Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Anyone have a good recipe for eastern North Carolina/Virginia style vinegary pulled pork in the crock pot or oven?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

For spoilage / food poisoning there's a lot of different complex concerns. Thankfully, the odds of running into the more nasty pathogens out there is somewhat low.

*Disclaimer* This absolutely DOES NOT mean food safety practices can be ignored or subverted!

Rice and other dry foods (beans) are going to carry very little in the way of actual infectious organisms as they are stored in an unhospitably dry environment for most things to grow. Typically rice is going to have some fungal and bacterial spores dried up alongside with it. So, think a mixed bag of potential infectious agents, but typically most of the ones present are not likely to be very harmful.

Once you've added water to the rice and it's begun to cool after cooking, you're in an ideal environment for spores to germinate (warm and wet). One of the more common food poisonings that people actually get, and largely goes unreported, is Bacillus food poisoning by a few species that produce emetic (vomiting) type toxins. Generally it's mild, doesn't happen with high frequency, etc so it's largely unreported / underreported.

So, you could go a long time in your life without ever getting sick even though this is left out at an unsafe temp for an unsafe amount of time.

Where does this fail?

When you have something nastier that by random chance gets into the mix. In this case, spores of Clostridium botulinum. For these, the germination conditions are the same, with the exception that you also don't want oxygen present for this organism to grow. Boiling water is going to degas it a bit and if you have any other bacteria that grow in the mix, they can consume more oxygen, driving this process. So, once conditions are met, and these spores are present, C. botulinum can grow and if it grows to enough density (very little required), it will be lethal or at best debilitating.

Some interesting cases of this pop up:

Sauteed onions sitting in oil warm for the afternoon. https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00000265.htm

Nacho cheese sauce from a gas station (failure in canning?): https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2017/05/23/529589579/nacho-cheese-sauce-tainted-with-botulism-kills-california-man

Prison booze (good read on botulism in general too): https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/12/how-not-to-die-of-botulism/281649/

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Qubee posted:

how did our ancestors do it? back when refrigeration wasn't a thing. surely there'd be leftovers when they ate, and they'd eat it the following day with no issues, right? ...

We made less, ate less, fed some to our domesticated animals, and experimented with ways of preserving food. That said, I think some people get a little over zealous with food safety. I've read remarks from people who won't eat pizza that sat out overnight or throw away refrigerated chicken more than a day or two old.

My wife thinks I'm a germophobe because I wash vegetables and won't use the same fork for raw and cooked chicken.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Anyone have a good recipe for eastern North Carolina/Virginia style vinegary pulled pork in the crock pot or oven?

The vinegar sauce is applied when you eat it. There is no one 'right' vinegar sauce but the two most common/simplest are
1) red pepper flakes + vinegar (usually apple cider vinegar)
2) small yellow cayenne peppers + vinegar.
Both are infusions. Source: live in NC. These two sauces will be found in just about every NC BBQ joint, although many places will also have western NC style tomato based sauces. From there it branches out and people add brown sugar, ketchup, garlic, whatever.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

wormil posted:

We made less, ate less, fed some to our domesticated animals, and experimented with ways of preserving food. That said, I think some people get a little over zealous with food safety. I've read remarks from people who won't eat pizza that sat out overnight or throw away refrigerated chicken more than a day or two old.

My wife thinks I'm a germophobe because I wash vegetables

Yeah I'll scoop fuzz off yogurt and home fermented stuff but gently caress leaving veggie sanitation to the supply chain that lead to such hits as Chipotle Made Me Poop All Day and Poop Bacteria On My Salad But At Least It's Organic

quote:

and won't use the same fork for raw and cooked chicken.
:gonk:

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I was grilling some chicken at a friend's house one time and he said "you're not one of those people who has to wash the [raw] chicken plate before you put the cooked chicken back on it, are you?" I mean, this thing was covered in chicken juice/marinade slime.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
One of my pet peeves are people who have big cookouts and use the same tongs for raw and cooked chicken. Using the same plate, no, I'm out of there.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Human Tornada posted:

I was grilling some chicken at a friend's house one time and he said "you're not one of those people who has to wash the [raw] chicken plate before you put the cooked chicken back on it, are you?" I mean, this thing was covered in chicken juice/marinade slime.

