Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

Now, clearly All Might is the best of the heroes because he is a symbol of hope and all that, but I wonder if the police force any sort of Super Psycho Squad(reference to Cyberpunk TTRPG) to call upon if they lose control of the heroes.

Considering Heroes are basically an extension of the police force, I assume the response is just, you know, other heroes.

Why spend resources to invent a whole new kind of cop when you could just go up to Hawks and say "Hey, we got a problem..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mordaedil posted:

Now, clearly All Might is the best of the heroes because he is a symbol of hope and all that, but I wonder if the police force any sort of Super Psycho Squad(reference to Cyberpunk TTRPG) to call upon if they lose control of the heroes.

That would be a civil war and mark the breaking down of society so they along with everyone else would be hosed.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

In the same way that 36 counts of self defense with an automatic weapon won't hold up, neither will your ability to cause instant hemorrhages.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i mean if 36 people are trying to gun me down with their own automatic weapons i'm not so sure on that

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

I saw the MHA movie.

It was pretty good and apparently the Theater I went too sold out for the tickets on it which they haven't achieved in a very, very long time.

KomeradeCanadian
Jun 22, 2014
Does their depiction of superheroes in anime America differ?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There's only like one scene that shows American heroes and nah, they're not too different.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The Vigilante Manga has an American Superhero. He left America bc he lost all his money from a divorce and lawsuits or something IIRC.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
He was outright blacklisted and barred from doing hero work in America. He was in Japan because that's the only place where he could get work.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Does Crunchyroll do movies?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Does Crunchyroll do movies?

I hope so

I saw the MHA in theaters, but it was the subbed version

I’ve gotten too used to the dubbed version, so I really want to see the that version of the movie

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It'd be on Funimation if anywhere. And they do do the occasional movie.

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
UK dates for the movie were released today and it's coming to my town. But it's £12. To sit in a freezing cinema, which is too loud, and the screen is too close. Get off my lawn. I am torn. Torn and tight.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Imagine the type of poo poo you'd have to do to be kicked out of America as a supercop. Surprised the dude in Vigilantes isn't instantly ostracised the second anyone with ESL googles his name.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Imagine the type of poo poo you'd have to do to be kicked out of America as a supercop. Surprised the dude in Vigilantes isn't instantly ostracised the second anyone with ESL googles his name.

Nah, he’s just in Japan to avoid the controversy of his constant affairs and divorce, not because he was associated with police brutality or something

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

Nah, he’s just in Japan to avoid the controversy of his constant affairs and divorce, not because he was associated with police brutality or something

Yeah. Superheroes are a mix of celebrity and cop, which means they want to stay liked to be successful. Just being kind of an rear end in a top hat can torpedo your reputation if you don't have a track record like Endeavor. And I'm pretty sure even his cleared cases would be strained to the limit if his family issues came to light.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

superLINUS posted:

UK dates for the movie were released today and it's coming to my town. But it's £12. To sit in a freezing cinema, which is too loud, and the screen is too close. Get off my lawn. I am torn. Torn and tight.

Lucky, the Edinburgh showing was apparently sold out like two weeks back.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lucky, the Korea showing doesn't exist.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah. Superheroes are a mix of celebrity and cop,

Yeah, that describes Captain Celebrity.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
Big shakeup in the anime streaming space. Funimation is cutting ties with Crunchyroll, but despite all the sites using MHA as their banner image, MHA is not leaving Crunchyroll.

https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/1053006155843338240

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Big fan of streaming fragmenting into a bunch of 1st party services that aren't worth buying.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

they'll reconsider when everyone goes back to streaming sites and torrenting

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

livingfruitvirus posted:

Big shakeup in the anime streaming space. Funimation is cutting ties with Crunchyroll, but despite all the sites using MHA as their banner image, MHA is not leaving Crunchyroll.

https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/1053006155843338240

if they're taking their shows off VRV I'll just pirate them again

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I get my MHA off Hulu so as long as it doesn't leave that I'm good.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

eonwe posted:

if they're taking their shows off VRV I'll just pirate them again

yeah pretty much

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
This comes right when VRV announces they're picking up HIDIVE stuff. If Funi had stayed, everything finally would have been in one place. :sigh:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

VRV really loving owned with all the Funi stuff on it so this is a huge bummer. I'll consider subbing to Funi's thing because I'm an idiot and it's honestly not that expensive per-month, but maaaaan this sucks.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

VRV really loving owned with all the Funi stuff on it so this is a huge bummer. I'll consider subbing to Funi's thing because I'm an idiot and it's honestly not that expensive per-month, but maaaaan this sucks.

Same here. I loved being able to easily switch from dub to sub for my hero when they stopped doing same week simidub.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sounds like the MHA stuff on Crunchy got kinda grandfathered out of the Crunchy/Funi breakup, but you have to wonder about Season 4...

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Why does the western anime industry hate letting customers be happy?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ularg posted:

Why does industry hate letting customers be happy?

Didn’t even need a whole bunch of those words

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Didn’t even need a whole bunch of those words

I'm giving readers choice.

Alfredo Jones
Jun 5, 2011

Pretty please with sugar on top?
Wow this really sucks. VRV has been my site of choice for anime for the past year, and now it's getting neutered. I've really enjoyed Funimation's stuff, been watching their dub of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood for the past week, so I may consider subbing to their site if I got the money to spare. I just wish I knew why this split is happening in the first place. Has there been bad blood between Crunchyroll and Funimation?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Alfredo Jones posted:

Wow this really sucks. VRV has been my site of choice for anime for the past year, and now it's getting neutered. I've really enjoyed Funimation's stuff, been watching their dub of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood for the past week, so I may consider subbing to their site if I got the money to spare. I just wish I knew why this split is happening in the first place. Has there been bad blood between Crunchyroll and Funimation?

More likely between AT&T and Sony. Whee megaton monopolies!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Alfredo Jones posted:

A note: Funimation lost the rights to their dub of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. It's currently owned by Aniplex. For that reason I can't imagine it'll leave Crunchyroll's catalog with Funi's stuff, but even if it does it's also available on Netflix.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Big fan of streaming fragmenting into a bunch of 1st party services that aren't worth buying.

This is happening with pretty much every single online media delivery platform

Can't wait for a renewed crackdown against piracy in the next couple years with a whole lot of mega-intrusive DRM and customer-unfriendliness, as hyper-wealthy CEOs cry and whine that numbers are through the floor and it must be these nefarious pirates

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
lol and I *just* subbed to VRV too

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

:redass:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 19, 2018

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Be gay; do crimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Arist posted:

A note: Funimation lost the rights to their dub of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. It's currently owned by Aniplex. For that reason I can't imagine it'll leave Crunchyroll's catalog with Funi's stuff, but even if it does it's also available on Netflix.

how do you lose the rights to your own dub?