Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Yea the internet was a mistake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Zeeman posted:

I'm disappointed no one in the thread commented on the greatness of Munch Squad Jr.

could you make a sound effect of you skateboarding up?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Just listed to the brothers Olympic events they’re registered for and it just. keeps. going. I love it

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Justin continuing to contribute to important literature

https://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/1050384006951387141

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

George H.W. oval office posted:

Just listed to the brothers Olympic events they’re registered for and it just. keeps. going. I love it

Some of the best bits are the ones where they just keep going and building on to the bit, like that and Tit Liquid.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bard Maddox posted:

could you make a sound effect of you skateboarding up?

wait no don't skateboard away!

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I’ve always been more of a fan of the bits that went from 0 to nuts right out the gate. I feel like Japanese Dale Earnhardt’s ghost falls into that category but I can’t remember any other specific ones off the top of my head.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Gnome de plume posted:

Justin continuing to contribute to important literature

https://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/1050384006951387141
I am backing that immediately.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

dirksteadfast posted:

I’ve always been more of a fan of the bits that went from 0 to nuts right out the gate. I feel like Japanese Dale Earnhardt’s ghost falls into that category but I can’t remember any other specific ones off the top of my head.
The Game Man (about 5:30 to 10:20) comes to mind. It's part of a larger bit about E3, but once Travis comes up with the concept, it hits the ground running.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I really like the hard enunciation they put on Game Man when they start to realize what it sounds like they're saying.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

dirksteadfast posted:

Dr. Strings starts nuts and gets even crazier when he kills that guy's dad

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
The recent episodes have been bangers, it's worth the sacrifice of funny polygon vids

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

God, the bit where they try to debate about what food is in 412 is all time.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

dirksteadfast posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dGAwTviSYc&t=182s

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Oh my God, thank you. That was the bit I was actually trying to remember but couldn’t for the life of me narrow down what they were even originally talking about.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

where everybody flies a plane, wings wings wings

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

The 7th Guest posted:

where everybody flies a plane, wings wings wings

This is one of those bits where I can remember exactly where I was when I listened to it - mostly because I looked like a madman laughing to myself while trying to figure out how to get around a big fence that seemed to have been built overnight between me and the store I was trying to get to.

Jesus, and that was over three years ago.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Maaaaaan, I listened to the first episode for the second time.
The quality is low but they go through like a dozen questions in less than an hour.

These days it's around 4 questions max.

Also Griffin shuts down Travis trying to give real advice and I thought it started happening later.

Justin makes a homophobic/transphobic joke and it made my skin crawl.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

why would you listen to it one time let alone a second

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

weird this thing they told me not to listen to because it's awful and they were worse people turned out to be bad and they were worse people in it! Better give it a second go

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My God, you are really quite the scamp.

You seem to think that I just started listening or something.

The first time I heard the pilot was 7 years ago.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I still hate that the very first question they ever answered was "How do I get more Twitter followers"

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

I’m listening to all the eps (just got past 150 the other day) and I would earnestly recommend that everyone skip the first 30 or so, just start when they came onto Maxfun. They don’t just get nicer and more thoughtful, they get wayyy funnier. It felt like the bros really upped their game when Maxfun picked them up.

I thought they might be exaggerating when they talk about how bad they are in early eps, but nahh they definitely say some pretty bogus stuff, and the jokes are cheaper and less funny.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The early music was way better though

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

I did like it better when Girl Talk was the episode closer

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Just start on Spaghettageddon.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Justin continuing to demonstrate the psychic connection he and I share by singing the praise of Halo's Needler gun on the most recent MBMBAM

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

they should make more monster factory

I don't care if it's for polygon or not, they need to play more video games together

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I think they played every video game with a character customizer that's worth a drat.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I think they played every video game with a character customizer that's worth a drat.

Although true, a lot of their funniest moments came from stuff nothing to do with how the dude looked and just classic McElroy Riffing. Because to be honest if I think of Monster Factory the first thing I think of is "DID NOT GOLF. FAILED TO GOLF" swiftly followed by "HI EVERYBODY I THINK DOGS SHOULD VOTE".

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Doctor Reynolds posted:

For what it's worth, the new WWE game is out and it has a character randomizer which I bet they could find a fun base to start with before making a monster out of it. I figure they're just too busy these days or maybe don't even get games as much since there's no need to review them. At least we'll get a Besties in a few months?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
This'll be the first Besties without the brothers at Polygon. Kinda weird.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There's also Soul Calibur 6 coming out, so THE DANG SOUL STILL BURNS

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Morpheus posted:

This'll be the first Besties without the brothers at Polygon. Kinda weird.

When they left Polygon, they said they still intended to participate in a year end Besties. And Russ still was on the Besties when he took a hiatus from working for Polygon back in the day.

Tom Funk
Feb 19, 2010
How's Polygon doing with Griffin and Justin leaving? Just curious because I've definitely stopped watching/reading their stuff and have to imagine a lot of folks have too.

Not because I'm anti-polygon or anything. Just a McElroy fan.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Tom Funk posted:

How's Polygon doing with Griffin and Justin leaving? Just curious because I've definitely stopped watching/reading their stuff and have to imagine a lot of folks have too.

They seem to have pivoted away from streaming in general in the months past, in favor of analysis/breakdown videos of popular video games.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Tom Funk posted:

They had good content for a while that slowly dried up, then abruptly stopped. Whatever metrics they had for the fun silly stuff apparently said "nah, not anymore." Gill and Gilbert got foisted off of youtube because they lost subscribers every time they did it, and then it got effectively put on permanent hiatus because even the VODs they posted lost them subs. They've switched over to more video essay-ish things instead of the games-adjacent wackiness, which is a pity. I wouldn't be surprised if folks start leaking away from there in the coming year.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I stopped a few months after when I realized I just automatically started watching anything with McElroy in the name and nothing else. I tried a few series but was unimpressed with McElroy humor and inclusivity without the McElroys. It's rare that anything is as good as the original inspiration for it. I do like the History of Fun podcast though. Not sure what they're up to, I thought their break was until October.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
The last silly video they did, to my knowledge, was BDG fitting every piece of Zelda media into the timeline.
https://youtu.be/Q-25c8Rsobw
They seem to be taking a more serious tone otherwise. They're becoming a regular old game site, I guess, because of metrics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Both their podcasts are pretty good for an occasional listen. Tara Long confirmed last week that the humor videos are done and not coming back, which was annoying because every Polygon person has been saying "just wait, folks, the content will be back soon" for months. With the new direction, it makes me wonder if Griffin and Justin would even bother to do a new Monster Factory if they found the time, since it doesn't fit the site anymore.