Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

caberham posted:

Motherfucker, I’m sitting on this plane on my way to Hong Kong and this small town girl in front of me is making small talk with this old old dude next to her.

IM JUST GOING TO PHILIPPINES FOR 3 WEEKS.

Ugh. Why do I have poo poo luck and why is this flight full. It was empty on its way to SFO

Why do you care? Put some headphones in or don't listen. This whole post confuses me. You seem to be angry that people are having a conversation with each other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Also, are Are Trip.com, OneTrip, Kiwi, as reliable as Expedia for booking flights?

Book directly with the airline if you can, that way if something goes wrong they can sort it out for you. If you book with Expedia etc and something goes wrong, they’ll tell you to talk to the airline and the airline will tell you to talk to Expedia and nothing will ever get resolved.

Also Kiwi are renowned for booking “connecting” flights on two separate tickets, meaning you have to collect and recheck luggage (and they’ll happily book you on a connection you won’t make, whereas an airline won’t let you - or will be aware of the issue in advance).

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Also trip.com is owned by Ctrip which is a Chinese company and people say China collects all their data or some poo poo so you may or may not like that but tbh they’re gonna get your data anyway.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

webmeister posted:

Book directly with the airline if you can, that way if something goes wrong they can sort it out for you. If you book with Expedia etc and something goes wrong, they’ll tell you to talk to the airline and the airline will tell you to talk to Expedia and nothing will ever get resolved.

Also Kiwi are renowned for booking “connecting” flights on two separate tickets, meaning you have to collect and recheck luggage (and they’ll happily book you on a connection you won’t make, whereas an airline won’t let you - or will be aware of the issue in advance).

The thing is that booking directly through the airline costs $248 instead of $105 when using Trip.com. FWIW, this is just to go from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap and back. Though I need to make my flight to Tokyo. I would get back from Siem Reap at 7:00pm and my flight for Tokyo leaves at 10:50pm. I know that would give me enough time, but I'm not sure how likely it is for my flight to be that heavily delayed.

LimburgLimbo posted:

Also trip.com is owned by Ctrip which is a Chinese company and people say China collects all their data or some poo poo so you may or may not like that but tbh they’re gonna get your data anyway.

This is unfortunately my outlook.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Ah, okay, interesting - there's no way trip.com has a special deal on those routes, so must be something else up.

There will only be a couple of airlines that run between REP and PNH, probably those tiny local carriers. I'm almost certain Air Asia and Bangkok Airways don't fly between the two destinations and no international carrier is going to stop at both. While LCC data can be gotten, it's usually not syndicated by the LCCs (similar to Southwest in the US) - and forget it with the tiny local carriers. What I would usually say is, in places like Southeast Asia avoid aggregator sites for flights for the most part. Go direct to a couple of local carriers or regional LCCs instead and you'll get a much better picture.

My guess was Cambodia Angkor Air flew that route since it's their flag carrier (government officials in SEA love to fly for free on flag carriers, so they make a lot of non-economical flights). When I went to check, feels about right on price:

https://www.cambodiaangkorair.com/

A good way to reverse engineer this stuff quickly in new parts of the world is to just check arrivals or departures depending on what you need, but you'll find a number of cases where the same airline flies under two different names for silly non-codeshare reasons (e.g. Siem Reap Airways is Bangkok Airways, Cambodia Airlines is Cambodia Angkor Air, etc). In those cases it's the same ticket and plane and price either way, usually (but not always lol).

EDIT: And, of course, Asian companies are just weird about online credit card transactions still in many, many, many cases - and it's always worse in the even smaller economies like Cambodia or Laos or Myanmar - so even if everything's right they can bounce you from time to time, meaning you might end up having to buy through an aggregator anyway. Welcome to the Greater Mekong Subregion, still under construction!

EDIT EDIT: I just noticed their logic puts those overnight in Saigon routes on there. That's an almost Delta level of routing hilarity, though nothing will ever be as lunatic as Delta.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 14, 2018

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Wow, thanks. Just booked my flight. I'm worried I may have messed up entering my name since I think it asked for my Middle Name first and then had it put my First Name after it.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 14, 2018

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Hah, yeah, don't worry about it. One of my Thai credit cards is coded internally so that my middle name is my last name. Quite often in these areas they aren't any more sure how to deal with our names than we are with theirs, so when someone programs a form they just take their best guess and suddenly you're your middle name, heh. It's sort of like watching American companies try to deal with addressing in the rest of the world. God forbid you live in an SAR and have to use an American online service.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Thanks. Man I'm excited! I have everything booked/paid for! :D

Just a quick question, what should I use to get around Cambodia? Cabs? Bike? Walk?

