Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

OldMemes posted:

Bradley Walsh is great, the other two are kinda....there?

I imagine one of them will soon pull a Nyssa so we can get some character development in the others for an episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

OldMemes posted:

Bradley Walsh is great, the other two are kinda....there?

I can't believe you'd say such things about New-Style Amy And Rory

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I thought the pacing was a bit abrupt, seemed to have barely got going when it suddenly ended. Thought the same about a lot of Capaldi's second season.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I love New TARDIS season, Jodie Whittaker is killing it in the role, the show looks gorgeous.

Now for the Doctor to try and get everyone back to Heathrow their home.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Safeword posted:

Hey Doc, give everyone your do anything magic wand before lecturing the mortals on defending themselves with laser rifles. :mad:

"guns are bad, I hate guns, you shouldn't ever use guns"

~deonates bomb~

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

spog posted:

"guns are bad, I hate guns, you shouldn't ever use guns"

~deonates bomb~

In fairness, this has been a problem with the show for a very long time. The Doctor’s never really been one to shy away from violence.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Big Mean Jerk posted:

In fairness, this has been a problem with the show for a very long time. The Doctor’s never really been one to shy away from violence.

It's not like the bad guys in the show have ever failed to point out the hypocrisy of it.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Theres a lot of close ups in this season. A lot.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Buml0r posted:

I was so happy when they acknowledged police boxes. It feels like the whole revival so far, nobody's ever acknowledged that police boxes were a thing in real life.

I'm pretty sure it's come up before. There was even some dialogue in one of Moffat's RTD-era stories about how it couldn't be a genuine police box as the windows were the wrong size. I think it was when it was impounded by the police in Blink and the sexy police inspector was talking about it with Sally.

BioEnchanted posted:

I liked the scene just before the Tardis shows up when The Doctor is genuinely worried that she has actually failed, only for her companions to be all "Oh come off it, we're not giving up that easy!"

I really didn't like that scene. The Doctor explicitly stated earlier that the TARDIS must be locked in some kind of :techno: loop that was causing it to phase in and out in the same location. So when the holo-tent and the race winners disappear she should have been "It's OK, my ship should rematerialize soon". The companions should be the ones making GBS threads bricks. They're stranded on an alien weapons testing planet when they were in Yorkshire that morning, and two of them are deep in grief over the loss of a loved one.

That whole "only original new and cool monsters this season" thing is paying off though. Already we have:
  • a Predator
  • some robots shooting pew-pew laser guns
  • a cloth

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Gaz-L posted:

Here's the thing, there was leaked pictures of the TARDIS set in normal lighting and... um... it looks pretty bad when it's not being lit like in the episode, so I don't think it's gonna get much brighter.

Also, no arcs my arse, Chibnall. That's a set of arc words and a recurring OC menace already?

No arcs, just one continuous series-long story. :v:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I hope that, someday, they'll attain the same level of quality as Jon Pertwee era Dr Who. He's the best doctor ever and I love him, I'm watching Season 7 and it's amazing

He's literally just Alan Quatermass and he's the best

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 14, 2018

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

This ep really enjoyed people walking into focus from out of focus

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

"You've redecorated...."

*looks around*

"I really like it!"

:allears:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
The episode was decent overall. But it all felt quite rushed and the cool theme of a planet destroyed by the creations of those scientists was never really explored fully. Some extremely non-threatening robots and then creepy cloth monsters that became very un-creepy when they start monologuing like a mustache-twirling villain.

Bradley Walsh is great, Jodie Whittaker is pretty good, the other two companions are...I dunno really, they're running around too I guess? Yaz in particular had one line that I can remember and basically did nothing whatsoever. I get that, esoecially with three companions, it's gonna take time to get them introduced, but drat, give the actors something to work with.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

AndyElusive posted:

"You've redecorated...."

*looks around*

"I really like it!"

:allears:

I mean, she's kinda gotta say that, but really, the gloomy interior doesn't really suit her, at least as she's been acting so far. She's pretty much the upbeat happy Doctor thus far, this TARDIS fits more with the War Doctor or late era Seven, maaaaybe Eight or Lonely God Ten. Thirteen needs something a little more cheerful and brightly lit. :colbert:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Was it just me, or is the Tardis green?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

jng2058 posted:

I mean, she's kinda gotta say that, but really, the gloomy interior doesn't really suit her, at least as she's been acting so far. She's pretty much the upbeat happy Doctor thus far, this TARDIS fits more with the War Doctor or late era Seven, maaaaybe Eight or Lonely God Ten. Thirteen needs something a little more cheerful and brightly lit. :colbert:

I think that clearly she'll be tormented on the inside or something like that. Also making the set that way makes it very easy to do the "everyone looks at the tardis console" shot with moody lighting so that's the other reason

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Guys, it gave her a cracker to eat.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
That was a custard cream, you savage.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

This ep really enjoyed people walking into focus from out of focus

Or having just 2/3rds of their face on screen. Generally I liked it, but I’m echoing everyone else in that it didn’t quite hang together. Some parts felt too long, and others rushed.

Not crazy about the new console room, it does look super cramped and too dark. Also that they’ve gone back to the random spare parts of 9/10/11’s console makes me sad. But it does have nice art nouveau curves.

Weirdly, it makes me think of an old fashioned typewriter.

And I thought I was picking it up wrong, but there’s a small spinning crystal police box on the TARDIS console itself, which really bothers me in a way I can’t articulate. Like, it’s too knowing or something?

EDIT: as my boyfriend just pointed out to me:

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 15, 2018

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Elevator Screamer posted:

That whole "only original new and cool monsters this season" thing is paying off though. Already we have:
  • a Predator
  • some robots shooting pew-pew laser guns
  • a cloth

Made me lol.

Surprised nobody has drawn a comparison between yellow crystalline new sonic and yellow crystalline new tardis - the similarity seemed striking to me.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Just started watching the second episode on BBC America and loving what I'm seeing so far.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Maugrim posted:

Made me lol.

Surprised nobody has drawn a comparison between yellow crystalline new sonic and yellow crystalline new tardis - the similarity seemed striking to me.

This is literally just because the new art designer loves Crystals. Look at any of his past work - crystals everywhere.

He's also poo poo at picking fonts and the Tardis exterior is horrible.

Otherwise he's doing okay I guess.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Safeword posted:

Hey Doc, give everyone your do anything magic wand before lecturing the mortals on defending themselves with laser rifles. :mad:

I would have been more okay with it if she hadn't JUST got done saying that their enemies were automated robot guards.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

It really just looks like the Coral room and 11's first room had a night of really drunken, angry sex, then all of a sudden they woke up in the morning with the worst hangovers, and there was a baby in the corner, and both looked at each other and immediately said, "It's not mine."

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Venusian Aikido! :dance:

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

I can sort of justify the "no guns" thing as the Doctor knowing that guns in untrained hands don't really make things better, compounded when Ryan comes back and says he's made it worse.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

And I thought I was picking it up wrong, but there’s a small spinning crystal police box on the TARDIS console itself, which really bothers me in a way I can’t articulate. Like, it’s too knowing or something?

This detail isn't the best, but I think it would be redeemed if they show something different in a hypothetical episode where the Chameleon Circuit's briefly fixed.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I really really like this so far.

Love the theme.

Tardis doesn't look very cozy this time around.

Cigar Guy never needed anybody, but couldn't have learned that lesson alone.

Tim Shaw was grody, but before that he was the protagonist of Dead Space.

Very Star Wars chic in the second ep on the costuming.

Doctor looking kinda Morkish from Orkish, I like.

Everyone is very good.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Having the Doctor immediately despondent about having failed them all instead of saying “Well, I guess we have to wait until night to see if the TARDIS shows up then” did seem odd, but I guess they wanted to show us the companions being plucky and adventury.

Jerusalem posted:

I do have to say the door opening for the Doctor when she admits she lost her keys was really sweet, even knowing that she could have just snapped her fingers.

I also liked that it didn’t open until after she said “Sorry.”

