Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Well, someone else grabbed Tressa, but I'm happy with Alfyn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

ApplesandOranges posted:

Darnit, I was gonna grab the Olberic avatar. Guess I'll have to find something else.

there is literally nothing stopping you from getting one yourself.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

there is literally nothing stopping you from getting one yourself.

No, Nostalgia4Infinity, you don't GET it

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tempting, but I remembered another that I really liked from a Therion/Cyrus chat.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Finally got back into this game after picking it up right around launch, hitting a bit of a wall on Miguel (after plowing through earlier bosses), and putting it down for a couple months. Got through the chapter 4s (first few were a bit rough, but then began to snowball, especially after picking up sorcerer). I love so much about this game; the dialog and character interactions, the huge boss sprites (and high number of bosses), the combat system, the music, pretty much everything.

Just got to Galdera, I had to stop and really spend a lot of time organizing and optimizing my party. It's been so long since I've experienced that whole huge long final battle preparation, and it felt amazing. The fight took probably 2 hours and wrecked me: I hadn't farmed up post-game gear, so only a couple characters were well geared, and half were also severely underleveled. I couldn't burst down the souls fast enough and got to the point where I was running out of concoct components (concoct really kept me in the fight for wayyyyy longer that my setup should have allowed). Anyways, even though it didn't work out, it was still refreshing to experience a long turn-based boss fight, and I'm looking forward to gearing up and going at it again.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah I just picked up sorcerer. I had to cheap out a bit and give everyone (Cyrus (M), Prim, Tressa, Ophilia) the last Cleric skill to just survive those magical barrages, everyone was between 43-45 except for Cyrus, but it's likely I'm not very well-equipped. Once I could get the reflects going it became far simpler. I've made Cyrus my sorcerer, he used to be a cleric, and it feels a touch redundant but overall not a bad strategy.

I haven't done the chap. 4's. I'm going to tackle the Runelord first after an exploratory run that included a useless Therion. I'll be going back in with Prim, Olberic, and Alfyn along for the ride. I think the strategy is try to get Sidesteps on everyone with a little help from Merch. Olberic and Prim's Divine Skill. I'll see what Warlord has to offer next.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

I found that you can actually get sorcerer far undergeared/underleveled, the Dancer divine says "skills that target one foe instead target all", but it's actually "skills that target one target instead target all", so you can set up big stacks of partywide reflects really early and refresh them faster than he can break them .

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Lhet posted:

I found that you can actually get sorcerer far undergeared/underleveled, the Dancer divine says "skills that target one foe instead target all", but it's actually "skills that target one target instead target all", so you can set up big stacks of partywide reflects really early and refresh them faster than he can break them .

Absolutely but you still have to survive his barrages before he can apply the No-Buff spell that lasts 5 turns. So either be super fast, lots of elemental defense, or have lots of health, and the former wasn't going to happen for me.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

I just reset a few times (and equipped the act first skill) until I could Alfyn BP concoct, Divine, and get the first 4x reflect all in the first turn before he got a move, then he broke himself on 12x reflects, which was enough to get up to 9 reflect stacks on everybody, which is enough to ensure victory (might have to occasionally let somebody die when he does his debuff, and revive and re-reflect, but that's easily sustainable).

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Lhet posted:

I just reset a few times (and equipped the act first skill) until I could Alfyn BP concoct, Divine, and get the first 4x reflect all in the first turn before he got a move, then he broke himself on 12x reflects, which was enough to get up to 9 reflect stacks on everybody, which is enough to ensure victory (might have to occasionally let somebody die when he does his debuff, and revive and re-reflect, but that's easily sustainable).

Didn't think about Act First, didn't think that would work in boss fights.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
He starts with only 4 shields, you can easily break him on the first turn before he does anything at all as long as the first turn order is slightly favorable to you. It's way easier to do than having to rely on getting Alfyn -> dancer -> cleric in that exact order. He's vulnerable to spears initially so if you happen to get a warrior that goes before him, you can just use Thousand Spears and probably break him immediately (you're guaranteed at least three hits). You can do all the advanced jobs very early if you know the correct strats beforehand.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Oct 7, 2018

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
The way the character themes lead in to the boss music is sooooo good

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Modus Pwnens posted:

The way the character themes lead in to the boss music is sooooo good

It's one of the single best musical things in this game chock full of them.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It's one of the single best musical things in this game chock full of them.

This is one of the best games from a musical perspective in years. Probably my favourite since Bravely Default.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Hook Decisive Battle 2 into my loving veins.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Mega64 posted:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Mega64 posted:

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Battle II is better than Decisive Battle II :colbert:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Battle 2 is also great, it's really close between those two.

I guess the point is more battle themes need violins.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Battle 2 owns, as does the advanced job battle theme.

