Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moleman
Apr 26, 2003

Now the time has come to gather our forces and run.

Twelve year old me's favorite character is back, baby!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Now that Cable has been replaced by Teen Cable it's only fair for Nate to become old.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

moleman posted:

Twelve year old me's favorite character is back, baby!

Same, but ten. I remember him temporarily replacing Nightcrawler as my go to choice on the playground.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

The most unrealistic part of Shattybuns #1 is the idea that a highschool would perform Titus Andronicus but on the other hand the art actually did a really good job of showing the progress of the play so I! I'm not even mad about it.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

rantmo posted:

The most unrealistic part of Shattybuns #1 is the idea that a highschool would perform Titus Andronicus but on the other hand the art actually did a really good job of showing the progress of the play so I! I'm not even mad about it.

I really liked that book overall. I actually especially liked how he and Julio's relationship was presented-- in a way that didn't seem like it needed highlighting for the sake of being queer, but also didn't obscure that that's what it was. It was all very normalized, for lack of a better phrasing.

That said, I hope nobody ever calls Shatterstar "Ben" again, because that is the silliest loving thing.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 10, 2018

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
So how are the X-Mans now? Last news I heard was that Jean let go of the Phoenix... now I hear stuff that old Cable is dead/replaced? Are the comics good now?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Schneider Heim posted:

So how are the X-Mans now? Last news I heard was that Jean let go of the Phoenix... now I hear stuff that old Cable is dead/replaced? Are the comics good now?

X-men red is amazing

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Schneider Heim posted:

Read anything with Laura and Gabby, skip the rest.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Domino is also good, although only tangentially X-related.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
X-Men Black: Mojo seems great.

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1050109472520228864

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It's actually a great issue that features Mojo (of all people) learning a lesson about acceptance and love and reversing his original position. So it's a pretty optimistic slam.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
X-Men Black: Magneto was okay. Nothing great. However, I really enjoyed the Mojo issue. It was written very well.

I might be in the minority here, but I absolutely love the Apocalypse back-up stories. I look forward to them most of all. Probably because I love the character.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Mr. and Mrs. X is also a great book so far.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Can someone remind me what happened to the Coukoos to bring them down to 3? It's been forever since I read Morrissons run, all I remember is one of them was banging Quire and/or Magneto-Zorn.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

twistedmentat posted:

Can someone remind me what happened to the Coukoos to bring them down to 3? It's been forever since I read Morrissons run, all I remember is one of them was banging Quire and/or Magneto-Zorn.

Sophie died using Kick to amplify her powers. Esme was killed by the fake Xorn who was posing as Magneto.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

One died during Quire's school riot by using Kick to fight him.

Magneto (Xorn) killed another one that was working for him as a spy.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

You mean Xorn (who was fake and was actually Magneto (who was not Magneto and was actually not even Xorn, but Fake Xorn, a separate and distinct Xorn)).

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

pubic works project posted:

Sophie died using Kick to amplify her powers. Esme was killed by the fake Xorn who was posing as Magneto.

But now we know that Sophie was actually killed my Esme, or did I read the most recent x-23 issue wrong?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Esme killed Sophie in this x-23 series. This was a few issues back. Sophie's second death.

remember when they were brought back as horrible clones?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh! i thought she was talking about the previous death, not the one within X-23, that's why I was confused. Okay that makes sense. I hope we see them again. I really liked them in Bendis's xmen where they were becoming more individuals. Despite the horrible treatment, I feel like Gabby would forgive them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Esme actually did kill the original Sophie, I think? She pushed her while in their hive mind to over exert herself or something.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

twistedmentat posted:

But now we know that Sophie was actually killed my Esme, or did I read the most recent x-23 issue wrong?

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's what the new issue implies, that her death in New X-Men was orchestrated by Esme somehow. Anyone know off the top of their head if that was actually implied in the original story or just created for this new one? I really hate the last parts of NXM (I don't think that's an unpopular opinion either).

The X-Books that feature Gabby are so much better than the ones that don't. It's blowing my mind that a child character is being written consistently well across two whole books. To be fair, I'm really falling behind in both Gold and Blue, partly because I'm not really enjoying them and partly because they're too frequent.

e: oh, and I love your avatar, twistedmentat.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It was. It's right on the Cuckoos Wikipedia page too, "Esme manipulated her sister Sophie into also using the drug Kick in order to overexert her telepathic powers to the point of death."

I don't know when exactly but I'm sure it was in New X-Men.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I believe that was in "Riot at Xavier's".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's when Sophie dies but I think the Esme reveal probably comes when she throws in with Magneto (Xorn.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Esme has a bit of an exposition speech at the end of "Murder at the Mansion" when she paralyses Bishop and Sage telepathically as she leaves; maybe it's there? Been some time since I read New X-Men, admittedly. There's a lot of parts in the run where Morrison reveals the truth behind earlier events but a lot of the time I think you need to be paying attention to catch them.

(e.g. The implication of Ernst being Cassandra Nova reborn, which I believe Whedon may have ignored for Astonishing.)

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Wheat Loaf posted:

(e.g. The implication of Ernst being Cassandra Nova reborn, which I believe Whedon may have ignored for Astonishing. everyone ignored)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Esme has a bit of an exposition speech at the end of "Murder at the Mansion" when she paralyses Bishop and Sage telepathically as she leaves; maybe it's there? Been some time since I read New X-Men, admittedly. There's a lot of parts in the run where Morrison reveals the truth behind earlier events but a lot of the time I think you need to be paying attention to catch them.

