Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

MarcusSA posted:

what the hell is up with that helmet?

I see you're admiring my pompadour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Question: are the YEAH!s mandatory on a parody of Friday? Lazy singers want to know...

edit: ok I did some but my hand slipped and kazoo got in...

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 14, 2018

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

ewe2 posted:

Question: are the YEAH!s mandatory on a parody of Friday? Lazy singers want to know...

I don't think you can parody Friday.

Turban styles in the future are weird.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Sarsapariller posted:

Fire your loving UI team, Jesus.

The last time they tried that the Senior Design Lead went home in tears and Chris got a very angry call from his mom.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
I liked how Chris remarked upon the absence of NPC ship traffic as evidence of its existence since it was so "systemic" and unscripted that they just didn't happen to see any.

But then Chris seemed puzzled by the absence and asked Todd if they'd disabled AI ships so maybe they had to deceive Chris a bit to get this totally real and organic gameplay out the door.

When you consider the fact that they couldn't even manage to have static NPCs sitting or standing on the trains let alone getting on or off it all makes a lot of sense.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Chin posted:

I liked how Chris remarked upon the absence of NPC ship traffic as evidence of its existence since it was so "systemic" and unscripted that they just didn't happen to see any.

But then Chris seemed puzzled by the absence and asked Todd if they'd disabled AI ships so maybe they had to deceive Chris a bit to get this totally real and organic gameplay out the door.

When you consider the fact that they couldn't even manage to have static NPCs sitting or standing on the trains let alone getting on or off it all makes a lot of sense.

There's only 2 types of NPC's in 3.3 as far as I can tell- the random "Station wildlife" that just kind of idles around and plays a couple animations, usually jogging in place, and the enemy pirates that you can go and shoot at Security Station Kareah.

Though I do recall on a couple of occasions seeing friendly ships pop out of nowhere while flying to/from places. I just assumed they were players, but honestly there's no way to tell given how bad all the UI elements are.

But it's still pretty likely that people just lie to Chris and he buys it because he hasn't touched the game in years.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Random :thunk: post of the day:

How to limit quantity? make ships more expensive! makes perfect sense.

Raising the prices give people the most equal opportunity.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Blue On Blue posted:

Let me pre-face the below with the following... I do not blame these people in any way shape or form for selling a product and taking advantage of idiotic nerds.

The only reason I am showing this email exchange is to further the evidence that CIG is wasting money left right and center, money that SHOULD be used towards paying their developers and furthering the production of the video game.

I decided to touch the poop a little bit, and contacted the company that does the custom fabrication jobs for CIG.

JR Fabrication was kind enough to respond to me, and didn't even show any signs of disgust when I mentioned my full motion life sized anime figurines (one can only assume they've already been contacted by Clifford AKA Miku for other fabrication work)

My queries were to see just how much something like the dragonfly might cost, and I was not at all prepared for that dollar amount. That's half of one of their employees salaries for the year, spent on a wooden model that will be thrown into a storage locker (Ben's old office) the day after the con is closed.

Unfortunately I didn't get a dollar amount for the Kraken, but the wording is such that if they're more than happy to make another $50,000 Dragonfly for me, the Kraken is simply too much work and probably north of $100,000 in labor and production time

Suffice to say the Kraken and the Dragonfly and whatever else they had made for the Con from these guys, probably wiped out whatever ticket sales alone, forgetting even the rental of the place

I dunno why I care, I really don't, but the year after year wasting of money just bugs the hell out of me, then you get the great blithering idiot Chris sitting on his little chariot and I just turn into some ... sort of.... angry little... cat. :pgabz:

:eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop:

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

what the hell is up with that helmet?

fidelity

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
failetity

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I wonder if that $50K Dragonfly prop (dollar amount doesn't surprise me) would support Lesnick.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

I don't think you can parody Friday.

Turban styles in the future are weird.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

colonelwest posted:

Scully was my first crush as a kid.

:hfive:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

BluesShaman posted:

Breeding brachycephaly in dogs and cats is bad.

:hfive:

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.
Say, TheAgent said something a lot of pages back that has risen up in my brain and disturbed me: that CIG/RSI/M.O.U.S.E. has a bunch of VC and investor money right now.

I can sort of understand the sort of specimens we see on Reddit sticking this project out to the bitter end, even throwing new money at it, in the hopes that that sweet sweet second life in space will replace this inadequate one.

But Venture Capitalists? And Investors? Throwing money at Star Citizen, as things are now, and believing that they will get it back? WTF??

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Venture capitalists/investors are not entirely sane people.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Beet Goblin posted:

Honestly Star Citizen has been delayed to the point that I don't think it's ever going to catch up in terms of visuals. The worry was always that they were going to fall into the Duke Nukem Forever trap, and it kinda seems like they have, at least for faces.

The only thing that backers have claimed for years is the graphics of Star Citizen is whats going to make it a revolutionary game being played for years, because it sure as gently caress won't be the game play that will keep them hooked. Looking back over the 25+ years of gaming, apart from Doom and maybe Quake, I cannot think of a single game where the games that are considered defining of the period/year/genre had the best graphics for the time.

The graphics vs. game play discussions of old, SC shills live in the FMV game days.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

stingtwo posted:

the FMV game days.

I drunkenly bought the re-release of Night Trap a few months ago and had a blast :colbert:

It was like 1993 all over again, all I needed was a pile of metallica and slayer cassettes and some copies of White Dwarf for the effect to be complete.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Sarsapariller posted:

That's why I consider this more of an autopsy than a gameplay report.

I'm enjoying the knife work. Some of your earlier rant reports and jank delves were part of what got me into SA in the first place
o8

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

benzine posted:

Just watched the Citcon youtube, what a boring mission. Welcome to commute simulator and lovely platforming, to think it only costed 200,000,000.

Love how one of the biggest cheers came when they caught a train in the nick of time...

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Pixelate posted:

Love how one of the biggest cheers came when they caught a train in the nick of time...

Listen carefully when Sandi asks the crowd about playing the game with the new flight model. That made my night.

BeigeJacket posted:

I drunkenly bought the re-release of Night Trap a few months ago and had a blast :colbert:

It was like 1993 all over again, all I needed was a pile of metallica and slayer cassettes and some copies of White Dwarf for the effect to be complete.
My dumbass not getting enough sleep, should not have included days, just FMV games themselves, also night trap was probably one of the "better" FMV titles.

stingtwo fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Oct 14, 2018

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Venture capitalists/investors are not entirely sane people.

“I have a magic blood test box”, dies under vc money.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Let's rub. Quote this if you want to.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

We need the hard hitting pixel lemonades take on citcon!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Viscous Soda posted:

Man, using Removeddit, that /r/games thread is a bloodbath. Currently about a fifth of the comments have been removed by mods.

:reddit: posted:

What do you want? CIG to only sell the game engine to EA so they can make a new starwars mmo or something?

Well, except for the part where CIG sells them the engine, yeah kind of.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
[removed too quickly to be archived]

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Current haul of Citizen's Conned : $ 1,105,202.00

:rip:
Agony Aunt 800k
Ponzi $1 million.
SolusLunes No but seriously I'm gonna go with $800k. I'm rooting for failure

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Glad to see how somehow I'm still in the game.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

no_recall posted:

Current haul of Citizen's Conned : $ 1,105,202.00

:rip:
Agony Aunt 800k
Ponzi $1 million.
SolusLunes No but seriously I'm gonna go with $800k. I'm rooting for failure

That stupid aircraft spaceship carrier goes on sale later this month I think.

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017

Colostomy Bag posted:

Let's rub. Quote this if you want to.

Citcon
Aug 31, 2018

by R. Guyovich

Sarsapariller posted:

More 3.3 notes:

* The rest stops seem to just not exist. I flew to two different ones, only to find nothing there. Had to kill myself both times.

* Basically I think Hurston might be fake, or unreachable. There seems to be no way to fly there directly.

* Arena Commander has a new front end interface. It also appears to hang and crash and have buttons that don't do anything. Fire your loving UI team, Jesus.

