Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Could you just run the pipes by some magma and then by a cold biome?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

jetsuits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0-gs9uzbXA

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
If you're playing the test branch, you need to start a new world if you want normal gases in your world.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Lazy Lady's SPOM

Noting that I don't play with germs on so it's not really fair. Also wheezes will go in the spaces when I get to the ice biome.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
How is it self powering?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Mayveena posted:

Lazy Lady's SPOM

Noting that I don't play with germs on so it's not really fair. Also wheezes will go in the spaces when I get to the ice biome.

I think putting the output through a few gas tank in a chlorine chamber will kill off germs quickly, ‘less they patched it out.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Captain Monkey posted:

How is it self powering?

It’s lazy :haw:

Edit for content: after playing straight up survival for months, my god is “no sweat” mode incredibly fun! I just wanted to set up a little ant-farm to tinker with the game’s mechanics (sandbox mode is not as fun for me)

I’m working on some room templates that I will screenshot soon.

Literally Kermit fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 7, 2018

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Captain Monkey posted:

How is it self powering?

Hey I'm not doing all the walking!!!! Naw, it actually chews up so much algae that I'm already running out. And the power requirement is ridiculous.

Speaking of SPOM's though, someone was mentioning on reddit that you can use a gas tank instead of the batteries that we've been seeing. Anyone try that?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Mayveena posted:

Hey I'm not doing all the walking!!!! Naw, it actually chews up so much algae that I'm already running out. And the power requirement is ridiculous.

Speaking of SPOM's though, someone was mentioning on reddit that you can use a gas tank instead of the batteries that we've been seeing. Anyone try that?

That sounds like a good idea. Feed all the hydrogen into a tank and split the output. Take one pipe to feed back to the SPOM(s) and the other to burn off generators with a cutoff valve set to minimum tank level. If the tank is too low, don't feed the burn off gens.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Ratzap posted:

That sounds like a good idea. Feed all the hydrogen into a tank and split the output. Take one pipe to feed back to the SPOM(s) and the other to burn off generators with a cutoff valve set to minimum tank level. If the tank is too low, don't feed the burn off gens.

Yeah when I dump what I'm trying to use now, I think I'll try that. Will have to play around with the proper levels for the tank.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

So based on what I'm reading, abyssalite can't be used as a building material anymore, including for insulated tiles and pipes. Is that correct?

If so, man, proper heat management now requires space technology. Which is incredible because it's the opposite direction they need to be moving in with the whole thing.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
You can get ceramic pretty early on, that's the new replacement for early/mid-game Abyssalite (when used as insulated tile/pipes)

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
Alright, I need some help with my automation set up.

So on my current playthrough, I have a very good cool steam vent outputting a substantial amount of water. I also have a nice PW pit for feeding pincha peppers that doubled as a water feed for my SPOM's and bathrooms. With my fancy new steam vent, I've hooked it up to both SPOM's and the bathroom, so my current goal is to build an aquatuner inside the PW, and cool the steam vent water for plants. A pretty typical use case, but the actual result isn't working.

Here's the setup: Build a thermo pipe sensor coming from the aquatuner output and attach two shutoff valves next to the sensor. One shut off valve shunts water that's above 25 degrees, turned on by the thermo pipe sensor, and the second opens with a NOT gate when the first one is closed. Additionally, I keep the line feeding the aquatuner closed until the sensor detects water went down the 'cooled' path. The result of this setup is that the sensor will sometimes feed cold water into the aquatuner, breaking it. I can't figure out why the pipe sensor will push water into the 'hot' pipe, because it shouldn't be opened if the sensor is reading below 25 degrees. What am I doing wrong here, and how do you properly redirect hot/cold water using automation?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

So based on what I'm reading, abyssalite can't be used as a building material anymore, including for insulated tiles and pipes. Is that correct?

If so, man, proper heat management now requires space technology. Which is incredible because it's the opposite direction they need to be moving in with the whole thing.

Yeah it’s been turned into a non- building material. Some combinations involving obsidian are being tested as a replacement.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Still early on in figuring out how everything works.

First off, I've made a kind of airlock chamber which I hoped would keep slimelung out for the most part. It hasn't. How do I clean this up?

Secondly, how to people deal with overloading circuits? Just put heavy wire everywhere? I thought I could junction it off and only put heavy wire on the main pathways but it apparently still transfers the full power to each wire tile.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

You need to use transformers to divide circuits into separate high power with thick wire and low power with thin wire circuits. There are two sizes of transformers corresponding to different sized loads on the low-power side. You connect the thick wire to one side and the thin wire to the other.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Deodorizers will clean polluted oxygen near itself which is the main carrier for slimelung. However CO2 and Hydrogen gas have slower die off rates than having the germ exposed to oxygen or chlorine, which leads to pockets that take a long time to disappear. Slimelung can also be carried on the surface of items; if you're bringing slime into your main base, the germ is going to be coating your ladders by the dupes transporting the slime and then outgas to germy polluted oxygen when it sits in storage. You can build storage underwater which prevents this outgassing. That said, <1000 in a pocket is not really that concerning.

Research transformers and connect your power gen as heavy wire to it, then use the smaller wire on the other side to power circuits that will not draw more than 1000w at a time. Anything higher than that will burn out the smaller wire. Later on you can research small wire than can handle 2MW.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Disinfecting stuff is pretty trivial to do. If you are carrying slimelung, occasionally switch to the germ view and disinfect surfaces that have a lot of it. That will be sufficient to keep your dupes healthy.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Slimelung only actually hurts your dupes if their immunity gets down to 0%. This just won't happen if you have a some pockets of a few thousand germs in your house. It dies in anything that isn't PO2 so if you can get that to low levels it can't really accomplish much. The airlock is a good idea but you seriously just don't have to worry about it if a little gets in or if your dupes carry it for a while.

The way I deal with it is by building the airlock and then forbidding dupes from entering the slime if their immunity starts dropping. If they can't get exposed to pockets of any real amount then their immune system will handle it.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

When their immunity is low, how do I get them to rest or increase it back up?

I have a bunch of med beds and I've assigned them to it but they won't use it.

Sanguinaire
Feb 10, 2003
Med beds are for when immunity hits zero and they become sick. Keep the dupes out of slime lung and eating not food poisoned food for several cycles and they will recover.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

DarkAvenger211 posted:

at the right side of the priorities tab, theres an up and down arrow, which will increase or decrease the priority of all errands. you can use this to stop them doing anything else by clicking down until all the boxes for the dupe you're enforcing bedrest for have Xs in them.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Wow, you can now use Refined Metal as Raw Metal when building stuff.

Huge change.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

You can also make a Vacation schedule with no work time and assign low immunity dupes to it. They won't get anything done but it's better than forgetting which jobs the soon-to-be sicko will still try to complete in slimetown.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

DarkAvenger211 posted:

You can also research and build a pharma station that will dispense pills. The ones use a bit of coal and a balm lily and increase resistance from 8% to 18%, which is a huge jump. Just make sure you disallow everyone from eating it using the 'Consumables' tab first.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

User0015 posted:

Alright, I need some help with my automation set up.

So on my current playthrough, I have a very good cool steam vent outputting a substantial amount of water. I also have a nice PW pit for feeding pincha peppers that doubled as a water feed for my SPOM's and bathrooms. With my fancy new steam vent, I've hooked it up to both SPOM's and the bathroom, so my current goal is to build an aquatuner inside the PW, and cool the steam vent water for plants. A pretty typical use case, but the actual result isn't working.

Here's the setup: Build a thermo pipe sensor coming from the aquatuner output and attach two shutoff valves next to the sensor. One shut off valve shunts water that's above 25 degrees, turned on by the thermo pipe sensor, and the second opens with a NOT gate when the first one is closed. Additionally, I keep the line feeding the aquatuner closed until the sensor detects water went down the 'cooled' path. The result of this setup is that the sensor will sometimes feed cold water into the aquatuner, breaking it. I can't figure out why the pipe sensor will push water into the 'hot' pipe, because it shouldn't be opened if the sensor is reading below 25 degrees. What am I doing wrong here, and how do you properly redirect hot/cold water using automation?

Quoting my own post because I figured out how to do this.

My mistake was trying to use two pipe shutoff valves and sensor logic to switch between them. This doesn't work.

Instead, you create an element sensor immediately before the valve shutoff input, link them together with automation, and then continue the piping past the input to wherever. In this case, a thermo sensor set at "Activate when below 40 degrees" causes water below 40 degrees to go through the valve shutoff. The rest flows past it to continue down the pipes. Easier than I thought it was.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

8 weeks for the next upgrade I guess they are slowing down. I've never absorbed the rocketry stuff, maybe by then I will have.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

If I queue up a bunch of different foods for continuous production. If I run out of stuff for one recipe will it skip it and move onto the next recipe I do have stuff for? Or will it forever be stuck on the one I'm missing ingredients for?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

DarkAvenger211 posted:

If I queue up a bunch of different foods for continuous production. If I run out of stuff for one recipe will it skip it and move onto the next recipe I do have stuff for? Or will it forever be stuck on the one I'm missing ingredients for?

it wont skip

build multiple grills, one for each food item

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010
Is there any (major) downside to bottling up, say, all the carbon dioxide in my base for future use? I know people say just dig deeper and let it settle but down at this stage is slime territory.

Also I have a steam vent really close to an AETN and I have no idea how to fully utilize that other than I need to use the water to get oxygen cause Im running out of algae faster than my dupes can safely mine slime.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

it wont skip

build multiple grills, one for each food item

This needs to be the first QOL improvement they make. In fact, any queue'able producer should work by cycling.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

It’s important to seal the core of your base so that you keep oxygen generation to a minimum.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

User0015 posted:

This needs to be the first QOL improvement they make. In fact, any queue'able producer should work by cycling.

the best would be if it just went by priority. first things until it runs out of materials, then second etc.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

BlueOccamy posted:

Is there any (major) downside to bottling up, say, all the carbon dioxide in my base for future use? I know people say just dig deeper and let it settle but down at this stage is slime territory.

Also I have a steam vent really close to an AETN and I have no idea how to fully utilize that other than I need to use the water to get oxygen cause Im running out of algae faster than my dupes can safely mine slime.

What do you mean by 'bottling up' CO2? I honestly thought you meant freezing it into liquid form and bottling it. Letting it sit at the bottom of your base is perfectly fine. I typically get a nice chunk of CO2 somewhere and build mushrooms around it for easy food access early in the game. Digging into a little slime won't hurt you either, dupes will recover even if they inhale 200,000 slimelung. It's repeated exposure or an uncontrolled spread that will get them sick. Even then, you have 10 cycles to build and assign them to a med bed, where they'll recover.

Slime biomes went from one of my more hated biomes to one of my favorites. If you find a cold slime biome, you can even pump out the PW and use a radiator to absorb heat out of a steam geyser since hot PW is good for pincha peppers or deleting it via water filtration.

As for the AETN next to a steam vent, you've got it made. I'd kill for that setup on my current map (Oh, hello second chlorine vent and second CO2 vent outputting at 500 degrees!). Here's what you can do with this setup:

1) Enclose the AETN and steam vent if they're very close together. Otherwise, enclose the AETN.
2) Build a SPOM in there using geyser water and instead of feeding the hydrogen into a generator, feed it into the AETN and the enclosed space of the AETN. As in, dump it into the world. Open this vent last, btw.
3) Depending on what you want to cool, snake a radiator through the AETN. You don't need very much, an AETN will cool water very quickly, especially if you use a valve to lower the size of the water packets to half.
4) Output is nice and cold water.

But there's even more from there:

1) Dig and get some oil or just use PW.
2) Pump it into a second radiator through the AETN and steam geyser. Let the liquid inside collect the heat and bring it back to the AETN.
3) Close this loop and enjoy.

