Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The funniest part of End Times, to me, will always be that in the story meant to jack off Chaos as invincible, Chaos only narrowly wins at the 11th hour because the stupidest vampire does something totally pointless and stupid for no reason.

Like even in their 'Look how invincible Chaos is' story Chaos still manages to suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

SteelMentor posted:

Mannfred getting the poo poo slapped out of him by everyone and everything is a continual joy and I'm glad the tradition continued into AoS.S

Seriously, Nagash brought him back just to slap the poo poo out of him for all eternity. Incredible.

http://horus-did-nothing-wrong.tumblr.com/

I HAVE NOTHING TO DO FOR THE NEXT ETERNITY EXCEPT TO SAFEGUARD THE SOULS OF THE DEAD, AND DEVISE ENDLESS WAYS TO MAKE YOUR WORTHLESS CARCASSES MISERABLE.

IF ONLY THERE WAS MORE TIME.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

:siren: IMPORTANT LUTHOR HARKON NEWS :siren:

so i was just doing some research when it turns out that GW author Josh Reynolds let slip what was originally intended to happen with Luthor in the End Times.

Rather than getting punked out by Worlds Worst Vampire Mannfred, Luthor was originally meant to get in a massive 3 way naval battle with Long Drong's Dwarf Slayer Pirates and Gutrot Spume's Nurgle plague ship. Luthor would fight them to a standstill, and wind up duelling Gutrot mano-a-mano on the deck of a sinking ship, still clashing blades with the nurgle champion as the waters overtook the deck. His fate would be left ambiguous, but it would be a lot better than getting his hand chopped off and then dying of being touched by a lady.

For whatever reason GW didnt decide to tell that story, which explains why Luthor's massive pirate armada suddenly vanishes from the plot for no reason, and he ends up secondary to far shittier characters.

Long Drong, no word on if silver is involved

Gutrot Spume, a cool model at least

I'm tempted to edit this on to the larger Harkon post so people know THE TRUTH.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Luthor had a whole mess of boats go poof, which is more befitting of like Mannfred or some poo poo and not Crazy Ol' Luthor.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Tiler Kiwi posted:

thanquol should have been an incarnate, at least then his random stupid betrayal for dubious power would be more in character

Yeah, Thanquol has a whole book named after him and a fancy new model, but he doesn't do much in it. He's tutored by Skreech Verminking, the top Verminlord, and finally takes Nuln and gets to be on the Council of 13. That pales in comparison the rest of the book, with all of Dwarfdom making a last stand against the warlord clans, the fall of Middenheim, and a loving moon getting blown up and incinerating two continents.

It ends with Verminking shows Thanquol a vision of Throgrim getting assassinated and takes him aside because there's more planning to do. Then the next book is the last and we never see them in it. There's a lore blurb in a White Dwarf suggesting that they were working on transplanting the Under Empire into the Realm of Chaos, but that's it.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Night10194 posted:

The funniest part of End Times, to me, will always be that in the story meant to jack off Chaos as invincible, Chaos only narrowly wins at the 11th hour because the stupidest vampire does something totally pointless and stupid for no reason.

Like even in their 'Look how invincible Chaos is' story Chaos still manages to suck.

I'm not sure this has ever been the case considering how much stuff counters Chaos.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
In the midst of all this Vampire Pirate chat, has there been any word on the FLC lord that is supposed to be released at the same time?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Given the naval battle overhaul, I think consensus itt is that one dark elf naval lord or something like that?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Lokhir Fellheart would make sense. But I'm kind of hoping the Skaven or Lizardmen get something.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Yeah Lokhir Fellheart seems the obvious choice.

There is a VA credited as Malus Darkblade, but whether that's another red herring thrown out by CA (like the data-mined Silver Lady for Vampirates).

I hope it's not Malus, because everything points to him starting in Hag Graef and bleh to putting more DE's in that increasingly cramped start position.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Night10194 posted:

It's been 14 years since Storm of Chaos. At some point you're going to have to come to terms with the fact that the result was pre-written.

