Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

i write python all day but i cant pip or conda install anything through the firewall and gently caress doing anything shady to get around the firewall

e: :blastu:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

windows 10 has a bug where on a specific system i used, when i used a program to write an image to a 3.5 inch floppy for an old computer

it overwrote the GPT partition tables with the floppy image, and i was very confused when i rebooted to ms dos 6 on my haswell machine

now, this is easily solvable, as the GPT table is backed up to the end of the drive. Windows however has absolutely no utility to fix this, but linux can very easily.

so that's the FIRST windows 10 issue I've had.

the second is that it twice became unable to recognize any USB devices and required a reinstall

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Private Speech posted:

Just put your cygwin/msys bin folder at the top of your path variable, then you can run all the linux utilities right from the plain ol' windows command line. It's v. satisfying

May not be the safest thing ever, but hey why not live a little

never do this in an age where wsl exists

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Shameful.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

SRQ posted:

windows 10 has a bug where on a specific system i used, when i used a program to write an image to a 3.5 inch floppy for an old computer

it overwrote the GPT partition tables with the floppy image, and i was very confused when i rebooted to ms dos 6 on my haswell machine

now, this is easily solvable, as the GPT table is backed up to the end of the drive. Windows however has absolutely no utility to fix this, but linux can very easily.

the second is that it twice became unable to recognize any USB devices and required a reinstall

its also windows. that seems like a pretty big red flag

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

SRQ posted:

lmfao wth

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

:raise:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

push the butan

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Roosevelt posted:

push the butan

pram
Jun 10, 2001
smh at such a brazen flouting of traditions

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

pram posted:

smh at such a brazen flouting of traditions

:salute:

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

judge me not for the color of my style sheet, but for the content of my posts

they're bad

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

:same:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

anyone here know how to switch windows server 2016 from Long-Term Servicing Channel to Semi-Annual Channel? i've just discovered the servers in my home lab are on the latter and i want the latest+greatest but nothing i've read about this channel bs makes sense

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Pile Of Garbage posted:

anyone here know how to switch windows server 2016 from Long-Term Servicing Channel to Semi-Annual Channel? i've just discovered the servers in my home lab are on the latter and i want the latest+greatest but nothing i've read about this channel bs makes sense

don't do this to yourself

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

yeah, don't keep a server in your home

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

dsyp

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i think i worked it out anyway: basically i'm hosed and if i want to get onto the semi-annual channel i have to deploy new 1803 servers. good job microsoft you interminable fucks!!!

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

it's almost like microsoft is poo poo at every level and every year that passes macos gets further ahead, linux gets close to catching up, and nothing improves

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
lol, no. Mac OS has clearly been reduced to a token effort and is falling behind more and more every year.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

in which ways, the ui is so many miles ahead of windows it's laughable.

pushing metal so hard is asinine and stupid but it's still incredibly far ahead for usability

pram
Jun 10, 2001
actually its the worlds most advanced desktop operating system

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pram posted:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

pram posted:

I assume you're referring to Windows 10?

Mac OS looks more like a bad Windows Vista skin.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

windows vista at least had a unified user interface, icons, and didn't have settings vomitted into a handful of seperate spots for no reason

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Lambert posted:

Mac OS looks more like a bad Windows Vista skin.

woah. no need to go all scorched earth.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Mac OS only has one settings program far behind Microsoft’s several and lagging Linux so laughably badly its not even funny

pram
Jun 10, 2001
bitchinfast 3d 2000 chart but its control panels

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SRQ posted:

in which ways, the ui is so many miles ahead of windows it's laughable.

pushing metal so hard is asinine and stupid but it's still incredibly far ahead for usability
huh i thought apple got rid of brushed metal years ago

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

i mean the graphics api you nerd.

it's good but throwing opengl out without supporting vulkan is dumb and makes games even _less_ of a thing than it already is.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

SRQ posted:

i mean the graphics api you nerd.

a pretty interface??? :confused:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

video games are for incels and nazis

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Krankenstyle posted:

video games are for incels and nazis

but you repeat yourself

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

chestnut santabag posted:

but you repeat yourself

virgins should be culled

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

carry on then posted:

virgins should be culled

uh...

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

carry on then posted:

virgins should be culled

:byewhore:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

there's a backface culling / anal sex joke here but I just can't find it

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

barely legal triangles

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
my win 10 desktop lock screen always shows that I have two unread emails

I do not have two unread emails. I have never used the mail app on that computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

:spooky: