Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Gort posted:

You really need to grab that +20% stability minister as China, he helps a ton. The draft dodging crisis only happens below 50% stability, I think.

it should also probably have a condition that prevents it from firing if your laws are set at volunteer only

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

Gort posted:

You really need to grab that +20% stability minister as China, he helps a ton. The draft dodging crisis only happens below 50% stability, I think.

First game as China since the expansion and didn't really keep an eye on it that closely. Managed to fall down to like 32% stability and 35% war support towards the end of the conflict so, yea, people were super mad. But being mad about the draft policy which was "there is no draft" is a dumb mechanic.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Raskolnikov38 posted:

it should also probably have a condition that prevents it from firing if your laws are set at volunteer only

Yeah, you're not wrong. While we're suggesting minor improvements to the game, it feels silly to me that you have to step recruitment laws up one level at a time, but you can go directly from civilian economy through early mobilisation, partial mobilisation, war economy to total mobilisation for the same price as any one of those steps. Mobilising a country's economy's a big deal, you can't go from nought to sixty in a second.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Gort posted:

Yeah, you're not wrong. While we're suggesting minor improvements to the game, it feels silly to me that you have to step recruitment laws up one level at a time, but you can go directly from civilian economy through early mobilisation, partial mobilisation, war economy to total mobilisation for the same price as any one of those steps. Mobilising a country's economy's a big deal, you can't go from nought to sixty in a second.

Also economy changes trigger instantly where all of a sudden going from civ->partial you have a load of extra civ factories, and you build factories way faster while manpower can take months to trickle all the way in from one-step up

It would be neat if economy law changed slowly over time, perhaps at very low tension the bonus would accrue very slowly but at 100% tension the bonus would accrue rapidly

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

xanif posted:

So I am playing China with historical focus. Formed the united front with the various other China's around me and have forced an end to the war with Japan. I took the "Subjugate the Warlords" decision and some fall in line and some don't. I get a conquer objective against the ones that didn't submit but....I'm in a faction with them? And if I kick them out it's a 5 year truce? Am I wrong about that?

Also, thanks draft dodgers. I had to spend 400 political power to get you stop dodging the draft during my volunteer only recruitment policy you loving fucks.

the truce is more like a month, maybe shorter? kick them all out right away

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

yeah i've always thought economic laws not having the same step progression as draft laws was weird but i'm not going to turn down war economy at 150pp 4 months into the game as the USSR

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

yeah i've always thought economic laws not having the same step progression as draft laws was weird but i'm not going to turn down war economy at 150pp 4 months into the game as the USSR

Four months? Someone isn't reading his Stalin Constitution!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

420 Gank Mid posted:

I do not know why it is so hard for you to grasp that not everyone is going to be as lucky as you are. It is a very common problem that I've seen countless times myself and other people playing with me in multiplayer that the garrison order regularly attempts to relocate troops and shuffle them around causing problems. Telling people to ignore it and that its fine is just disingenuous even if that's been your own personal experience in singleplayer.
Right, but I never said that it doesnt shuffle divisions around. You've only vaguely described why its so bad but I have tried to go into detail about why I think its good. You're calling me lucky, so if I'm lucky, I made my own luck: I make sure not to set it up so the fastest way is across water and therefore my divisions never embark and get killed, I make sure to have enough divisions so that my ports are still well defended by entrenched divisions even if a few divisions get shuffled around, I make sure not to hold a front line, and so on. You were calling it the worst thing ever that never works and I was simply trying to point out that it can work, you just have to do it right. Then you tell me I'm unobservant, wrong, and lucky.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Gort posted:

Four months? Someone isn't reading his Stalin Constitution!

i like the civ factories first

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i like the civ factories first

Wonder if you get more in total by taking that focus first or second

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

Davincie posted:

the truce is more like a month, maybe shorter? kick them all out right away

Alright, I'll do that. I thought the truce was much longer.

I did kick one of them just to see if I could invade immediately and then for the next week I was getting spammed with faction join requests which was hilarious. Then communist china decided to start a civil war w/o the support of any external nation so that imploded pretty quickly. Japan has managed to go from the 6 divisions they had left at the end of the war back up to like 60 in preparation for WW2 so I need to get them back in check.

Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere is a pretty good idea, though, I think I'll take it. Just need to adjust which nation is at the helm.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Can you tell what I did here.

lmfao

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013
With all this talk about Garrison causing troops to shuffle around and charge into enemy divisions with abandon -- all of which I've seen -- I'm tempted to try creating an army full of 1 cavalry unit template and set it to garrison victory points, ports and airfields in enemy territory. I think as soon as the normal frontline assaults open up a path for them, they'll beeline through and the ones that don't run into enemy troops might give a cheap capitulation.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Interesting but can you set garrison in enemy territory?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Poil posted:

Interesting but can you set garrison in enemy territory?
Yup, and as previously stated, the divisions with the garrison order will attack into the enemy suicidally to try to get there. I may have to try sloshmonger's idea.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Gort posted:

Wonder if you get more in total by taking that focus first or second

I haven't sat down and dropped linear programming on the USSR tree but for that particular choice I'm pretty sure Stalin Constitution -> War Economy gets you more factories faster, in that you're cutting down your civilian goods output by so much.

Really the bit I'm curious enough about with on the USSR tree to consider actually getting out a spreadsheet and doing the math is if (for basically Stalin alone) Promises of Peace early winds up a pro move. You won't dip war support too low to stay on War Economy cuz Soviets are psyched for a war at the start, and building up your Stability BEFORE anyone jumps you is kinda crucial.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

You can up Soviet stability by taking the Collectivist Propaganda focus second (for 20%) and getting the Popular Figurehead minister (for 15%), I don't think it's worth trading off your war support instead.

You also get like 20% more stability by removing the "Trotskyist Plot?" (lol) modifier, and you only start on something like 45% - the USSR's got a ton of ways to gain stability.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

xanif posted:

So I am playing China with historical focus. Formed the united front with the various other China's around me and have forced an end to the war with Japan. I took the "Subjugate the Warlords" decision and some fall in line and some don't. I get a conquer objective against the ones that didn't submit but....I'm in a faction with them? And if I kick them out it's a 5 year truce? Am I wrong about that?

Also, thanks draft dodgers. I had to spend 400 political power to get you stop dodging the draft during my volunteer only recruitment policy you loving fucks.

I think the One China focus deletes the faction and lets you declare war on everyone.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Gort posted:

You can up Soviet stability by taking the Collectivist Propaganda focus second (for 20%) and getting the Popular Figurehead minister (for 15%), I don't think it's worth trading off your war support instead.

You also get like 20% more stability by removing the "Trotskyist Plot?" (lol) modifier, and you only start on something like 45% - the USSR's got a ton of ways to gain stability.

Right, but both options you mention are decidedly more expensive in terms of PP costs, and The Purge takes a long time. Bleeding a little war support when you've got more than you'll never need....

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

chairface posted:

Right, but both options you mention are decidedly more expensive in terms of PP costs, and The Purge takes a long time. Bleeding a little war support when you've got more than you'll never need....

War support gives you extra attack and defense on your core territory, where the war will be fought.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

HerraS posted:

Can we appreciate the fact that everyone's favourite insane alt-history mod is going to get another update someday featuring pissboy himself?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LRRxMt52jw

Pretty sure Rumply is already in as Canada's Fascist option.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

sloshmonger posted:

With all this talk about Garrison causing troops to shuffle around and charge into enemy divisions with abandon -- all of which I've seen -- I'm tempted to try creating an army full of 1 cavalry unit template and set it to garrison victory points, ports and airfields in enemy territory. I think as soon as the normal frontline assaults open up a path for them, they'll beeline through and the ones that don't run into enemy troops might give a cheap capitulation.

I had a similar idea in an MP game recently. I had about 30 divisions that were 6 width cavalry with recon companies for the speed boost and they had a front line order across my whole front with Germany (I was USSR). Put them on aggressive mode and have them go to town once you start your main attack. At the very least they will tie up the enemy and make it harder to shift troops over to reinforce a province that is losing their current battle. Also their constant attacking will reduce the enemy's ability to regenerate organization. And the final goal was to have the cavalry overrun retreating infantry divisions. Another bonus is that you can duplicate your template and swap recon to MPs, then convert or train more of them to garrison occupied provinces.

In the end my idea didn't get the chance to work, because at this point the Axis had a massive army and an absurd amount of armored divisions and had really competent players, but I still think it's a good plan if you have the infantry equipment and manpower to spare.

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 11, 2018

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yup, and as previously stated, the divisions with the garrison order will attack into the enemy suicidally to try to get there. I may have to try sloshmonger's idea.

I use the garrison order sometimes to mop up Japanese units that have become isolated, especially if it was a big push through the desert and they “control” 90% of bumfuck China. Why click more than you have to?

If you don’t want your garrisons shuffling around as much, do what I started doing and split the China coast into two or three garrison orders. That way the troops will still go to reinforce hotspots but the AI won’t send a unit from Beijing to Hong Kong and back.

The garrison order certainly isn’t a great tool, but I find it useful and have gotten better at using it when I need to.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

StealthArcher posted:

Pretty sure Rumply is already in as Canada's Fascist option.

but this time Canada will have an actual focus tree

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

SHISHKABOB posted:

Can you tell what I did here.

lmfao

You can do this with literally any division template. I just had the game spawn 24 divisions with 20 battalions of panzer IIIs in them.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SHISHKABOB posted:

You can do this with literally any division template. I just had the game spawn 24 divisions with 20 battalions of panzer IIIs in them.
What did you do? Some sort of template naming buggery?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

What did you do? Some sort of template naming buggery?

Yeah. Right before you click the button to start the German civil war, you rename a template "Landsturmregiment" and the ones that spawn will be copies of that one, not the crappy infantry one. Just remember to change the name before the war ends.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yeah. Right before you click the button to start the German civil war, you rename a template "Landsturmregiment" and the ones that spawn will be copies of that one, not the crappy infantry one. Just remember to change the name before the war ends.

Heh I just had the shortest Spanish Civil war so far, with 55 heavy tank divisions rolling around murdering fascists

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

SHISHKABOB posted:

And they spawn in with the necessary equipment of the new divisions not just the guns for the lovely infantry divs right?

That's amazing

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

420 Gank Mid posted:

And they spawn in with the necessary equipment of the new divisions not just the guns for the lovely infantry divs right?

That's amazing

Well, I gotta try this once before it's removed forever.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

420 Gank Mid posted:

That's amazing

It depends. The German units yes. the Spanish troops all spawn at half strength though.

To properly exploit it with Germany, first go down the Army Improvement tree to get the 100% early research reduction for medium tanks, and send all your troops to training to get enough Army XP to design a full 20 (or even 40) width medium tank division

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

another easy trick for civil wars is putting your guys in the sea when it triggers, you’ll keep all of them

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

BabyFur Denny posted:

It depends. The German units yes. the Spanish troops all spawn at half strength though.

To properly exploit it with Germany, first go down the Army Improvement tree to get the 100% early research reduction for medium tanks, and send all your troops to training to get enough Army XP to design a full 20 (or even 40) width medium tank division

It's really easy if you combine it with the other exploit that allows you to bypass the Rhineland focus while you're working on the Oppose Hitler focus. You justify war goals on Poland and some other country like Austria or Lithuania, and then you'll have a shitload of XP from those wars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSpsQ6wgLzs Here's a video that shows how to do it real easy. He does it to Poland and Lithuania in this one, but I watched another video where the person did it to Austria. You can probably kill anybody, except for the Netherlands if you want to form the HRE. Since you need them to refuse to give back Wilhelm II. Though maybe the event still works if they are your puppet?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Davincie posted:

another easy trick for civil wars is putting your guys in the sea when it triggers, you’ll keep all of them

Not the ships though :mad: I want to be able to keep both carriers as Japan, what the gently caress.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

BabyFur Denny posted:

Do you keep the tanks and other equipment when the divisions disband at the end of the civil war?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

420 Gank Mid posted:

Do you keep the tanks and other equipment when the divisions disband at the end of the civil war?

Just change the name of the template to something other than "Landsturmregiment" and they don't disband.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Just change the name of the template to something other than "Landsturmregiment" and they don't disband.

Lmao don’t change this paradox

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.
"Alright, all you Landsturmregiments can go home. What, what's that? No Landsturmregiments here? drat shame, guess you're here for the full 20."

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

SHISHKABOB posted:

It's really easy if you combine it with the other exploit that allows you to bypass the Rhineland focus while you're working on the Oppose Hitler focus. You justify war goals on Poland and some other country like Austria or Lithuania, and then you'll have a shitload of XP from those wars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSpsQ6wgLzs Here's a video that shows how to do it real easy. He does it to Poland and Lithuania in this one, but I watched another video where the person did it to Austria. You can probably kill anybody, except for the Netherlands if you want to form the HRE. Since you need them to refuse to give back Wilhelm II. Though maybe the event still works if they are your puppet?

why does he promote 3 generals to marshals right at the start of this? its not like germany is lacking in marshals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Davincie posted:

why does he promote 3 generals to marshals right at the start of this? its not like germany is lacking in marshals

They've all got the Brilliant Strategist trait which lets you pick Aggressive Assaulter which is good I guess. Also they're his favorites :3 which is honestly how I pick generals most of the time.