Like, do you think the End Times writers went in intending to 'Jack Chaos off', then somehow wrote and edited and published a story where they just barely won against their own intentions?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It always kinda irked me how Grimgor punking Archaon was always treated as a grand triumph over dastardly chaos fanbois at gw because uh gw wrote that? And then end times happened and people legit thought gw writers had been stewing over the the thing they wrote for a decade and were finally like “yes haha now Archaon-kun can finally defeat that baka Grimgor”

Anyway, it looks like the loreful landmarks mod of all things was loving up my game and crashing it.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

give me clan eshin with deathmaster sniktch or I will have to mod it into the game myself

more likely to be something skyre related so we can get jezzails and ratlings and those ratling gun armed rat ogres but I want my drat rat ninjas please

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You're right. It's just weird how badly done both conclusions are. I suppose the really unsatisfying and weird nature of how Storm of Chaos ended is what makes it feel like something went wrong somewhere in deciding how to write it.

And End Times was just frustrating.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 14, 2018

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
The GCCM settlements maps are really cool but the AI cannot fight on them at all. They have no strategy baked in to deal with maps that complex. It kind of sucks because the maps are so cool and have so many more tactical options. I had to turn it off after the VC sat in a ball in a corner of a siege map the furthest away from the capture point they could get and wouldn’t move.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Speaking of mods, does anyone remember the mod that makes Beastmen spawn randomly on the map (or one that works in a loreful way) as opposed to how it currently works?

I remember seeing it. And with the way it is now it's just a pain in the rear end. Beastmen and Savage Orcs only spawn on you without that mod. Which means that not only is the game more static but you have to constantly deal with a mechanic prejudiced against you to gently caress you over at the worst possible of times with literally just about no counter.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Night10194 posted:

If it helps, Mannfred is basically Donald Trump if someone vamped him and told him to speak like someone put him through several years worth of Anne Rice novels Clockwork Orange style. IE: Egotistical to the point of being self destructive, dumb as a sack of rocks, is generally convinced he's the smartest/best person in any given room or location, and simply cannot resist verbally fellating himself all while stabbing/getting ready to stab someone he needs in the back.

Seriously. The dude had might as well be named "Starscream 2.0." for how much he fucks himself over with his egotism, greed, and ambition. Hell, not only did he destroy the world out of hair-brained greed, but he also hosed over Vlad from conquering it centuries earlier. Meaning that Vlad never couldn't neuter chaos so the end times wouldn't have been able to happen in first place. The latter of which probably would have had Mannfred being given Sylvania under his control at the very least, since Vlad would have been an emperor and would have been busy with that. It's heavily implied in one of the books that the reason got Vlad killed/stopped him from winning in his invasion of the Empire was because he was jealous of his success as well.

He's basically a poser-pire that's a borderline parody. Hell, he speaks ye olde english when literally no person of his era talked like that. Just look at Isabella as an example of what I mean. She'll rip a dude in half while screaming about how much she loves Vlad and about how badly she's planning on loving you up. And like Vlad she's been dead for a century or two to boot!

Given all that it's kind of a surprise that they didn't write him in as loving things up even sooner. But yeah. End Times is rear end all around, really. Still pissed off they killed all the characters in the Gotrek and Felix books off for that mess.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 14, 2018

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Richard Bong posted:

The GCCM settlements maps are really cool but the AI cannot fight on them at all. They have no strategy baked in to deal with maps that complex. It kind of sucks because the maps are so cool and have so many more tactical options. I had to turn it off after the VC sat in a ball in a corner of a siege map the furthest away from the capture point they could get and wouldn’t move.

This has a lot to do with pathing issues that present themselves when you have 200-strong bricks of infantry trying to shuffle over a causeway only narrow enough for them to march 4 men wide. The game always tries to maintain cohesion within models of a single unit, but that isn't always feasible in those beautiful GCCM maps that have tons of greebly bits in them.

