Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I just finished the first season of Man In The High Tower and I liked it, but I have a question about the very last scene for people who are all caught up about the later seasons.

How timey-wimey does it get? Is it going to be like Lost where people jump through different dimensions and time travel every episode or does it only come up every so often? I've never read the books so I don't know how sci-fi they are, just that they are alternate history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I just finished the first season of Man In The High Tower and I liked it, but I have a question about the very last scene for people who are all caught up about the later seasons.

How timey-wimey does it get? Is it going to be like Lost where people jump through different dimensions and time travel every episode or does it only come up every so often? I've never read the books so I don't know how sci-fi they are, just that they are alternate history

In S2, only one person does it once.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Season 4 of Schitt's Creek is out. I love this show.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

drat, I love Mad Men. Tried it a couple of times before but this time it really sticks with me. All those terrible characters are so skillfully crafted. Well made.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Jupiter's cock, I'm rewatching Spartacus and gods yeah this still owns. Even better second time around as those early “the gently caress am I watching?” episodes are now pure art as I know where it’s going to end up.

Also currently rewatching The Golden Girls as it's been a decade since I watched it (out of order on some sketchy pirate DVDs) and that's still charming and sharp as hell. Reckon this is still one of the top 5 comedies ever made.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Boy, is Patriot good. It's like if the Coen brothers directed a Le Carre adaptation.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Season 4 of Schitt's Creek is out. I love this show.

You just fold the show in.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I'm finally getting around to the second series of The Toys That Made Us. It's only a short pair of seasons, 8 episodes total, but this little documentary is mint. An hour on each of an iconic toy and how they came to be so popular. Mostly watched it as the first episode was the classic Star Wars figures, but even on the toys that I hated as a kid (sorry, I was never into He-Man, and G.I. Joe was American garbage that flopped in the UK) there are some amazing stories. The makers were often just completely making it up as they went along, being in funding meetings that were not going well, promising on the fly that there would be comics included with the He-Man figures so kids would learn about the characters and buy more. Then getting out of the meeting, realising they now had to suddenly make a bunch of comics.

It's fascinating stuff, and if you're a kid of the '80s/'90s (or earlier) this is pretty much essential viewing. I had to be pushed into watching it by a mate, as I find it easy to skip documentaries, but I'm glad he did.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Parkingtigers posted:

I'm finally getting around to the second series of The Toys That Made Us. It's only a short pair of seasons, 8 episodes total, but this little documentary is mint. An hour on each of an iconic toy and how they came to be so popular. Mostly watched it as the first episode was the classic Star Wars figures, but even on the toys that I hated as a kid (sorry, I was never into He-Man, and G.I. Joe was American garbage that flopped in the UK) there are some amazing stories. The makers were often just completely making it up as they went along, being in funding meetings that were not going well, promising on the fly that there would be comics included with the He-Man figures so kids would learn about the characters and buy more. Then getting out of the meeting, realising they now had to suddenly make a bunch of comics.

It's fascinating stuff, and if you're a kid of the '80s/'90s (or earlier) this is pretty much essential viewing. I had to be pushed into watching it by a mate, as I find it easy to skip documentaries, but I'm glad he did.

GI Joe didn't flop, i had all those motherfuckers. The boat was rad. The jeep i made into an uparmoured thing with carboard doors and a Punisher windscreen

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You guys got rid of your guns so GI JOE flopped

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

You guys got rid of your guns so GI JOE flopped

It didn't flop, he just wasn't into it.

M.A.S.K was big for a bit too, the schoolyard swapmeet was well active. I still have some of my Centurions somewhere.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 13, 2018

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Rocksicles posted:

GI Joe didn't flop, i had all those motherfuckers. The boat was rad. The jeep i made into an uparmoured thing with carboard doors and a Punisher windscreen

Ehhhhh I'm kinda biased because the UK had the far superior Action Force figures, with Baron Ironblood and his Red Shadows facing off against 4 "goodies" military units like Z-Force, SAS-Force etc. Star Wars figure scale action figures with no knee and elbow joints. They were great, but short-lived, EVERYONE at my school had them, they filled the void after Star Wars faded. Then the US G.I. Joe figures got merged with Action Force and replaced them. Yeah, one (1) of my mates had all those things, but gently caress learning all their names and dealing with those extra points of articulation.

