Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

I always do, but I also hardly ever use my Pencil, so I probably shouldn't have bought it.

Not empty quoting because this is me.

I swear I thought I'd use it but..... yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2018/10/11/17964848/kanye-west-iphone-passcode-trump-iplane-apple-meeting

:regd09:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Pants Donkey posted:

Think the Mini is effectively dead at this point?

It’s used in a lot of kiosk applications, I suspect it will stick around, it’s just the primary market for them really don’t give a poo poo about specs.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I regret clicking and also wish Kanye wasn’t relevant anymore

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The iPad Mini is still four hundred american earth dollars

edit: the iPad Mini is following the same trajectory of the Mac Mini where it's become irrelevant to Apple's lineup but has filled a very specific niche in certain industries so they will continue to produce it and charge as much as they want for it.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 12, 2018

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Seriously. I was just checking out what was available because, even though I love my iPad Pro, I still use my old mini 2 for reading in bed, given its size and weight it's basically a Kindle for me, but does other things too, which is good. But the battery is starting to go, so I was looking at upgrading/refreshing. I knew Apple hadn't updated the line in a while, but I was like, "Eh, maybe I can get a Mini 4 for cheap, then," but it's seriously more expensive than the goddamn entry-level iPad from this year. Super hard to justify.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

FCKGW posted:

edit: the iPad Mini is following the same trajectory of the Mac Mini where it's become irrelevant to Apple's lineup but has filled a very specific niche in certain industries so they will continue to produce it and charge as much as they want for it.

Basically these these things get bundled into "solutions" with such insane markups that the iPad Mini 4 in customized enclosure/case for $2000 is incredibly cheap compared to what they were using before because of assorted other whatever.

Three Olives thinks about the large digital signature pad sitting on his desk constantly in the way required to digitally sign documents in one application.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

One the one hand it's 128gb so it's of course it's going to be more than the entry level 9.7"
On the other hand the 9.7" 128gb is only $30 more :psyduck:

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Right, the storage thing does explain the price slightly, and I fully understand why if they're only gonna make one model they might as well make it the one that will pretty much satisfy everyone's storage requirements. But still, I wouldn't actually be using any more storage than the entry-level 9.7" offers so to justify a purchase of a Mini 4, for me, it's a bit of a moot point.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I’m really hoping for a USB C connection in the new iPads, but on the other hand for them to sell people a $1000+ phone with lightning ports and a month later introduce a new connector in the iPad... that would be the most Apple thing.

Well, the most Apple thing will be all the $50 adapters but still. I’ll be super annoyed. Traveling with two different cables is always an unnecessary annoyance.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

What is wrong with the lighting cable?

Like I always see people asking to switch to USB C but I don’t know why. The lightning cable works perfectly and it’s a thinner connector.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I mean, USB-C isn’t an entirely new thing to Apple because Macbooks.

Also, we’d likely get some kind lightning to C adaptor in the box. For now, anyways.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Like I always see people asking to switch to USB C but I don’t know why. The lightning cable works perfectly and it’s a thinner connector.
Because that’s the standard for modern charging for literally everything else in the mobile world. poo poo, my Nintendo system even charges off it. It’s why people were relieved Apple went with Qi instead of their own weird proprietary thing for wireless: it means you only have to manage one thing for all your devices.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
USB C is already fragmented as gently caress though and even Nintendo isn't following the specs so I can see how Apple doesn't want to deal with people who tried their iPhone because they didn't unplug and reset a chip in the cable after charging a different device.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

MarcusSA posted:

Well right now if I wanted to go away for a weekend I’d have to take a lightning to usb-a cable, a usb-a to usb micro or whatever for my headphones, a usb-c to usb-c for my Mac, and a charger with both usb-a and usb-c connectors. Wouldn’t it be great if I just needed the usb-c to usb-c cables and a usb-c charger? I think so.

