Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I thought we already won that war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Yeah but you guys keep forgetting to win the peace so new wars arise all the time sadly.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

What the hell gave you that idea

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Toplowtech posted:

Yeah but you guys keep forgetting to win the peace so new wars arise all the time sadly.

Yeah, I'm sure the military industrial complex "forgot" that little detail.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

DynamicSloth posted:

Yeah, I'm sure the military industrial complex "forgot" that little detail.
Nah i am sure it's #1 on their list to of things to always fuckup to ensure future profit.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://mobile.twitter.com/AlArabiya_Eng/status/1051446715432218624

Let them buddy up with Russia and Iran. It's where they belong, with all the other shithead tyrants.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also, I don't know if you can really call the Afgan War an actual victory all things considered. We declared victory, largely went home and then everything fell to poo poo as the Taliban went on the offensive.

The Iraq War could probably be called a tactical victory and a strategic defeat.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Oct 14, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Volkerball posted:

Let them buddy up with Russia and Iran. It's where they belong, with all the other shithead tyrants.

They seem to have a delusional sense of their own importance in the world to an impressive degree!

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

PT6A posted:

They seem to have a delusional sense of their own importance in the world to an impressive degree!

He's right in that the US halting all arms sales to KSA would only be hurting the US, since US defense companies would be missing out on tens of billions of dollars per year. However the types of sanctions Trump would probably impose would be against specific individuals. I'm sure senior members of the royal family would be very upset if they couldn't travel to the US for medical care.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
It's funny because it's an accurate description of things right now

https://politics.theonion.com/trump-administration-urges-saudis-to-stick-to-killing-r-1829713565

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

PT6A posted:

They do, because the usa has been allowing them to get away with a whole lot of poo poo lately (i mean apart from pouring billions in to train and fund terrorists and jihadi militias which they've been doing with american support for decades).

They kidnapped the prime minister of lebanon with zero repercussions lol.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

qkkl posted:

He's right in that the US halting all arms sales to KSA would only be hurting the US, since US defense companies would be missing out on tens of billions of dollars per year. However the types of sanctions Trump would probably impose would be against specific individuals. I'm sure senior members of the royal family would be very upset if they couldn't travel to the US for medical care.

So you don't think the KSA benefits from purchasing american arms? That their actions might be treated with dramatically increased scrutiny and pressure if they did not continue to share intelligence with the USA and continue to do business with American companies?

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 14, 2018

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Kawasaki Nun posted:

So you don't think the KSA benefits from purchasing american arms? That their actions might be treated with dramatically increased scrutiny and pressure if they did not continue to share intelligence with the USA and continue to do business with American companies?

It clearly doesn't considering that they spend more than Russia on defense yet are still forced to resort to a genocidal blockade in the hopes of starving the Houthis to surrender, and they can't even do that without the US holding their hand every step of the way.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Would a democratic house with a republican senate and Trump in office have any ability to halt arms sales? Also couldn’t arms sales continue but a discontinued diplomatic and military support for their war in Yemen work? They might cancel their arms sales as a repercussion, but it wouldn’t be the US cancelling. Not sure how these contracts work but generally these are contracts and they have provisions for what happens when they are broken.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Volkerball posted:

This poo poo would be the fastest way to get regime changed be given copious amounts of freedom and democracy.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I bet they would be welcomed with open arms by the anti-imperialist shitposters club, even though it would have to be disheartening to lose the go to case for what aboutism.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://mobile.twitter.com/BazziNYU/status/1051553723468718080

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Kawasaki Nun posted:

How well do you think Saudi Arabia would be doing in Yemen without American help? How would SA be doing in Yemen even if Russia or China took the USAs place to the same extent? Riyadh getting missiles successfully dropped on it repeatedly would be an immediate repercussion as neither the Chinese or Russians would have anything like the ability to put in a place a naval blockade as well as the US navy and the anti-missile tech would be worse. SA needs the USA orders of magnitude more than the other way round if they want to continue foreign adventurism.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Everything they use is US ordinance, and they still can't use the drat things on anything but women and children.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Flayer posted:

How well do you think Saudi Arabia would be doing in Yemen without American help? How would SA be doing in Yemen even if Russia or China took the USAs place to the same extent? Riyadh getting missiles successfully dropped on it repeatedly would be an immediate repercussion as neither the Chinese or Russians would have anything like the ability to put in a place a naval blockade as well as the US navy and the anti-missile tech would be worse. SA needs the USA orders of magnitude more than the other way round if they want to continue foreign adventurism.

If the US stops militarily supporting KSA it won't be Russia or China filling in the gap. It will be Israel.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

qkkl posted:

If the US stops militarily supporting KSA it won't be Russia or China filling in the gap. It will be Israel.

Good one!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Why wouldn't two Nazis play together?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

qkkl posted:

Even if that were to happen Israel is completely incapable of being a naval power outside of the eastern Mediterranean. Iranian weapons would be flowing in to the Houthis completely unchecked.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah as others have said, I don't see the Saudis not being able to win Yemen (or anything else) as indication that American aid isn't helping them, I see it as them being so hilariously incompetent that even with all the sci-fi poo poo and the backing of the world hegemon they can't really manage more than warcriming a bunch of kids so if they lost that edge they'd some how gently caress it up even more.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Yemen is also a naturally poor place to invade. Any country, including the US, would have a hard time of it.

Not disagreeing that the Saudi military is real lovely though, despite their amazing hardware.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The US will reflexively back Al Qaeda whenever a secular reformist leader emerges in the Middle East.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

rip albert saqr

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
According to Al Jazeera the rebels in Idlib haven't left the buffer zone even though the deadline has passed already. I'm guessing the regime and Russia will probably be invading soon.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/10/deadline-passes-syria-idlib-buffer-fighters-leaving-181015004653045.html

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Somewhere Trump got a half-chub and doesn't know why

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Throatwarbler posted:

The US will reflexively back Al Qaeda whenever a secular reformist leader emerges in the Middle East.

You'll reflexively back any dictator responsible for half a million deaths if the people he's killing aren't ashamed of being Muslim so even if this were true it's not like you'd have the moral high ground.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Throatwarbler posted:

I know you probably just mean this in a rhetorical sense that isn't meant to stand up to hard scrutiny, but I do struggle a bit to understand how this perspective squares with history.

In Iraq the United States heavily backs the Shia led government, part secular part Shia extremist in the war against al Qaeda and IS. In Tunisia The US and other states have offered relatively generous financial support to the government of the moderately secular Nidaa Tounes party. If the Tunisian President Mohamed Essebsi isn't an emerging secular reformist leader I'm not sure what you have in mind. The US of course directly replaced an al Qaeda supporting Sunni extremist government in Afghanistan with a secular government back in 2002, so this kind of claim obviously can't relate to recent history in Afghanistan.

The US has also if not out right supported, at least declined to oppose the secular Egyptian counter-revolution of Abdel Sissi. Perhaps he is not a reformist, but nevertheless. Saleh and Hadi in Yemen couldn't be described as emerging leaders, but were certainly secular and heavily backed financially by the United States for supporting the American campaign against al Qaeda, before their overthrow. Notably the Houthi, while not al Qaeda, are extremely anti-secularist and proponents of Iranian style Islamic revolution.

Again, I can't say I really believe you think the US secretly supports al Qaeda since that makes no kind of sense from any perspective, even if the Gulf and Saudi's do kinda, US behavior clearly contradicts this narrative. We do kinda support Islamists in Libya and our assistance in Yemen indirectly benefits al Qaeda, while in Syria various Islamist factions benefited both from what US aid did make it to the rebels and from the support of other actors tolerated by the US, when American drones weren't dropping bombs on their heads that is.

As far as I can tell this sort of rhetoric is simply used to make the case that all US interventions in the region have been bad, and there should not be anymore. I think you could make this argument using a more solid base of evidence, and that if you did you would come across as more honest.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Volkerball posted:

You'll reflexively back any dictator responsible for half a million deaths if the people he's killing aren't ashamed of being Muslim so even if this were true it's not like you'd have the moral high ground.

Don't you still support the American intervention in Iraq?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

On further reflection I'd say there's a simple reply to my argument that the US has not consistently/reflexively supported al Qaeda or even more moderate Islamists in the modern Middle East. That is while the US has not generally INTENTIONALLY supported Sunni radicals throughout the region, through negligence carelessness it has accidentally fostered and spread them throughout the region via reckless policy and refusal to sanction Saudi Arabia and the Gulf. This is more-or-less an argument I have made several times, with Yemen, Libya and Somalia representing clear examples. Though how good an argument it is probably depends on how far you take it.

A Typical Goon posted:

Don't you still support the American intervention in Iraq?

This is an odd non sequitur, and I don't think it's relevant to whether the United States reflexively supports al Qaeda against emerging secular Middle East leaders.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV2zU1TLBMo

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I'm currently living in the UAE and I honestly think they have a lot to lose by siding with Saudi in this (although they 100% will, I think), the crazy number of expats that would leave with a change in alliances is too high for society and economy to just keep going like it is. Too much money tied up in different investments to suddenly decide the west is not interesting anymore.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The Saudis make the Russians look like stone cold professionals

https://twitter.com/borzou/status/1051796571766120449

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The Saudi just don't give a gently caress.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

Nah they're also dumb. No reason to get in last minute cleaners if they don't care about appearances.

e: I wonder how the Turks will act. Will a few officers stroll around the consulate? Or will a forensic team go in and do a detailed search for traces of blood?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Cat Mattress posted:

That lack of fucks is financially and militarily backed by a rotting pus mango and several other interests that actually matter I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Trump spoke to the Saudi king, who obviously denied any knowledge.

Trump was freestyling after that and though maybe it was "rogue killers" who did it. Which to me sounds like they're getting ready to throw some officer under the bus for this, as someone upthread suggested.