Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
A Ranger with full Favoured Enemy: Fey progression will do a huge amount of heavy lifting in the back half of the game, and animal companions are buggy but have extremely good progression as you level up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Animal companions are so much tedium to use because they don't get any portrait etc to use, though.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Is the only animal companion that is worth a drat to take still the great sabercat/sabertooth tiger because its base attacks can knock enemies prone?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Crabtree posted:

Is the only animal companion that is worth a drat to take still the great sabercat/sabertooth tiger because its base attacks can knock enemies prone?

i think so can wolves? (at least it says they get trip)

CDW
Aug 26, 2004
That's the Wolf.

Smilodons are awesome because they get a Bite and then 4! Claw attacks at -4 or 5, I forget. At 7, they get Pounce, which is a full attack on a Charge, which is all 5 attacks.

Give either companion Bulls Strength, Cats Grace, Greater Magic Fang, Barkskin, Acid whatever that rangers and druids get, Mage Armor, Shield (from an Alchemist with the targeted infusion or a potion by clicking the up arrow), Haste, Giant Growth, etc.

Animal Companions with buffs are what make them awesome.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
I imagine a maxed out boar with every relevant buff is going to be the only tank you'll ever need, going by how high its base ac is.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
My Sylvan Sorcerer's leopard has been solid throughout so far and was possibly the strongest party member in chapter one.

Mastodon looks like a pretty good tank as well.

At some point I want to make a custom party with a Sylvan Sorcerer, a Druid, a Monster Tactician with the Animal Domain and some other class that gets an Animal Companion and see if it's possible to break the venomous ones. None of them look amazing on their own and I tried the centipede on a Druid merc and it was a lot weaker than the leopard but there might be something there if you just lean in hard and really go for stat drain kills.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Saving the two Aldori sisters in the Hunting Quest from super owlbear is such a pain ugh. Even pre-casting haste before triggering it one gets murdered before you make it. Had to get lucky on initiative and RNG for a will CC to land first.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

lurksion posted:

Saving the two Aldori sisters in the Hunting Quest from super owlbear is such a pain ugh. Even pre-casting haste before triggering it one gets murdered before you make it. Had to get lucky on initiative and RNG for a will CC to land first.

Did you actually get anything out of it? Tried it once on normal monster difficulty, and both got gibbed before I could really engage, then retried on the lowest possible difficulty setting and they still got gibbed before I could do much. Given the end of the event had no penalty for them getting killed, I just sold their magic gear and moved on. Probably could have restarted until I got some disabling spell to stick before the owlbear went, but didn't care that much.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Wizard Styles posted:

My Sylvan Sorcerer's leopard has been solid throughout so far and was possibly the strongest party member in chapter one.

Mastodon looks like a pretty good tank as well.

At some point I want to make a custom party with a Sylvan Sorcerer, a Druid, a Monster Tactician with the Animal Domain and some other class that gets an Animal Companion and see if it's possible to break the venomous ones. None of them look amazing on their own and I tried the centipede on a Druid merc and it was a lot weaker than the leopard but there might be something there if you just lean in hard and really go for stat drain kills.

My Druid character, one of over a dozen characters i have built so far, has a Smilodon. I gave Harim a Mad Dog Barbarian level to pick up a Smilodon. I gave Amari a level of Hunt Master I think and gave her a Mastodon because that felt more appropriate. I don't remember if I have Linzi or Jaethal, if Linzi then it would have been Sylvan Sorcerer, if Jaethal it would have been, uh I don't remember but another class that got an animal companion. Basically once I got to Oleg's and leveled to 2 everyone in my party had an animal companion. Though giving someone Monster Tactician with the Animal Domain would probably be a good way to get an Animal Companion, and a bunch of summons though not sure if the animal companion gets the benefit of the teamwork feats.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Wait, does ancient curse part 2 just resolve itself without having to treck over to the hill again? Or was it because one of my council managed to succeed on a card?

Lord Koth posted:

Did you actually get anything out of it? Tried it once on normal monster difficulty, and both got gibbed before I could really engage, then retried on the lowest possible difficulty setting and they still got gibbed before I could do much. Given the end of the event had no penalty for them getting killed, I just sold their magic gear and moved on. Probably could have restarted until I got some disabling spell to stick before the owlbear went, but didn't care that much.
Nope, just satisfaction of doing it. Unless they show up later. The gold from their loot would've been more useful, yes.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Perfect Potato posted:

I imagine a maxed out boar with every relevant buff is going to be the only tank you'll ever need, going by how high its base ac is.