E: yeah right now usb c is fragmented and a mess. Apple’s own usb-c to usb-c cables for the MacBooks support fast charging but data transport is super slow, and other cables transport data at super fast speeds but charge slowly. So it’s two problems really: getting everyone on the same plugs and getting everyone on the same standards. It’ll get there, just not overnight, and the more usb-c poo poo there is the more companies might care about following standards.

E2: I don’t think it’s possible to fry your iPhone by plugging it into the same thing you used to power up your power sucking computer. Afaik usb-c is a “smart” connector where you need chips on both end to negotiate the connections otherwise nothing happens?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Oct 13, 2018

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Boris Galerkin posted:

Well right now if I wanted to go away for a weekend I’d have to take a lightning to usb-a cable, a usb-a to usb micro or whatever for my headphones, a usb-c to usb-c for my Mac, and a charger with both usb-a and usb-c connectors. Wouldn’t it be great if I just needed the usb-c to usb-c cables and a usb-c charger? I think so.

E: yeah right now usb c is fragmented and a mess. Apple’s own usb-c to usb-c cables for the MacBooks support fast charging but data transport is super slow, and other cables transport data at super fast speeds but charge slowly. So it’s two problems really: getting everyone on the same plugs and getting everyone on the same standards. It’ll get there, just not overnight, and the more usb-c poo poo there is the more companies might care about following standards.

E2: I don’t think it’s possible to fry your iPhone by plugging it into the same thing you used to power up your power sucking computer. Afaik usb-c is a “smart” connector where you need chips on both end to negotiate the connections otherwise nothing happens?

If USB-C has the perception of being fragmented it’s at least partly due to Apple’s overloading the port with thunderbolt on *some* of their devices, while removing the other ports which people could’ve used for video output. Cue multiple identical looking cables with different functionality.

MarcusSA posted:

Have you ever seen any peripheral using lightning?
Have you ever seen any non-iOS device using lightning To charge?

People can share peripherals and chargers with their other devices if apple give up on their proprietary connector.

It has no purpose, does nothing special (just converts to USB), and has no reason to exist.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lightning is better than USB-C in every way and if there's any ways it lags, they can simply change it because it's their proprietary cable, rather than dealing with a stupid consortium that thought this was a good idea:

I do agree that they should be shipping USB-C to Lightning cables with devices now, though.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Lightning is good. But yes a USBC charger and USBC to lightning cable should be included at least with the pro going forward.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Endless Mike posted:

Lightning is better than USB-C in every way and if there's any ways it lags, they can simply change it because it's their proprietary cable, rather than dealing with a stupid consortium that thought this was a good idea:

I do agree that they should be shipping USB-C to Lightning cables with devices now, though.

What in the gently caress is that? That’s something I’ve never seen.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Boris Galerkin posted:

Used for a lot of external hard drives

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

I've got one of those for an external hard drives. I think one part is power and the other is data.

EFB. I'll just add some of my external optical drives needed two USB connections for power. Sometimes they work with just one connection, but it depends on how much juice the port is putting out and the devices you're most likely to need it with (laptops) are inconsistent. Maybe that weird connector solves some of that or at least miniaturizes it because needing two USB ports sucks.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Oct 13, 2018

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

101 posted:

Used for a lot of external hard drives

And, to terrible effect, the Galaxy S5 and Note 3.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Micro version of USB3 with the additional high speed lanes. USB-C has hopefully killed it for good.

Interestingly you can plug a regular micro-B cable in half of the socket for this connector too, it will just run at USB 2 speed..

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

And, to terrible effect, the Galaxy S5 and Note 3.

Yeah, the first and only time I have run into one of these was drunkenly trying to charge my completely dead phone at a strangers house, this was his only charger and it was very confusing.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 13, 2018

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Apple moved to lightning because they were ready to ditch the 30-pin but USB-C was still a hot dumpster fire of a standard so they moved on without them.

