Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Yuns posted:

Lately as a black belt, if I roll with a lower belt, I'll let them initiate and set the speed and intensity. As long as a white belt is doing things correctly, I'll give the white belt the move/sweep/sub. With brown and black belts, I'll roll normally. I almost never bust out my full speed A game except for competition classes. As a result a lot of my teammates think my A game is a bottom half guard game but I think of it as a scrambly top game.

what do you like out of bottom half? my go to is the lachlan giles instructed kimura which is just devastatingly effective even in my stupid hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I used to alternate between sweeps and back takes and elevation into leg entanglements. But now I'll go directly into trap triangle position.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Yuns posted:

I used to alternate between sweeps and back takes and elevation into leg entanglements. But now I'll go directly into trap triangle position.

sorry, trap triangle?

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Is that the overhook with opposite lapel grip? That was one of the first sweeps I learned in judo and although mine's changed a bit it's still one of my most reliable techniques.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I've recently mastered a pretty cool technique from the bottom called "pawing uselessly while gasping for air"

not sure if it has a Portuguese translation

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I’ve been doing butterfly more. I scum rear end a tit though and end up in bottom sidecontrol 7 out of 10 times

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

spb posted:

I’ve been doing butterfly more. I scum rear end a tit though and end up in bottom sidecontrol 7 out of 10 times

that's some awesome phone correct, but it's a really good thing to practice as people who are good at it have an amazing tool for sweeps / control from the bottom.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Last call for participants. A few of us are getting together tomorrow around 6 pm in Manhattan to grab a meal and nerd out about grappling if anyone else is interested.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

CommonShore posted:

I guarantee they do. I had a new big strong guy start swearing at me as if I were using sorcery because of how I kept getting my legs back between us and creating space. Meanwhile, from my perspective I was like "frame shrimp shrimp frame god it's hard to keep this guy off of me he's only a white belt I suck so bad shrimp frame."

Lol good point. I'm thinking, "I should have tapped this guy 3 minutes ago" and probably they do not feel the same way.

PS: I've been watching Lucas lietes videos all week and hit an octopus guard back take as a counter to a reverse half pass vs another brown. It's been a real trouble spot for me, I actually fell off his back I was so shocked it worked.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Marching Powder posted:

that's some awesome phone correct, but it's a really good thing to practice as people who are good at it have an amazing tool for sweeps / control from the bottom.

Yeah I have a lot of fun with it plus a lot of the white belts don’t know what to do so I’m usually able to sweep them

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

spb posted:

Yeah I have a lot of fun with it plus a lot of the white belts don’t know what to do so I’m usually able to sweep them

yeah i use it all the time like you despite being terrible but it's just a wonderful point of leverage for an opponent at around my level of experience. i saw someone who is actually good rock back on their back dragging their opponent with him and then just lifting the legs up and flipping the dude like a pancake so he lands in your back control. hit that on this poor 18 year old kid who weighed gently caress all and it was every bit as satisfying as the demo.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Yuns posted:

Last call for participants. A few of us are getting together tomorrow around 6 pm in Manhattan to grab a meal and nerd out about grappling if anyone else is interested.

I PMed Yuns but unfortunately I am going to have to miss this - hope to catch up with you guys next time around.

Marching Powder posted:

I saw someone who is actually good rock back on their back dragging their opponent with him and then just lifting the legs up and flipping the dude like a pancake so he lands in your back control. hit that on this poor 18 year old kid who weighed gently caress all and it was every bit as satisfying as the demo.

I love this backtake. One of our instructors showed it to use in my first month or so and I am still using it now. The key is to drag one of their arms (say their left) across the body while you elevate, and kick out with your other leg (your right in this case) while pulling out your other elevator (your left). If guys get lazy with the handfighting in butterfly and I can get that cross grip I'm going for it every time - it works well with big guys too if you get the elevation which is extra satisfying.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I'm too dumb for this poo poo

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

spb posted:

I'm too dumb for this poo poo

No you're not. It's complicated to type out but really simple in practice.

I found this video of Marcelo teaching it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ytkanc3l4k

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Yuns posted:

Please post some pics and let us know how it went.

We need to do this but on the West Coast. I know SoCal has a ton of schools, I'd be down if anyone else is interested.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

We need to do this but on the West Coast. I know SoCal has a ton of schools, I'd be down if anyone else is interested.

Down.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Sorry didn't take any pictures but Odddzy, Mechafunkzilla and I met up and we are all shockingly normal by long term goon standards even though we're grapplers. No knee ligaments were shredded but much food was eaten.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Yuns posted:

Sorry didn't take any pictures but Odddzy, Mechafunkzilla and I met up and we are all shockingly normal by long term goon standards even though we're grapplers. No knee ligaments were shredded but much food was eaten.

Most goons I've ever met are pretty decent to ok people.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

We had a good time emptying Chinatown of its pork reserves, Yuns is an absurdly nice dude and Odddzy is now intent on becoming a TRT monster so I'd say it was a night well spent.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

i'm sad ya'll didn't scrap but good to know there are three alleged humans here & im not just posting at markov bots as i frequently believe

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
So, ever since the new semester started, we got a bunch of fresh white belts coming in. One thing I am struggling with, as a white belt myself, is when its appropriate to give them a hand with something? Every once and awhile I will see someone making a basic mistake and try to help them correct it, or will give them a few pointers if we are rolling.

Like two things that popped up yesterday was that we were drilling forward rolls and one of the newer guys was rolling directly over his neck instead of his shoulder, so I helped him get the motion for the forward roll right. Then another brand new guy was sitting and watching during rolls and I showed him basic stuff like guard and side control.

I just don't want it to seem like I am too big for my britches or that I am being arrogant but at the same time I know sometimes new guys can get lost and are too afraid to risk their pride or are too embarrassed by asking for help. Should I just mind my own business or is it ok to offer some advice even though I am still really new myself?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Should I just mind my own business or is it ok to offer some advice even though I am still really new myself?

If it's something basic or it's safety related go for it.

edit: Then again I'm the guy that gets side long looks from my instructor when I get asked how do pro-wrestling submissions and end up teaching a seminar on how to apply Lion-Tamers, Tequila Sun Rises, and Boston crabs against unwilling opponents. Your results may vary.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 14, 2018

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Ok. I guess that begs the question, how many of you are in the SoCal area??

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

One of my coaches, Travis Magalit, is facing Eddie Cummins at FTW in November. Don’t miss this match — Travis is an animal in nogi.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So, ever since the new semester started, we got a bunch of fresh white belts coming in. One thing I am struggling with, as a white belt myself, is when its appropriate to give them a hand with something? Every once and awhile I will see someone making a basic mistake and try to help them correct it, or will give them a few pointers if we are rolling.

Like two things that popped up yesterday was that we were drilling forward rolls and one of the newer guys was rolling directly over his neck instead of his shoulder, so I helped him get the motion for the forward roll right. Then another brand new guy was sitting and watching during rolls and I showed him basic stuff like guard and side control.

I just don't want it to seem like I am too big for my britches or that I am being arrogant but at the same time I know sometimes new guys can get lost and are too afraid to risk their pride or are too embarrassed by asking for help. Should I just mind my own business or is it ok to offer some advice even though I am still really new myself?

you should be able to go over what the basic positions are & to not do poo poo like knee wrestle or sit on your toes or have your fingers splayed when breaking guard or threatened with a sweep or whatever. for everything else just direct them to the professor

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean, I tend not to give out advice much because 1) I barely know anything as it is and 2) Anything I do know I don't want to be exploited lol. Helping people out so they don't at least injure themselves is good though.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Wait, don't sit on toes?

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

ICHIBAHN posted:

Wait, don't sit on toes?

sorry that was bad way to describe it. dont sit on your feet so if you get pushed back while doing white belt knee wrestling poo poo you get double ankle locked by the weight of your fat body

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Ohhh yeah, that's a good one

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Anyone got a good guide for taping up fingers, particularly pinky's? My left pinky is shot. Very painful to move. I got some tape arriving today.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Anyone got a good guide for taping up fingers, particularly pinky's? My left pinky is shot. Very painful to move. I got some tape arriving today.

Lemme find a good clip but I recommend H taping. I H tape all my fingers before I roll to prevent injury.

Since it's a pinky you are also gonna want to anchor it to your ring finger.

https://youtu.be/0ThzPFaxgEE vid

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpT1wljDi5Y

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Thanks guys. I really need to do this more. Check this poo poo out:

I guess when you train in gi 90% of the time your hands at some point are going to get hosed.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The Kurt Ossiander video which they reference is good, too.

I've had a decent number of finger problems. For the pinky - especially for the lower knuckles - I use the technique they demonstrate but in a double X buddy taping pattern - I do one X on the pinky itself, then one X or a Z to tape it to the ring finger.

Keep in mind that you'll tape your hands for a while and then decide that they don't hurt anymore and you'll stop taping them and you'll reinjure them. I've found that I need to keep taping any injured joint for 2-3 weeks after it stops hurting.

Cramer makes some decent 1/2 inch tape which you can get on Amazon for about 1.50/roll. I've gone through i think 2.5 cases of it by myself. It's not the stickiest, but it comes off of skin nicely and you don't have to tear it into strips. Typically I tape with that stuff and then secure the end with one loop of some more rugged tape.

I just signed up for a taping workshop! :v:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I guess when you train in gi 90% of the time your hands at some point are going to get hosed.

Yeah, I started preventative taping after my grip was getting sore and then I saw horror stories of black belts with gnarly knuckles and was like "just gonna tape from now on" Plus I have chronically dislocated thumbs so I just tape them up too.

Its actually kind of nice because it gives you about 15-20 minutes to sort of zen out before you roll. Its surprisingly time intensive but it sort of helps you get focused, might try that ring taping method from the other vid since it doesn't seem quite as laborious.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Taping my pointer/middle fingers together helps my elbow tendinitis.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Neon Belly posted:

Taping my pointer/middle fingers together helps my elbow tendinitis.

Interesting will try this

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

It's not scientific at all, but taping those fingers causes me to grip differently with that hand, so I think that is what is helping. I've also found that in the tendonitis has bothered me a lot less since I got back into lifting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
I had a chill roll with the instructor today during the sparring session. It felt like being killed by a highly skilled ninja-sloth.