Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Flikken posted:

Make a thread, have posters post the words they have questions about, if they don't get probated or banned it's ok.

Post a honeypot thread for people to post words they're curious about, then probate everyone who posts in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Sarah posted:

Of course. :allears:
Sarah:
  • Does not destroy generators
  • Does not massacre posters for no reasons
  • Lives in an area with real internet
  • Likes my dog

On the Two Finger side:

[*]Really good at BBQ.

Clearly EBB made the right decision.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
FYI putting a slur in quotation marks to discuss it is still using a slur, so knock it off.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Chichevache posted:

Irony is dead.

Not really, dude. It’s fine.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Godholio posted:

Post a honeypot thread for people to post words they're curious about, then probate everyone who posts in it.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ah there we go

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3871546

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Godholio posted:

probate everyone

Also it's cool and fine that Putin is assassinating people because they aren't being killed in America, says Russian foreign agent.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

FrozenVent posted:

I’d like to make a list of reasons you’re better than your predecessor, can I do that?

i would also like to read this list

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Can we as a group self moderate the drat vocabulary of the fuckos who use words we as a community don’t like? I mean ffs if anyone uses a slur we yell at them and report. If a fucko wants to try and be a rules lawyer then gently caress them they get double. gently caress it.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

i would also like to read this list

Sarah:

Not a former employee on a yacht of a (probable) Slavic Crime Lord.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Nystral posted:

Can we as a group self moderate the drat vocabulary of the fuckos who use words we as a community don’t like? I mean ffs if anyone uses a slur we yell at them and report. If a fucko wants to try and be a rules lawyer then gently caress them they get double. gently caress it.

We as a group naturally do the exact opposite of what any authority figure tells us to if we can possibly do so without punishment.

We as a group also naturally expect and accept sudden and overwhelming punishment for whatever violation the nobles feel occurred.

Socially you see self-moderation happen quite a bit, its how a lot of branches remain functional after all, but you best bet that as soon as a new line is drawn people will toe it and peak over until something happened.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

I learned a new term today!

SGD is just an optimization technique, what we're really after here is Markov Chain Modding

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

pmchem posted:

SGD is just an optimization technique, what we're really after here is Markov Chain Modding

no markov property, call it arima or arma modding

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
So, uh, speaking of current events: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/14/world/middleeast/us-saudi-arabia-khashoggi.html

The Saudi's (probably) had a journalist, Jamal Khashoggi, who was living in America, killed for dissenting against the new government led by Mohammed bin Salman, aka MBS.

Looks like he got clipped at the Saudi embassy in Istanbul, and Turkish military intel is saying they either flat out killed him, or it was a snatch job that went bad. Either way, US intel is backing them up. The House of Saud is still denying everything, but the Turks have video surveillance on the embassy showing Khashoggi going in, but never coming back out.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Nystral posted:

Sarah:

Not a former employee on a yacht of a (probable) Slavic Crime Lord.

Sarah: works in healthcare, helps people

Two fingers: works in shipping, helps capitalism

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Bold prediction - Saudi's face no consequences, US strangely silent after initial hullabaloo

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sarah posted:

Stop asking for a list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYkbqzWVHZI

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

Bold prediction - Saudi's face no consequences, US strangely silent after initial hullabaloo
They probably have something on Donnie so that wouldn't surprise me.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Casimir Radon posted:

They probably have something on Donnie so that wouldn't surprise me.

They’re propping up Jared’s boondoggle of a building.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
No, it's ORB.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Operation Rusty's Blanket?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I thought the reporter's iwatch was recording the whole time as well.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Their state newspaper was Poppin off at the mouth about how any sanctions would mean the Saudis would punish us.

Time for Desert Storm 3: Mecca Madness

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Their state newspaper was Poppin off at the mouth about how any sanctions would mean the Saudis would punish us.

Time for Desert Storm 3: Mecca Madness

I'm sure if we give them a slap on the wrist they'll punish us with oil related stuff. (Well, they'll also repossess Jared's building)

On the other hand if we were to magically go full North Korea level state sanctions the entire Saudi House of cards would collapse and heads would roll and on and on. So clearly i'm in favor of just jumping straight to full embargo and trade blockade with the 5th fleet.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I guess they're threatening to let Russia have a permanent base if we sanction them. I'm kind of guessing that the Russians are spread to thin for that to be much of a threat.

Please go ahead and repossess Jared's building. I want to see his worthless family freezing to death on the streets.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

M_Gargantua posted:

We as a group naturally do the exact opposite of what any authority figure tells us to if we can possibly do so without punishment.

We as a group also naturally expect and accept sudden and overwhelming punishment for whatever violation the nobles feel occurred.

Socially you see self-moderation happen quite a bit, its how a lot of branches remain functional after all, but you best bet that as soon as a new line is drawn people will toe it and peak over until something happened.

This is actually the best explanation of why a list is a stupid idea.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hremsfeld posted:

Also it's cool and fine that Putin is assassinating people because they aren't being killed in America, says Russian foreign agent.

Didn't the Russians throw some guy off of his balcony in DC and the police were like "Nah it was totally a suicide."

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I'm gonna be real, I only read this and the idiots thread and have no idea who Sarah is other then our new master

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Sarah works for the VA and has authority here. If Sarah were an ice cream flavor, she'd be pralines... And dick.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Well President Pissbaby has said he'll be very tough and very strong and very tough with Saudi Arabia if there is any evidence but he really doesn't want to because JOBS JOBS JOBS. Since, ya know, he's a real stickler for due process and waiting until we have all the facts before spouting whatever bullshit leaks through the brain mush he has left. So translating Trumpese to English, he's not going to do anything but he'll do it in a very tough and very strong way and also please ignore how many millions upon millions of dollars they're spending at my hotels for empty rooms and how deep up Kushner's rear end Saudi money is.

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

I thought the reporter's iwatch was recording the whole time as well.

An article came out earlier today stating the iWatch being a viable bug is unlikely due to his version not being compatible on Turkish cell networks (he owned the US version) and being too far from the paired iPhone to transmit anything of value. The article basically stated that it was way for the Turkish government to have a possible excuse for having a recording from inside of the Saudi Embassy, it's an even easier excuse if they claim Khashoggi volunteered to get recording software installed on his iWatch. If the 1950s to well current times are any indicator, the Turks probably lucked out the Saudis decided to whack Khashoggi in a room the Turks had a bug in. The problem that presents the Turks with is to actually release the evidence would expose their methods of collection and I can't think of a single time in history any government has admitted to bugging an embassy.

Moral of the story, if you're a lovely country who is willing to kill journalists because they are critical of you, do a bug sweep in the room you plan on killing the person in.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/13/middleeast/khashoggi-apple-watch-analysis-intl/index.html

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
https://twitter.com/ltgrusselhonore/status/1051670018541453312

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

psydude posted:

Didn't the Russians throw some guy off of his balcony in DC and the police were like "Nah it was totally a suicide."

Recently? I thought the recent instance of that happening (as well as quite a few others) was in London.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

psydude posted:

I thought it was a guy who drowned himself in a duffel bag.

All this doesn't matter unless it happened in the US stuff reminds me of self proclaimed terrorism expert Peter King. He got called out by the media for his tough talk on terrorism because he used to raise money for the IRA. His excuse was that they didn't kill Americans. Yes they did, and who cares what nationality murdered civilians are?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

I thought it was a guy who drowned himself in a duffel bag.

All this doesn't matter unless it happened in the US stuff reminds me of self proclaimed terrorism expert Peter King. He got called out by the media for his tough talk on terrorism because he used to raise money for the IRA. His excuse was that they didn't kill Americans. Yes they did, and who cares what nationality murdered civilians are?

You're right. Balcony guy was in London.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

To be fair, it seems his intent is that you can't rely on the federal government or anyone else to do everything (including file your insurance claims) so you should probably be involved. At least that's how I read it.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Speaking of Jared Kushner, The NY Times just had an article that like his father in law, he’s paid almost no federal income taxes in the last five years, despite a net worth well north of a 1/4 Billion.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/13/business/kushner-paying-taxes.amp.html

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Nothing will ever happen to him either

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Nothing will ever happen to him either

Yeah because it's all completely legal. Commercial real estate is basically subsidized by the government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1051622126438907904?s=19

• Locked thread