Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

...and so that hunter became the hunted!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

NASA put a bunch of Apollo mission pictures up on flickr.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/projectapolloarchive/albums

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

obviously fake, in reality there was no gravity on the hollywood set kubrich used

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Is it really worth it for the Jaguar to go after the crocodile? I mean yes, its a big animal with tasty meats, but it's dangerous, hard to get at and protected by a layer of thick scales, which can't be easy to get through.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

BrigadierSensible posted:

Is it really worth it for the Jaguar to go after the crocodile? I mean yes, its a big animal with tasty meats, but it's dangerous, hard to get at and protected by a layer of thick scales, which can't be easy to get through.

You literally just watched a jaguar own the poo poo out of a crocodile.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

You literally just watched a jaguar own the poo poo out of a crocodile.

That I did, and I am not questioning the bad-assery of it.

My question is more that there are a thousand easier things for a hungry Jaguar to eat. So why does it attack the croc?

Although if the croc was giving him poo poo, and the jaguar just had to kick the poo poo out of it to maintain it's rep. Then I completely understand.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

This is through a haze of memory, but in Planet Earth they said something along the lines of the jaguar having the strongest bite strength out of all of the big cats. They routinely hunts crocodiles, they are able to swim and their move is to grab them by the head and just use their absurd jaw strength to just crush the brain pan.

My question is more that there are a thousand easier things for a hungry Jaguar to eat. So why does it attack the croc?

I also think the ability to snack on 500lbs of meat with one hunt vs. having to stalk and kill 100 capyberas for the same meat. Plus capys are super chill and I bet jaguars just want to hang out with them rather than eat them.

AFewBricksShy has a new favorite as of 12:05 on Oct 12, 2018

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

AFewBricksShy posted:

I also think the ability to snack on 500lbs of meat with one hunt vs. having to stalk and kill 100 capyberas for the same meat. Plus capys are super chill and I bet jaguars just want to hang out with them rather than eat them.

if only the settlers had had trained jaguars, they would have been able to carry all the meat back to the wagon

Robin Williams
Aug 11, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Yuli Ban posted:

If you want to be pedantic, we still live in 'dinosaur times' since all birds are dinosaurs.
It's obvious in hindsight. Cassowary feet are terrifying.

These, cassowary, are creepy but also rare to come across.

These are a bit common.

These are very common

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

AFewBricksShy posted:

This is through a haze of memory, but in Planet Earth they said something along the lines of the jaguar having the strongest bite strength out of all of the big cats. They routinely hunts crocodiles, they are able to swim and their move is to grab them by the head and just use their absurd jaw strength to just crush the brain pan.

Yeah Jag specialty is to jam their canines through the skull, instakilling their prey.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

It does not appear to be having a difficult time.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
There is also the possibility the croc ate all the other, easier to hunt prey around. The jaguar is grabbing what's nearby.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Also, cats are bastards.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Android Apocalypse posted:

There is also the possibility the croc ate all the other, easier to hunt prey around. The jaguar is grabbing what's nearby.

Lazy, opportunistic crocs...
[/racism]

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Also, gator tastes good.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Of the reptiles I've eaten alligator is the best just edging out turtle. Snake is also good. I wanna try iguana, but don't know where to get it besides leaving the country.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

If I remember correctly it's because that's a big lumpy male and can't sneak up on any of the easier prey.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Praseodymi posted:

If I remember correctly it's because that's a big lumpy male and can't sneak up on any of the easier prey.

that cat dont look lumpy to me

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
https://i.imgur.com/BaXjbPe.mp4

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Praseodymi posted:

Truly the most :randstare: of all large cats.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Do you have the source? Or the name of the Cathedral?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Was he using a riding mower to run down his son and hit him with the chainsaw like a cavalryman with a saber and fell off and was run over by his mount, or did the son or a passerby grab the mower as a weapon?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Was he using a riding mower to run down his son and hit him with the chainsaw like a cavalryman with a saber and fell off and was run over by his mount, or did the son or a passerby grab the mower as a weapon?

Maybe the son was riding a lawnmower and the old man just jumped in front of him with the chainsaw

shwag
Apr 23, 2008
Tennessee Troy-Built Massacre

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Doctor Strange 2 looking good.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

New tablet background grab!

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A badass from WWII:

quote:

once upon a time there was a Catalan dude named Joan Pujol Garcia. Pujol was a chicken farmer. Pujol hated him some goddamn fascists.

See Spain had recently ended its civil war, with the fascists taking power. So when WWII broke out in Europe, Spain technically remained neutral but in practice was buddy buddy with the Nazis. Joan Pujol Garcia thought this was pretty bullshit

so soon after war breaks out Pujol travels to his local British embassy and goes “hey I wanna spy on the Nazis for you”

“who the gently caress are you?” say the British, and kick him out

but Pujol is not deterred! He still wants to dunk on some fascists, so now he goes to his local German embassy instead. “hey” he says, “I wanna spy on the British for you, I sure do hate them”

“yeah okay” say the Germans “that seems pretty legit”

and just like that Pujol now officially works for the Abwehr, the German intelligence agency. They hand him some spy gear (invisible ink and such) and instruct him to travel to Lisbon, and from there make his way into the UK. So Pujol heads to Lisbon, and a little while later writes to his German handlers telling them he’s made it to England

Pujol had not made it to England. He had, in fact, made it to the Lisbon public library, where he checked out a number of English guide books and set about just wholesale making poo poo up

this is slightly complicated by the fact that, for example, he completely did not understand British currency and all his expense reports were basically gibberish. He also reported things like bribing Scotsmen, because the people of Glasgow would “do anything for a litre of wine” (an actual quote) because, hey, people in Spain like wine so that’s probably the same right?

Here is where it starts to get really crazy, because the Abwehr loves this. “wow this dude is a great spy” they say, because apparently none of them had ever been to England either. In fact, they are so pumped about this new awesome spy that the British start to get worried

you see, by this time the British had cracked German’s supposedly unbreakable Enigma code and were totally dunking on the Nazis by reading basically all of their ~super top secret~ radio transmissions. And, crucially, they’d become so good at breaking and reading traffic that there were literally no German spies in England. The Germans would set up a spy drop (usually dropping dudes in by parachute in the middle of the night), the British would intercept the message and then just scoop the dudes up as soon as they landed in a move that must have been SUPER embarrassing to the spies

so there are no German spies in the UK because they’re all sitting in a prison run by MI5 (although some are being run under supervision as double agents, feeding Germany bullshit). But suddenly MI5 is picking up all this traffic from the Germans talking about their super great spy- a spy the British do not have in their jail

“oh poo poo” says MI5, and starts rereading all the transmissions they have to and from this mysterious super spy.

“hey wait” says MI5, upon actually reading the poo poo the spy was sending. “someone is playing silly buggers, pip pip cheerio”

At this point, Pujol, still in Lisbon, had actually been approaching the British embassy again, repeatedly, but apparently “I am literally an Abwehr agent and would like to offer you my services” wasn’t interesting enough, because he was repeatedly turned away, again. It wasn’t until MI5 started asking around that one of the embassy staff was like “oh yeah we know that guy”

so in 1942 the British finally make contact with Pujol and he officially becomes a spy for MI5. They move him to London and assign him a case officer so he can start making up even better bullshit

and he does. Once actually in London, Pujol reports to the Abwehr that he’d recruited a whole slew of informants- from a bunch of Welsh Aryans to disaffected army officers. He ends up with a network of 20+ sub-spies, all feeding him information from around the UK

none of these people actually exist

Pujol just straight up invented like 20 people, keeping careful track of their fake personalities, names, and activities. With the help of MI5, the information he sends becomes even better- a mix of true but ultimately useless facts and actually important intel timed to arrive in Germany just slightly too late to be of any use. He and his “spy network” become the Abwehr’s most trusted agents

Pujol, now codenamed Agent Garbo (for his acting skills), ends up playing a huge role in the run-up to D-Day, where the Allies mounted a huge intelligence campaign to convince Hitler that the planned site of attack was going to be Calais and not Normandy (this was Operation Fortitude and you should absolutely look it up for more Wacky WWII Adventures). Obviously you know how this ended

crazily enough, the Abwehr never figured out that Pujol was a double agent. After the war he received both the Iron Cross Second Class (which require personal authorization from Hitler), and a Member of the Order of the British Empire (from King George VI)

unable to resist being totally loving ridiculous, Pujol turned down MI5’s post-war offer to continue spying, but this time against the USSR. “no,” he said “just help me fake my own death and then I’m moving to Venezuela”

and that’s exactly what he did. Joan Garcia Pujol died in 1988, at the age of 76

and this is the man in question:

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

ekuNNN posted:

A badass from WWII:

I would watch the poo poo out of a movie about this guy.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

ekuNNN posted:

A badass from WWII:

Haha, everything about his face tells the story of how even he can’t believe what he’s getting away with. “Ain’t I a stinker?”

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Pretty sure that’s a leprechaun

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Stairs posted:

Yeah I too want to see Tom Cruise as the American double agent Jack Garcer, fooling both the Nazi Germans and the, uhh... Soviets somehow!

e: Although https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6543972/

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 18:10 on Oct 14, 2018

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

https://www.newsflare.com/video/246684/weather-nature/tui-pilot-absolutely-nails-sideways-landing-in-40-knot-crosswinds-at-bristol-airport

I can't imagine what that feels like inside the cabin.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Stairs posted:

Yust watch Our Man in Havana.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

This is amazing, but it is also NOT OK

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m surprised it’s only a 40kt crosswind, from the video.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Evergreen Burners

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bert Roberge posted:

Evergreen Burners

So it's a forest fire starter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Solice Kirsk posted:

So it's a forest fire starter?

Wicked fire starter