Yes, I'm still salty about a great yet short-lived toy line being replaced with a larger and very successful US one. I know it's been 30 years, but on the other hand it's only been 30 years.

Still a drat great episode though.

Edit: Look at these beautiful bastards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyd2C_UiB8E

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Oct 13, 2018

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Parkingtigers posted:

Ehhhhh I'm kinda biased because the UK had the far superior Action Force figures, with Baron Ironblood and his Red Shadows facing off against 4 "goodies" military units like Z-Force, SAS-Force etc. Star Wars figure scale action figures with no knee and elbow joints. They were great, but short-lived, EVERYONE at my school had them, they filled the void after Star Wars faded. Then the US G.I. Joe figures got merged with Action Force and replaced them. Yeah, one (1) of my mates had all those things, but gently caress learning all their names and dealing with those extra points of articulation.

Yes, I'm still salty about a great yet short-lived toy line being replaced with a larger and very successful US one. I know it's been 30 years, but on the other hand it's only been 30 years.

Still a drat great episode though.

Oh i remember Action Force too. I was a completionist back in the day, then i'd swap them for something else.

Got battered many times for swapping toys.
I ended up growing out of them all after i got an air rifle and used them for target practice. Star Wars figures too... my secret shame.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Rocksicles posted:

Oh i remember Action Force too. I was a completionist back in the day, then i'd swap them for something else.

I had loads of the comics too, still got scans of the original mini-comics sitting around on a HDD somewhere. Just looked up something embeddable for the others and ooooohh waves of nostalgia from this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm_je4YoraA

Sorry for the derail, but drat if there wasn't 18 months at my school where every breaktime in the playground we were all out with SAS-Force commandos scaling tree trunks with their mini grappling hooks.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I had Action Man which I believe is what Action Force grew into. My dad also had Action Man in his youth and he was always very grumpy because when he was a boy, you bought an Action Man then you bought all the accessories and gadgets and equipment and new uniforms separately, but fast forward to the 90s when I was into them and you had to get a whole new figure whenever there was a new suit.

The weird evolutions and permutations of Dr X were all great, though. I mean, look at this:

He went from being a mad scientist to a Mad Max henchman.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 13, 2018

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
e: misread

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Wheat Loaf posted:

The weird evolutions and permutations of Dr X were all great, though. I mean, look at this:

He went from being a mad scientist to a Mad Max henchman Village Person.

That's more like it.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
At one point I had every single GI Joe item that was available... including special orders and poo poo you could only get via the fan club (I think it was a windsurfer board with no doll action figure)

And just lol if you were a child of the 70s and weren't into the Micronauts. I mean just look at all this lead paint (no idea if that is true) and detachable parts to swallow (definitely true)!!

Aside from the 8 part docuseries there's a long documentary on just the He-Man universe available on Netflix. I haven't checked it out though.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 13, 2018

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Laterite posted:

Boy, is Patriot good. It's like if the Coen brothers directed a Le Carre adaptation.

It's the best show no one watches. I've seen it twice and if they ever do a s2 will probably watch it a 3rd time.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
You might wanna start that rewatch then...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQzPGWkBmTI

isaboo fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 13, 2018

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Sweet!

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Parkingtigers posted:

Can we talk about how wild those interviews with the He-Man guys re: She-Ra.

She-Ra creators: Oh yeah, they made a great brand and marketed it well, those guys did an excellent job. He-Man was a great property.

He-Man creators: THE BARBIE DEPARTMENT WAS JEALOUS OF US, THEY COULDN'T STAND WE WERE DOING BETTER SO THEY DEMASCULATED ALL BOYS IN THE COUNTRY WITH STUPID SHE-RA :kingsley:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Binging Big Mouth

I love this show so much.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

wormil posted:

It's the best show no one watches. I've seen it twice and if they ever do a s2 will probably watch it a 3rd time.
I have fantastic news for you!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I finished watching season three of Fargo yesterday. It was pretty different from the first two but still good stuff. David Thewlis as Varga was the highlight; it might be because I've got a bad head cold at the moment but it was like you could smell him through the screen.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST
Trying to watch The Haunting Of Hill House on Netflix, but very distracted by the weird choice of having Henry Thomas and Timothy Hutton playing the same character at different ages. There's only about a decade between them age-wise, was there really any need to have two actors?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

pahuyuth posted:

Oh hells yea

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'm looking for a new binge after just finishing the Expanse(which is brilliant). From the descriptions I've read of it, my brain is asking me to ask something that might not be relevant but I'll indulge it: If I didn't like Legion, will I like Maniac?

Does that question make any sense or are they incomparable?

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
They share some similarities but are not the same at all. They both deal with mentally and emotionally broken people. However, Legion is a larger than life superhero comic and Maniac is about family and human relationships in an at times very understated way.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Just finished another rewatch of True Detective Season 1. It really is the single greatest season of TV ever produced and if you still haven't seen it, you need to.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Unzip and Attack posted:

Just finished another rewatch of True Detective Season 1. It really is the single greatest season of TV ever produced and if you still haven't seen it, you need to.

Yes, agreed. Don't watch Season 2, though. Just...don't. Or maybe watch it first so that Season 1 can blow the poo poo out of your pants.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

misguided rage posted:

I have fantastic news for you!

I know, it's awesome news. In the meantime I'm watching Mr. Inbetween which is different but has the same vibe.

Maelstache posted:

Trying to watch The Haunting Of Hill House on Netflix, but very distracted by the weird choice of having Henry Thomas and Timothy Hutton playing the same character at different ages. There's only about a decade between them age-wise, was there really any need to have two actors?

Yeah, it's kinda weird, I think he could have played both roles. It would have tied the past to the present a little better and it needs that. We've only watched ep1, what an ending to an episode although the episode title spoils it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

pahuyuth posted:

Yeah, great stuff. But i ain't watching that trailer.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
My wife and I are binging through the original Dark Shadows, since a metric buttload of its episodes are on Amazon Prime.

It reminds me a bit of 70s Doctor Who, in that it's on a nonexistent budget and the props wobble and the storylines are held together with string and duct tape but it just has so much FUN buried in it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My wife and I just binged the first two seasons of The Good Place this week. It got off to a slow start -- in fact, we watched the first episode and half of the second over a year ago, and she was so unenthused at the time, we never continued (although I was intrigued and hoped she'd get around to giving it another chance).

But over the last year especially, we had both been hearing so many good things from friends and critics and random Internet people, all with otherwise good taste, that we gave it another shot. I'm so glad we did, because it is an incredible show. Not just hilarious, but powerful, with real stakes, real heart, and some drat clever storytelling and twists. I didn't realize it was going to be so serialized, but that sucked us in and made us care. After wrapped up Season 2 a few minutes ago, I realized we felt a stronger connection to it than we did for a lot of serious prestige dramas.

Luckily, the first four episodes of Season 3 are on NBC On Demand, so that's on our agenda for tomorrow. Fork yeah!

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

just finished all of the wire, which was amazing

now working on merlin, which is perhaps slightly different in tone and substance

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tried watching Haunted. Man, it sure is stupid.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Modern Family just hit my local Netflix. I'd honestly never seen even a single second of this show. A few episodes in, I'm loving it, and there are 8 seasons here to binge. Does it maintain this quality all the way through?

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

Parkingtigers posted:

Modern Family just hit my local Netflix. I'd honestly never seen even a single second of this show. A few episodes in, I'm loving it, and there are 8 seasons here to binge. Does it maintain this quality all the way through?

No.

It really tails off but the first few seasons are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Solice Kirsk posted:

Tried watching Haunted. Man, it sure is stupid.

Tried to look this up but there are a number of series that are titled Haunted, or a variation thereof, and they all seem fairly stupid. Can you link to imdb or wiki which one you mean?