I guess I don't buff but my boar doesn't seem any harder to kill than anyone else!
It's also loving gigantic.

lurksion posted:

Wait, does ancient curse part 2 just resolve itself without having to treck over to the hill again? Or was it because one of my council managed to succeed on a card?

I definitely went to the hill the second time and had another fight.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Chairchucker posted:

Are Rangers the best martial class? Ekun and Dog both, individually, seem to have a similar damage output to my other martial classes.

Not really, Ekun is just one of the 3 most efficiently built companions and pet companions in general are pretty strong in the game.
Getting Ekun at a time where he can slaughter his favorite enemies helps(kills Hartuga with 2 80 damage criticals with Devourer of Steel). If you'd make a proper Sacred Hunter, he would be an even more ridiculous ranged attacker.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

lurksion posted:

Note: if you only manage to save one, the other will apparently pop back up anyway, or at least she did in my game.

(the dialogue between them afterwards is mildly amusing enough to be worth all the quickloading I did to pull it off).

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Decided to kill myself on a Crag Linnorm before I quit, but accidentally killed him instead. Wasn't sure what to do when he was just sitting there prone not dying, then remembered someone mentioned something about cold iron, and that I'd found a dagger a while back. Linzi is now the proud owner of a top hat.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Chairchucker posted:

Decided to kill myself on a Crag Linnorm before I quit, but accidentally killed him instead. Wasn't sure what to do when he was just sitting there prone not dying, then remembered someone mentioned something about cold iron, and that I'd found a dagger a while back. Linzi is now the proud owner of a top hat.

Gave mine to Reg. He looks quite dapper in it.

James Peach
Dec 30, 2008

Trebuchet King posted:

For an evil playthrough I’m thinking I wanna go blightdruid; are there any cool gimmicky class combinations I can add on to that to be stupidly overpowered in some fashion or another?

There's not really anything more gimmicky for a druid character in this game than Druid 20. Blight Druids don't get animal companions (or familiars, even though they're supposed to in the rules), so just choose the Darkness domain and go to town.

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013
Plant domain might be better since you want to fight in melee wildshaped to utilize his disease aura and it gets you some uses of free enlarge and thorns, early spells are also Entangle and Barkskin which are pretty good. But I dunno what spells Darkness gives so it might be better.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I did not even use a potion. I just ran away from the Hydra climbed up the wall. Killed the Red Cap. Climbed down and ran off.

I killed everything with my mad dog barbarian, because why not?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

So at the pace of posting I'm guessing consensus is forming that this is a pretty good game if 'more Baldur's Gate style game' is what you are looking for?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Ryuujin posted:

My Druid character, one of over a dozen characters i have built so far, has a Smilodon. I gave Harim a Mad Dog Barbarian level to pick up a Smilodon. I gave Amari a level of Hunt Master I think and gave her a Mastodon because that felt more appropriate. I don't remember if I have Linzi or Jaethal, if Linzi then it would have been Sylvan Sorcerer, if Jaethal it would have been, uh I don't remember but another class that got an animal companion. Basically once I got to Oleg's and leveled to 2 everyone in my party had an animal companion. Though giving someone Monster Tactician with the Animal Domain would probably be a good way to get an Animal Companion, and a bunch of summons though not sure if the animal companion gets the benefit of the teamwork feats.
Yeah, loading up on smilodons, leopards, mastodons, boars and other Animal Companions that just have good stats is probably the way to go if you're making an army of pets. The venom gimmick might work to some extent but at least on higher difficulties where enemy attributes and saves are inflated (but hit dice are the same) I'm not sure how often you can reasonably expect to pull off kills via stat drain.

Also, I don't know about the teamwork bonuses either, but both Animal Companions and the Monster Tactician are so good on their own that I'm not really concerned about that.

e:

Alchenar posted:

So at the pace of posting I'm guessing consensus is forming that this is a pretty good game if 'more Baldur's Gate style game' is what you are looking for?
Even ignoring the bugs, everything about the game is pretty rough, but there's a lot to it if you can look past that.
And the exploration, political parts of the plot, general tone and seeing my low level party get poo poo on by bandits and bears all definitely give me strong BG1 vibes.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 13, 2018

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013

Alchenar posted:

More of a "Troika game at release" type of deal. First 20-40 hours are great and magical and then it's game-breaking bugs galore from what I've gathered. Cautiously slowing myself down exploring wilderness instead of advancing the story for that reason and it's good oldschool cRPG fun.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

ugusername posted:

More of a "Troika game at release" type of deal. First 20-40 hours are great and magical and then it's game-breaking bugs galore from what I've gathered. Cautiously slowing myself down exploring wilderness instead of advancing the story for that reason and it's good oldschool cRPG fun.
Goddamn, I really miss Troika..