You've now got a liquid cooled steam geyser that will either start producing cool water straight from the tap if you run it long enough, or at least you'll have fresh cold water. This is honestly a wonderful setup, and I wish I could make the same thing. My map seed is absurdly difficult, so both my AETN's are literally diametrically opposite to my steam vents. There's also not a single slush geyser that I can find, which means the entirety of my water is coming from two geysers.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Truga posted:

the best would be if it just went by priority. first things until it runs out of materials, then second etc.

I'd be ok if it even required automation and an attached fridge or storage compactor.

I'd also like an automated oil refinery. I realize you can engineer one using lava, but still.

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010

User0015 posted:

What do you mean by 'bottling up' CO2? I honestly thought you meant freezing it into liquid form and bottling it. Letting it sit at the bottom of your base is perfectly fine. I typically get a nice chunk of CO2 somewhere and build mushrooms around it for easy food access early in the game. Digging into a little slime won't hurt you either, dupes will recover even if they inhale 200,000 slimelung. It's repeated exposure or an uncontrolled spread that will get them sick. Even then, you have 10 cycles to build and assign them to a med bed, where they'll recover.

Slime biomes went from one of my more hated biomes to one of my favorites. If you find a cold slime biome, you can even pump out the PW and use a radiator to absorb heat out of a steam geyser since hot PW is good for pincha peppers or deleting it via water filtration.

As for the AETN next to a steam vent, you've got it made. I'd kill for that setup on my current map (Oh, hello second chlorine vent and second CO2 vent outputting at 500 degrees!). Here's what you can do with this setup:

1) Enclose the AETN and steam vent if they're very close together. Otherwise, enclose the AETN.
2) Build a SPOM in there using geyser water and instead of feeding the hydrogen into a generator, feed it into the AETN and the enclosed space of the AETN. As in, dump it into the world. Open this vent last, btw.
3) Depending on what you want to cool, snake a radiator through the AETN. You don't need very much, an AETN will cool water very quickly, especially if you use a valve to lower the size of the water packets to half.
4) Output is nice and cold water.

But there's even more from there:

1) Dig and get some oil or just use PW.
2) Pump it into a second radiator through the AETN and steam geyser. Let the liquid inside collect the heat and bring it back to the AETN.
3) Close this loop and enjoy.

You've now got a liquid cooled steam geyser that will either start producing cool water straight from the tap if you run it long enough, or at least you'll have fresh cold water. This is honestly a wonderful setup, and I wish I could make the same thing. My map seed is absurdly difficult, so both my AETN's are literally diametrically opposite to my steam vents. There's also not a single slush geyser that I can find, which means the entirety of my water is coming from two geysers.

There's a new (to me, at least) thing where you can bottle up gases, haven't tried it though. I'm running into a pressure problem where I set up my first electrolyzer is why I want to get rid of the CO2.

This map's from before the rocketry upgrade, I took a peek on an autosave and looked around it doesn't have space up top- I plan on continuing on it for a bit though before rolling a new map so I can learn some more first before starting over.

When you say close a loop, do you mean a little pocket with a liquid pump and a liquid vent right above it, and just have the pump run?

This is my furthest map ever, I'm on cycle 142. Just made my first two exosuits! So my dudes don't get hypothermia trying to build around the AETN.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Is it normal for a cool steam vent to not put out enough water to run two electrolyzers?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Truga posted:

I can't believe they haven't done this yet.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sillybones posted:

I can't believe they haven't done this yet.
It's my biggest peeve about the game. Higher than resource or energy deletion, because those have legitimate "It's hard" arguments. There's absolutely no good reason why I need one chef jumping between four grills just because I want to make sure any meat I get immediately triggers a kebab run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

How is dealing with space asteroids?

For some reason it's making me not want to start a game and deal with a world ending timer to get some kind if bunker built.

Am I a giant baby, is the timer really long to deal with it, is the effect really not that bad or is it priority 1 get that shield up if you want to have a workable world?