Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Bunch of cops, ITT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Feel free to ignore my recommendations. I have just been doing this long enough to have witnessed several folks get burnt. I am far too close to retirement to risk anything myself.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I'd be mindful of doxing myself if I were in your shoes. Writing stuff like this out has a way of biting people in the rear end if they can pin down the origins of the comments.

Do you mean to tell me the guy who took his gun a part on watch and called a bunch of students bitches is still making bad decisions?

Well I never.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Feel free to ignore my recommendations. I have just been doing this long enough to have witnessed several folks get burnt. I am far too close to retirement to risk anything myself.

Ditto. I'll let lose my general geographic location and that's about it. Thats like picking out a specific needle in a needle stack around here.

Anyhoo, I just sent some folks to NSA Panama City early this morning. They're stuck in Tallahassee waiting for some roads to get better. I hope they packed a poo poo ton of spare tires, plugs and compressor. Lol, of course they didn't.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

PneumonicBook posted:

Do you mean to tell me the guy who took his gun a part on watch and called a bunch of students bitches is still making bad decisions?

Well I never.

First of all, the word was "retarded".

Secondofly, what I posted is common knowledge here, where this poo poo is happening. I just thought is was worth sharing how completely inaccurate the reporting by Navy Times is.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

First of all, the word was "retarded".

Secondofly, what I posted is common knowledge here, where this poo poo is happening. I just thought is was worth sharing how completely inaccurate the reporting by Navy Times is.

Lol, my bad. I'm just giving you poo poo. I appreciate the updates and it's fun when I talk to my brother and hes really confused on how I know all the poo poo going on down there.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Where you should actually be posting instead of here if there's an actual command cover-up of negligence and/or criminal behavior

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Yeah no kidding, I would go back and edit out my post too. Posting here and then not doing anything else if there's a cover up of information does not help. You need to let the IG know if there's something underhanded going on.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I removed it for everyone's peace of mind.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Edited out the last quote :tipshat:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/1600956002

I think the solution mostly lies in pushing out more SAPR training to junior personnel

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
We'll I have to say this is the first time I've seen this many new messages in the Navy thread and it not be a) someone asking if they should go nuke or b) someone with a college degree asking if they should enlist.

e: Best part of the article maffew posted was it had a link to this article:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/04/04/navy-chaplain-career-fired-sex-tavern-video-new-orleans/486259002/

vulturesrow fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 13, 2018

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
you never ask if you should enlist with a degree, you just do it because patriotism and then your XO walks around the woods naked and drunk and your branch transfer gets nixed because Trump wants a bigly Navy, so then you babysit fat kids, to include one who doesn't hide they watch hentai

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Should've included something about standing around pointlessly in formation at an international fleet review watching other countries wave at you from chairs and you can't wave back. Because traditions.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I've been thinking about network security on ships alot recently and I think BSG had the right idea, there is no such thing as a secure network.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Lou Takki posted:

I've been thinking about network security on ships alot recently and I think BSG had the right idea, there is no such thing as a secure network.

"But I will not allow a networked computerized system to be placed on this ship while I'm in command." -- Adama, S1E1.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Lou Takki posted:

Wait until someone goes after the merchant marine with a purpose. WannaCry/notpetya was funny.

WWIII’s battle of the Atlantic won’t need a whole lot of uboats.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

pmchem posted:

"But I will not allow a networked computerized system to be placed on this ship while I'm in command." -- Adama, S1E1.

Make Adama the space admiral of the space force and I'm enlisting day one.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Happy 243

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

maffew buildings posted:

you never ask if you should enlist with a degree, you just do it because patriotism and then your XO walks around the woods naked and drunk and your branch transfer gets nixed because Trump wants a bigly Navy, so then you babysit fat kids, to include one who doesn't hide they watch hentai

lol report him

upon further review sir the “girls” in the cartoon were actually 100,000 year old demons “morphed” and trapped in body that only looked to be 12.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

pmchem posted:

Literally started watching this two days ago, because it's the first time I've spotted the "miniseries" pilot and the actual show available to stream at the same time (Prime). And I liked that scene a lot.

Edit: :lol: at the Starship Enterprise being in the opening shot of the series, though

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Lou Takki posted:

Make Adama the space admiral of the space force and I'm enlisting day one.

Edward James Olmos just looks like a guy that gets poo poo done.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

Wait until someone goes after the merchant marine with a purpose. WannaCry/notpetya was funny.

