Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

phasmid posted:

Oh snap, the guy whose answer to the deathstar was a deathstar-size lightsaber doesn't care about what the elitists think!

(I never read Mieville, probably should, but LeGuin and Banks are brilliant and this motherfucker wants to act like they're only well liked because hurr durr the librul media)

It wasn't a lightsaber though, it was just called that because of appearance. It was the Death Star superlaser without the accompanying space station bits, which seems reasonable enough of an idea to me.

I mean don't get me wrong, I'm not defending his terrible writing and opinions on writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Please do not use the c-word in reference to the ...leavings... of other, lesser writers. Canon is and can only be produced only by The Maker and those He authorized.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
“Muuuaaadiiiiiib! You’ve started to believe
The things they say of you
You really do believe
This Shai Hulud is truuuuue!”

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Applewhite posted:

You really do believe

I'm probably missing the reference but I thought of Chappelle's Tupac sketch

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm probably missing the reference but I thought of Chappelle's Tupac sketch

https://youtu.be/pqoeM18vCaU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

I actually have a leaked part of the script from the forthcoming film.

Paul: Can I play the baliset anymore?
Dr Yueh: Of course you can!
Paul: Well, I couldn't before!
(PAUL performs a spectacular baliset solo, Dr. Yueh is unimpressed.)
Fremen Chorus: Dr. Yueh Dr. Yueh! Dr. Yueh Dr. Yueh! Dr. Yueh Dr Yueh! Ohhhhh Dr. Yueh!

FTFY

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

:negative:

Ratatozsk posted:

Dr Yueh, Dr Yueh
Oooooooooooo
Dr Yueh!

Can I play the baliset anymore?

Well of course you can!

But I couldn’t before!

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
KJA - Kwisatz Jack rear end - The universe's most loathsome being

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Applewhite posted:

gently caress, I just realized the solution to the problem of successfully bringing DUNE to the big screen is to make it a musical.

Opera. By Gilbert & Sullivan.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I am the very model of a modern Fremen general.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I can show you the Worm,
shining, shimmering, splendiiiid...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

HairyManling posted:

KJA - Kwisatz Jack rear end - The universe's most loathsome being

I'm Duncan Idaho, and welcome to Jackass.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Murray Mantoinette posted:

Shaddam:
I hate every Paul I see
From Atreid-As to Atrei-Ds
Oh they've finally smashed my army

Yes we've finally smashed his army

Yes they've finally smashed them all
At Aaaa-raaaaa-keeeeeen!
I love you, Dr. Yueh!

Well, you've displayed more creativity and respect for the source material than @DuneAuthor.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Applewhite posted:

You really do believe

*shai hulud instantly obliterates judas for singing w/ rhythm*

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
I'm rappin' Leto II
And I'm here to prove
Without millenia of tyranny
Humanity's doomed!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
A shadout to my girl Mapes!

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

The second season of Togetherness (I think it's on HBO) includes two of the main characters creating a Dune puppet musical. Their sandworm leaves something to be desired.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
god bless this big hot mess spice mass

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Dune, Where's My Car

Hey can someone break down to me the ending of the books? I remember from some discussion here that two weird characters with extremely plain-sounding names (at least relative to most other characters in Dune) show up as harbingers of some force, possibly the return of the thinking machines? What's the deal with that? Is this in the end of Frank's work, or is it the lesser Herbert's writing?

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Mister Speaker posted:

Dune, Where's My Car

Hey can someone break down to me the ending of the books? I remember from some discussion here that two weird characters with extremely plain-sounding names (at least relative to most other characters in Dune) show up as harbingers of some force, possibly the return of the thinking machines? What's the deal with that? Is this in the end of Frank's work, or is it the lesser Herbert's writing?

Marty and Daniel. They are face dancers that have absorbed so many personas that they've essentially become godlike, and are what the Honored Matres are fleeing. @duneauthor retconned them to be robits.

E:

quote:

Daniel chuckled. "That would've been funny. They have such a hard time accepting that Face Dancers can be independent of them."
"I don't see why. It's a natural consequence. They gave us the power to absorb the memories and experiences of other people. Gather enough of those and . . ."
"It's personas we take, Marty."

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Mister Speaker posted:

Dune, Where's My Car

well you see they're fleeing Lord Cybertrex 8000 and

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

Dune, Where's My Car

this is a really big thing to me that says "i used dad's notes" is just hugely bullshit

if he found his dad's notes, maybe early drafts or nixed ideas, maybe. but i think brian herbert really just ran out of money and decided to use his dad's IP, and i bet KJA writes like everything in the new books with next to no real oversight from brian, who just cashes the check he gets.

thats my @duneauthor conspiracy.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
See, here's the thing. Frank - even demented old man Frank - had interesting ideas. His son? No good ideas.

So when he and the dopey Star Wars novella man say they found the Rakis hoard, it's actually just them rifling through whatever they can and cobbling up their threadbare imitations to lap up money that nerds with no imagination need to fuel their dopey brainworks until the next pop scifi poo poo comes out (as long as it isn't some faggy poo poo that icky girls also like because that'd ruin it).

Seriously, if there's any doubt just read the man's other novels or even his short stories. He alluded to his inspirations too. These two chucklefucks don't read history or old poetry and if KJA knows who Philip Dick is that's only because he's a movie fan.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Point is, they're writing about writing about writing about George Lucas writing about Flash Gordon. It's a plagiarism of an homage. They're hacks. Nothing good.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I have heard that Frank's original notes suggest that eventually the galaxy establishes a democratic government, built along the lines of the Gene Besserit leadership.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

basic hitler posted:

this is a really big thing to me that says "i used dad's notes" is just hugely bullshit

if he found his dad's notes, maybe early drafts or nixed ideas, maybe. but i think brian herbert really just ran out of money and decided to use his dad's IP, and i bet KJA writes like everything in the new books with next to no real oversight from brian, who just cashes the check he gets.

thats my @duneauthor conspiracy.

