It's the very opposite, unless you're using "higher" to say "the big number (20-10) ranks" in that weird way.

At lower on the totem pole ranks you can do whatever and just fart around for the most part, that's where the game's actually fun. At high up ranks every survivor starts to have the exact same supermeta loadouts (Self-care, sprint burst/lithe, dead hard, decisive strike, urban evasion, sometimes borrowed time) that BHVR have basically resolved to let run wild forever so they don't displease the higher population side of their game. After you're out of the goof around "People who might actually be trying to have fun with the game" ranks the entire thing is in the survivors hands, if they maximum gen rush you and know how to loop, there's nothing you can really do but play Nurse and even then SWF groups can often kick you around, otherwise the game's over in like 5 minutes. This is another one of those situations where the devs are desperate to make their twitch buddies like them, so they take every out to give survivor options slaps on the wrist while gutting killer options, even 'equal' nerfs like the survivors Brand New Part and killers Memento Mori's, BNP remains incredibly good while mori's got an annoying extra hoop to jump through for use.

If I have one word of wisdom, it's don't bother getting too good at this game, don't subject yourself to the high rank balance or lack thereof.

Yardbomb posted:

It's the same reason as the Depth thought, they're not more "lethal" in this case but survivors are absolutely the stronger side and there's a bunch of ~personalities~ for this game that are great big douchebags, so a lot of people don't want to bother getting bullied by bullshit SWF groups. Which hey that brings me to another thought, outside voice chat hurt this game a lot. The devs explicitly kept it out in the original design, there's still a bunch of launch/early perks that make this really obvious, where they're balanced almost entirely on the survivors not being able to give their whole team the constant play-by-play, really the entire idea of people being on the hook and "Is it safe or is it dangerous to go for the save" as well, guess what happened when they caved to people haranguing them for a full team queue (SWF, Survive With Friends) option.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Thanks for spelling it out. The videos I watched didn't make it look that bad, but on retrospect, the survivors did win disproportionately often. In an asymmetric game like this, it's easy to put it down to player skill, but gameplay balance does matter a lot. Apparently, people have strong feelings about the developer screwing up there.

Skyscraper posted:

I don't know, I kept playing because it was fun. I liked the plot, it worked for me, though the game was as big as a skyrim.
It's a really fun game to actually play, but yeah, how much of a total douche you need to be for the main plot and how much of it is just deferred fetch quests really ruined my enjoyment of it. I never finished the game, as such, although I finished leveling my character.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Dead By Daylight is the Smash Brothers of asymmetrical games, but also only one side gets to pick Bayonetta and the genre lacks a Tekken or Fighterz.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Cardiovorax posted:

It's a really fun game to actually play, but yeah, how much of a total douche you need to be for the main plot and how much of it is just deferred fetch quests really ruined my enjoyment of it. I never finished the game, as such, although I finished leveling my character.

Do you have to be a douche? I thought it was a game about saving a population from a Heart of Darkness-esque dictator? That guy seemed like a dick to everyone? And then you keep the city safe from (GOVERNMENT)'s bombers?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Skyscraper posted:

Do you have to be a douche? I thought it was a game about saving a population from a Heart of Darkness-esque dictator? That guy seemed like a dick to everyone? And then you keep the city safe from (GOVERNMENT)'s bombers?
There is that section where you burn vital anti-zombie vaccine because your government bigwig bosses tell you to in the name of "the Greater Good" that really made me feel super lovely, so yeah, I think you really have to be a douche and don't get to make any choices about it either.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

There is that section where you burn vital anti-zombie vaccine because your government bigwig bosses tell you to in the name of "the Greater Good" that really made me feel super lovely, so yeah, I think you really have to be a douche and don't get to make any choices about it either.

crane is a pretty weird character because his intro implies that he's an intelligence operative and you'd think anyone selected for the job wouldn't think twice about doing 'whatever's necessary' but he complains like hell about that act and he's pretty much in open rebellion against his handlers for the rest of the game.