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.

Alchenar posted:

I would wait until mods come out to fix the game balance. Its alright for the first 2 acts, but after that it starts to just get to just get ridiculous with the bonuses enemies get. For example, enemies with 7 in their WILL stat in normal pathfinder will be buffed to a +15-20 on their saves, or enemies will be be given +20 to their AC and +40 damage bonus, meaning that every fight is a dice-roll if they crit one-shot kill one of your characters from full HP.

Pretty much, the devs decided that instead of designing more interesting encounters, they would just buff monster stats to the point where it breaks the combat system completely. When called out on this, the devs pretty much called all the players scrubs and it's what they intended the game to be, so don't expect any patches to fix it.

Also, the kingdom management isn't bad in itself, but the UI is so poorly designed. To do anything in the kingdom will involve 6-12 loading screens and ~10 mins of staring at loading screens or slowly walking across the map. The loading screens are stupid slow, 30-60 seconds each to load.

I put ~100 hours into this game including research time to optimize my builds, and I just gave up because the tedium of the combat and city management ruined everything.

PS: The devs are also in the rush to patch and keep breaking things they already fixed mentality, which really does not bode-well for the future of the dev team. It really appears like they lack an experienced technical lead and an experienced game-designer.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

twig1919 posted:

I would wait until mods come out to fix the game balance. Its alright for the first 2 acts, but after that it starts to just get to just get ridiculous with the bonuses enemies get. For example, enemies with 7 in their WILL stat in normal pathfinder will be buffed to a +15-20 on their saves, or enemies will be be given +20 to their AC and +40 damage bonus, meaning that every fight is a dice-roll if they crit one-shot kill one of your characters from full HP.

Pretty much, the devs decided that instead of designing more interesting encounters, they would just buff monster stats to the point where it breaks the combat system completely. When called out on this, the devs pretty much called all the players scrubs and it's what they intended the game to be, so don't expect any patches to fix it.

Also, the kingdom management isn't bad in itself, but the UI is so poorly designed. To do anything in the kingdom will involve 6-12 loading screens and ~10 mins of staring at loading screens or slowly walking across the map. The loading screens are stupid slow, 30-60 seconds each to load.

I put ~100 hours into this game including research time to optimize my builds, and I just gave up because the tedium of the combat and city management ruined everything.

PS: The devs are also in the rush to patch and keep breaking things they already fixed mentality, which really does not bode-well for the future of the dev team. It really appears like they lack an experienced technical lead and an experienced game-designer.

I love how events can proc with a two day expiration date. :allears:

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I'm not sure if this has never happened to me or I've just never noticed because I spend so much time adventuring in unclaimed regions. I kinda assume the latter, though.

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Actually, story events and the bald hilltop can also proc while you started one of those 14 day upgrade events, eg. expanding or upgrading a stat. Since its random exactly when these pop will happen, there is no way to actually predict this. It gave me an instant game-over without warning once because it popped a story event and gave me a -10 to stability because I "didn't respond in time"

Dev opinion on this: `GIT GUD`

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Kingdom problems and opportunities always expiring on the first of the following month, even if they spawn on the last day of the current month, is definitely dumb.

Related, is there any way to bring the stability of your kingdom back up other than the 1000bp feast opportunity? Does successfully completing enough other cards do it eventually?

James Peach
Dec 30, 2008

ugusername posted:

Plant domain might be better since you want to fight in melee wildshaped to utilize his disease aura and it gets you some uses of free enlarge and thorns, early spells are also Entangle and Barkskin which are pretty good. But I dunno what spells Darkness gives so it might be better.

That could definitely work too; Enlarge is certainly better than the regular 1st level domain power for Plant. I prefer Touch of Darkness myself; forcing the big enemy to treat your party as having concealment (with no save) is quite fun, especially if the big enemy also has Sneak Attack.

The domain spell lists are much different from standard. Darkness gets Mind Fog now, as well as Enervation a level earlier than the Loss subdomain did; both good spells that druids don't normally get. My main issue with Plant for a druid is that they get most of the spells on Plant's domain list normally already, except for Beast Shape (druids can Wildshape into shambling mounds at level 10; Beast Shape comes at level 11) and the Mind Blank spells (which are cool and good and AREN'T on the druid's regular list, but they're late game spells, and at that point it would probably be easier to let Octavia cast it if it's needed).

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Hm, the patch notes say they fixed a bug about Bokken randomly dying when you enter the map, but he's still doing that.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Trebuchet King posted:

Hm, the patch notes say they fixed a bug about Bokken randomly dying when you enter the map, but he's still doing that.

So far I've completed 3 of those artisian quests and haven't gotten anything for it due to them bugging out.

Edit: BTW if you support Brineheart's creation by siding with Dahven there's a merchant with nice stuff there.

Star Phlatulence
Jan 14, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bleak Gremlin
I think I already know the answer, but...

I just cleared the Bloom/Womb quest. Got the convo with Amiri about meeting her old buddies to continue her companion quest. ~100 days left on my current... journal... quest... curse timer... thing.

Should I just stop there and check back in on this game in 2019? It sounds like that's where the bug intensity ramps up.

I'm already paranoid as poo poo worrying about breaking event sequences all the drat time. Swear to christ I was as gentle as humanly possible with the bullshit tall tale artisan lady's questline and it still broke. i told you the spearhead belonged to some jerkoff nobody, i can't tell you again, plz just put a checkmark on the quest so i can forget about it

... also I'm pretty sure I already bought PoE2 and haven't played it yet. Kingmaker's "slowly shape a kingdom" thing is what drew me in but I guess owning a boat sounds good too.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

So far I've completed 3 of those artisian quests and haven't gotten anything for it due to them bugging out.

Edit: BTW if you support Brineheart's creation by siding with Dahven there's a merchant with nice stuff there.

I'm nowhere near understanding any of that, but I'll keep it in mind.

Re: blight druid, why darkness over death or the other added option (destruction?)

Star Phlatulence
Jan 14, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bleak Gremlin
Also, am I crazy, or didn't the long term stash used to have buttons for item categories the same way your inventory does?

I mean, the buttons didn't work, but they were there... right?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Huh, for some reason my treasury goes from 384 BP to -52 and makes my kingdom riot in two weeks even though I've got an income of 64 BP a week...

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

NeurosisHead posted:

Kingdom problems and opportunities always expiring on the first of the following month, even if they spawn on the last day of the current month, is definitely dumb.

Related, is there any way to bring the stability of your kingdom back up other than the 1000bp feast opportunity? Does successfully completing enough other cards do it eventually?

It doesn't seem to - my kingdom stats were all very high but I was still at Troubled until I spent 1000bp.

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.

NeurosisHead posted:

It's rare, but I've gone up a couple times to balance out the disasters. I usually hover around Worried.

James Peach
Dec 30, 2008

Trebuchet King posted:

Re: blight druid, why darkness over death or the other added option (destruction?)

For me personally, it's because Jaethal and Harrim have those domains covered.

In terms of gameplay, Darkness's domain powers work on everybody, and Touch of Darkness in particular is useful to everyone in the party (plus any of your summons). Death's Bleeding Touch only works on living creatures, and does 1d6 damage per round, while Death's Embrace is practically useless unless you happen to go against a group of evil clerics that all channel at you at the same time (it's mainly there so Jaethal doesn't get damaged when either Harrim or Tristian channel energy). Destructive Smite is a morale bonus, so it doesn't stack with other morale bonuses you might have, and each use is only good for one melee attack (if you happen to be at range, tough luck). And everything in the Destructive Aura benefits from the increased damage and auto-crit confirmations. Including the enemies.

So that just leaves the domain spells. Both Death and Destruction focus mainly on save or die spells, but Death gets Enervation as well, plus Bestow Curse and Cause Fear, which gives you a bit more utility at lower levels.

So, if you prefer save or die spells, choose Death, but if you want more overall utility, pick Darkness. Of course, you can still choose any of the regular Druid domains if you wish; whatever works best for your concept.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Taear posted:

I definitely went to the hill the second time and had another fight.
Cool, gonna reload so I can go murder some more stuff for loot. I'm guessing that one of the kingdom event cards cleared that up - I think I remember one had a DC of 20-something so that was probably it.

Also, is anyone else annoyed that we can't see the rolls on the kingdom events? Or see the original DC when they conclude (only visible when uncompleted).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Huh, for some reason my treasury goes from 384 BP to -52 and makes my kingdom riot in two weeks even though I've got an income of 64 BP a week...

This happened to me last night, I was running a decent surplus and then BOOM! Negative BP and my barony starts imploding.

Does anyone know if the Varnhold Vanishing is one of those "this isn't timed but it's totally timed because here are a bunch of events that will destroy your kingdom" thing, or can I take my time on sitting on this and getting my lands in order?