(e.g. The implication of Ernst being Cassandra Nova reborn, which I believe Whedon may have ignored for Astonishing.)

Oh that's right, I forgot Esme leaves for a bit instead of staying around as a mole.

Either way, it's all revealed in Morrison's stuff so it's not a new detail.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Diet Poison posted:

I came out of Death of Stalin and said "I need Jason Issacs as Zhukov as an Avatar now" to myself.

And yea, Gabby is a amazing character and its so great that she has been written strongly by everyone so far. I can't help but think if Bendis was still at Marvel he would have hosed it up though. I'm wondering how long until she gets her own series.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone recommend the early 00s series of Gambit by Nicieza and Yanick Paquette where he gets an arch-enemy called New Son?

I was thinking recently about how much I liked Nicieza's other stuff from around that time, but that's one I've never given a shot.

Potentially controversial opinion: I've never really cared for Gambit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Diet Poison posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's what the new issue implies, that her death in New X-Men was orchestrated by Esme somehow. Anyone know off the top of their head if that was actually implied in the original story or just created for this new one? I really hate the last parts of NXM (I don't think that's an unpopular opinion either).

The X-Books that feature Gabby are so much better than the ones that don't. It's blowing my mind that a child character is being written consistently well across two whole books. To be fair, I'm really falling behind in both Gold and Blue, partly because I'm not really enjoying them and partly because they're too frequent.

They're both being written by Tom Taylor, aren't they?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Does anyone recommend the early 00s series of Gambit by Nicieza and Yanick Paquette where he gets an arch-enemy called New Son?

I was thinking recently about how much I liked Nicieza's other stuff from around that time, but that's one I've never given a shot.

Cartoon Gambit was a major reason I liked the cartoon, Comic Gambit never made any sort of impression on me whatsoever. An interesting switch, as the cartoon really put me off of a lot of characters I ended up liking a lot more in comic form.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I really like it, but I'm a huge Gambit fan FYI. It has Nicieza's characteristic dense plotting, but I like the interludes that progress the subplots and break it up. The volumes has an adventurous feel to it that plays up Remy's strengths, and also has some nice little continuity flourishes if you're familiar with big X-events of the time. The tone can go from dark to light smoothly as it plays with comedy villains, scary villains, and some out there concepts, like New Son so it's certainly more than just T'ieves Guild nonsense, though they do come into play.

It's only 25 issues (the final issue is by Lobdell btw, wrapping things up), and features some interesting characters and has strong art for the era. I wouldn't mind seeing some of the characters make an appearance in Mr & Mrs X: Courier and Fontanelle would be particularly interesting for Rogue to meet.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Skwirl posted:

They're both being written by Tom Taylor, aren't they?

X-23 is Mariko Tomaki, although she's building very deliberately off of much of Taylor's infrastructure.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I just caught up on ANW and X-23 and I was a little worried about the writer change, but the first arc was pretty fantastic.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
https://www.xplainthexmen.com/2018/10/219-brutal-hearts/

The X-Plain the X-Men special about Emma Frost with Leah Williams and Seanan McGuire is so good. The Emma discussion is amazing and passionate, but my standout moment is @ 1:04:17 "The PTSD Lesbians: Illyana Rasputin, Rachel Grey and Laura Kinney." which is just perfection.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm still sort of angry that I started listening to Jay & Miles as my first podcast, and then I find out that basically zero other comics podcasts follow a similar format with anywhere near the same quality. I tried to do something similar, but finding a decent partner and a decent run that hasn't been done to death already is pretty hard, so it never got off the ground.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

rkajdi posted:

I'm still sort of angry that I started listening to Jay & Miles as my first podcast, and then I find out that basically zero other comics podcasts follow a similar format with anywhere near the same quality. I tried to do something similar, but finding a decent partner and a decent run that hasn't been done to death already is pretty hard, so it never got off the ground.

The closest I can think of that's done issue-by-issue reviews of comics is the Fantasticast, which has been going on for about five years now and I think has just finished covering Stan Lee's run on the book. I admittedly have not listened to it in some time and I'd have to go some distance back in time to figure out where I left off with them.

(I'm pretty sure I'd reached a point where they were talking about the just-announced Fant4stic movie which hadn't been cast yet.)

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wheat Loaf posted:

The closest I can think of that's done issue-by-issue reviews of comics is the Fantasticast, which has been going on for about five years now and I think has just finished covering Stan Lee's run on the book. I admittedly have not listened to it in some time and I'd have to go some distance back in time to figure out where I left off with them.

(I'm pretty sure I'd reached a point where they were talking about the just-announced Fant4stic movie which hadn't been cast yet.)

I tried it, but I don’t really have any love for the 60s Stan Lee stuff like a lot of younger people do. Plus only 1 to 2 issues at a time instead of a whole arc or logical part of one makes everything drag. Titan Up the Defense has that problem doubled since they cover two alternating series. The thing that saves that show is how entertaining the hosts and source material is. 60s anything isn’t that great.

I tried to do something like Jay & Miles with the Peter David Hulk, but that died after my other host didn’t have time to record. That run is also interesting in that I remember it being good, but couldn’t even get four issues in before I hit an awful racist caricature character. It would sort of be an interesting read after that, especially once you get to lovely Trans Sabal crossover and the Jon Pollard apologia in the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

X-Men Red is too good for this stupid world, really strong issue this week.