The maps are absolutely beautiful but unfortunately the game doesn't seem to be intended to fight at such a scale with so much stuff on the screen. Try to fight a siege battle in Nuln and your framerate slows to a crawl from the hundreds of buildings, gates, and doodads everywhere. Nuln and Marienberg look great and from a defensive standpoint actually allow you to adopt a strategy of defense in depth by holding various districts/bridges within the city. But you're almost never going to be up against enough invaders in one battle for this to be relevant, and besides even in a 500v500 man battle all that decoration is tanking your framerate so bad it takes ages to finish the battle.

The Dwarf GCCM maps are better, because many of them are actually fairly small. Karak Kadrin has its signature long bridge over a chasm, but Vampire Counts will not hesitate to use flying units to completely bypass it (much to my surprise). Most maps put much less empathasis on lots of towers and more on using the terrain itself. Some, like Karaz-a-Karak are brutally simple in their application; a single narrow passage with two ledges you can put artillery on on the flanks to shoot at attackers.

Main issues seem to be maps that are pretty but unnecessarily huge, and an over abundance of FPS wrecking ornaments that don't actually affect the battle itself yet slow gameplay down to molasses speeds.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Archonex posted:

Speaking of mods, does anyone remember the mod that makes Beastmen spawn randomly on the map (or one that works in a loreful way) as opposed to how it currently works?

I remember seeing it. And with the way it is now it's just a pain in the rear end. Beastmen and Savage Orcs only spawn on you without that mod. Which means that not only is the game more static but you have to constantly deal with a mechanic prejudiced against you to gently caress you over at the worst possible of times with literally just about no counter.

You may have it mixed up, Beastmen and Savage Orcs do spawn in other areas. They tend to be specific parts of the world map, but they are fairly widely distributed. Its easy to tell- at the beginning of a turn you'll get a notification that they spawned, but when you click on the location it is often far from where you currently are.

The main problem is that they seldom do anything useful. Since the AI relies on autoresolve chances to decide whether to attack or not, they'll just fart around, they often don't seem to grow in size, and only very occasionally pick off an army or raze a weakened settlement. While it is nice to munch of the recently spawned army for easy exp, it would be nicer if they were enough of a threat to the AI to actually help you indirectly by trashing your enemy's heartlands to take pressure of them invading you.

Have the spawns scale based on the wealth of the region, and be more likely to spawn in regions that changed hands recently (more likely to have weakened armies and settlements). Make it easier for them to get waaghs/brayherds since I've pretty much NEVER seen the random spawns get strong enough to get them as well. And hell, have Skaven armies spawn in a similar way.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Panfilo posted:

You may have it mixed up, Beastmen and Savage Orcs do spawn in other areas. They tend to be specific parts of the world map, but they are fairly widely distributed. Its easy to tell- at the beginning of a turn you'll get a notification that they spawned, but when you click on the location it is often far from where you currently are.

The main problem is that they seldom do anything useful. Since the AI relies on autoresolve chances to decide whether to attack or not, they'll just fart around, they often don't seem to grow in size, and only very occasionally pick off an army or raze a weakened settlement. While it is nice to munch of the recently spawned army for easy exp, it would be nicer if they were enough of a threat to the AI to actually help you indirectly by trashing your enemy's heartlands to take pressure of them invading you.

Have the spawns scale based on the wealth of the region, and be more likely to spawn in regions that changed hands recently (more likely to have weakened armies and settlements). Make it easier for them to get waaghs/brayherds since I've pretty much NEVER seen the random spawns get strong enough to get them as well. And hell, have Skaven armies spawn in a similar way.

I think Beastmen are threat enough that I always clear them up when they're deep in my territory. Several times I've had them declare war at the worst possible time when all my armies are occupied and 5+ turns away. Same for the marauder armies really.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Panfilo posted:

I've literally only seen them spawn in my area in this game. A post on reddit says they're at least prejudiced to spawn around your territory too. Though maybe that was from the first game?

