Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Also he wants to murder anyone saying people should maybe get a raise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The reason minimum wage workers have to work so hard is because they should actually be making much less than minimum wage. Since the government doesn't allow employers to pay employees the minimum amount they would actually work for, they have to make the workers work as hard as they are willing to instead.

For example if I am willing to work for $1/hr in McDonald's at a stress-free pace, and tell that to my boss, but the government forces McDonald's to pay me $7/hr, then my boss knows that he can make me work very hard in a very stressful environment because that $7/hr would make me very happy compared to $1/hr, so that happiness can be counter-balanced by harder work and more stress without me quitting.

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

Just imagine the incredible stress-free powerhouse of a job if the government allowed companies to pay 0/hr and manage your life choices for you. The ultimate freedom.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Rarity posted:

Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to know more

I learned them from you and the rest of the folk in the UKMT thread. I owe my newfound political consciousness to watching y'all chat for the last two years.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

qkkl posted:

The reason minimum wage workers have to work so hard is because they should actually be making much less than minimum wage. Since the government doesn't allow employers to pay employees the minimum amount they would actually work for, they have to make the workers work as hard as they are willing to instead.

For example if I am willing to work for $1/hr in McDonald's at a stress-free pace, and tell that to my boss, but the government forces McDonald's to pay me $7/hr, then my boss knows that he can make me work very hard in a very stressful environment because that $7/hr would make me very happy compared to $1/hr, so that happiness can be counter-balanced by harder work and more stress without me quitting.

Holy gently caress :frogout:

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Accretionist posted:

I've never worked harder than for minimum wage.

there is definitely an inverse relationship between the amount of money i've gotten paid to work and the amount of work i've had to do to get paid

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

qkkl posted:

source your quotes plds

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

KaptainKrunk posted:

source your quotes plds

He's not quoting anyone, he's just a giant rear end in a top hat.

Or a "gimmick" of being an rear end in a top hat, which is essentially the same thing if you never break your gimmick.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

UBI sounds cool but as unpopular as this viewpoint might be i think implementing UBI would reduce economic output and you would end up sharing smaller and smaller versions of the pie. sure a lot of people have bullshit jobs that dont really contribute to anything and automation continues to increase but theres also important stuff that needs to be done by humans.

i think a drastic reduction and in peoples working hours along with an increase in wages would be a better short term solution. also smuch stronger workers rights ofc

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Accretionist posted:

I've never worked harder than for minimum wage.

At my poo poo minimum wage job I consider slacking off and drinking lots of the free coffee to be revolutionary acts. The coffee shits are also revolutionary

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
ubi would be fun at least to watch the entire food industry collapse

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

WampaLord posted:

He's not quoting anyone, he's just a giant rear end in a top hat.

Or a "gimmick" of being an rear end in a top hat, which is essentially the same thing if you never break your gimmick.

that dudes rap sheet is some galaxy brain stuff holy poo poo lol

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

D.Ork Bimboolean posted:

Just imagine the incredible stress-free powerhouse of a job if the government allowed companies to pay 0/hr and manage your life choices for you. The ultimate freedom.

I too saw Sorry to Bother You

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

qkkl posted:

Wait, what

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

qkkl posted:

I work for 32 dollars an hour at a stress free pace.

Coincidentally its a union job.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
Don't quote qkkl

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

ok sorry

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
UBI isn't "I'm going to stop working" money. It's "now I can afford to live while I work" money. The food industry will still have an army of labor to hire and fire at-will. It will help workers transition more easily though. If anything, it will be better in fact.

We have mobility of capital. Now we need mobility of labor.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sedisp posted:

I work for 32 dollars an hour at a stress free pace.

Coincidentally its a union job.

If the government increased the minimum wage to $120/hr, would you be willing to continue working at your job at a much higher, more stressful pace?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

buddy the food industry is held afloat by illegal immigrants, they won't be getting UBI

Mr. Sickos
May 22, 2011

UBI doesn't make people less productive. It allows people to work smarter by not burning themselves out and living more comfortably. Higher minimum wage and shorter work weeks could also achieve this, but only for those in (full time) employment. Experiments with UBI showed that people used their extra money to get higher education or start their own businesses. Got that from this book. Conservatives claim to love stuff about people being able to make something for themselves, but only as long as they are allowed to make it extremely difficult in the process.

Mr. Sickos has issued a correction as of 00:28 on Oct 14, 2018

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Alcatrash posted:

UBI doesn't make people less productive. It allows people to work smarter by not burning themselves out and living more comfortably. Higher minimum wage and shorter work weeks could also achieve this, but only for those in (full time) employment. Experiments with UBI showed that people used their extra money to get higher education or start their own businesses. Got that from this book. Conservatives claim to love stuff about people being able to make something for themselves, but only as long as they are allowed to make it extremely difficult in the process.

i feel like this can all be done better with poo poo like free schooling and a living stipend for students as well as higher wages and a stronger social safety net but maybe those are my economist brainworms speaking

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Productivity is useless when the world's melting. We need to focus on creating a sustainable society, not a productive one.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

babypolis posted:

i feel like this can all be done better with poo poo like free schooling and a living stipend for students as well as higher wages and a stronger social safety net but maybe those are my economist brainworms speaking

I have a slightly different strain of the same brainworm, but they also ask why not go whole hog? In practice the effect seems to boost productivity, which means that either 1) contemporary models of labor relations are missing something, or 2) someone is lying. Behavioral economics seems to at least posses a few answers for the first scenario, and for the second we have automatic rifles and guillotines.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Len posted:

A friend of mine learned that the hard way. He busted his rear end doing everything real management did for less pay because they kept dangling the carrot of "it'll happen soon" in front of him. It took like three years before they made him management.

Another problem with this is that management/execs have no reason to leave their jobs unless they are moving up the chain or sideways with benefits. They can easily keep their well paid job for as long as they like, and the positions will stay filled, but like you say they need to dangle the carrot to keep people interested in doing their best for the company until one of those slots gets freed up.

TheMostFrench has issued a correction as of 03:25 on Oct 14, 2018

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
The least gifted children of high-income parents graduate from college at higher rates than the most gifted children of low-income parents.

Money Trumps Genes

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
IDK about anyone else but if I were paid more I'd be more willing to actually buy poo poo from, like, stores and restaurants and not boxes of ramen or poo poo from China for cheap.

Dreddout posted:

Productivity is useless when the world's melting. We need to focus on creating a sustainable society, not a productive one.

Sorry capitalism disallows this.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'd unironically love to see/study a UBI simulation on a global scale, it'd be interesting to see how cultural differences effect the short and long-term outcomes.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Crosspost with youtube degeneracy thread.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

MeatwadIsGod posted:

It's literally just an outdated mindset held by people in ther 50s or older who think fast food still works like it did 30 years ago (i.e., every fast food worker is a teenager looking to make a little money and get their start as a worker). None of the people with this mindset realize that most fast food workers today are adults with families whose wages account for more than half of the family's income.

Even then, the idea that it's okay to treat teenagers like poo poo and exploit them seems ridiculous.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lambert posted:

Even then, the idea that it's okay to treat teenagers like poo poo and exploit them seems ridiculous.

I had to go through it.

It's a rite of passage.

Teaches you to want a real job.

Puts hair on your chest.

FYGM!

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Dreddout posted:

But what about MY MORAL OBLIGATION TO THE SHAREHOLDERS TO MAKE MONEY

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Communist Walrus posted:

But what about MY MORAL OBLIGATION TO THE SHAREHOLDERS TO MAKE MONEY

This is the capitalism equivalent of "I was only following orders"

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
the whole world is one giant peter principle

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The Bloop posted:

I had to go through it.

It's a rite of passage.

Puts hair on your chest.

FYGM!

Tbh I'd probably make any hypothetical kids do service work to instill a healthy respect for the proletariat

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'd unironically love to see/study a UBI simulation on a global scale, it'd be interesting to see how cultural differences effect the short and long-term outcomes.

you are really overestimating the predictive power of economics

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Gum posted:

you are really overestimating the predictive power of economics

I didn't think the poster in question was talking about that as if it were a real thing. you can talk about wishing to see things that don't or can't exist, after all

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

Tbh I'd probably make any hypothetical kids do service work to instill a healthy respect for the proletariat

Service Learning is becoming big in education (not sure about the US) and involves volunteering with underprivileged members of the community or advocating for changes to help others. I think it's fantastic and should be a mainstay for every junior high and high school year.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The Bloop posted:

I had to go through it.

It's a rite of passage.

Puts hair on your chest.

FYGM! Burma Shave!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Shima Honnou posted:

IDK about anyone else but if I were paid more I'd be more willing to actually buy poo poo from, like, stores and restaurants and not boxes of ramen or poo poo from China for cheap.

Capitalism will never resolve its greatest contradiction - that the producers are also the consumers, and the capitalist desires to pay them as little as possible in one hand, and charge as much as possible in the other.

You can't shift the producers elsewhere (say a sweatshop in India), because then you end up with your consumers having no money instead of merely little money.

You can't make production more efficient, because then you just end up with a surplus that never gets bought. Your producers still get the same amount of money, how are they going to buy more of what they make?

But consumption must continue, so instead we just see the rise and rise of consumer debt.