Also, what is the best way to get from the airport to my hotel?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I used motorcycle taxis to get around Cambo for the most part. Busses for trips between cities. Guys loitering around on their bike with a ballcap on can be hired by the trip or for longer. They don't speak much English but you'll figure it out, its fine. In Phnom Phen they are even fairly honest about the prices (which I'm sure have gone up since I was there -- a quick trip was between 50 cents and 2 dollars depending on distance), not that I really get bent out of shape about getting hustled out of 20 cents if they go that route instead.

I rented a bicycle to look around Angkor but I was there in April (hottest month) and wished I had rented a mototaxi guy instead (they drive you to a temple and wait outside bullshitting with eachother until you come out to go to the next one, most will agree to do this for the day at a certain price, many will happily let you book them for several days and be waiting outside your hotel in the morning for you). It was however nice to be able to cruise around the city a little though, I'm not really a highlights kind of guy I just go somewhere and start looking around to see whats there, so even when I was in Siem Reap I did some of that.

My mototaxi guy for the killing fields (Phnom Penh) did his best to also be a tour guide despite having been in a wreck the day before, having a horrible limp, and speaking no English. He improved the overall Touel Sleng experience by pantomiming torture methods employed near the sites they were employed at and was very friendly. At the killing fields at the end of day he told me to head on back to the parking lot if I was ready and I pretty much was but he hanged back a little to rip a piss into one of the former mass graves before limping along to catch up.

raton fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 15, 2018

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Biking around Angkor is a pro move but I did it in December when it was a lot more tolerable.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iPiGHK2V6o

raton fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 15, 2018

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

raton posted:

I used motorcycle taxis to get around Cambo for the most part. Busses for trips between cities. Guys loitering around on their bike with a ballcap on can be hired by the trip or for longer. They don't speak much English but you'll figure it out, its fine. In Phnom Phen they are even fairly honest about the prices (which I'm sure have gone up since I was there -- a quick trip was between 50 cents and 2 dollars depending on distance), not that I really get bent out of shape about getting hustled out of 20 cents if they go that route instead.

I rented a bicycle to look around Angkor but I was there in April (hottest month) and wished I had rented a mototaxi guy instead (they drive you to a temple and wait outside bullshitting with eachother until you come out to go to the next one, most will agree to do this for the day at a certain price, many will happily let you book them for several days and be waiting outside your hotel in the morning for you). It was however nice to be able to cruise around the city a little though, I'm not really a highlights kind of guy I just go somewhere and start looking around to see whats there, so even when I was in Siem Reap I did some of that.

My mototaxi guy for the killing fields (Phnom Penh) did his best to also be a tour guide despite having been in a wreck the day before, having a horrible limp, and speaking no English. He improved the overall Touel Sleng experience by pantomiming torture methods employed near the sites they were employed at and was very friendly. At the killing fields at the end of day he told me to head on back to the parking lot if I was ready and I pretty much was but he hanged back a little to rip a piss into one of the former mass graves before limping along to catch up.

Thanks for this.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
So Uber is gone from BKK? Replaced by Grab? Is that right? How is Grab? Anything I should know?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The commentary lol. It could not be more nonplussed.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

ReindeerF posted:

The commentary lol. It could not be more nonplussed.

The "meow" at the end killed me.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
mai pen rai khap

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

punk rebel ecks posted:

Just a quick question, what should I use to get around Cambodia? Cabs? Bike? Walk?

Install Passapp (or Grab) on your phone, especially if you're planning on picking up a SIM card here. Their tuk tuks are basically half the price of regular ones. Exploring Phnom Penh and Siem Reap on foot can be fun too, providing it's not hellishly hot or pouring with rain.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Also, what is the best way to get from the airport to my hotel?

Tuk tuks have a flat rate from PP airport now, I think it's $9 to anywhere in the city. Taxis are a few dollars more. Again, if you want to save a few bucks you can head out the front of the airport and order a Passapp.

Comedy answer: Take the new airport train.

Waltzing Along posted:

So Uber is gone from BKK? Replaced by Grab? Is that right? How is Grab? Anything I should know?

Grab replaced Uber in Cambodia, I assume it's the same in BKK. I use Passapp here because I prefer their app, but Grab's service works just as well, and they seem to offer random discounts at times.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Tytan posted:

Install Passapp (or Grab) on your phone, especially if you're planning on picking up a SIM card here. Their tuk tuks are basically half the price of regular ones. Exploring Phnom Penh and Siem Reap on foot can be fun too, providing it's not hellishly hot or pouring with rain.

Tuk tuks have a flat rate from PP airport now, I think it's $9 to anywhere in the city. Taxis are a few dollars more. Again, if you want to save a few bucks you can head out the front of the airport and order a Passapp.