Hell, I have literally three factions just trying to camp my regions by raiding. It's really frustrating since the second I wipe one army out or drive it off another moves in. At which point I have to run after that one. At which point the first one is back and as an extra gently caress you another new faction of enemies spawned on top of that.

Did I just get really unlucky or something?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Archonex posted:

If it helps, Mannfred is basically Donald Trump if someone vamped him and told him to speak like someone put him through several years worth of Anne Rice novels Clockwork Orange style. IE: Egotistical to the point of being self destructive, dumb as a sack of rocks, is generally convinced he's the smartest/best person in any given room or location, and simply cannot resist verbally fellating himself all while stabbing/getting ready to stab someone he needs in the back.

Seriously. The dude had might as well be named "Starscream 2.0." for how much he fucks himself over with his egotism, greed, and ambition. Hell, not only did he destroy the world out of hair-brained greed, but he also hosed over Vlad from conquering it centuries earlier. Meaning that Vlad never couldn't neuter chaos so the end times wouldn't have been able to happen in first place. The latter of which probably would have had Mannfred being given Sylvania under his control at the very least, since Vlad would have been an emperor and would have been busy with that. It's heavily implied in one of the books that the reason got Vlad killed/stopped him from winning in his invasion of the Empire was because he was jealous of his success as well.

He's basically a poser-pire that's a borderline parody. Hell, he speaks ye olde english when literally no person of his era talked like that. Just look at Isabella as an example of what I mean. She'll rip a dude in half while screaming about how much she loves Vlad and about how badly she's planning on loving you up. And like Vlad she's been dead for a century or two to boot!

Given all that it's kind of a surprise that they didn't write him in as loving things up even sooner. But yeah. End Times is rear end all around, really. Still pissed off they killed all the characters in the Gotrek and Felix books off for that mess.

Also fun Mannfred facts.

- Vlads Sylvania was largely mortal. In fact it became the best run province in the Empire under his rule, and became near Reikland/Wissenland levels of wealthy. The people were taken care of, no monsters haunted anybody, people had plenty to eat for the first time ever. It was so good for most of them that when Vlad was exposed to be a Vampire, none of them gave a single poo poo. If this is what living under a Vampire was, then awesome, sign us right up. Most of his army on the way to Altdorf was comprised of normal humans who weren't under any sort of charms, they just loving loved Vlad and believed he would have been a better Emperor. Within a single generation Mannfred had hosed all this up and turned it into a shithole where he had zero nonundead servants, and everything went back to being lovely, including his castle. Which he constantly complains about in the books he's in.

- So Mannfred built this massive undead army in secret, because he technically ruled Sylvania but basically just haunted it. Eventually he got into a fight with Stirland. Nooooot the Empire. Nooooot multiple provinces. Not the Emperor. Stirland. You know the shithole almost as bad as Sylvania. Because you see, now that Vlad wasn't holding him back, he was going to conquer the Empire and become Emperor himself, so he better start small with Stirland. He set this huge trap, made these huge elaborate pointless plans, raised this massive army, and actually got the Stirland army to fall into his trap.

They still kicked his poo poo in and left him dead rotting in a ditch until Nagash came back. Why? Because Mannfred is loving awful at being in a battlefield as well. He couldn't even win a battle against STIRLAND.

He's more useless then Ghorst.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I think it is a combination of several factors. One is the cheaty nature of the AI and how those spawns will be pretty unaffected by friendly corruption, the other is how much enemies raiding you screws you over but the AI doesn't nearly get as affected, since higher difficulties give it such big public order and income bonuses. And yeah in Mortal Empires they will spawn in various places, though they do spawn closer to you more often. Biggest threat off the top of my head is a beastmen stack you can encounter very early on as Empire, though that might be one of their LL's that tries to pounce on Helmgart.

My ideal situation would be for their to be specific scripts for the stacks to follow, working like this:

-75% chance for a standard horde spawn, 25% chance for one of those cool random spawns.

-Stack strength is proportional to the wealth of the region they spawn in.