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Pesky Splinter posted:

Here's a behind the scenes look at the new TARDIS look.

I'm still not a fan, but I love the story of the custard creme :allears:

Sydney Bottocks posted:

:hfive:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

corn in the bible posted:

They didn't look like that at all though

"The one in town's green, though."

It actually is too!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I really liked that episode quite a lot

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

precision posted:

I really liked that episode quite a lot

So did I. It wasn't perfect but the story was quite solid. Monsters were a bit goofy but they served their purpose since it was mostly about the human drama.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

I hope that, someday, they'll attain the same level of quality as Jon Pertwee era Dr Who. He's the best doctor ever and I love him, I'm watching Season 7 and it's amazing

He's literally just Alan Quatermass and he's the best

My friend, you are in for a treat :)

I grew up watching Doctor Who on PBS and my initial Doctors were Pertwee and T. Baker (catching all the other original series Doctors as episodes were made available later during the 1980s). The Fourth Doctor brings back memories of summer vacations when I could stay up late on Sunday nights, but the Third Doctor brings back memories of wintry snow days when it was too bad out to go to school, and I could sit wrapped up in a blanket with a mug of hot chocolate to watch the Third Doctor episode I'd taped the previous Sunday night. :)

Regarding the newest Doctor, I think (like a lot of people) I'm basically head over heels for Jodie Whittaker. :swoon: And Bradley Walsh is really great and I'm glad he's part of the TARDIS crew.

E: Also,

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I smiled so hard at that moment.

That said, the theme, this episode, and the “new mystery of the Doctor” brought on by the evil towels made this feel a LOT like a McCoy episode. Like early McCoy - Paradise Towers mixed with Delta and the Bannermen.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Just finished watching it and so far they're two for two as far as I'm concerned.

Like, the plotting was nothing amazing but when the main plot is "get across mysterious dangerous landscape" it doesn't need to be. It did feel like it really wanted to be either about fifteen minutes longer or have about ten minutes cut out of it, and the Creepy Exposition Monsters didn't quite work but so far they've been doing a great job with keeping the flaws fully in the "I don't really care that that didn't work so well" category.

I desperately want more insight into Yaz though. Ryan got a pretty solid introduction last week and this week focused on Graham a bit more (and I *love* Graham and Ryan's tentative relationship) and Yaz was also in both episodes. Plenty of time, though.

This Doctor is a little flightly and absent-minded in the best way possible. (And she's definitely got the whole Doctorish 'nobody but me is allowed to do violent things' attitude down. One wonders what she'd make of Ace and her Nitro-Nine.) Also her general attitude toward...um...rear end in a top hat racer dude...wasn't at all surprising or out of character but I thought it worked well.

I don't think the new TARDIS interior is amazing but I did really like "You've redecorated...I REALLY LIKE IT" as a line. Pairs really well with her "...OH BRILLIANT" reaction to seeing herself, and if her signature ends up being just completely random bursts of positivity, I for one welcome it.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

CobiWann posted:

I smiled so hard at that moment.

That said, the theme, this episode, and the “new mystery of the Doctor” brought on by the evil towels made this feel a LOT like a McCoy episode. Like early McCoy - Paradise Towers mixed with Delta and the Bannermen.

I was thinking much along the same lines, though I thought it felt a bit more like a later Seventh Doctor episode. But definitely the same sort of vibe overall.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Also the Dr's outfit is awesomely dorky and weird I love it

I was really pleasantly surprised that Graham became the third Companion, I did not see that coming at all and he's amazing in the role

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

One thing I did dig is that Ryan wakes up to a concerned Graham checking on him and lamenting that the racer lady isn't being forthcoming. Meanwhile Yaz wakes up and the Doctor is nowhere to be seen because she's off somewhere having a row in the best Hartnell tradition with the pilot who saved their lives :allears:

Plus, as I already quoted earlier:

Doctor: We're all going to die! :mad:
Yaz: We're going to die? :ohdear:
Doctor: Oh Yaz? Uhh... nevermind, we'll be fine! :haw: