Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Nocheez posted:

My wife wants to take the money we'll be getting from selling our rental home and invest it in a restaurant.

We have no experience in restaurants, nor do I have any will to work in a food industry.

I think I may have to :sever:

Tell her you are perfectly willing to entertain her idea as you discuss the possibilities, but she is banned from using the term "invest" in regards to the restaurant, and instead must use the term "burn money" whenever she speaks of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Invest in a horse restaurant. Either a restaurant for horses or serving horse meat

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

George H.W. oval office posted:

Invest in a horse restaurant. Either a restaurant for horses or serving horse meat

why not a horse cannibalism restaurant

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Poor freckles. Thought of tips and died.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Thanatosian posted:

I work in IT, and I don't even know how I would go about getting a second job. Most places won't hire you if you say "I can't work from 8:30am-7:00pm, M-F. I have on-call hours one week in every six where I have to be available for my other job at all times." Where should he have looked, exactly?

In an ideal world where you can just walk in and get any job, a bar or restaurant that needs extra help on the weekends would be good. If you're trying to just make $900, then you could easily do that over a 5 week period working Saturday and Sunday, especially if it's a job that gets tips. Telemarket from home jobs, but I have no clue how much that would pay. It wouldn't be enjoyable to do either of these, but if you just need $900 one time, there's ways to do it.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Nocheez posted:

My wife wants to take the money we'll be getting from selling our rental home and invest it in a restaurant.

We have no experience in restaurants, nor do I have any will to work in a food industry.

I think I may have to :sever:

*chant growing* start a thread start a thread start a thread

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Relatively small potatoes compared to some recent gems, but:

a dumb redditor posted:

As the title says, I bought an 82 Chevy El Camino with 28k miles on it from a BMW dealership for $7,500. I went to dinner with my fiance there in Chicago before leaving from there to drive 3 hours south to our home in Springfield. I was unable to get 15 miles away from the dealership, as the radiator blew and the engine overheated and ruined it. I spent $775 getting that car back to the dealership due to towing fees, paying a mechanic to look at it, etc. The car was dropped back off the next morning. I called the next day (Sunday) and talked with the salesman who had to wait till Monday to talk with the Used car Manager. He said the car was sold as is and its my problem but just for the inconvenience he will tow to to springfield for me, which he did and then dropped it at my mechanic who quoted $4500 to rebuild just the engine. My problem is the car was advertised as working and "runs great" which it did not and now I'm out a car and owe the bank $7500.

The bank cant give me any more money for the repair. The mechanic offered the Goodyear credit card with a 30% apr which Im not even wanting to consider.

I called the Attorney General and filed a complaint and Ive repeatedly tried to get the dealership to make the situation right. My next step is go to corporate.

I'm not sure what else to do and my brain is unable to come up with anymore ideas to try and pay for repairs. Any advice?

- Buys 36 year old used car from a regular dealership for $7500 with financing, obviously has no cash on hand
- Doesn't pull over immediately when radiator explodes, overheats/seizes engine
- Wants to sue BMW corporate over said as-is 36 year old used car that he drove for 30 mins after radiator blew

Deserves every bit of it:

Guinness fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 12, 2018

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
How does she know the other people involved with the restaurant?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

*chant growing* start a thread start a thread start a thread

It really wouldn't be that exciting. She's more of an idea person, ya know?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

How does she know the other people involved with the restaurant?

Oh no, there's no specific restaurant involved. She just thinks it's a "no-brainer" and we would just invest the money and let someone else do all the work. That's pretty much verbatim.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 12, 2018

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Nocheez posted:

Oh no, there's no specific restaurant involved. She just thinks it's a "no-brainer" and we would just invest the money and let someone else do all the work. That's pretty much verbatim.

restaurants... dont work like that :thunk:

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Nocheez posted:

Oh no, there's no specific restaurant involved. She just thinks it's a "no-brainer" and we would just burn the money and let someone else do all the work. That's pretty much verbatim.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Nocheez posted:

a “no-brainer"

The correct choice of words.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nocheez posted:

loooooooooool

Former coworker tried to be a silent partner in a restaurant. After 6 months he had to quit to work full time at the restaurant to "protect his investment."

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Nocheez posted:

Does she know about, like... index funds?

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

Nocheez posted:

I wonder if ol' Dooby is interested in a franchising deal

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Anyone who has the drive, skills, and brains to build a successful restaurant from scratch is not going to do it so someone else can rake in the profits.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I've seen tons of 50/50 investment and work contribution business partnerships (you know, the actually fair way to split things up) go to absolute poo poo. My stepdad got ruined by his brother in such a business partnership, and I had two friends that also went into 'business' together and it ended up being a clusterfuck.

Protip: Developing a Kickstarter nerd product and having one guy be the 'Idea Guy/Burger King Eater Guy/Pressure partner's wife to be his kid's Au Pair Guy' never ends well.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Nocheez posted:

Yiiikes. I'm, uh, sure she's a great person in other ways.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Uber
Work-at-home tech support
Graveyard shift at Walmart

Disclaimer: no one should have to do that. Your job already sounds awful though if you're working 60 hours a week.
Spoken like someone who's never worked retail or service industry.

