Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

corn in the bible posted:

I can't believe you'd say such things about New-Style Amy And Rory

New Wilf owns and New Amy is solid if underused, but New Rory sucks

every one of his lines is some variety of whiny bullshit just like Classic Rory, but without the classic model's charisma

also the Tardis apparently was hiding a weird salt lamp fetish

precision posted:

I really liked that episode quite a lot
same, this season has me hooked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah I mean I'm only a casual Who fan, hell before the big marathon they did I had only seen the "big hit" episodes of the reboot, but these 2 episodes were super good mostly because this cast is great, especially Jodie

Was great seeing the parole officer from Misfits again too

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Episode rocked. Could have been a bit tighter, but whatever - the characters are the star here.

Does anyone else kinda feel this is a very “back to basics” season so far? The intro is basically the ‘63 one updated to 2018, we have three companions, and I get the feeling the TARDIS might not completely cooperate this season. The Hartnell years with a female twist?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I was thinking much along the same lines, though I thought it felt a bit more like a later Seventh Doctor episode. But definitely the same sort of vibe overall.

I'm getting Baker vibes, honestly. I think Whittaker's the first new doc in a while where everyone sees "their doctor." They've done a better job capturing the joy of the old series in the last two eps than the entire Capaldi run imho.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Thought this was a good second ep. Strong visuals and a sense of a big overland journey, even if the plot ends up a bit compressed.

As for the TARDIS interior, I do like the overall crystal look, not sure about the lighting though.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I'm getting Baker vibes, honestly. I think Whittaker's the first new doc in a while where everyone sees "their doctor." They've done a better job capturing the joy of the old series in the last two eps than the entire Capaldi run imho.

I dunno if you meant C. Baker, but I definitely have gotten T. Baker vibes from Jodie's Doctor for sure. A lot of people have referenced Tennant but for my money she is practically channeling the Fourth Doctor in terms of "manic genius who enjoys pleasantly confusing people".

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'm curious as to why the aliens built the shooting range and bioweapons lab under a strip mall.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I dunno if you meant C. Baker, but I definitely have gotten T. Baker vibes from Jodie's Doctor for sure. A lot of people have referenced Tennant but for my money she is practically channeling the Fourth Doctor in terms of "manic genius who enjoys pleasantly confusing people".

Definitely T. Baker. I think Tennant was going for Tom as well, but Whittaker pulls it off way better. I wish I knew what the hell Capaldi was trying to do with the character, I feel like the show's been too much of a mess for his entire run for him to figure it out. Shame he didn't stay on with Chibnall, but obviously Whittaker and the whole new crew are fantastic. I hope Yaz gets more to do.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I thought Capaldi was obviously fusing the Two Bakers the whole way through.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I think he was pretty heavy on the Colin, not a whole lot of Tom, but I can see that.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Jodie points her sonic like she's been doing it all her life. She's got that stance on lock.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I think he was pretty heavy on the Colin, not a whole lot of Tom, but I can see that.

What Capaldi brought to the role is complicated, and I think a lot of people couldn't see it past his resting bitchface. Fundamentally, 12 is a busted-up dude, who in his first two seasons is deeply codependent and insecure - constantly trying to live up to his own standards and self-critical in extremis, especially compared to the cavalier attitudes of 10 and 11.

The Doctor Falls is all about that tension. 12 is, by now, more confident in his ability to be The Doctor - confident enough to try to (and succesfully, though he never gets to find out) turn Missy - but without believing his own hype at the same time. It is constant work to be a good person, but hard work and self-flagellation aren't the same thing. By the end, 12 knows that.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

It's pointing out that Graham would instantly recognize that kind of police box, as it would have been well known to someone of his age from the popular BBC show Dixon of Dock Green.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

Oh gently caress I love this new opening

No middle eight. :colbert:

BioEnchanted posted:

It's almost like a factory-reset Tardis.

CobiWann posted:

I smiled so hard at that moment.

That said, the theme, this episode, and the “new mystery of the Doctor” brought on by the evil towels made this feel a LOT like a McCoy episode. Like early McCoy - Paradise Towers mixed with Delta and the Bannermen.

That tent in the desert was straight outta The Greatest Show In The Galaxy.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Oh hey, that TARDIS has the round things! I love the round things! :v:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Astroman posted:

That tent in the desert was straight outta The Greatest Show In The Galaxy.

I was wondering if it was going there

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

did anyone catch this visual quote?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

DoctorWhat posted:

What Capaldi brought to the role is complicated, and I think a lot of people couldn't see it past his resting bitchface. Fundamentally, 12 is a busted-up dude, who in his first two seasons is deeply codependent and insecure - constantly trying to live up to his own standards and self-critical in extremis, especially compared to the cavalier attitudes of 10 and 11.

