Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Dehry posted:

https://twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/1050920336219430914/photo/1

It looks like Sony realized they can block titty games.

:stare: those comments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
People weren’t kidding about AC Odyssey. Game is extremely good and the step forward Origins almost was

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Tei posted:

Yea, we lost something about gaming when all games adopted ridiculous detailed GPS systems.

Next objective is fast travel. Fast travel give to a game has much as it steals. It will be amazing when somebody figure out how to make a game without fast travel where people don't miss having a fast travel option.

Witcher 3 is the first game where I avoided fast travel completely for a long, long time because the open world was both visually interesting and full of random stuff to find. I don't think you can avoid using fast travel if you want to go from Skellige or Kaer Mohren to anywhere else. Still, I think even the best open world game couldn't go totally without it.

I appreciated fast travel a lot as I got closer to 200 hours of play, especially to go to places I'd already manually traveled to several times already. Witcher 3 has a great system where the player can discover fast travel markers all on their own, or they can purchase travel guides that unlock fast travel markers in areas where they haven't been yet. I would prefer developers make all these options totally modular rather than remove them entirely.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 13, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Now that I'm done with Spider-man, I realize I got a bit lost with any new releases we got or are going to get. I'm not playing Odyssey because I just finished Origins and need a Ubisoft break, I want to wait at least a couple of months until the RDR2 hype cools down and I literally just bought Rise of the Tomb Raider so Shadow is going to have to wait a while. Also, I'm playing Berseria on the PC so DQX will have sit on the bench too.

What else of relevance came out in the last few weeks or is coming still this year?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Samuringa posted:

Now that I'm done with Spider-man, I realize I got a bit lost with any new releases we got or are going to get. I'm not playing Odyssey because I just finished Origins and need a Ubisoft break, I want to wait at least a couple of months until the RDR2 hype cools down and I literally just bought Rise of the Tomb Raider so Shadow is going to have to wait a while. Also, I'm playing Berseria on the PC so DQX will have sit on the bench too.

What else of relevance came out in the last few weeks or is coming still this year?

Cod blops 4 just came out and fallout 76 still has to drop.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Escobarbarian posted:

People weren’t kidding about AC Odyssey. Game is extremely good and the step forward Origins almost was

Yeah, its weird to shill for AC in 2018. But holy poo poo it's so good.

Then again. People itt ":swoon: COD" which just does not compute for me. So I can understand people not believing or glossing over AC posts.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Mr Hootington posted:

Cod blops 4 just came out and fallout 76 still has to drop.

Now post the good ones.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Samuringa posted:

Now post the good ones.

The Missing, Swery's new game, should be out in all regions now and it's very good. Takes about 5-6 hours to beat, in case you measure the value of entertainment by how many hours it takes before the credits roll.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Samuringa posted:

I've just finished spider-man, my next one on deck is Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise, if OTT post apocalyptice yakuza game appeals to you at all. Spider-man was my break game between kiwami 2 and Lost Paradise.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Escobarbarian posted:

For whatever reason the selectable protagonist with RPG dialogue options really pushed AC over the edge into a game I'd really like to play. I love the Ancient Greek setting and the sheer volume of insanely picturesque vistas you can visit, with photo mode! Odyssey is a game that attempts to do a ton of different things, and while it doesn't always hit those marks 100% there's so much to sustain your interest that I always want to keep going. I've been having a great time!

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Eurogamer have mentioned that that “Intimacy Mode” game has been delayed and guess what crops up in the comments?

“Uhh actually it’s ephebephilia”

C’eat magnifique!

quidditch it and quit it fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 13, 2018

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I didn't even know a new Senran Kagura game beyond that boring looking squirt gun game, and I watch Japanese game news pretty closely.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Samuringa posted:

Now post the good ones.

Taste is subjective. :shrug:

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

I didn't even know a new Senran Kagura game beyond that boring looking squirt gun game, and I watch Japanese game news pretty closely.

The “actually they’re not schoolchildren that you can touch up, they’re ancient warriors duh” defence has cropped up. It’s funny seeing stereotypical cliches from here being used elsewhere.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Samuringa posted:

Dragon Fist of the North Star Kiwami came out so you could grab that if you want. I don't know if it's your kind of game or not but Dynasty Warriors Orochi 4 is coming out on the 16th.

And it's good that you're putting DQ11 off. It's good but the intro takes its time and it's not till like 5-8 hours that it finally takes the shackles off of you and lets you go on.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I've been playing the new Orochi for a while now and though it adds some new good stuff it has some deficiencies compared to its predecessors:

- With so many characters, the amount of stock xp you get has no chance of ever keeping everyone up to a good level. In my game right now every new stage I start recommends level 30 or above but the average level of my characters is like 10 even after using all the stock xp I can get. There's a new system of sending unused characters off on a training journey that occupies them for 3 battles and gives them some levels, but even that is just a drop in the bucket. It seems almost like the game was designed around just using the same three characters for the entire story mode and ignoring all 167 others, but that would be dumb as hell.

