Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Come to Texas Mr Nice. William and I work in the same building. I've been here 4 years and I just got a corner office overlooking UT.

Come to California, we pay more, have a better pension, and are also hiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Don’t come to Pennsylvania.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Nice piece of fish posted:

Here you go, here are some high steaks.

In their natural form. That right there is over half a metric ton of good quality meat.

Not bad for a couple of days work.

Hey do you have anything like a roadkill list? We have a system up here where you register a four person team with the State Troopers, and any time a moose gets murdered in the roadways the dispatchers best start calling people until some redneck shows up to claim a free moose. I'm on my brothers team. We've gotten a solid half dozen moose from the list. You just need be able to show up with a trailer within an hour to get it off the highway, otherwise they go to the next team on the list.

It's great, but very hick.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Come to Iowa, hang a shingle, and get on the court appointed list. You can not be worse than some other lawyers on there.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
All of those sound great, but I need the job first in order to move. I wish I had the funds available to just pack up and move my hunt elsewhere.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Move to cali. Live with nm. Ride bikes.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

BigHead posted:

Hey do you have anything like a roadkill list? We have a system up here where you register a four person team with the State Troopers, and any time a moose gets murdered in the roadways the dispatchers best start calling people until some redneck shows up to claim a free moose. I'm on my brothers team. We've gotten a solid half dozen moose from the list. You just need be able to show up with a trailer within an hour to get it off the highway, otherwise they go to the next team on the list.

It's great, but very hick.

I think that's the purview of the local wildlife authority, they get all the cadavers and I don't think any get doled out like that.

Anyway, not to sound arrogant but the hunting them part is kind of a major part of the whole thing. Don't know if I'd feel as good about if I got handed road meat. I know, it is good that the animal doesn't go to waste though so I completely support your system there.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
You should bow hunt those meese

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

mastershakeman posted:

You should bow hunt those meese

Very illegal. All bow hunting is. It's 6,5 and above.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
That'd be a very good way to get fatally trampled for most people. It'd be kind of like bow hunting a small truck

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mr. Nice! posted:

All of those sound great, but I need the job first in order to move. I wish I had the funds available to just pack up and move my hunt elsewhere.

Pass the bar and we don't care where you live as long as you're willing to move here (probably Sacramento, which is less exciting than the bay or LA, but also marginally affordable still and isn't like Fresno or Bakersfield.).
The whole pass the bar is the annoying part about job hunting across state lines.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
why did you make a new thread

also: since I applied ten years ago lol, it looks like law schools have started taking the GRE. Curious if there's any advantage in that inasmuch as, if it's not used in the rankings, a wider range of scores might be acceptable all else held equal.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

nm posted:

Pass the bar and we don't care where you live as long as you're willing to move here (probably Sacramento, which is less exciting than the bay or LA, but also marginally affordable still and isn't like Fresno or Bakersfield.).
The whole pass the bar is the annoying part about job hunting across state lines.

It'd be difficult / impossible for a Canadian to do right

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

terrorist ambulance posted:

Last I checked, as a foreign lawyer you can't pass most states' bars without having an X number of hours in an ABA-accredited law school
It might be different for Canada because Canada isn't strictly continental civil code-based law, but that's the general idea

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I know canadian lawyers who are called in NY state (for no reason that I can tell other than having the ornate bar admission thing framed on the wall) so it must be possible in some places

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
also, since I haven't posed in any of these threads in like 5 years,

Toona the Cat posted:

Jesus Christ that was crushing. :suicide:

sorry dude

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

nm posted:

That requires thousands of dollars in and of itself in bar application fees and study materials. I have full faith I could pass any bar with studying and preparation, but it's just a chunk of money I don't have to spend on it. I didn't pay my florida fees personally, and probably would have been SoL if I had to pay for it out of pocket.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Has anyone done reciprocity admission? I’m 10 years in and I wonder just how little actual practice experience could get me admitted in another state.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Has anyone done reciprocity admission? I’m 10 years in and I wonder just how little actual practice experience could get me admitted in another state.

10 years is enough to be admitted in any district that allows admission by motion. Each one has specific rules on how actively you need to practice, but you should be fine to move. Fees vary and not all states offer reciprocity to all others.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Lol I’m not going to move unless my wife sells her business which won’t happen. I just wonder if it’s possible to get admitted on reciprocity based on nothing but holding a law license for 10 years. My guess is no unless you have character references that will lie for you.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Mr. Nice! posted:

10 years is enough to be admitted in any district that allows admission by motion. Each one has specific rules on how actively you need to practice, but you should be fine to move. Fees vary and not all states offer reciprocity to all others.

Most states are waive in after 3-5 years. I'm aware of only California and Delaware for state's that don't. In California, 4 years exempts you from the multiple choice, you still have to do essay day. Delaware doesn't have reciprocity.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Most states are waive in after 3-5 years. I'm aware of only California and Delaware for state's that don't. In California, 4 years exempts you from the multiple choice, you still have to do essay day. Delaware doesn't have reciprocity.

Florida also does not offer reciprocity, and as a result some states that do allow people in by motion do not allow people from Florida. Florida has one of the hardest exams.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I'm Canadian.

I'm also a US Citizen though

State won't help you with the visa, but if you have a visa, we'll hire you.

edit: Canadian law school, I dunno. California is much more permissive with who we allow to take the bar, you don't even have to go to a law school, you can just study the law with a lawyer or judge or something.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Most states in the southeast let you in if your state lets them in. South Carolina, weirdly, is a no reciprocity state. Sucks, cause doc review retirement in Charleston would be p cool.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I find it adorable that your states act independent and to that end try to decide on petty poo poo like reciprocal recognition that is inconsequential in the big picture

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Alexeythegreat posted:

I find it adorable that your states act independent and to that end try to decide on petty poo poo like reciprocal recognition that is inconsequential in the big picture

Our state courts are 100% independent and each state has it's own set of mirrored laws with different nuances that cause massive differences in outcome.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

Our state courts are 100% independent and each state has it's own set of mirrored laws with different nuances that cause massive differences in outcome.

I know, I mean the states themselves doing petty poo poo like deciding admissions based on loving reciprocity of all things

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Tennessee lets graduates of non-U.S. law schools take the bar exam.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

That'd be a very good way to get fatally trampled for most people. It'd be kind of like bow hunting a small truck

New York (and presumably other states too) allows holders of a 1 year LLM to take the bar. That's how most foreign lawyers get barred in the US.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Mr. Nice! posted:

Florida also does not offer reciprocity, and as a result some states that do allow people in by motion do not allow people from Florida. Florida has one of the hardest exams.

Yeah, of every state I was interested in moving to after Georgia (California, Florida, Louisiana), loving none of them had reciprocity.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ulmont posted:

Yeah, of every state I was interested in moving to after Georgia (California, Florida, Louisiana), loving none of them had reciprocity.

In the case of two of those its cause people want to live there. Louisiana is it’s own special little butterfly.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Mr. Nice! posted:

In the case of two of those its cause people want to live there. Louisiana is it’s own special little butterfly.

Which conveniently schedules its 3-day bar across Monday Wednesday Friday.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
Florida had to limit reciprocity because every partner from the north east and midwest retiring there wanted to set up their own residual income shingle and it made it so young lawyers couldn't get work.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
The great state of Louisiana don't need no outside agitators coming in, trying to unsettle things.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
You can’t fully grasp the intricate and subtle complexity of the napoleonic code unless, like me, you never study it in law school and cram it during bar prep. Even 10 years of practice in another jurisdiction, where you apply similar but differently-worded arcane principles to reach almost identical results, won’t adequately prepare you.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I'd go for some Napoleon, not gonna lie

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Bar application filed, and I paid for bar prep. G-d have mercy on my soul.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Charleston's legal market is absolutely saturated, there's too much development corruption and too many old easy marks in the area.

Besides, the legal system is also notoriously corrupt/incompetent. SC's the state where they keep having to do bar exam rollbacks.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Pook Good Mook posted:

brains the size of a deer's but have evolved to avoid predators by just being loving massive
ive asked you before not to dox me

Nice piece of fish posted:

You can be my partner :wink:

sweet, gonna get me the scandahoovian equivalent of a green card and lay claim to half your cabin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Soothing Vapors posted:

gonna get me the scandahoovian equivalent of a green card

It's almost certainly called a "white card."