The Doctor Falls is all about that tension. 12 is, by now, more confident in his ability to be The Doctor - confident enough to try to (and succesfully, though he never gets to find out) turn Missy - but without believing his own hype at the same time. It is constant work to be a good person, but hard work and self-flagellation aren't the same thing. By the end, 12 knows that.

We're constantly told This Is The Dark Doctor but he's no more dark than Chris Eccleston was. Just being old isn't enough to make him morally ambiguous, nor is a hamfisted monologue where victorian lizard woman talks about veils

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

We're constantly told This Is The Dark Doctor

Told by who? Just because a character - Vastra, Clara, the Doctor himself - makes an assumption doesn't mean it's true, or stays true. This is a critical thing that Moffat, both at his best and at his worst, maintains in his plotting and characterization- no character is really an authority on themselves or anyone else, they all have biases and make assumptions and mistakes, and the viewer is meant to not take anything as stone fact.

Each of Capaldi's season finales illustrate his character precisely, as does the entirety of s10 very clearly, but s8 and s9 show it too. It's developed, it's rich, it's consistent.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Imo get rid of Ryan and Yaz and just give Graham more lines. Hes the only interesting one.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I don't think this episode was very good. Yaz has done nothing of note and they had a perfect situation to give her some stuff here yet didn't.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Yaz has done nothing of note and they had a perfect situation to give her some stuff here yet didn't.

It really brings me down, how much they mess around. They should really just move out.

DoctorWhat posted:

did anyone catch this visual quote?

I think you're right...I didn't line it up with this reference right away, but the shot seemed awfully familiar...

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Did the racer's ship look familiar to anyone else? Since seeing it in last week's trailer it's been stuck in my head because I swear that model has been used somewhere else before or one very similar to it.

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

Kammat posted:

Did the racer's ship look familiar to anyone else? Since seeing it in last week's trailer it's been stuck in my head because I swear that model has been used somewhere else before or one very similar to it.

It vaguely reminded me of the ships in the game No Man's Sky.

Sardikar
Sep 27, 2004
I cant think of anything to put here.

The ships looked like something out of the show Firefly

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Jerusalem posted:

Speaking of which, so that dude flew across 94 planets and nobody once snapped their fingers around him?

Well, since it was a race that heavily depended on barter and trade, with each contestant starting from nothing and having to trade their way up to spaceships and other resources to continue along the race, presumably the dude traded for the cigar at one of his last stops before heading for the final planet. As he makes clear it is very expensive after all, and in fact despite his character flaws it makes him making it there all the more impressive since he's basically racing with a massive cash sink handicap from buying the cigar in advance instead of with a small fraction of his crazy final winnings afterward. I like that it also gives a reason for why his ship was so lovely and barely managed a survivable crash landing, while hers was able to land just fine. She didn't waste a bunch of money on a cigar so she had a better ship.

Nice try at finding the one flaw in the episode though J-ru :smug:.

Seriously though who designs killer cloth that's beaten by a random space knife, and with the ability to mindread and talk about eating fear but not able to just psychically KO people or something. For scientists who ruined a planet they didn't really make particularly good weapons. Killer water was probably the most threatening thing I saw from them, honestly.

Though to take apart my own criticism, maybe scientists press-ganged and threatened into making death weapons they don't want to make leads to some sub-par results. If they somehow had a crazy Dalek scientist or other generally evil Doctor Who villain who enjoyed their work you'd probably end up with better weapons. Or maybe all the good weapons had been picked up by the bad guys already, presumably alongside killing those poor scientists, and all the Doctor managed to do was beat the stuff they couldn't be bothered to pick up.

I'm not going to get my "Doctor saves herself" or "season-long chase for the Tardis" and admittedly I can see the argument for both of those being really bad ideas, but now I hope the Doctor is up against Robots that can clearly actually aim and look kind of similar to the ones from this episode and weaponized cloth that just instantly wraps up people and needs some Doctor-fu beyond "cut it with a knife" to break out of. Let it do the same fear-seeking mind games too, why not, but with an even scarier voice! Anyway, that's my latest bad idea that I want to see come up.

Side note, apparently they like just missed one another with one coming in and picking up two people, then the other picking up the other two shortly after. It seemed like she picked them up first, which makes her come across as a bit more heartless if she only grabbed two while seeing four of them.

kant
May 12, 2003

HD DAD posted:

Episode rocked. Could have been a bit tighter, but whatever - the characters are the star here.

Does anyone else kinda feel this is a very “back to basics” season so far? The intro is basically the ‘63 one updated to 2018, we have three companions, and I get the feeling the TARDIS might not completely cooperate this season. The Hartnell years with a female twist?

It's like a reboot with a far more mature version of The Doctor. I thought both episodes have been pretty good but the tonal change has been hard for me to get used to. It reminds me a bit of shows I tend to get bored with. But I like what they're trying to do and Jodie has been great. So no real complaints from me yet.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It occurs to me that for the inevitable next attempt at adapting Hitchhiker's Guide, Jodie would be absolutely perfect as Ford Prefect.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I like that they are giving time to the characters. Everything on the boat existed only for the purpose of character development. I honestly can't remember the last time that happened on Doctor Who.

