Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

Hey let's have the dude relive experiences that by rights should have killed him dozens of times over and had him begging for death for our amusement. gently caress off.

What if we like, took him to a shooting range to help him calm down first?

relevant :

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I seem to remember discussion a few months ago that a certain term for citizens of Best Korea is off the table but can that be specified in the rules, I could see that one tripping up some first-time callers

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

It's contextual, I keep an eye on who's regular and who's popping in. If something isn't cool I'll say something. The whole point is I don't want to codify a list of slurs, or even go through the exercise of thinking and writing them down. It's gross.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

shame on an IGA posted:

I seem to remember discussion a few months ago that a certain term for citizens of Best Korea is off the table but can that be specified in the rules, I could see that one tripping up some first-time callers

Norks?

I don't see how that's a slur, it's just a abbreviation for 'North Koreans'

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

It's not always about the definition of a word, it's how it is used. If "Norks" is mostly used as a pejorative, then it is a slur.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

BigDave posted:

Norks?

I don't see how that's a slur, it's just a abbreviation for 'North Koreans'

"Jap" is a slur for Japanese and that's about as basic of an abbreviation as you can get. Not exactly the worst slur in the world but I don't think I'd wanna get caught saying it.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 15, 2018

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Chinks is just an abbreviation for Chinese ...ks

Definitely nothing to read into.

Dont use Nork anymore. Even among the wonks of 38 north and ACW it’s fallen out of common use because it’s a lovely slur entirely due to its history of usage

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

EBB posted:

It's not always about the definition of a word, it's how it is used. If "Norks" is mostly used as a pejorative, then it is a slur.

Fair enough.

Can we still call Republicans shitheads and gently caress faces?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

BigDave posted:

Fair enough.

Can we still call Republicans shitheads and gently caress faces?

Being a Republican is not an inherent attribute, these people actively chose to be terrible.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Grandmother starts complaining about democrats running candidates who "don't know anything about politics." I pointed out to her that she voted for someone entirely because he was a "washington outsider" and I could visibly see her brain lock up trying to process a comeback.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
lol you gave your grandma a stroke

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

EBB posted:

Being a Republican is not an inherent attribute, these people actively chose to be terrible.

You could say the same about religion, though.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

psydude posted:

One could argue that people who grow up in a religion don’t chose their religion. Kind of like people don’t chose their first language or their culture.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

FrozenVent posted:

One could argue that people who grow up in a religion don’t chose their religion. Kind of like people don’t chose their first language or their culture.

You could make the same argument about people who grow up in bigoted families or cultures. Free will is a lie, embrace the meteor.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Chichevache posted:

Free will is a lie, embrace the meteor boil.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
https://www.stripes.com/news/us/trump-unsure-whether-mattis-will-leave-says-he-is-sort-of-a-democrat-1.551895

Stars and Stripes posted:

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump said he is unsure whether Defense Secretary Jim Mattis will leave the administration and described him as "sort of a Democrat," amid reports of friction between the two.

Trump made the remarks in an interview with CBS News' "60 Minutes" that airs Sunday night. An excerpt of the interview was released Sunday morning.

"Well, I don't know; he hasn't told me that," Trump said when asked whether Mattis might be leaving his position.

Trump said that he has a "very good relationship" with Mattis and that the two had lunch together "two days ago," but the president added that "it could be that he is" leaving.

"I think he's sort of a Democrat, if you want to know the truth," Trump said. "But General Mattis is a good guy. We get along very well. He may leave. I mean, at some point, everybody leaves. Everybody. People leave. That's Washington."

Mattis has often publicly walked back some of Trump's more controversial statements on foreign policy, and the two have a strained relationship, veteran journalist Bob Woodward has reported in his book "Fear."

In one episode reported by Woodward, Mattis described Trump as having the understanding of "a fifth- or sixth-grader" after a National Security Council meeting. In another episode, after Trump said he wanted to have Syrian President Bashar al-Assad assassinated, Mattis reportedly agreed but later told an aide, "We're not going to do any of that."

Mattis has denied making disparaging comments about Trump, and the president said last month that the retired general was "doing a fantastic job."