Honestly the meta plot about the origin of the virus is schlocky beyond belief but the story of crane's interactions with the refuges of the zombie attack isn't half bad. then of course you get the crazy dream level which is a bit....completely lol but i think it's a pretty serviceable plot.

also dying light is not remotely horrific. even against the psycho night zombies you simply have way too many tools of mobility to make the player ever feel truly vulnerable.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

A big flaming stink posted:

crane is a pretty weird character because his intro implies that he's an intelligence operative and you'd think anyone selected for the job wouldn't think twice about doing 'whatever's necessary' but he complains like hell about that act and he's pretty much in open rebellion against his handlers for the rest of the game.
It's hard to write a character who's a total, remorseless psychopath and make them remotely sympathetic or fun to play, so it's really only reasonable that Crane would eventually go "what the gently caress is wrong with you guys?" to some of the things your handlers make you do after all the thank-you lines and gratitude the survivors keep heavy-handedly feeding you.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
asymmetrical competitive gameplay is, afaict, bar none the most hellish structure to design for. Meta balance at the upper end for a game with as much player variance as DbD is basically impossible. The issue is compounded for streamer types because they ride right up to the meta as fast as anyone, and content creators tend to be socially incentivized into antagonism with the developer.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

asymmetrical competitive gameplay is, afaict, bar none the most hellish structure to design for. Meta balance at the upper end for a game with as much player variance as DbD is basically impossible. The issue is compounded for streamer types because they ride right up to the meta as fast as anyone, and content creators tend to be socially incentivized into antagonism with the developer.

would you consider L4D versus symmetrical or asymmetrical?

e: hell, Dying Light's versus mode as well

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 13, 2018

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Asymmetrical, if you ask me. The Infected side has a distinctly different skillset from the Survivor side. It's not as harshly asymmetrical as games like Dead By Daylight, but the sides are basically playing different games with different approaches to success. It's easier to balance out because L4D gameplay hinges on the Infected playing in groups and repeatedly dying over the course of a level and getting to exploit their respawn mechanic much like they do in singleplayer mode. It's a game of attrition, not a game of straightforwardly winning or losing.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
man, I remember when I was optimistic about Evolve

for like, a brief period before it actually released

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

Asymmetrical, if you ask me. The Infected side has a distinctly different skillset from the Survivor side. It's not as harshly asymmetrical as games like Dead By Daylight, but the sides are basically playing different games with different approaches to success. It's easier to balance out because L4D gameplay hinges on the Infected playing in groups and repeatedly dying over the course of a level and getting to exploit their respawn mechanic much like they do in singleplayer mode. It's a game of attrition, not a game of straightforwardly winning or losing.

You also get 4 brains vs 4 brains in L4D, instead of 1 v whatever in stuff like DBD or F13.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

e: hell, Dying Light's versus mode as well

Symmetrical in the same way Attack/Defend game modes are. Unless there's modes I'm forgetting about, you play both sides of a given stretch of a campaign and then are rated based on your survivor performance compared to the other side. Each round itself is asymmetrical but the total package is symmetrical.

I mean that's the easy way to make asymmetrical game modes balanced. I think Splinter Cell did that as well? And any Attack/Defend mode in any shooter does it. For obvious reasons it can't really apply when it's not two teams but 1 v >1. Best you could do is Hide or Die's system, or like any of Halo's Juggernaut modes.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 13, 2018

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Evolve was fun when it went f2p. They really got creative with the new loadouts and made it feel pretty fair and skillbased. If only the bigwigs gave it more than like four months to become profitable :negative:.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Lunatic Sledge posted:

man, I remember when I was optimistic about Evolve

for like, a brief period before it actually released

Evolve was real cool, but it was bogged down in 2K bullshit from birth to death.

Bogart posted:

Evolve was fun when it went f2p. They really got creative with the new loadouts and made it feel pretty fair and skillbased. If only the bigwigs gave it more than like four months to become profitable :negative:.

This too, Evolve Stage 2 was a lot of fun and they had a ton of people playing, then they decided to axe Turtle Rock because the game wasn't magically making money.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

How well does Eternal Darkness emulate? I don't know if I want to bother digging the Wii out for it

Edit: I have a WiiU but I don't know if that thing can be modded to run GameCube titles

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Runs perfectly on WiiU if you're willing to jump through some homebrewing hoops.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Len posted:

How well does Eternal Darkness emulate? I don't know if I want to bother digging the Wii out for it

Edit: I have a WiiU but I don't know if that thing can be modded to run GameCube titles
Dolphin Emulator wiki says it's playable from beginning to end with minor problems. Easier than modding a console for it, that's for certain.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Cardiovorax posted:

Dolphin Emulator wiki says it's playable from beginning to end with minor problems. Easier than modding a console for it, that's for certain.

what else are you going to do with a wiiu

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Bogart posted:

I know right?

And people wonder why I'm wary of the Switch. I dunno, could be I got burned on the last two Nintendo consoles?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Bogart posted:

I'm sure I wouldn't know. The last console I ever owned was the original Nintendo Entertainment System.

Might still have it lying around somewhere, come to think of it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

L4D rules.

Easily the best zombie games ever.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Same. Shame they shat out another one in a year without much in the way of new stuff and then forgot about it for hats'n'whales.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Soft modding wiiu is safe and easy. Best emulation system until switch is hacked.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Len posted:

I know right?

And people wonder why I'm wary of the Switch. I dunno, could be I got burned on the last two Nintendo consoles?

at this point there's enough awesome games on it that it's worth it.

Horror question:
Did anyone figure out what the hell was going on in Ice-Pick Lodge's Knock-Knock?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It was kind of inside his head but it was also inside all of his ancestor’s head and also there was a kid taken away by the government. Unfortunately that’s all I remember.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

al-azad posted:

Soft modding wiiu is safe and easy. Best emulation system until switch is hacked.

isn't every single switch already compromised

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Discendo Vox posted:

DbD's balance is a pipe dream because the game creators released a game with fewer concepts than actual Tag. like, the game we all played on the playground at 5 years old is objectively more complex than DbD's core gameplay. you can only dress up a game so bare bones so many ways before it becomes obvious what you've done, and people start seeing the hopelessness in the exercise. because it eschewed things as simple as stamina or a timer, they have shown themselves entirely unable to model a chase that's satisfying for anyone involved. survivors either have some way to infinitely juke the killer or they don't. if they do, they do not fear the killer and the killer player knows it. if they don't, they have no reason to really resist the killer because it won't do them any good anyway. the basic tug of war between killer and survivors has never been in any other state at any point during the game's life cycle.

F13, by comparison, had two extraordinarily simple concepts put in and it made the entire dynamic make sense. survivors have stamina and can out-sprint the killer, but the killer will absolutely wear them down if given sufficient time. that dynamic overlaying a hard 20 minute limit on the gameplay gave them a plenty robust tug of war that they could then balance. and it generally worked very well, actually, the primary problem F13 had was the fact that it never got over its own bugginess.

DbD instead must attempt to solve all this using their skinner box fueled perk system and it's like trying to insulate a shack using mattresses. you can shift them around to cover you where the wind blows but it's not a solution for a whole slew of reasons. it's an incredibly shallow game that wasn't very well thought out at any point, but a combination of a big streamer splash, good aesthetics, and a very strong skinner box meant that it succeeded anyway. much like many MMOs.

my overall point here is, asymmetrical competition isn't as hard as people have made it in recent years - it's just that, for whatever reason, the dominant player right now is incredibly bad at being a game.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Oct 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

"Skinner box" is probably the best description for the "press a button, get a thingie" gameplay of games like Diablo et al that I've yet seen. Can't imagine why I never put that together in my head before.