The action scenes though are still loving terrible. They can't direct them to save their lives. The scene of Ryan going out and fighting the robots onwards, all the way to 13 setting off the EMP is some real amateur hour poo poo.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
New Doctor is ok, but i'm sick of hearing Yorkshire accents.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Episode was fine I guess. The new Tardis is cooler when lit properly. Didn't give a poo poo about the aliens but Graham owns.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I dunno how anyone could not have liked the two main aliens. When they won it was very :3:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
This series really isn't doing it for me so far. Jodie is pretty good, Graham and Ryan are good and I'm sure Yaz would be if they gave her something to do. The music is great, and... that's about it.

The concept of enslaved scientists being forced to build superweapons isn't a bad one, but it isn't developed at all. And one of their superweapons are... robots with lasers? It's a good thing they poured R&D into that concept.

And Thirteen losing hope when Art Malik teleported the racers away made no sense. He said near the beginning that the TARDIS was phasing in and out of existence, and that it only appeared at certain times. I don't know why Thirteen was supposed to be surprised when that happened.

The show looks more expensive, but I don't know if I'd say it looks better. The direction and cinematography seems lacking when compared to the Moffat stuff (which to be fair is one of the unsung heroes of that era). It's shooting for Netflix/cable prestige drama but not sticking the landing. There's an early sequence with Thirteen and Yaz in the ship where it seems like they're going for a long extended take... but then it cuts. So the shot you have is both too long and not blocked properly enough so that it's distracting, and also too short to be impressive.

There's some kind of mysterious spark of cleverness that the show had under both RTD and Moffat that's no longer here. Which is weird, because it's a spark that was in everybody's episodes, including Chibnall's. The Doctor is still saying Doctorish stuff, there's still humor and cheer, but something's off about it. It's difficult to put into words, but I at least am really feeling its absence.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
On a rewatch the "my wife died because of them..." / "mine too!" exchange is really funny to me. It seems to have been delivered in the same way you'd mention a small coincidence, rather than a moment of shared, tangible grief. :v:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can't get my step dad to say anything bad about it. Just be critical dude.

It's not great TV by any stretch, but for him apparently Doctor Who and Star Trek are above criticism.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Kammat posted:

It reminded me of the eponymous Event Horizon, especially with the blocky front end.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I really enjoyed it. Felt a bit Tanith Lee.

I love that it's a case of Doctor Who tackling a genre that it doesn't really do (episodically at least). It's a road trip. You know, the kind of narrative that's made from smaller episodic encounters, or other incidents, that are used to develop characters and suggest their growing bond. The events of these encounters are essentially incidental. So the robots are as important as the ghost rags as important as the water as important as the spaceship crashing.

So perhaps if you look at it from that angle, it becomes something else. I dunno if that works for you.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

I enjoyed it an awful lot more than last week’s. Probably his best episode to date, but I still feel Chibnall is a backwards step from RTD and Moffat when they were firing on all cylinders.

It all felt a bit unfocused, like a mash-up of four or five different episode ideas. The idea of a space-based Paris/Dakar where contestants have to barter their way up from nothing is an episode itself. As is a contest across a hostile planet. As is the idea of a planet filled with the worst weapons in the universe, developed by a captive and coerced braintrust. As is water-based vashta nerada. As is SniperBots (maybe have them actually, you know, be snipers instead of just standing twenty feet away? You could have an entire bottle episode of the Doctor et al being pinned down by distant, unseen, never resting snipers - though it’s close to an episode I once daydreamed up - Midnight but it’s the Raston Warrior Robot outside).

I get that Chibnall is very excited to be given the keys to the kingdom and wants to cram as many ideas in as possible, but I wish he’d just slow down. It doesn’t make the show feel like an incredible imaginarium, it just feels like it needed a bit more of the editor’s pencil.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
I couldn't figure out why this season wasn't clicking with me until someone mentioned that the script is like an audio play. Just constant exposition and talking about everything that is happening in front of them. It slows everything down. The Doctor talks like a Saturday morning special, it's all tell and no show. It's just boring. I really want to like this. But I don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Rochallor posted:

There's some kind of mysterious spark of cleverness that the show had under both RTD and Moffat that's no longer here. Which is weird, because it's a spark that was in everybody's episodes, including Chibnall's. The Doctor is still saying Doctorish stuff, there's still humor and cheer, but something's off about it. It's difficult to put into words, but I at least am really feeling its absence.

This and the post directly above this one pretty much reflects how I feel about the new series so far.

I found both eps so far boring and disjointed. It's all pretty badly paced and awkwardly edited, and there's way too much exposition. Like in the first episode, the doctor is constantly doing the 'the question is...' thing, it slows everything right down and spoon feeds the mystery of the week in a kinda procedural way.