:flame:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i'm guilty of using the same tongs but never the same plate :v:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I would never reuse a plate, but tongs are, well...

Imagine you're grilling just one steak (or whatever). You put it on raw with tongs, you flip it a number of times, you take it off with tongs. At what point do you switch tongs?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Anne Whateley posted:

Imagine you're grilling just one steak (or whatever). You put it on raw with tongs, you flip it a number of times, you take it off with tongs. At what point do you switch tongs?

For steak, reusing tongs is fine. For chicken, you switch once both sides of the outside are cooked.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Anne Whateley posted:

At the point that it makes you feel better :) (honestly, I do this when grilling and my rule of thumb is to switch tongs after both sides have been seared)

My story of leaving food out: my mother has left stuff on the countertop overnight for pretty much my whole life. In the last couple years I’ve tried to get her to at least throw stuff in the fridge, especially anything with liquid in it. Well, she’s begun making stock in the instant pot I got her for Christmas last year, and I had to really put my foot down when I found a full pot of the stuff on the countertop when I got there the morning after she made it.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I use the scrambling fork to eat the eggs, but I rinse it and pile the cooked eggs on top.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

... because your house runs out of forks often? :confused:

I leave the end of the tongs over direct heat on the grill. Not possible for all grills if you have no cool nearby surface to lay the handle down, but it works for me.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What's everyone's opinion on licking the non raw tongs to test seasoning

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I eat raw cookie dough.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Lawnie posted:

...my rule of thumb is to switch tongs after both sides have been seared)

This.

I use a fork (or tongs) for putting chicken on the grill or pan, same fork for turning. Then I grab another fork to remove it. I mean gently caress, I have a dishwasher and something like 16 forks + 5 tongs.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
I've been doing chilis for a while. But I'm always unsure about the peppers.
I use a lot of fresh peppers that i chop into small pieces and throw in ti the the garlic and onion to sauté. Is this the right approach with them? The dried peppers I try to slice into bigger chunks and just toss in there since I like when i get a spoonful of them in my mouth, it's real tasty.
Should I do something else with them or is this a good way to cook them in the chili?

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
I leave the business end of the tongs over the heat for a few seconds so whatever thin layer of juice is on them cooks. dip em down near the coals if I need it to be immediate. I only do this once, after the outside side of the meat is cooked. I only have one set of grill tongs. Reusing the plate is absolutely wrong.

von Braun posted:

I've been doing chilis for a while. But I'm always unsure about the peppers.
I use a lot of fresh peppers that i chop into small pieces and throw in ti the the garlic and onion to sauté. Is this the right approach with them? The dried peppers I try to slice into bigger chunks and just toss in there since I like when i get a spoonful of them in my mouth, it's real tasty.
Should I do something else with them or is this a good way to cook them in the chili?

Sounds good to me. You could also (if we're talking about big chilies) char them beforehand under a broiler or over a flame, until the skin is all blistered. Then bag them so they steam while they cool, then peel the skin off. The flesh will have a smokier flavor and obviously the skin won't be on it anymore. Add that, chopped, with your garlic after your onion is sweated.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Okay, thanks. :) I've seen some people who make it all into a paste or whatever and I started thinking I missed something.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

von Braun posted:

Okay, thanks. :) I've seen some people who make it all into a paste or whatever and I started thinking I missed something.

If you like it with big chili chunks then hell yeah make it with big chili chunks. I'm sure everyone here would agree there's no wrong way to make a chili :can:

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

fart store posted:

If you like it with big chili chunks then hell yeah make it with big chili chunks. I'm sure everyone here would agree there's no wrong way to make a chili :can:

Haha, yeah, sure. No chili rules around here ;).

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I mean, I wouldn't go so far. I've seen people put pineapple in chilli.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

triggered

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Chili cop: Get yer beens outta muh chilli.

