Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

*pats himself on the back* yep, that's my snipe right there

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

this has been the arse technical tagline since its inception

e: for example this article is from 2005 https://arstechnica.com/staff/2005/10/1676/

so those are the assholes responsible for that loving xMac bullshit

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
tech bloggers are chronic masturbaters, news at 11

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

new project: Twitter bot to spam this in replies

I’d say it’d be a complicated thing to program but you probably would get high enough accuracy using only tweet length and the existence of the string “1/x”

or just any reply that has "Actually," near the beginning

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub4rutos_uY

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
my bank denied my MacBook purchase because Apple triggered their fraud detection. hell, maybe Apple is fraudulent. really makes u think

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I guess they deemed you not rich and stupid enough to own a current gen Apple

it’s a blessing, really

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

i enjoy objective proof that literally nobody cares about the iwatch

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I have never heard that show at 1x speed so now to me his normal speaking cadence sounds like he is drunk

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i really don't get people who listen to music or podcasts at increased speed

what do you do with the precious seconds you save during your strenuous podcast listening schedule? squeeze in another sped-up podcast?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Stymie posted:

i really don't get people who listen to music or podcasts at increased speed

what do you do with the precious seconds you save during your strenuous podcast listening schedule? squeeze in another sped-up podcast?

yeah maybe i'm being too picky but it's not like there such an embarrassment of quality podcast content that you can't keep up with it on an average commute. maybe if you're making your way through something like that massive history of rome one, but even then you'd probably take it in more if you listened to it at a normal speed. it's like going on about the old school charm of rss readers then dropping the entire nyt, wired etc feeds in there

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

finally switched to overcast and the way it trims long gaps of silence easily shaved and hour and a half off my first week of listening

listening at double speed for audiobooks is nice because theyre slower than speech to me. podcasts are faster but not always well edited for time so it improves the experience

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Agile Vector posted:

finally switched to overcast and the way it trims long gaps of silence easily shaved and hour and a half off my first week of listening

listening at double speed for audiobooks is nice because theyre slower than speech to me. podcasts are faster but not always well edited for time so it improves the experience
lmao at listening to a podcast with long gaps of silence

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

lmao at listening to podcasts that care about audio quality

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Agile Vector posted:

lmao if didnt like history of rome

his dramatic pauses are too long sometimes, but his enthusiasm is wonderful. i just grabbed his book since after dozens of hours i want more

oh my god, i crossed the rubicon, i argued with stymie

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 13, 2018

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I keep wanting to play overwatch but boot camp assistant just crashes on open. probably a blessing in disguise

When nVidia stop showing off that they don't know how to configure a firewall you can use GeForce Now on Mac hardware and have an ok experience with the Overwatch.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
by trimming out "long gaps of silence" and listening to audiobooks at high speed i can dramatically increase the amount of audio that i don't process fully or retain because then i can nonchalantly mention how much i listen to in casual conversation in an attempt to impress people

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

*at watercooler* guys, i recently listened to this podcast about communism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imPJwYMlFTw

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

trimming silence in podcasts is such a weird feature. i'm not terrified of silence, my inner thoughts, my emotions, or my role in the universe

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

lol if you cant process information

Toady posted:

trimming silence in podcasts is such a weird feature. i'm not terrified of silence, my inner thoughts, my emotions, or my role in the universe

i didn't get the benefit until trying it, its a standin for tighter editing that smaller podcasts lack. some stuff doesn't need it if it has decent production value. i don't know if it would make sense for a book, for example

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 13, 2018

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I MacBook Pro arrived in the mail yesterday and I enjoy using it very much.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

cmykJester posted:

cool keep us posted

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i want a new ipad pro. release it already, tim

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

cmykJester posted:

you bought the wrong computer. send it back.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

akadajet posted:

i want a new ipad pro. release it already, tim

yeah, imma get one for me Mom

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

cmykJester posted:

what's it like living in a clean room?

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i constantly work around eraser, pencil shavings, and ink and i'm surprised my 2017's keyboard hasn't died yet

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
mine has a stuck b key - i'm going to da muthafukken fruit stand tomorrow

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Mad Wack posted:

i hope you have up to date backups. like a third of the laptop is attached to that key, i'm p. sure they just give you a new one

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

so is timb actually going to update the ancient Mac mini from 2014 like we were told he would, or has that all just been quietly forgotten now?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yes, except it's 1/4 the size, uses arm, and it's called apple tv

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Mad Wack posted:

they’ll try to clean under the key cap and if it doesn’t work it’ll be a top case replacement and 3-5 days without your computer.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

smellmycheese posted:

so is timb actually going to update the ancient Mac mini from 2014 like we were told he would, or has that all just been quietly forgotten now?

the last Mac mini was made in 2012

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Biodome posted:

they’ll try to clean under the key cap and if it doesn’t work it’ll be a top case replacement and 3-5 days without your computer.

Remember when macs used to have actual keyboards? :sigh:

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

using an ibook as a reference for that and not a powerbook g3 wall street lmao.

also the 2012/2013 remains the best keyboard i've ever used.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

SRQ posted:

using an ibook as a reference for that and not a powerbook g3 wall street lmao.

also the 2012/2013 remains the best keyboard i've ever used.

the iBook keyboard was stupid easy to remove, the num lock led is a screw and the other two gaps in the function row are little latches

lifting it up like that is a 5s job

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

what's it like living in a clean room?

i thought they fixed it with a condom between the keys and the switches

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol of course people are only doing this nonsense to mac keyboards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

infernal machines posted:

i hope you have up to date backups. like a third of the laptop is attached to that key, i'm p. sure they just give you a new one

thanks i am resurrecting my old time capsule for a full backup, dont wanna wait forever for bbbbackblaze