In the "60 minutes" interview, Trump also described reports of chaos within his administration as "so false," dismissing concerns about the rate of turnover among his top officials.

"I'm changing things around, and I'm entitled to. I have people now on standby that will be phenomenal. They'll come into the administration. They'll be phenomenal," Trump said.

He said that while he was satisfied with the performance of certain members of his administration, there are others "that I'm not thrilled with."

"Yeah, other people will go, sure," Trump said.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Donnie on mocking Dr. Ford: "It doesn't matter, we won"

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

psydude posted:

psydude about two minutes from now

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Do we want to start a discussion of the pros and cons of state atheism?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

EBB posted:

psydude about two minutes from now

My point is maybe you should make that banned words list because people will rationalize poo poo in stupid ways.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

My point is maybe you should make that banned words list because people will rationalize poo poo in stupid ways.

I guess EBB could write up a giant list and hope some edge-lord doesn’t find a way to sneak through the cracks with some little known slur.

Or maybe just gently caress someone up when they get cute using a slur seems easier?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

I guess EBB could write up a giant list and hope some edge-lord doesn’t find a way to sneak through the cracks with some little known slur.

Or maybe just gently caress someone up when they get cute using a slur seems easier?

Probably. But it does seem like half of the posts in the current events thread are discussing what we're allowed to discuss in the current events thread.

Maybe a mixture of the two so that way someone doesn't eat a ban for not knowing "Norks" isn't allowed?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The topic restrictions are all gone just don't use the N word you're all giving me gray hair over something very simple :cripes:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

Probably. But it does seem like half of the posts in the current events thread are discussing what we're allowed to discuss in the current events thread.

If someone is super invested in a slur and can’t find a way around it, lmao at worrying about however they’ll stop calling someone a “Jap” in 2018.

It’s super easy to not use racial and ethnic slurs. But people pretend it’s hard for reasons.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The topic restrictions are gone I just want you guys to not use the N word why are you giving me such problems over this :cripes:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

How about we leave the definition of a slur to the people with buttons and move on?

If EBB wants to ban you for using a slur he can do so. You don’t like it go to QCS. If you’re wondering if the word will get you in trouble don’t use it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

EBB posted:

Do we want to start a discussion of the pros and cons of state atheism?

There are cons?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

EBB posted:

The topic restrictions are gone I just want you guys to not use the N word why are you giving me such problems over this :cripes:

Besides third world Reagan, who used the n word?

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
Stop asking for a list.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

EBB posted:

Because you're really harshing the buzz of like 4 persistent shitposters.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Sarah posted:

Stop asking for a list.

I’d like to make a list of reasons you’re better than your predecessor, can I do that?

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

FrozenVent posted:

I’d like to make a list of reasons you’re better than your predecessor, can I do that?

Of course. :allears:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Have a random rotation of forbidden words, give Sixers when used, learn from context / chaos.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

That Works posted:

Have a random rotation of forbidden words, give Sixers when used, learn from context / chaos.

Stochastic gradient descent for modding. I like it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chichevache posted:

Besides third world Reagan, who used the n word?

I doubt anyone is going to probe you for having a dumb misogynist username that stems from Chaucer, if that’s why you’re so concerned.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Make a thread, have posters post the words they have questions about, if they don't get probated or banned it's ok.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Flikken posted:

Make a thread, have posters post the words they have questions about, if they don't get probated or banned it's ok.

itll degenerate to extremely extremely obscure slurs

it'll be the vanguard of a revival of more and more obscure and previously-dead slurs, just like how 4chan completely revived "cuck"

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

mlmp08 posted:

I doubt anyone is going to probe you for having a dumb misogynist username that stems from Chaucer, if that’s why you’re so concerned.

Irony is dead.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

bob dobbs is dead posted:

itll degenerate to extremely extremely obscure slurs

it'll be the vanguard of a revival of more and more obscure and previously-dead slurs, just like how 4chan completely revived "cuck"

This was not a serious suggestion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

psydude posted:

Stochastic gradient descent for modding. I like it.

I learned a new term today!

• Locked thread