* Couldn't get a MP game going so I did a single player match. Honestly the ship combat was fine. Feels like it hasn't changed appreciably since 2016. No observable glitches, and the flight and damage models felt... pretty okay? But the default Hornet only has two guns and time to kill was through the roof. The vanduul ships took literally 15-20 seconds of sustained fire to die, and usually just lost wings and pieces which didn't seem to stop them zipping around. The ships (including your own) are so fast that usually I'd turn towards a guy, snap off half a second of shots and then end up exploding because we rammed each other. It might be one of those things that you overcome as you become a better pilot, but really the weapon range and travel speed felt slower than the movement speed of the ships. As with every other aspect of the game, buying a better ship will probably vastly improve the experience.

* Missiles were working, which was nice. No clue if it's just the game mode or if they'll work in the PTU.

* After that I couldn't get back into the PTU. Seemed like a general problem, lots of people on spectrum complaining about it. Eventually we discovered that if you clicked the button and then waited for 2-3 minutes with no feedback, it would progress to the next screen. Fire your UI team.

* The new R&R station (I finally found it) is nice enough- it's just another generic Star Citizen station, landing pads and shopping mall, but this time with colored lighting. Also it's covered in giant "REPLACE ME" balls because they literally aren't even finishing assets before kicking them out anymore.

I'm buying back in

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Loads more missing stations. Here's just a few examples:

Some other buggy bits and pieces:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I’m skeptical that a long term investor would buy into CIG, but CIG as a business actually isn’t terrible. Once they cut their costs they’re literally taking in cash without having to deliver much of anything and will probably continue doing so for a few years.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Store Citizer: Had to kill myself both times, which is nice

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

The train thing has been done before. In Star Wars Galaxies (of all things) before they put in space flight there was an interplanetary shuttle you had to take if you were going to a different planet. And it really did come only every 5 or 10 minutes or something. Because it was a Ralph Koster design from that generation of MMOs the idea was it would force you to socialize and make friends so you’d play the game longer. (Like the boat in EQ etc etc)

to give SWG its credit, they were also present in player cities and you could build them in sufficiently large ones, where they'd then organically become part of the galactic network and you could take them to all the local and galactic shuttleports. this had the effect of equalizing player settlements and NPC cities in a super real way because often player cities had better, cheaper services and were very convenient so they'd become populated pit stops and genuine social hubs, the model really did work. just like they managed to make player-run cantinas vibrant places that always had tons of players around

and that isn't even getting into how honestly elegant the implementation of jump to lightspeed was. you could fly your ships from planet to planet in real time and bypass the shuttles entirely, there were tons of ships, a fully realized supply chain for producing individualized bespoke ships and mass produced garbage, and the ship interiors were fully customizable just like player houses so any of the hundreds of thousands of 3d items that existed in the game could be positioned in them along a 3d axis that let you rotate them around and move them anywhere in the open space. so you could have decorated ships with furniture, weapons, a stuffed rancor, and a bartending robot and poo poo that could have multiple people aboard in space

SWG before the big updates accomplished almost everything CIG fantasizes about, including poo poo like variegated cooking and infinitely customizable ships/weapons/outfits/avatars. for all its problems I still think it is the best model for doing a contemporary sandbox style space game, like if they just remade it with a modern engine and smoothed out the punishing old-fashioned exp gain system but kept the job variety they would make all the money SC is supposed to make on release

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Hav posted:

(merged in the seal, wimple-bro)

(thanks wimple-bro - took me a while before I came across your work above)

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Welcome to another edition of Dude, Where's My Face, the long-awaited Friday for citizens :v:

Crunchday

Featuring:
* Lyrics
* Parps
* Suspicious Led Zeppelin callbacks
* Dodgy Ice-T rapping
* bonus guitar noodling

:pgabz:

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.

ewe2 posted:

Welcome to another edition of Dude, Where's My Face, the long-awaited Friday for citizens :v:

Crunchday

Featuring:
* Lyrics
* Parps
* Suspicious Led Zeppelin callbacks
* Dodgy Ice-T rapping
* bonus guitar noodling

:pgabz:

:five: :five: :five: :five: :five:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

What's a 5 min wait when you've got a 3 hour spaceflight ahead of you.

Citizens again years late to the discussion.