Basically this soundtrack is fantastic.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Underrated Fave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9MdinV0QIk

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't know if it's deliberate but I found this to be one of the more unsettling tunes in the game. The high tempo repetitive piano with the just barely-there echoing cymbals give it feeling of anxiety and the sense there's something wrong beneath of the surface of the town.

nth-ing that Decisive Battle II is an all-time great boss theme though

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

It doesn't get talked about as much but Battle at Journey's End (the chapter 4 boss theme) is also baller. It doesn't hit that hype meter quite like the opening to Decisive Battle II does but it's still an amazing climactic piece.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

multijoe posted:

I don't know if it's deliberate but I found this to be one of the more unsettling tunes in the game. The high tempo repetitive piano with the just barely-there echoing cymbals give it feeling of anxiety and the sense there's something wrong beneath of the surface of the town.

nth-ing that Decisive Battle II is an all-time great boss theme though

I can hear it in the second piano motif, but the main impression I got was water rushing over rocks from the piano and cymbal work.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride
I picked this game up again after letting it sit for months and months. I’m 65 hours in, level 40-50, and am about to begin tackling the advanced jobs. It really is so fun. The story is totally wack, but it’s wack in a way that I find oddly soothing and pleasing. (Except for Primrose.) And the music and the combat are so good that that’s all I need.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

YoshiOfYellow posted:

It doesn't get talked about as much but Battle at Journey's End (the chapter 4 boss theme) is also baller. It doesn't hit that hype meter quite like the opening to Decisive Battle II does but it's still an amazing climactic piece.

Ophilia's story was general pretty weak all throughout, but, imo, her story at the most dramatic and emotional chapter 4, and listening to Battle At Journey's End always makes me think of her - happy, caring, soft-spoken Ophilia - shouting "I will not lose to you!" while she stares down Mattias. Always sends a shiver up my spine.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Personally, I'm partial to the Woodlands town themes:

General: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X0qkdYe0DM
Victor's Hollow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ryf9_Qt_pyk

Also, despite all the stuff needed to actually unlock the final part of the game, all the endgame themes are extremely ballin':

Gate of Finis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uqTdaNwwCE
The One They Call the Witch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxprIHuxG_s
Moment of Truth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_304H_I1qUE
Daughter of the Dark God: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rvwryc9c2j0

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm disturbed by the lack of Settlement in the Red Bluffs, which is the raddest town theme in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wUUWZJnWB4

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Some Numbers posted:

I'm disturbed by the lack of Settlement in the Red Bluffs, which is the raddest town theme in the game.

This is my pick as well

minya
Sep 7, 2004

Can someone help with Archmagus strategy?

Here’s what I’m doing:

Olberic (warrior/hunter
Primrose (dancer/merchant)
Cyrus (scholar/cleric)
Alfyn (apothecary/thief)

I’ve had a couple tries where dude casts his mass debuff immediately, which fucks up my whole plan. Sometimes I’m able to break him before he debuffs and then I can Dancer Divine / mass reflect ... but then inevitably he will debuff again after two rounds of spells which fucks me up.

I guess what I’m asking is, how do I deal with the mass debuff (which prevents reflect)? What am I missing?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You have to survive it, theres no counters to it whatsoever which is annoying. As far as I can tell he only ever casts it once so as long as you survive that youre fine to set up your wombo combo. The skill that lets you overheal yourself helps a ton to survive at low levels

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, I only saw him cast it once against me. After the first cast, he just started breaking himself on the reflects.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

Last attempt he used it 3x :(

edit: I think he might use it by default first turn after coming out of a break? not sure. but he definitely hits me with it multiple times, regularly.

minya fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 14, 2018

minya
Sep 7, 2004

MOTHERFUCKER I BEAT HIM.

Took me like 60 turns and suffering through the debuff thing like 4x but Alfyn and his MFing Concoct saved my rear end.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

minya posted:

MOTHERFUCKER I BEAT HIM.

Took me like 60 turns and suffering through the debuff thing like 4x but Alfyn and his MFing Concoct saved my rear end.

Yeah, Concoct is incredibly good.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Those are the moments I liked best about the game.

Resources running low and time against ya, but you manage to pull something out of nowhere and just eke by.

That and all the sounds. Didn't want most of the physical components of the collector's edition, but could've stood to have acquired the soundtrack.

Ditto Labyrinth of Refrain.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

While I'm on a roll, I went ahead and ripped all the battle voices. I went ahead and posted all those on the subreddit.

I kinda-sorta have text too, and I may do the other voice work in the future, but I want to get other projects done and squared away before I dive into all that.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 18, 2018

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Mega64 posted:

While I'm on a roll, I went ahead and ripped all the battle voices. I went ahead and posted all those on the subreddit.

I kinda-sorta have text too, and I may do the other voice work in the future, but I want to get other projects done and squared away before I dive into all that.

Both Cyrus and Therion have way more personality in English.

There's no "wa-hahahaha" in Japanese. :(

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."
Please tell me you can rip Tressa's "Mrgrgr".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mega64 posted:

ripping audio

Do your methods apply to music as well?

There are some games with some tracks I wanna rip, but I haven't stumbled across documented procedures for ripping audio from Switch games.