WWIII’s battle of the Atlantic won’t need a whole lot of uboats.

That's why the US merchant marine is the best in the world, we don't even know what a computer is

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

shovelbum posted:

That's why the US merchant marine is the best in the world, we don't even know what a computer is

The people doing all the background logistics on your cargo, ordering your spare parts and your fuel, and sending out your orders certainly do.

It takes a fuckload of computers to run a container terminal properly, never mind getting the container from spoke port A to spoke port F.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

This little guy on the far left was used to transport sailors to submarines underway in Bangor era 90s 00s. It’s now living it’s life as a sea scout vessel in the Bay Area, CA.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

The people doing all the background logistics on your cargo, ordering your spare parts and your fuel, and sending out your orders certainly do.

It takes a fuckload of computers to run a container terminal properly, never mind getting the container from spoke port A to spoke port F.

Isn't this literally the plot to The Wire S2

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Isn't this literally the plot to The Wire S2

The Wire S2 made it look stupid simple.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
What you sayin drunks and or Poles ain’t smart enough?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I'm saying dockworkers should always watch out for their crew's Ziggy

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

There are way more Ziggies than there are Nickies in real life.

A good foreman will spend most of his time either getting rid of or shelving the Ziggies before they cause too much damage or get themselves killed in a workplace accident.

Also Wire S2 somehow managed to miss out on most of the stevedoring hijinx one could expect. “Hey man we heard you liked violating union call rules, so we rolled down your car window and buried it in soybean” type poo poo.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I'm kind of surprised Ziggy didn't end up with a container "accidentally" falling on him.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

EBB posted:

I'm kind of surprised Ziggy didn't end up with a container "accidentally" falling on him.

Him selling drugs and sucking at it was funny enough

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

EBB posted:

Dude the amount of paperwork and safety meetings... ugh.

Also it’s really hard to intentionally drop a container from a spreader like the ones they were using.

Now Ziggy could have gotten run over by a stacker or a lift though.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://news.usni.org/2018/10/15/navy-hopes-film-hunter-killer-boosts-recruiting-star-wants-movie-to-reinvigorate-submarine-movie-genre

quote:

Director Wolfgang Petersen’s use a submarine’s tight space helps build a gripping story, Butler said.

“You’re grabbing the edge of your seat the whole time, and you’re so with these warriors as they make these decisions and face some of their darkest moments they will, and they have to dig deep and really call on their brawn, and so we felt we could do that with this movie,” Butler said. “You can have fun with the gadgetry, the weapons systems, the platforms, but at the end of the day, it’s about the people operating them and how they have to think creatively and innovatively and courageously, and how they have to hold onto that kind of bedrock of steadiness and honor in the most incredibly tense dangerous situations.”

What Butler described as being a compelling story arch for a movie is often echoed by Navy officials pitching the careers in the service.

The hope is showing off the silent service won’t just attract young men and women to serve in the submarine community, but also encourage young people to learn more about the Navy, Vice Adm. Fritz Roegge, the former commander of U.S. submarine forces in the Pacific, said on Monday. Roegge is currently the president of the National Defense University.

“We’re competing for talent, and in this dynamic economy it’s more important than ever that we find ways to inspire the next generation of warfighters to consider serving in the Navy,” Roegge said. “Movies are proven to be good venues to reach Americans who would otherwise not have exposure to our great Navy.”

More sadbrains, I repeat, we need more sadbrains

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Ahh yes the service where you're completely safe from harm 99.9% of the time but that other 0.1% everybody dies at once.

I mean I'd still recommend it over infantry, but anybody smart enough to work on a sub should be smart enough to not enlist.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
"Careful, shipmate!"

"What, did I almost kill everyone?"

"No, you almost touched the wall of the shower. Don't do that."

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

Ahh yes the service where you're completely safe from harm 99.9% of the time but that other 0.1% everybody dies at once.

I mean I'd still recommend it over infantry, but anybody smart enough to work on a sub should be smart enough to not enlist.

I'd rather walk point every day of my life than be on a submarine. gently caress that poo poo.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Guess who has tickets to the on-base sneak preview showing of Hunter Killer this Saturday.

Apparently Gerard Butler and the director are both gonna be there.

I hope the movie is as good as Battleship.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Punch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

It’s good the Navy is recruiting like this as we need more bodies to replace the ones who just hung themselves in engineering. This is much easier pretending junior enlisted are humans who need sleep, time with family or a work life balance.