3 years later USB-C was finally ratified but was still a mess of non-standard cables and chargers. By now there's a whole ecosystem around Lightning the same way there was around the 30-pin so Apple's gonna milk another 10 years out of this one if they can.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

priznat posted:

Micro version of USB3 with the additional high speed lanes. USB-C has hopefully killed it for good.

Interestingly you can plug a regular micro-B cable in half of the socket for this connector too, it will just run at USB 2 speed..

This was literally the reason it was created. They wanted a backward compatible socket, but couldn't make USB-3 work in the micro-USB-2 plug, so they made that monstrosity.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Endless Mike posted:

This was literally the reason it was created. They wanted a backward compatible socket, but couldn't make USB-3 work in the micro-USB-2 plug, so they made that monstrosity.

Yeah, a lot of people don’t know that and think it’s useless if they’ve lost the 3.0 cable, but much like regular usb B 3.0 plugs it is backwards compatible.

A guy at work lost the cable for an external drive and was convinced it was now worthless until I dug in a pile of micro usb cables we had and just used that. :haw:

You know another USB thing that is annoying, devices with a cable that have two USB A plugs on it because a single one won’t provide enough current in a lot of situations.

I still have to gently caress with GPIB cables on occasion though and even the worst USB annoyances are better than that stuff. (Daisy chaining was handy tho)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I wish USB-A (and micro) would die so we can all live in a world of reversible cables.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
At the beginning there were some USB-C cables that didn't reset the handshake properly when switching between devices while one side stayed connected to a charging block.
This lead to some fun times when switching from a 100W device to a 25W one.

There was a Google engineer who maintained a g+ site about various offenders. Even some of the first Anker cables weren't kosher.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Media Bloodbath posted:

At the beginning there were some USB-C cables that didn't reset the handshake properly when switching between devices while one side stayed connected to a charging block.
This lead to some fun times when switching from a 100W device to a 25W one.

There was a Google engineer who maintained a g+ site about various offenders. Even some of the first Anker cables weren't kosher.

Benson Leung.

https://bensonapproved.com/

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

quote:

This site is not in any way related to the person of Benson Leung or Google Inc.
That site just seems like a thinly veiled way of getting referral credits from Belkin.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MrBond posted:

That site just seems like a thinly veiled way of getting referral credits from Belkin.

Well the guy just left a bunch of Amazon reviews and didn’t have a list of “approved” cables or anything

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MrBond posted:

The site is a collection of Amazon links to all the cables Benson Leung tested and passed as good.

Weirdly, they link to the product only and not the review itself (although Benson's review is typically to top review). I know it's a link list of all the cables he passed as meeting the standard, but I still think there's value in reading his reviews.

Here's one that convinced me to by IOGear cable to charge my rMBP at work (85W charger), because I don't like white cables and 6' is a bit much with desktop level power receptacles.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R3I108G87O0H2N

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I think you guys are looking for this:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/1/d/1vnpEXfo2HCGADdd9G2x9dMDWqENiY2kgBJUu29f_TX8/pubhtml

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah stuff should be fine.

One problem I remember in particular is if the adapter lies about what it can actually supply, then attempts to fulfill the request with whatever it can do. Could be fine. Could gently caress up the device and/or overload the adapter and start a fire.

And Nathan K. is another guy that has done a bunch of USB-C testing:
https://plus.google.com/102612254593917101378

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Full Photoshop on the iPad just made me extremely happy

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Yeast posted:

Woah wait, what?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Yeast posted:

that better be included in the CC subscription...

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/15/17969754/adobe-photoshop-apple-ipad-creative-cloud

yep, no messing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Electric Bugaloo posted:

that better be included in the CC subscription...

I’m sure we won’t be the only ones unhappy if they don’t include it with the Lightroom/PS subscription but honestly who knows these days what companies will do. I could see them having an add on sub or a separate sub altogether for a “mobile editing plan” but considering Lightroom mobile isn’t a separate charge and is pretty robust I am hopeful.