Pineapple is amazing and should be on every pizza but I'm not sure how it works in chili. I like pineapple in salsa but I'm going to pass on putting it my chili.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

wormil posted:

Chili cop: Get yer beens outta muh chilli.

Pineapple is amazing and should be on every pizza but I'm not sure how it works in chili. I like pineapple in salsa but I'm going to pass on putting it my chili.

The Chili Accords were part of the Whirled Peas agreement. Chili rules only invite dissent and enmity between peoples.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

For those confused about chili rules, I refer you to my 2017 publication.

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

If she's not making this face, you're not doing it right.
Fun Shoe
How do I adapt a cookie recipe to use browned butter, please? I have a lot of it on hand but I rarely actually bake with it.

Obviously you lose a lot of moisture. Do I just use more of the butter? 250g instead of my usual 200g?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Henry Black posted:

How do I adapt a cookie recipe to use browned butter, please? I have a lot of it on hand but I rarely actually bake with it.

Obviously you lose a lot of moisture. Do I just use more of the butter? 250g instead of my usual 200g?

make a shitload of these:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/12/the-food-lab-best-chocolate-chip-cookie-recipe.html

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

They are so good

And this

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/05/hello-dolly-seven-layer-magic-cookie-bars.html

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Henry Black posted:

Butter is about 20% water, so assume you cook out that 20%, add that much water by weight. If you just increase the butter amount you’re replacing water with fat which could change things.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Anyone have any tips for cooking basmati rice without it looking like someone jizzed in it? What's the secret?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Add less jizz

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Entropy238 posted:

Anyone have any tips for cooking basmati rice without it looking like someone jizzed in it? What's the secret?

If it looks like someone jizzed in it you're either using too much water, not rinsing it properly before cooking, or someone is jizzing in it.

Out of these options, I suggest guarding your rice to prevent drive-by jizzings as the solution most likely to help.

Oski
Oct 20, 2010

Everyone has their dream...
I recently found a very reduced price brisket at the supermarket and, since I've never seen one in the UK before, snapped it up. Now I'm not really sure what to do with it - I'm hoping to turn it into ~6 days worth of lunches. Was perhaps thinking of smoking it and making a chili but I'd have to order some dried chilis on amazon as I don't think we have a great supply in the South Downs.

What would you do with this chunk of beef? Recommendations on chili ideas?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I would slow cook it on my Weber with plenty of smoke, because that's exactly what I did recently and it was delicious.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Oski posted:

I recently found a very reduced price brisket at the supermarket and, since I've never seen one in the UK before, snapped it up. Now I'm not really sure what to do with it - I'm hoping to turn it into ~6 days worth of lunches. Was perhaps thinking of smoking it and making a chili but I'd have to order some dried chilis on amazon as I don't think we have a great supply in the South Downs.

If you've got a smoker, then that's really the best way to do it. You can also oven roast it as long as you have a roasting pan you can put some water or beer in so that it gets a wet roast. Put a brown sugar and spice rub on it, foil the top of the roasting pan until it gets to 150f internal temp, then pull the foil off so that it gets a nice caramelized rind on it. I like 265f for oven roasting.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

BrianBoitano posted:

Add less jizz

Waci posted:

If it looks like someone jizzed in it you're either using too much water, not rinsing it properly before cooking, or someone is jizzing in it.

Out of these options, I suggest guarding your rice to prevent drive-by jizzings as the solution most likely to help.

Thank you. I will take this advice to heart.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Oski posted:

I'm not sure where on that long stretch you are, but there are a couple of decent spice/chilli shops in Brighton if you ever find yourself near there. Looks like you can order online from at least one of them too if you need an extra option other than Amazon.

Another Brisket option that looks easy and would work for lunches is brisket, potatoes and onions and I always trust River Cottage for good ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

BrianBoitano posted:

Add less jizz

It’s pretty obvious he’s asking for ways to conceal the jizz. I’d suggest adding a small amount of bicarbonate of soda to increase the pH of the rice, bringing it closer to the pH of semen, preventing the protein precipitation that gives the cloudy appearance.