I'm not working 60-hour weeks; I get a lunch, and I'm just assuming that I'll need an hour to get from my current job to my second job or from my second job to my current job; the physical laws of the universe are a thing.

I don't have a car. Retail and fast food basically require your schedule to be close to infinitely flexible in order to hire you even for part-time work; they will absolutely not give you a regular schedule, let alone schedule around your requests. What work-at-home tech support can you do when you can't work daylight hours during the week? Like, name the company that's hiring for that.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

BMan posted:

Does she know about, like... index funds?

Thankfully, she lets me handle all the investing for our family. We even max out our Roth IRAs every year for the past 5.

She's not seriously into this idea. I think it's more like when she thought it would be a great idea to build a bridge to Hawaii. Boy, was season 4 of Bojack Horseman a hoot when it came out!

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Thanatosian posted:

I work in IT, and I don't even know how I would go about getting a second job. Most places won't hire you if you say "I can't work from 8:30am-7:00pm, M-F. I have on-call hours one week in every six where I have to be available for my other job at all times." Where should he have looked, exactly?

https://seedcashloans.co.nz/charges/

I'm pretty sure this guy is taking out a new loan every 60 days and incurring all the fees, instead of either:

1) Just defaulting and paying the $40-50/week fee as he tries to pay it off
2) Trying to freeze it (bottom)

I'm also suspicious of this:

quote:

He says banks will not give him a credit card or personal loan to transfer the debt to because he still has an unpaid utilities bill of $250. "The default is less than the interest I'm paying on my loan. All I would need is the bank to give me something in order to get out of the loan shark cycle then I can start progressing."

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I guarantee that dude has a bunch of lovely gadgets laying
around worth at least $900

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Nocheez posted:

Thankfully, she lets me handle all the investing for our family. We even max out our Roth IRAs every year for the past 5.

She's not seriously into this idea. I think it's more like when she thought it would be a great idea to build a bridge to Hawaii. Boy, was season 4 of Bojack Horseman a hoot when it came out!

Yeah, my wife also toyed around with the idea of starting a taqueria with her mom and I discouraged her, explaining that there are likely far easier and more entertaining ways to burn up our life savings and ruin her relationship with her mom than start a restaurant

For some people these kinds of dreams are probably nostalgia; they had many immigrant family members that did start up little businesses. But it makes sense for a more recent immigrant who has a limited fluency of English, little money of their own but lots of family connections. Once you've gotten your privilege to take more stable career ventures it just seems unnecessarily risky.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Starting a restaurant is how you spend a half million dollars to give yourself a minimum wage job

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bird in a Blender posted:

In an ideal world where you can just walk in and get any job, a bar or restaurant that needs extra help on the weekends would be good. If you're trying to just make $900, then you could easily do that over a 5 week period working Saturday and Sunday, especially if it's a job that gets tips. Telemarket from home jobs, but I have no clue how much that would pay. It wouldn't be enjoyable to do either of these, but if you just need $900 one time, there's ways to do it.

Weekends/evenings are the sweet spot for restaurants and bars; those shifts go to the most experienced, most senior people who really know their poo poo; that is when they make their loving money. No restaurant or bar (at least, around here) is going to hire some dude who works in IT with no food service experience that they will have to train, give them their best/busiest shift--and only their best/busiest shifts--only to have them very predictably leave in just a handful of weeks. If a bar/restaurant needs "extra help" on the weekends/evenings, that means that they're busy, and can't waste time training somebody on the very basics of food service during those hours.

I would be amazed if there is a big, paying market for part-time, work-from-home telemarketers for weekends/evenings. You are welcome to prove me wrong, but it seems like exactly the sort of thing that would be serviced by lovely fly-by-night companies who would say they were going to pay you, then not.

I'm not saying this guy isn't doing anything wrong (he almost certainly is), but some people in this thread seem to have a really, truly distorted view of how easy it is to just go out and "pick up" a second job.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
One of my cousins tutors Chinese kids through Skype in the middle of the night due to the difference in time zones. It's through some service that pays based on number of classes with various incentives. Seems legit.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Droo posted:

https://old.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9nmj8c/in_the_next_year_i_plan_on_dropping_all_assets/

In the next year I plan on dropping all assets and backpacking the country for a year or so. Any tips on how to best handle my affairs?

I am going to voluntarily become homeless, and I am very worried about how my credit score will be affected!

It's not that crazy. They'll probably take a small hit on credit for not having some accounts open (hopefully letting their CCs stay open even with 0 balances instead of closing them).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

What work-at-home tech support can you do when you can't work daylight hours during the week? Like, name the company that's hiring for that.

Plenty of companies, but only if your non-daylight hours are the same as southeast Asia and you're willing to work for $2/hr..

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Teaching Chinese kids is legit, my coworker does one called VIP kids or something for $20/hr, and it's definitely at weird hours. You can also do all sorts of freelance work if you're competent with MS Office, basic Mac productivity software, etc

You just need to look around and be a little more adaptive with your approach, there's tons of opportunities right now that require zero college or formal certs etc. The entire freaking world is a click a way and more connected than ever. You'll find something if you want to!

If you find an opportunity that sounds great and pays well, but don't have the specific skills, then take a month or three to learn the fundamentals. It's worth it and is much easier than most people think.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Thanatosian posted:

Spoken like someone who's never worked retail or service industry.

Retail and fast food basically require your schedule to be close to infinitely flexible in order to hire you even for part-time work; they will absolutely not give you a regular schedule, let alone schedule around your requests.

This is really YMMV. Lots of stores (especially smaller ones) you're screwed with and they even want you to be on-call, but some larger ones (especially union ones) do give you the flexibility to not only provide dates/times you can work but also will work with you on setting regular schedules. I worked through high school and college at a major grocery chain and would have the same schedule for months that worked around my classes.

Edit for content:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9nfmwv/atm_deposit_dilemma/

quote:

ATM Deposit Dilemma
Would like to know if anybody can offer some suggestions on how I might solve the following:

I recently opened a Charles Schwab brokerage/checking account to use for everyday banking and was issued a debit/ATM card. I had to leave town before the card arrived so asked my mother to activate the card for me and deposit a small amount of cash in the account just to make sure everything was working OK.

Card activation went fine but I mistakenly told her she could use any ATM for the transaction. She used the bank closest to her house (The Fifth-Third Bank in Waxhaw, NC) and deposited the full $800 of cash I had on hand. No receipt was given and the machine spit the card back out.

After a couple days of no deposit showing on my Schwab account I called them and discovered I'd made two mistakes - The ATM must be within their network and they do not accept cash. Completely my fault.

Spoke to the bank manager at Fifth-Third bank and he said that the ATM is owned/operated by a third-party and that I need to lodge a claim with Schwab. I did that but after a couple weeks they told me there's nothing they can do and that I need to take it up with the ATM owner.

Again spoke to the bank manager at Fifth-Third and he is refusing to provide the contact details for the ATM owner.

I'm sure the ATM owner would have record of the deposit and found the missing money during their reconciliation process but I've no way to start the process of claiming the money.

Any ideas on how I might be able to pursue this missing cash or did I just learn a very expensive lesson?

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 13, 2018

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yeah you should never assume that all equal pay/skill jobs have the same lovely conditions you're enduring at any given moment, it keeps you from looking around and is a big enabler for the poo poo practices to begin with. Especially with food and retail, those jobs are everywhere!

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Man an investment account/broker is like the most bizzare place to go to open up checking account imo.

Also night stocking or swing shift warehouse work, like I did in High School or summers off from college? That has much more stable hours than retail/food service.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 13, 2018

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/9np242/bank_closing_all_my_accounts/

I'm hosed posted:

Bank closing all my accounts
So I do bitcoin trading and legitimate stock trading and binary trading. Last week I decided to withdraw a large amount of money ($392,000 AUD) for the first time to purchase a new car. However when the money was deposited into my account I was contacted by the bank to come into the branch to “have a chat”. I went to the branch and they talked to me about how I made that money and what I was intending to do with the money which seems fair. I told them I was purchasing a supercar and nothing else, they didn’t seem to think that seemed legitimate as I am 18. They said for now they were gonna temporarily freeze my accounts to investigate and it could lead to further actions. Are they allowed to do that?

Located in Victoria, Australia

All of his other posts are darkweb and drug related along with one about selling credit card numbers, bring your popcorn

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
In other words it took us three or so posts to come up with viable alternatives that 40k payday loan homie could have at least briefly considered. I also definitely agree that my credit score is not worth 40k, gently caress that noise.

Dude is very very bwm

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jack2142 posted:

Man an investment account/broker is like the most bizzare place to go to open up checking account imo.

Also night stocking or swing shift warehouse work, like I did in High School or summers off from college? That has much more stable hours than retail/food service.
Schwab's checking accounts are legit. No foreign transaction fees.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Thanatosian posted:

Yep. Travelling with that card was fantastic.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

UCS Hellmaker posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/9np242/bank_closing_all_my_accounts/

All of his other posts are darkweb and drug related along with one about selling credit card numbers, bring your popcorn

SFYL (Sorry For Your Lambo)

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

UCS Hellmaker posted:

It’s that dumbass from Better Call Saul but :australia:

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!
Fidelity's is pretty good too especially domestically. They reimburse all atm fees and also offer free checks if that's something you care about. They do have a foreign transaction fee of 1% for purchases tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Thanatosian posted:

Fair enough, still feels odd to me for a general checking account to go with that, but :shrug: I haven't had any real need to move from my account with a credit union, so I haven't looked in to alternatives.