-Autoresolve bonus vs other AI factions, creating a happy medium between making them a credible threat to the AI yet not bulldozing over everything they touch.

-Beastmen spawn in Magical/Temperate Forest/Savannah/Jungle climate regions. Savage Orcs spawn in Badlands/Desert/Mountain climates.

-Rogue Black Arks spawn in northern ocean regions. They have very high movement over ocean and will threaten armies crossing the seas.

-Vampire Pirates get similar effects as the Vampire Coast faction coming out, though they will have a specific target they will go after, typically proportional to wealth and proximity, and spawn in maelstroms.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Rookersh posted:

Also fun Mannfred facts.

- Vlads Sylvania was largely mortal. In fact it became the best run province in the Empire under his rule, and became near Reikland/Wissenland levels of wealthy. The people were taken care of, no monsters haunted anybody, people had plenty to eat for the first time ever. It was so good for most of them that when Vlad was exposed to be a Vampire, none of them gave a single poo poo. If this is what living under a Vampire was, then awesome, sign us right up. Most of his army on the way to Altdorf was comprised of normal humans who weren't under any sort of charms, they just loving loved Vlad and believed he would have been a better Emperor. Within a single generation Mannfred had hosed all this up and turned it into a shithole where he had zero nonundead servants, and everything went back to being lovely, including his castle. Which he constantly complains about in the books he's in.

- So Mannfred built this massive undead army in secret, because he technically ruled Sylvania but basically just haunted it. Eventually he got into a fight with Stirland. Nooooot the Empire. Nooooot multiple provinces. Not the Emperor. Stirland. You know the shithole almost as bad as Sylvania. Because you see, now that Vlad wasn't holding him back, he was going to conquer the Empire and become Emperor himself, so he better start small with Stirland. He set this huge trap, made these huge elaborate pointless plans, raised this massive army, and actually got the Stirland army to fall into his trap.

They still kicked his poo poo in and left him dead rotting in a ditch until Nagash came back. Why? Because Mannfred is loving awful at being in a battlefield as well. He couldn't even win a battle against STIRLAND.
He's more useless then Ghorst.

That's not what happened tho, he marches to Altdorf after destroying several armies but can't besiege it because one of Volkmar's predecessors has the Liber Mortis and can unbind the undead army. Then he plays cat and mouse for like twenty years across the Empire before finally getting pinned and destroyed by an Empire-Dwarf alliance. And this is against an Empire that immediately puts aside internal struggles because they remember what happens if they squabble among themselves when a von Carstein is invading from Vlad's go-around. Also there are still humans in Sylvania same as ever, they were even in Mannfred's army list for Storm of Chaos.

Mannfred is a conniving backstabber but he's not stupid. Or not supposed to be stupid, no one ever accused GW of good writing.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 14, 2018

j5mello
Jul 23, 2008

Archonex posted:

In case anyone cares, GW just released a Gotrek & Felix Omnibus with the first three books in it (Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer) plus some short stories. Its only on their website right now for USD$21.

Looking for the individual books elsewhere on the internet, they are priced from 15 bucks used up to 60 for new copies.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Panfilo posted:

This has a lot to do with pathing issues that present themselves when you have 200-strong bricks of infantry trying to shuffle over a causeway only narrow enough for them to march 4 men wide. The game always tries to maintain cohesion within models of a single unit, but that isn't always feasible in those beautiful GCCM maps that have tons of greebly bits in them.

The maps are absolutely beautiful but unfortunately the game doesn't seem to be intended to fight at such a scale with so much stuff on the screen. Try to fight a siege battle in Nuln and your framerate slows to a crawl from the hundreds of buildings, gates, and doodads everywhere. Nuln and Marienberg look great and from a defensive standpoint actually allow you to adopt a strategy of defense in depth by holding various districts/bridges within the city. But you're almost never going to be up against enough invaders in one battle for this to be relevant, and besides even in a 500v500 man battle all that decoration is tanking your framerate so bad it takes ages to finish the battle.