Comedy answer: Take the new airport train.

Thank you.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

caberham posted:

Dude can’t even list any attractions or areas he wanted to go. Just offhandedly mentioned “beaches”. What’s up with these EAT PRAY LOVE types of garbage people.

Yeah gently caress that guy for not having a itinerary.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
When I travel I literally just roll into the first bar I see and hope for the best.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Atlas Hugged posted:

When I travel I literally just roll into the first bar I see and hope for the best.

When I went to Kanchanaburi I didn't know where the bars were so I followed younger people on their motorbikes around town for a while and then I found all the bars.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

raton posted:

When I went to Kanchanaburi I didn't know where the bars were so I followed younger people on their motorbikes around town for a while and then I found all the bars.

Southeast Asia: I Went to Thailand and Followed Young People Around

Gunstav
Nov 27, 2006
I've got a two day layover this weekend in Singapore on my way to Hanoi. I've been to Singapore and did all the tourist stuff four years ago, I'm just wondering if there's anything new I shouldn't miss this time. Only plan is to check out the Future World exhibit.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Gunstav posted:

I've got a two day layover this weekend in Singapore on my way to Hanoi. I've been to Singapore and did all the tourist stuff four years ago, I'm just wondering if there's anything new I shouldn't miss this time. Only plan is to check out the Future World exhibit.

I’m in Singapore this weekend too. My plan is to primarily eat myself to death in hawker centres (my Singapore fall-back), maybe pay way too much for some craft beers, check out the ArtScience exhibit on Feynman, and maybe check out the Future World teamLab exhibit again (I assume it’s much the same to what I saw in January and it was very cool then).

Otherwise I mainly just wander around, drink cold drinks and chill out.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Gunstav posted:

Eat

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Aeeeiiii... Rrruuurhh... Eeeuughaaaaajävla... Ffffeeeehh... Keeel mee!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Gunstav posted:

The Tiger Beer brewery tour was a fun time. Pain in the rear end to get to near the second link, though.

They give you 2-3 pints throughout the tour and then give you a 1-hour open bar at the end.

The Asian Civilizations Museum is also one of the best in the region, imo.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I think Thailand just ruined me for working in China. Everyone is so nice it's nearly causing me paranoia. Everyone needs to start obviously shittalking foreigners on the bus so I'm comfortable again.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You are going to be penniless

And die

https://www.farang-deaths.com/

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Got to soi cowboy

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

caberham posted:

You are going to be penniless

And die

https://www.farang-deaths.com/

I'm not seeing "eaten alive by a broken elevator" and "cement is expensive and grey rubbish is cheap and grey 差不多"???

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
"Fall from hotel balcony" is our Thailand version of "Backed over after being hit crossing street."

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I keep expecting to see someone I know on Farang Deaths (not someone in particular, just that eventually I'm going to be familiar with one of these assholes) and that's the day I'll stop reading.

It's me. I'm going to see me on Farang Deaths and then fade into mist.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Atlas Hugged posted:

I keep expecting to see someone I know on Farang Deaths (not someone in particular, just that eventually I'm going to be familiar with one of these assholes) and that's the day I'll stop reading.

It's me. I'm going to see me on Farang Deaths and then fade into mist.

Then you’ll wake up in the middle of the road and realize it’s years ago and you were struck by a car on your first day in Thailand and everything after that has been a near-death hallucination.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
i see drunk people

they're everywhere

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

"I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you can walk these streets of freedom bad mouthing lady America, in your damn mirrored su

Bardeh posted:

The weirdest thing about Chinese tourists is that I lived in Thailand for seven years. I saw Chinese tourists every day, almost everywhere I went. But I never once talked to one. It never, ever seemed like they wanted to engage whatsoever outside their group.

I was chilling with another goon in Japan a couple years ago and we were walking over to the Meiji shrine. A solo female Chinese tourist came up to us and asked for directions, then proceeded to walk with us and chat for 20 minutes or so. Had no idea outgoing solo female Chinese travelers existed.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
Lol

death of a 45-year-old Australian. He was found dead in his condominium

The smell of decay was almost unbearable.” There were also several empty Thai whisky bottles in the room, he added.

While investigating the case, a staff of the condominium said that Mr Arthur had been renting the room for almost a year. He reportedly spent most of his time alone in his room drinking and using his computer

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Minesweeper is a Hell of a drug.

Gunstav
Nov 27, 2006
What is the appeal of Chiang Mai? A lot of people say it's a must visit in Thailand, but most of the recommendations are temples and cooking classes... Am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
i haven't been but from what I understand:

Cooler weather
Chiller people
Pretty things to see outside the city

And it's the 2nd largest city in an amazing country.