- The menu system is even more unwieldy than before, with the most basic equipping and upgrading tasks you need to do before and after every mission taking like five different menus.

- The time travel metaphor is gone, replaced by a linear selection of stages. I really liked the time travel metaphor.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 13, 2018

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I beat the main story in DQXI yesterday at 60 hours but it looks like I have a ton left in the postgame... such an amazing game

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SiKboy posted:

I've just finished spider-man, my next one on deck is Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise, if OTT post apocalyptice yakuza game appeals to you at all. Spider-man was my break game between kiwami 2 and Lost Paradise.

Im playing it now and i would steer clear and just watch the show on crunchy roll if i had to do it again. Its the worst yakuza game with a complete butchering of the fotns story.

Ymmv but im disappointed.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Is Space Hulk:Deathwing any good? I loved EYE Divine Cybermancy from that dev but I worry that being beholden to a license means it won’t be as loving weird and out there.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Instant Grat posted:

The Missing, Swery's new game, should be out in all regions now and it's very good. Takes about 5-6 hours to beat, in case you measure the value of entertainment by how many hours it takes before the credits roll.

How playable is it? I like the concept but could never get very into Deadly Premonition. And is finding the game on the store part of the challenge? I had to go to PSPrices and follow the link from there.

SiKboy posted:

RareAcumen posted:

Dragon Fist of the North Star Kiwami came out so you could grab that if you want. I don't know if it's your kind of game or not but Dynasty Warriors Orochi 4 is coming out on the 16th.

And it's good that you're putting DQ11 off. It's good but the intro takes its time and it's not till like 5-8 hours that it finally takes the shackles off of you and lets you go on.

Oh, I completely forgot about Yakuza of the North Star. I kinda forgot to do the Majima Story in Kiwami 2 so I might as well finish that one before I think of buying this.

I played the first Orochi on the Ps2 and it was okay but I have no idea how many changes have been made since then - a ton, I assume.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've been playing the new Orochi for a while now and though it adds some new good stuff it has some deficiencies compared to its predecessors:

- With so many characters, the amount of stock xp you get has no chance of ever keeping everyone up to a good level. In my game right now every new stage I start recommends level 30 or above but the average level of my characters is like 10 even after using all the stock xp I can get. There's a new system of sending unused characters off on a training journey that occupies them for 3 battles and gives them some levels, but even that is just a drop in the bucket. It seems almost like the game was designed around just using the same three characters for the entire story mode and ignoring all 167 others, but that would be dumb as hell.

- The menu system is even more unwieldy than before, with the most basic equipping and upgrading tasks you need to do before and after every mission taking like five different menus.

- The time travel metaphor is gone, replaced by a linear selection of stages. I really liked the time travel metaphor.

That does not sound good.

Is there anything with some fast-paced action coming out soon? I know of Left Alive but I have on idea if that is going to be a surprise gem or a cruddy reboot.

Mr Hootington posted:

Taste is subjective. :shrug:

Tis alright, mate, I enjoy some less reputable stuff that would get me shunned of this thread.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is Space Hulk:Deathwing any good? I loved EYE Divine Cybermancy from that dev but I worry that being beholden to a license means it won’t be as loving weird and out there.

NO.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Oh wow the new Tomb Raider is on sale here already.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I'm enjoying the hell out of the bulk of FOTNS, weird use of the series' story beats and all.

What I'm not enjoying is trying to do anything with the buggy customisations, because the really good stuff is gated off behind ??? and everything I could use in the meantime needs massive amounts of randomly farmed/bartered for mats from wildly separate and hard to track sources.

I'm in chapter 9 now and there are still huge chunks of wasteland gated off by I presume the comparably small amount of story progression left to do.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Samuringa posted:

How playable is [The Missing]? I like the concept but could never get very into Deadly Premonition.

It plays just fine. No control issues worth mentioning. In tired and reductive "X meets Y"-terms, it's Limbo/Inside meets NeverDead.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Seeing RDR2 on the horizon and knowing I’ll be playing it at the midnight release is making Odyssey a little stressful and overwhelming. Plus I want to grab the new blops and soul calibur this month. So many awesome games. It’s the best problem to have.

This is exactly why I didn't start a new game after Spiderman, because I know Red Dead is on the horizon and is going to take up ALL of my gaming time.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I waded in because I love swimming in sewage but lol @ this:

https://twitter.com/toejamandearl/status/1050920459485605888

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

i bought the mega man but then i rememered I have to go to a wedding in an hour, sigh. I just can't win.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

beep by grandpa posted:

i bought the mega man but then i rememered I have to go to a wedding in an hour, sigh. I just can't win.

https://twitter.com/BotEquippedWith/status/1051148081046188033

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

This is exactly why I didn't start a new game after Spiderman, because I know Red Dead is on the horizon and is going to take up ALL of my gaming time.

I thought I would have the time but

holy poo poo

Odyssey is SO goddamn big

e: also I had my first sex bit and it was amazing

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Real hurthling! posted:

Im playing it now and i would steer clear and just watch the show on crunchy roll if i had to do it again. Its the worst yakuza game with a complete butchering of the fotns story.

Ymmv but im disappointed.

Honestly I saw the movie on VHS in the 90's, and barely remember it beyond the broad strokes of the setting, so butchering the story isnt something which will bother me personally.

Samuringa posted:

Oh, I completely forgot about Yakuza of the North Star. I kinda forgot to do the Majima Story in Kiwami 2 so I might as well finish that one before I think of buying this.

Majima story in kiwami 2 is pretty good, but its really only a few hours long, you can knock it off in an evening. I kind of wish I'd done it as I unlocked the chapters as interludes instead of saving it til I'd finished the main game. Not that they tie in together (its set between kiwami and kiwami 2) so much as in Majimas story you can donate money to get gifts for kiryu in the main game. Which I did, but I've already finished the main game so I havent even seen the gifts.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

e: also I had my first sex bit and it was amazing

We don't need to know about your personal life!!!

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
It's like Dark Souls 1, the game has an incredible world design until you get to the areas where they basically ran out of time/funding. Idk the exact history of the game, but I know Lost Izalith is unfinished because of this, and it looks like it connects to Tomb of the Giants and Blighttown, which would be super cool and make that area way more interesting.. because visually, it does look like their plans had potential, but now it looks like a bad mod.. Like the area with the Taurus Demon-esque enemies, that literally are just like copy pasta'd 12 times in a diamond shape would be cool.. if they just threw a couple of those in there, maybe one or two of those worm things, a Capra Demon or two.. And that's simple, so I'm guessing it was pretty bad, although I haven't really seen the state of the original Izalith/Demon Ruins.

I'm so glad Sekiro, according to Miyazaki-San himself, is going to have a Dark Souls 1 type level design. This is loving amazing, combined with the jump/hookshot, it should be incredible, I'm assuming that as per, it won't have a map. And given how Miyazaki has only really gotten better and better when making new IPs, and the amount of time and resources they've had, I'm really looking forward to seeing Sekiro's world.

Edit: also LOL I saw that Toe Jam and Earl tweet in reply to that.. like, apparently the devs are super conservative?? There's a gif with a joke pun about a plane they're fixing or idk and the "left-wing" being weak.. And like, lol at the comments, one of them blames us SJW's for censoring this game so we can get "OUR" game on their platform loool. loving animem ft young girls w sexually predatory game mode dweebs, smh.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 13, 2018

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Are those Netflix codes gone or something, I got one and when I tried to redeem it the email they sent me doesn't work

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
I Platinum Spider-Man in 5 days but I had a stroke of good luck as all the appointments I had during the week were canceled and yesterday was a holiday and I know you people have stable jobs and families.

But the game is so loving good.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

I am honestly shocked that anyone even used that mode in the first place. I love me my titty ninja beatem up games but that intimacy mode always seemed like the biggest waste of resources ever.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Those people don't seem to know the difference between a company saying "no, this is too embarrassing to be associated with our name/platform" and the government banning something. Get back to me when police squads are knocking down doors and taking your anime titty games.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Ryoga posted:

I am honestly shocked that anyone even used that mode in the first place. I love me my titty ninja beatem up games but that intimacy mode always seemed like the biggest waste of resources ever.

That mode is what is gonna sell 100,000 copies on Steam

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

They just released a digital only Switch game made completely of the intimacy mode with some motion controlled segments. The next Playstation game is a remake of Senran Kagura Burst (the 3DS original) using the same engine as the other PS4 games. An anime with nudity came out yesterday as well, which probably contributed to the timing of the announcement.

Japan has a pinball game for Switch on the way and they've really only acknowledged Senran Kagura 7 is in development and teased a new character model for Asuka.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dehry posted:

An anime with nudity came out yesterday as well, which probably contributed to the timing of the announcement.

Something I have wondered as someone who doesn't pay attention to anime games. For something that has so many titles that are trying to bank on sex appeal, why don't they ever go whole hog with it? to the point where it's news if they do. Is it a Japanese legal thing or something? Like, is there some line they aren't supposed to cross?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Those people don't seem to know the difference between a company saying "no, this is too embarrassing to be associated with our name/platform" and the government banning something. Get back to me when police squads are knocking down doors and taking your anime titty games.

Also there is an entire internet full of anime porn, and they're posting on twitter so I know they have access to it!