The Dwarf GCCM maps are better, because many of them are actually fairly small. Karak Kadrin has its signature long bridge over a chasm, but Vampire Counts will not hesitate to use flying units to completely bypass it (much to my surprise). Most maps put much less empathasis on lots of towers and more on using the terrain itself. Some, like Karaz-a-Karak are brutally simple in their application; a single narrow passage with two ledges you can put artillery on on the flanks to shoot at attackers.

Main issues seem to be maps that are pretty but unnecessarily huge, and an over abundance of FPS wrecking ornaments that don't actually affect the battle itself yet slow gameplay down to molasses speeds.

I wish they could release separate maps for all the bug capital cities, one for campaign that focuses on AI and pathing and one for custom battles with all the ornamentation and more elaborate defenses.

You are right about Dwarf settlements though. My favorite siege I’ve ever fought was as VC’s taking out Zhufbar with a massive garrison. It’s one of my favorite siege maps because the walls are actually just a small corner of the map and then it’s narrow streets and alleys all the way to the back. Normally on siege maps the AI puts a main force at the walls and then sits a small group back on the control point, but the map had 3 control points staggered through the city. As a result, after I took the walls the dwarfs still had a ton of infantry in reserve and the battle became a street to street slugfest, with the famously stubborn dwarfs fighting almost to the death for every street and alley.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It always kinda irked me how Grimgor punking Archaon was always treated as a grand triumph over dastardly chaos fanbois at gw because uh gw wrote that? And then end times happened and people legit thought gw writers had been stewing over the the thing they wrote for a decade and were finally like “yes haha now Archaon-kun can finally defeat that baka Grimgor”

People like that narrative more, truth or not, because at the time GW was at the height of its shittiness and it felt a lot more satisfying to pull one over on them after all that time. It makes for a much funnier overall meta-story and given the lack of quality in End Times it dovetails nicely with people's notions of GW's degree of care and attention to their own IPs. Like, I've read that narrative from multiple places and it just feels like a neat tale people tell about an event that didn't really seem to go how GW wanted to. Let people have their rose tinted glasses. :shrug:

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That's not what happened tho, he marches to Altdorf after destroying several armies but can't besiege it because one of Volkmar's predecessors has the Liber Mortis and can unbind the undead army. Then he plays cat and mouse for like twenty years across the Empire before finally getting pinned and destroyed by an Empire-Dwarf alliance. And this is against an Empire that immediately puts aside internal struggles because they remember what happens if they squabble among themselves when a von Carstein is invading from Vlad's go-around. Also there are still humans in Sylvania same as ever, they were even in Mannfred's army list for Storm of Chaos.

Mannfred is a conniving backstabber but he's not stupid. Or not supposed to be stupid, no one ever accused GW of good writing.

You destroy the world once and people are writing defamatory fanfic years later.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I wish they could release separate maps for all the bug capital cities, one for campaign that focuses on AI and pathing and one for custom battles with all the ornamentation and more elaborate defenses.

You are right about Dwarf settlements though. My favorite siege I’ve ever fought was as VC’s taking out Zhufbar with a massive garrison. It’s one of my favorite siege maps because the walls are actually just a small corner of the map and then it’s narrow streets and alleys all the way to the back. Normally on siege maps the AI puts a main force at the walls and then sits a small group back on the control point, but the map had 3 control points staggered through the city. As a result, after I took the walls the dwarfs still had a ton of infantry in reserve and the battle became a street to street slugfest, with the famously stubborn dwarfs fighting almost to the death for every street and alley.
Another cool thing they do is have the unwalled and walled versions be slightly different, with the unwalled version being 'under construction' compared to the walled version.

Some of the other maps have a few unique elements. Karak Izor has a huge canal splitting the whole map in two. Naggarond has a stretch of wall you can deploy vanguard units directly adjacent. One of the greenskin settlents is a hill with two paths that spiral up to the summit.

And many captials aren't fully walled, you can either use siege towers/battering rams or just bypass that to come in from a side path.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I think the one thing I'd like to see in sieges is to move the control point in front of the majority of defenses/walls, not behind. Keep the walls in range of archers and towers and you're good. As it is there's basically no reason to ever push for control of the point, simply because you're either defending the walls or defending the point and the battle is almost always won by the time you get there, if you do. That'd also mean that while you can storm the walls, you don't have to. Doing so lets you take out their ranged and towers, which is nice but not necessary. Letting you pick between assaulting the point, which should be somewhat defensible, and a defensive hardpoint gives you more choices in sieges and hopefully opens the fight up so its less of the irritating siege clusterfuck we all know and love.

Also, it would let you use more "defensive" map designs like the Oak of Ages map, which is a lot more interesting to fight on than the majority of siege maps. The maps would still favor defenders, and still have towers etc, but would be closer to the good GCCM stuff and less of the generic "yep, its a wall" fights that currently exist.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I'm bummed there aren't any small walled settlements that let attackers come in from every direction to spread out Defenders. There are some GCCM unwalled settlements for vampire counts that force Defenders to protect a little Hamlet, and has undead tearing out of the surrounding forests to mob the garrison.

Having those decorative structures actually have some function would be neat too. Imagine using dwarf artillery to raze those little buildings to give Defenders reduced leadership or vigor.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It always kinda irked me how Grimgor punking Archaon was always treated as a grand triumph over dastardly chaos fanbois at gw because uh gw wrote that?
The story has obviously been embellished over the last 15 years, after it became a symbol of how little GW listened to its fanbase (until the Endtimes happend at which point that became the symbol). But at the time it really did sort of feel like a victory.
I mean, it was hyped up by GW as this big narrative campaign where the results from people's battles would influence the story. And then because the writers obviously wanted the big climax to be at the walls of Middenheim, GW kept pretending all the results of Chaos loosing didn't happen. A lot of the players were annoyed at how it was being handled.
It was stupid that Grimgor left Archaon alive, but if there wasn't some sort of Ork victory in the story I'm pretty sure all of the Ardboyz players would have besieged Nottingham and demanded Gav Thorpe's head.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Panfilo posted:

I'm bummed there aren't any small walled settlements that let attackers come in from every direction to spread out Defenders. There are some GCCM unwalled settlements for vampire counts that force Defenders to protect a little Hamlet, and has undead tearing out of the surrounding forests to mob the garrison.

Having those decorative structures actually have some function would be neat too. Imagine using dwarf artillery to raze those little buildings to give Defenders reduced leadership or vigor.

Yeah I would like to fight in hamlets instead of just either walls or fields. Choke points are things.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Raygereio posted:

The story has obviously been embellished over the last 15 years, after it became a symbol of how little GW listened to its fanbase (until the Endtimes happend at which point that became the symbol). But at the time it really did sort of feel like a victory.
I mean, it was hyped up by GW as this big narrative campaign where the results from people's battles would influence the story. And then because the writers obviously wanted the big climax to be at the walls of Middenheim, GW kept pretending all the results of Chaos loosing didn't happen. A lot of the players were annoyed at how it was being handled.
It was stupid that Grimgor left Archaon alive, but if there wasn't some sort of Ork victory in the story I'm pretty sure all of the Ardboyz players would have besieged Nottingham and demanded Gav Thorpe's head.

I like to give GW credit since it was cool that they threw in that nod to the Orc side unexpectedly going full Order. If we accept the fact that it was always going to end with Chaos getting to Middenheim but not taking it, which it was, then they kinda followed through on the whole fan campaign thing. I think it'd have gone a lot better if they were more open about it being fans influencing a pre-determined story that was unfolding. I also remember the daily updates actually acknowledging the fan results, which was cool. It just all got immediately swept under the rug. The most memorable was that the Dogs of War fan forums committed to registering all their wins at one specific city that started with a B (don't think it's on the TW map) and stonewalling Chaos there. GW needed to push the story forward so they wrote that Archaon had invested the city but the mercenary defenders never gave in and it held through the whole war, and had Archaon canonically kill the Tzeentch champion who failed to take it as punishment. Then they moved the online map to the next city. Lots of people cried bullshit but I thought it was cool at 12, cuz I knew we were getting the Return of the King ending but with Karl Franz as Aragorn and some rohirrim so french that Tolkien might vomit.

I think people go overboard with GW "favouring" Chaos though. One cuz they've been the main villains of the game since day 1 so it's kinda like getting into 40k and complaining that it focuses on humans, and two cuz the campaign was obviously broken as gently caress in order's favour. They were pitting two factions against fifteen or so. And beasts had come out like, that year.

Me and my friends genuinely loved that summer even if 90% of our "battles" were fakes we just recorded on the website.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Edit: wrong thread

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 14, 2018

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I like to give GW credit since it was cool that they threw in that nod to the Orc side unexpectedly going full Order. If we accept the fact that it was always going to end with Chaos getting to Middenheim but not taking it, which it was, then they kinda followed through on the whole fan campaign thing. I think it'd have gone a lot better if they were more open about it being fans influencing a pre-determined story that was unfolding. I also remember the daily updates actually acknowledging the fan results, which was cool. It just all got immediately swept under the rug. The most memorable was that the Dogs of War fan forums committed to registering all their wins at one specific city that started with a B (don't think it's on the TW map) and stonewalling Chaos there. GW needed to push the story forward so they wrote that Archaon had invested the city but the mercenary defenders never gave in and it held through the whole war, and had Archaon canonically kill the Tzeentch champion who failed to take it as punishment. Then they moved the online map to the next city. Lots of people cried bullshit but I thought it was cool at 12, cuz I knew we were getting the Return of the King ending but with Karl Franz as Aragorn and some rohirrim so french that Tolkien might vomit.

I think people go overboard with GW "favouring" Chaos though. One cuz they've been the main villains of the game since day 1 so it's kinda like getting into 40k and complaining that it focuses on humans, and two cuz the campaign was obviously broken as gently caress in order's favour. They were pitting two factions against fifteen or so. And beasts had come out like, that year.

Me and my friends genuinely loved that summer even if 90% of our "battles" were fakes we just recorded on the website.

its weird as well because in 40k they constantly have to skew the results against chaos when they do the story campaign thing. players always try to get chaos and/or orks to win, and one time chaos absolutely stomped in the games people played, but GW ended it with some fudge about chaos winning the space battle but losing the ground battle (???)

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Whorelord posted:

I'm not sure this has ever been the case considering how much stuff counters Chaos.

Chaos doesn't actually want to win and the most metal thing is Archeon figuring that out and deciding to win anyway. Really should have thought through that whole Everchosen thing a bit more.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Relevant Tangent posted:

Chaos doesn't actually want to win and the most metal thing is Archeon figuring that out and deciding to win anyway. Really should have thought through that whole Everchosen thing a bit more.

yeah they hosed up by trolling Archaon too hard. i thought he was a really lame character, then i read up on his backstory and his motivation and was like hell yeah archaon gently caress them all up. he deserved to win in the end.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

trolling their champions to make them really angry is Chaos' go to move and tbf to them it's hilarious so it makes sense that they'd just keep doing it regardless of consequences. "Go on this quest or I'll kill your entire town. Whoops, now your entire town is trying to kill you." "Your great enemy is this nobody, better lead him to an increasingly powerful series of treasures guarded by things you assume will kill him."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

ZeusJupitar posted:

It's been 14 years since Storm of Chaos. At some point you're going to have to come to terms with the fact that the result was pre-written.

Like, do you think the End Times writers went in intending to 'Jack Chaos off', then somehow wrote and edited and published a story where they just barely won against their own intentions?

God drat imagine if it wasnt and chaos won "congratulations to our chaos players, you worked very hard to win Storm of Chaos and now that the fantasy world is dead we will no longer be supporting our fantasy line."