Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the ocean just demonstrated that actually it owns that city now

eminent domain as practiced by a rising tide :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Imagine going through all that then thinking "praise Jesus" at the end and not "Hail Poseidon!"

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Victory Position posted:

eminent domain as practiced by a rising tide :unsmigghh:

What Poseidon wants, Poseidon gets.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Moridin920 posted:

Imagine going through all that then thinking "praise Jesus" at the end and not "Hail Poseidon!"

We're going to win so much,

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Bring on the antifacanes

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thoguh posted:

I don't give a poo poo if somebody's family can afford a vacation home unless it's in the Hamptons or something. Having an argument about how poor you have to be to be able to be to post is stupid and we all should be able to have dachas.
Our societies have the resources available to give everyone a home of their own, and in fact there exists a surplus of homes such that some people have multiple homes; moreover, there exist several times more empty homes on the market than there exist homeless people. Rather than give everyone a home, our societies choose to empower a privileged few to hoard multiple homes and to extract rents from the masses. And this hurricane will only make things worse, as those same privileged few buy up the now-empty lots of the dwindling demographic of working class homeowners.

quote:

God owned the chuds with this hurricane and that's what matters.
OK.

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Addamere posted:

Our societies have the resources available to give everyone a home of their own, and in fact there exists a surplus of homes such that some people have multiple homes; moreover, there exist several times more empty homes on the market than there exist homeless people. Rather than give everyone a home, our societies choose to empower a privileged few to hoard multiple homes and to extract rents from the masses. And this hurricane will only make things worse, as those same privileged few buy up the now-empty lots of the dwindling demographic of working class homeowners.

OK.

a lot of those beach houses aren't places where people live, they're vacation homes, and the owners renting them out is in fact what makes it even possible for working class people like me, who can't afford to buy an entire second goddamn house, to enjoy the occasional week at a beach house

it should also be noted that even working class people USED TO be able to buy lake houses and summer cottages, and usually had someone in the extended family who had one

calling for the guillotining of everyone with modest former middle class wealth is as misguided as calling for the guillotining of all doctors

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

zegermans posted:

uh did there used to be houses on all those bare foundations?

All those piles of poo poo had to have been somewhere before

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1050878800760836096

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

this is just from the outlying areas that weren't hit as hard, apparently they haven't even been counting mexico beach or panama city yet

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Ayin posted:

I'm gonna get rained on :toot:
I got rained on, AND my grandpa-in-law moved the generator so it didn't gas us. :toot:

apparently the eye was only like 40 miles from us at its closest point, but the damage around us isn't, um, catastrophic. (Dothan, AL)

also I have both power and internet like 40 hours after the storm passed, pretty crazy

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/SaveFLWatersNow/status/1051092631697203200?s=19

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Did we ever get an update on how wet this storm was from the standpoint of water?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

nice, new real estate to sell

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
hurricane trump

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Addamere posted:

Did we ever get an update on how wet this storm was from the standpoint of water?

About the same level, I'm guessing.

Water's funny like that.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Addamere posted:

one of the wettest we've ever seen

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Did anyone luck out and get a free boat?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

RandomPauI posted:

yeah and just in time too since their house was turned into splinters

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

RandomPauI posted:

I guess it depends, a few of those houses seem able to relocate so they could be considered to briefly be boats

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/1051104838690443264?s=19

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

hmmmm something about this seems familiar

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Feranon posted:

hmmmm something about this seems familiar

I bet they haven't checked the morgues yet.

And technically there weren't a whole lot of "missing" people in PR, The family knew where they were. 6 feet under or decomposing in the center of forensic sciences, its just that the government decided to not classify them as killed by the storm because they died from lack dialysis or something and not because a tree fell on them.

Cao Ni Ma has issued a correction as of 16:36 on Oct 14, 2018

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

whelp.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
So we just disbanded FEMA then?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So we just disbanded FEMA then?

we didn't so much disband fema as redistributed all of their funds to whitefish montana

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Al! posted:

we didn't so much disband fema as redistributed all of their funds to whitefish montana

also to ice

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
https://twitter.com/glendon_31/status/1051179675681214465
https://twitter.com/glendon_31/status/1051181398743310336

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:thunk:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming" - Glenford ML King

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

Al! posted:

"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming" - Glenford ML King

I for one hope he's right

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
whoopsie

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/florida/articles/2018-10-14/florida-panhandle-building-codes-lagged-behind-rest-of-state

quote:

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — It was once argued that the trees would help save Florida's Panhandle from the fury of a hurricane, as the acres of forests in the region would provide a natural barrier to savage winds that accompany the deadly storms.

It's part of the reason that tighter building codes — mandatory in places such as South Florida — were not put in place for most of this region until just 11 years ago.

And it may be a painful lesson for area residents now that Hurricane Michael has ravaged the region, leaving sustained damage from the coast inland all the way to the Georgia border.

"We're learning painfully that we shouldn't be doing those kinds of exemptions," said Don Brown, a former legislator from the Panhandle who now sits on the Florida Building Commission. "We are vulnerable as any other part of the state. There was this whole notion that the trees were going to help us, take the wind out of the storm. Those trees become projectiles and flying objects."

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Time to socialize some losses!

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

i hear the same poo poo here in the midwest about how them woods and hills will save ma trailer from the tornaders

ppl are dumb but i'm not a social darwinist, they don't deserve to die for it

they deserve to live and grow in a society that encourages critical thinking and scientific literacy, and that doesn't actively break the weather more and more with each passing year

funny how every single problem seems to come back to "eat the rich"

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Feranon posted:

i hear the same poo poo here in the midwest about how them woods and hills will save ma trailer from the tornaders

ppl are dumb but i'm not a social darwinist, they don't deserve to die for it

they deserve to live and grow in a society that encourages critical thinking and scientific literacy, and that doesn't actively break the weather more and more with each passing year

funny how every single problem seems to come back to "eat the rich"

the thing is that trees are great for helping mitigate weather poo poo, live snow fences are a thing that are pretty effective.

problem is is that its talking about normal weather, which a category 4 hurricane aint.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Addamere posted:

Time to socialize some losses!

and privatize the profits from all the new houses we get to build just as lovely as the ones that were instantly wiped out!

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Florida is on a fault line, so don't think too hard about it sweetie. You don't notice it because its stratas of sand absorb most quakes before they are felt on the surface.

The fact that you're a dumbass with twitter tells me something is not going on between your ears.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

yeah most of the city lost power from falling trees, again, and a bunch of roads are blocked from fallen trees, again. they'll probably figure it out eventually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Tyndall is where the USAF trains F-22 pilots so :rip:

That's pretty much a whole squadron

https://twitter.com/nktpnd/status/1051607249209253888