My copy of Messiah has a foreward by duneauthor. I always found it weird that it was so well written with an exploration of the differences between the first and second books. I think this theory has merit.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

mossyfisk posted:

well you see they're fleeing Lord Cybertrex 8000 and

Is the baddies actually named lord cyber t rex

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Is the baddies actually named lord cyber t rex

The baddie is named OMNIUS or something. Lord Cybertrex would be better because it is funnier, but Dune fans don't get to have nice things.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

MRC48B posted:

My copy of Messiah has a foreward by duneauthor. I always found it weird that it was so well written with an exploration of the differences between the first and second books. I think this theory has merit.

@duneauthor is actually the kwisatch haderach and we are currently on the Golden Path his father could not bear to face. Upon his destruction the reign of complacent and mediocre writing will collapse and there will be a great exodus, followed by an influx of the literary equivalent of sexy space nuns and super Face Dancers.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
*lightsaber snaps open*

Ay yo, I hear there be Harkonnen present.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Ratatozsk posted:

@duneauthor is actually the kwisatch haderach and we are currently on the Golden Path his father could not bear to face. Upon his destruction the reign of complacent and mediocre writing will collapse and there will be a great exodus, followed by an influx of the literary equivalent of sexy space nuns and super Face Dancers.

so are we all the various duncan idahos, out of time and unable to understand the present, who inevitably try to kill @duneauthor at some point?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CYBERTRAX was a badass racing game imo

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I’m almost certain that Frank Hebert’s notes didn’t outline resolving the story through a giant deus ex machina of a character who wasn’t introduced until Brian and KJA started churning out lovely prequels. I don’t remember her name. Norma something? She transcends time and space for reasons.

I seem to recall the ending being vaguely along the lines of:

Everyone: Duncan, you’re the ultimate Kwisatz Haderach
Duncan: No, I’m not.
Everyone: You are if you believe you are.
Duncan: I am the ultimate Kwisatz Haderach now and also about that robot/human conflict - can’t we all just get along!?
~Fin~

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
In Hunters of Dune, the 2006 Herbert/Anderson sequel to Frank Herbert's 1985 Chapterhouse: Dune, the Oracle of Time appears. She is able to communicate with the Guild Navigators and Duncan Idaho telepathically, although the range of her communications and prescience has limits. The Oracle possesses the power to fold space; she calls all Navigators to a certain coordinate in space, and when they arrive in their heighliners she transports them all to an alternate universe. She informs them that Kralizec, the so-called "final battle," is upon them, and they must find the wandering no-ship Ithaca. According to the Oracle, the Ithaca—fleeing from both the Bene Gesserit and the all-powerful Daniel and Marty—contains the ultimate Kwisatz Haderach, and both sides in the great war between humanity and thinking machines wants him for their victory.[2] The Oracle finds the Ithaca and transports it back to the Old Empire, telling passenger Duncan that he has a part to play in Kralizec. But with Daniel and Marty in pursuit, the Ithaca soon flees and the Oracle loses track of the ship again.

At the end of Hunters, it is revealed that Daniel and Marty are in fact reincarnations of thinking machine leaders Omnius and Erasmus, and that the Oracle of Time is actually the consciousness of Norma Cenva, somehow still in existence over 15,000 years after the formation of the Spacing Guild. She watches over humanity in order to prevent Omnius and the thinking machines from destroying the human race.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

When that book came out I went to the bookstore and opened it to the end. I told myself as I did this, "If the big threat is actually OMNIUS, I will put this book down and never look back."

Ten seconds later I put that book down and never looked back.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
As always thug notes gives good reviews.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxq2ztkE0eE

I finally got the Folio Society copy of Dune, just need to get through 2 other books that are in the queue, the illustrations are really amazing.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Shadout in the streets, sandtrout in the sheets

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

phasmid posted:

Ay yo, I hear there be Harkonnen present.

Oh poo poo, Dune Omar is the thing I never knew I needed until this very moment.

E: I'm a big "no such thing as ethical consumption" guy and yet I'm looking for a pre-1998 second-hand copy of all six so I know no benefit went to them-who-shall-not-be-named after they committed their act of literary necrophilia.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Oct 17, 2018

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Schadenboner posted:

E: I'm a big "no such thing as ethical consumption" guy and yet I'm looking for a pre-1998 second-hand copy of all six so I know no benefit went to them-who-shall-not-be-named after they committed their act of literary necrophilia.
I have/had a set like that, as well as a hardback copy of Dune signed by Frank. I think a good portion of the softbacks were destroyed by mice when they got into the cardboard boxes of books in my garage a few years ago, when there was this insane explosion in the population of mice around here. But the signed copy is in a bookcase at my mom’s house. Hopefully still in good condition.

I’ve recently finished reading the series again on Kindle and hate the fact that I’ve given that rear end in a top hat any of my money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

HairyManling posted:

I have/had a set like that, as well as a hardback copy of Dune signed by Frank. I think a good portion of the softbacks were destroyed by mice when they got into the cardboard boxes of books in my garage a few years ago, when there was this insane explosion in the population of mice around here. But the signed copy is in a bookcase at my mom’s house. Hopefully still in good condition.

I’ve recently finished reading the series again on Kindle and hate the fact that I’ve given that rear end in a top hat any of my money.

My dad had the old 1980s boxed set in, um, the 1980s, but they must have gotten lost sometime because we just did a complete library audit when he was moving from our old house into his new condo and they weren't anywhere to be found.

:cry: