Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Kith posted:

No blue (or purple) text. I'll buy it when he gets colorful.

People are taking the bait though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Post is gone now. I think Blizzard didn't find it very funny.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
What was it?

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Someone made a fake "Hi I'm the new game director" post.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
Was is really inflammatroy or was the poster just having fun ?

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyhk2aexPRw

(New HeroStorm feat. Mal'ganis)

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

skipThings posted:

Was is really inflammatroy or was the poster just having fun ?

Just the poster having fun. They claimed that the Silence system was being cut in favor of a "non-preferred match" system - instead of removing the player's ability to communicate, it would just keep them from matching with the players that disliked them, inevitably increasing their queue times. The logistical nightmare that would be aside, it was a dead giveaway that they weren't official because the post in question didn't have fancy text colors and because the account in question had zero posts.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

kaesarsosei posted:

I want to try an derail these "sky is falling" Mal'ganis posts by asking about Zarya. Someone tell me what build to play with her, and what I should be doing. Played a game which we won easily but I didn't feel like I was being particularly impactful at any stage.

Zarya is not a main tank since she doesn't have much in the way of peeling, initiating or securing kills, especially before she hits level 10 since she has absolutely no CC in her basic abilities. She also has a bad time when she's all by herself in a lane since that cuts out one of her basic abilities and means she's effectively functioning at half strength, and she has no real way to self-heal unlike many other bruisers nor does she have absolutely any source of mobility outside of just popping her shield and walking over while hoping for the best. If you're drafting, you want to draft her with one other warrior and she's best vs. a team with burst ability (you're not as useful against teams who do lots of poke/chip damage over a long time). QM team comps are QM team comps, but if you draft Zarya and your team decides "well, that's the frontline taken care of, let's all go assassins" you're going to have a bad time.

Zarya doesn't use mana, so all her abilities are gated by their cooldowns, which means the big thing with effective Zarya play is being able to time your abilities correctly. Well-timed shields absorb big damage to save health and then convert that damage into energy which Zarya converts back into a damage boost for herself. A Zarya at 0 energy isn't much to worry about, but a Zarya at full charge does triple damage (or more...) with every one of her attacks, abilities and talents that do damage.

Zarya's auto attack hits everyone in a small rectangle several times a second so lining up a good shot is very useful. Generally speaking you don't necessarily want to be on the very frontline, but you can be a little behind the main tank so you can hose down their melee and shoot grenades at their backline, and throw your shields on whoever is in danger.

Particle Grenades are your main source of poke, since it costs nothing and you have 4 charges with a charge taking 8 seconds to come back by default. If you want to get good at Zarya, getting good with grenade timing is one of the main ways to do it. ARAM brawls can be good practice since it's basically nothing but teamfights so you can get the timing down. There's a travel time, but the range is about half a screen and they go over all barriers and walls between them and the target area so you can outrange many abilities, harass their backline and interrupt channels. There's a .75 second cooldown between charges to prevent you from just holding down Q and dumping your entire stack on someone who's been stunned or rooted. 0 energy grenades barely tickle, but full energy grenades that have been boosted by talents can lay on a surprising amount of hurt. You probably won't get a ton of kills as Zarya other than beaning the occasional fleeing squishy but you can soften them up once you're charged.

Personal Barrier is your basic source of absorbing damage, giving you about a quarter of your HP, while Shield Ally is your tool for defending your allies. Shield Ally also means that Zarya never wants to be alone in a lane if at all possible, because without anyone to shield she's locked out of an ability and can't generate as much energy to harm her foes. Shield Ally is only 75% of the value of your Personal Barrier, and is on a 12 second cooldown instead of a 10 second one, so there's a longer window in between saves. Usually the worst thing that can happen with your shields is you pop them and they don't do anything because that means that you don't prevent damage, don't gain energy and you may find a situation in the next 10 seconds where you really wish you still had them (exception is when you manage to Shield an ally and the enemy disengages without doing more damage since they realize they can't kill them in time). So timing your barriers is very important and recognizing when people are going to take big damage from incoming skillshots or dive heroes. If you don't think they're going to focus on you (especially if you've got an actual tank on the team) then popping your personal shield and then wandering in front of line-based skillshots can really save some damage. Similarly, while laning you can use your barrier to top off your energy by taking a tower shot or two or wandering into an enemy AoE spell. Shield Ally is also really effective on characters who can spend a lot of time hanging around at low health like Zul'jin (so he doesn't die immediately after Taz'dingo ends) or Garrosh (his armor combined with your shield means he can absorb a tremendous amount of pain without dying). An enemy Varian can blow up your shields at 13 if he takes the right talent- you still get the energy out of it, but it might not be enough to make up for it. Obviously, you can't prevent poo poo when you're stunned or silenced, so watch out for those.

Graviton Surge is her Overwatch heroic- drop a zone that pulls everyone in to the center and sets their speed to 0 for a few seconds. They can still attack and use abilities, and they can jump/dash/teleport their way out of the zone and back to normal, and they can be knocked out of the zone by your allies' powers. It doesn't do damage, but it should be a big "drop abilities here" button for your allies and a prime place to launch your grenades. You can also use it to peel for your team if you're being pursued or to stall an enemy advance for a few seconds even if you don't have any follow-up. They lowered the cooldown to 60 seconds, so you don't have to feel bad about dropping it as long as you actually accomplish something.

Expulsion Zone is the opposite- drop a zone that punts everyone out of it and slows them by 50% for a second. It's a bit trickier to use but has a variety of uses. The obvious use is just to block a point to keep enemies out while you channel an objective or something, but you can also use it to peel for your team since they can walk through it without harm and it will push away their pursuers. You can even use it to split the enemy team for a few seconds or trap someone against a corner of a wall or terrain. It works as soon as they touch it with any part of their hitbox so you can do some work against big heroes like Tychus' Odin or Alextrasa's Dragonqueen form. It does do damage that scales with energy and can do some surprising amount of damage if you can trap someone with it and cause them to keep bouncing off the zone. 45 second cooldown is really fast for an ult.

Most of her talents have at least some use.

Level 1:
-Demolitions Expert: Quest to hit heroes with grenades to reduce your cooldown on your grenades and eventually increase the AoE when you complete it, which makes your grenades far more dangerous, especially when you combine it with other grenade talents.
-Feel the Heat: You auto-attacks do 50% more damage in melee range, which will put out a punishing amount of damage when you're fully charged, which means you can convince heroes like Illidan or Butcher to go somewhere else and you can melt a frontline if you position yourself correctly. Also helps you kill buildings, mercs, monsters and minions faster.
-Maximum Charge: Makes it so regen globes give you energy and staying at a high energy long enough increases your maximum energy capacity by 20, which is useful (especially if you have an Alexstrasa who can give you free globes), helps you maintain your energy level while laning and means you do more damage at your higher maximum capacity. It also combos well with later talents that want you to have an energy level above 75, since that gives you a wider window to take advantage of their bonuses (the decay from 120 to 75 is 15 seconds compared to the ~8 second decay from 100 to 75, long enough to recharge both of your shield talents and get some more energy).

-Together We Are Strong: Pretty "eh" since it just makes your allies that you shield generate energy by doing damage. You can get energy from other talents and it's kind of cross-purpose with your Shield Ally talent since generally you want to save it for when someone is in trouble and there's no guarantee that whoever you throw the shield on will go ham on your enemies, plus it's only really useful on an assassin (so if you shield a support you're not getting much value out of this). It can sort of salvage a badly-timed shield I suppose, and might be useful if you're shielding a dive assassin, but I'd still prefer one of the other ones.

Level 4:
-Defensive Shielding: All your shields now give you and your allies what amounts to 2 charges of block for 6 seconds. Depends on the enemy team, but it can be very helpful vs. auto-attack heavy heroes like Butcher, Raynor, or Hammer. Doesn't do much vs. enemies who spam attacks very quickly though.
-Give Me Twenty: Collect 20 regen globes, with each globe boosting your Shield Ally shield strength by 15, and reducing the cooldown by 2 seconds from 12 to 10 seconds when you're done. A perfectly good talent that basically puts your Shield Ally ability on par with your Personal Shield in terms of cooldown and damage absorbed (technically, Personal Barrier eventually outscales the Shield Ally +300 value at a level sometime in the 20s but who's counting?). Good vs. anything if you can reliably complete the quest.
-Speed Barrier: Shield Ally gives a 50% move speed boost. This is great since as long as your allies can move they can escape or pursue as needed. Won't do poo poo if they're rooted unless you also have Cleansing Shield at 16.

-I Am The Strongest: Your Personal Barrier now is about equal to 30% of your health instead of about 25%. It's something, but I feel like the other talents will have a more noticeable impact.

Level 7:
-Hit Me: Your personal shield now generates energy faster when taking damage. It's perfectly fine, though if you don't have energy problems then you can consider a different talent.
-Pinpoint Accuracy: Your grenades deal 40% more damage to stuff in the center. If you're going grenade build, this makes it hurt more.
-To The Limit: At 50+ Energy you get a 35% longer auto-attack range, which is long enough that you can actually outrange some ranged characters and lock onto someone in the backline and damage everything between you and the squishy.

-Explosive Barrier: Your personal barrier does damage when it expires or gets popped, and this damage gets boosted by your energy levels. Depends on your positioning if you can make use of this though compared to some of the other talents here. Could be useful if you keep getting dived/melee focused.

Level 13:
-Endurance Training: 20 Armor at 75+ energy means you can tank more damage, which is always a good thing if you don't have problems keeping your energy up.
-Pain is Temporary: Every 30 seconds, dump your energy back into a shield based on a % of your HP, up to 50% of your HP at 100 Energy (or 60% at 120 with Maximum Charge or possibly even more if you can do something wild with Expulsion Zone at 20). If your shields get blown up and you need to live this is the ability for you. Fun part is that damaging this shield gives you energy back. It's a beautiful thing that can help you survive an assault. Doesn't do much if you don't have energy, obviously.
-Spell Barrier: 75 Spell Armor for 3 seconds after your Personal Barrier dies or expires. It's the most niche talent at this level but it can help you survive against really bursty mage teams.
-Unstoppable Competitor: 2 seconds Unstoppable on your personal barrier, which is useful against heavy CC.

Level 16:
-Born in Battle: At 75+ Energy your cooldowns are 25% faster. This includes your heroic. Faster cooldowns= more frequent shields = more energy= faster cooldowns. Really strong if you can get it to work.
-Cleansing Shield: Reduces the Shield Ally cooldown by 3 seconds and makes it so it clears CC. This stacks with the level 4 talents so you can have a really fast 7 second cooldown shield with Give Me Twenty or a shield that dispels roots and gives speed with Speed Barrier.
-Gain Train: Shield Ally now gives a second shield to an ally within range, though the second shield doesn't benefit from any other talent, and you don't get to pick who it shields so sometimes the one who's closest isn't the one who's the second most in peril. Still good for countering AoE bursts and you can basically go from 0 to full energy once both targets are attacked.
-Plasma Shock: Hitting someone with the center of a grenade slows them by 20% for 2 seconds. Slows help you peel, land further grenades/ults and secure kills, but you still have to be pretty precise with your aim or it won't do anything. Personally, I think it's the most expendable talent in the grenade build.

Level 20:
-Clear Out: Increases Expulsion Zone's AoE and makes it so it increases your energy maximum each time it damages a hero. Makes the ult better at doing its thing and if you're really good at it you can do some wild things with a monstrously huge energy capacity.
-Gravity Kills: Graviton Surge lasts 1 second longer and now does damage. The extra duration isn't bad, but the damage is forgettable at this level even if it's boosted by your energy.
-Grenadier: Your grenades now return all four charges at once. Gets absolutely absurd if you completed the level 1 grenade quest since you can almost hold down Q and never really run out for more than a second. Poke the enemy to death and prevent them from ever channeling an objective ever again.
-Unyielding Defender: Every 60 seconds you can reset the cooldowns on your shields. Get more shields, solve more problems. Never a bad choice as long as you're not terrible with your shield timing.

Kurieg posted:

There's basically two Zarya builds that I know of. The grenadier build that just shits out grenades and requires a bit of precision on your part (Demolitions Expert, Pinpoint Accuracy, Plasma Shock, Grenadier) Or the shield/energy focused build (Maximum Charge, Give Me Twenty, To the Limit, Endurance Training/Unstoppable Competitor, Gain Train/Cleansing Shield)

I tend to use the Second one just because it's fun having a giant energy chainsaw that deals 240% Damage. Never solo lane, get used to dipping into towers to top off your energy when there's no one else around, and use your shields on allies.

I'm of the "why not both?" camp when it comes to Zarya.

Level 1: Demolitions Expert for the reduced grenade cooldowns
Level 4: Give Me Twenty for the improved Shield Ally by giving both a bigger shield and a shorter cooldown.
Level 7: Pinpoint Accuracy for more damage on grenades
Level 10: Graviton Surge for a giant "throw AoE wombo and grenades here"
Level 13: As needed- Unstoppable can be good vs CC, 20 armor is useful when you're full on energy, Spell Armor is good vs. burst mages who can delete your shields and the self shield from Pain is Temporary lets you get another big shield after you've topped your energy off if you need to save yourself some pain.
Level 16: Cleansing Shield is my first choice, since the cooldown reduction stacks with Give Me Twenty meaning Shield Ally is now a boosted shield that cleanses CC on a 7 second cooldown (down from 12), which is very versatile and you can put out a hilarious amount of problems with it. Gain Train is also good if you're trying to counter big AoE stuff, while Born in Battle also reduces cooldowns but on everything (even your ult) if you can keep your energy topped.
Level 20: Grenadier with your level 1 grenade quest done means that you get 4 grenades every 4.5 seconds and can lay down the hurt pretty much forever

Your 1, 7 and 20 give you the ability to lay down a large amount of poke and make the enemy team miserable, while your 4 and 16 let you help allies in a lot of different ways on a pretty frequent basis, which ensures you're going to be pretty much always full on energy so your grenades keep doing massive damage. You're a menace in ARAM and it's hilarious when you're the top of both damage and healing as Zarya in a regular match. Plasma shock is nice but cleansing ally shields that are as strong as your personal shield every 7 seconds are nicer.

Dire Human
Feb 1, 2013

AH-HA! That's right...

Who's laughing now?

Who's laughing now?

It's also very important that you yell KOBE right before you shoot your bomb at the healing fountain to catch the poor low hp bastard who thought he got away

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
Nothing in this game is cooler than dropping a planet cracker into a 3+ hero graviton.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
can this stupid game stop giving me tints of legendary skins I have a different tint of? I have all 3 tychus ones now and only like one of them.

Also, Fenix owns.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Me at the start of this event: Ooh, Witch Whitemane! The default colour even! Awesome.

Me two days ago: A legendary lootbox! Which has Witch Whitemane again... only green. Yay...

Speaking of which, this “Raven Lord has a posse” event is ending tomorrow. Don’t forget to buy stuff with shards before they’re gone. Like on those banners, they look nice.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Mierenneuker posted:

Me at the start of this event: Ooh, Witch Whitemane! The default colour even! Awesome.

Me two days ago: A legendary lootbox! Which has Witch Whitemane again... only green. Yay...

Speaking of which, this “Raven Lord has a posse” event is ending tomorrow. Don’t forget to buy stuff with shards before they’re gone. Like on those banners, they look nice.

Some neat mounts too

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
I really like the spooky horses under the blankets, personally. I know those were there before but I still love them.

Dire Human
Feb 1, 2013

AH-HA! That's right...

Who's laughing now?

Who's laughing now?

Ritznit posted:

I really like the spooky horses under the blankets, personally. I know those were there before but I still love them.

They love you too

edit: quick match what the gently caress

Dire Human fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 15, 2018

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I can't decide if I should get Alex or Whitemane's skin. Probably going for Whitemane's because she's amazing.

Dire Human
Feb 1, 2013

AH-HA! That's right...

Who's laughing now?

Who's laughing now?

Cuntellectual posted:

I can't decide if I should get Alex or Whitemane's skin. Probably going for Whitemane's because she's amazing.

Yeah; if you want a good Whitemane and Alex skin, getting Whitemane's halloween one and Alex's gem-only one is better than the other way around

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Heck you don't even see the Alex one all the time. Whitemane is going to get used more in general with the meta where it is, and she has almost no skins to begin with. Plus she rides a broom with a cat.

No brainier to me.

I'm nearly done with this event; I have one more post game awards quest and then the final one. Today I played 3 games and did not manage MVP or one of the other awards, and I have very limited time Monday night. Has anyone tried doing these in an AI game with AI teammates? The game will take longer, but if it can complete the quest it's basically a sure thing. Just don't want to waste 20+ minutes to find out that mode doesn't work.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
Except for the play with friends one I've done all of them in Me/AI vs. AI. Anything that counts as a game(for Exp, Dailies, etc.) counts.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

NameHurtBrain posted:

Except for the play with friends one I've done all of them in Me/AI vs. AI. Anything that counts as a game(for Exp, Dailies, etc.) counts.

Cool beans, thanks. I have to assume you must actively try to not get MVP with 4 AI teammates (unless maybe you're support)

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Tassadar Ticklebeam plus Wall might be the most fun thing in the game. Watching Assassins realise 'Oh poo poo I'm losing' mid-way through you standing and manfighting them is deeply funny.

E: And getting to L20 for the Wall upgrade makes me positively giddy. Why the sweet bejesus would anyone pick Archon?

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Oct 15, 2018

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
If you're not a gimmicky idiot and play normally, yeah. I tended to go bloodthirsty as gently caress against AI and was trying to rack up a giant kill count, but going too deep you die and that counts against you big.

Hammer is pretty much the MVP cheat everywhere if for some reason you have trouble. She'll top Siege, Hero, and XP contribution easily. This applies to any disorganized game mode, she just ticks all the boxes blizzard seems to weigh MVP for most. The AI isn't as potent at countering her either.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Shockeh posted:

Tassadar Ticklebeam plus Wall might be the most fun thing in the game. Watching Assassins realise 'Oh poo poo I'm losing' mid-way through you standing and manfighting them is deeply funny.

E: And getting to L20 for the Wall upgrade makes me positively giddy. Why the sweet bejesus would anyone pick Archon?

Because permanent archon is op and game-ending?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Ritznit posted:

drat right.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
If you're not riding the horse covered in a blanket with a horse drawn on it then I don't know what you're doing with your life.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Dire Human posted:

They love you too

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Looks like a normal QM to me. Well, my team anyway. The other team will have 3 dps 1 good tank 1 good healer and one of em at least will have good waveclear too.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

People use costumes and Mounts other than the defaults?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
why else would you play this game

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Using a regular horse mount is illegal. The default horse mount is double illegal

edit:

Dire Human posted:

They love you too

I haven't played in a while. Didn't Blizzard say they were going to fix QM matchmaking to be more normal team setups? What is happening with that? How can it possibly be taking them so long to implement?

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Macaluso posted:

I haven't played in a while. Didn't Blizzard say they were going to fix QM matchmaking to be more normal team setups? What is happening with that? How can it possibly be taking them so long to implement?

They had it on for a little while but at some point (I think the whitemane patch?) it either broke or they turned it off and just kind of forgot about it

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Snacksmaniac posted:

People use costumes and Mounts other than the defaults?

Matching costumes and mounts without spending a penny gives me tremendous joy. I’m on mobile right now otherwise I’d link a screenshot of Heroic Balespider Gul’dan riding an Onyx Mechanospider that would make you go “drat, that is one smooth motherfucker”. Or Pirate Queen Cassia on the Great Razorgrin mount. Long gone are the days of putting everybody on the Money Pig.

Edit: And I rarely play Nova, but I’ll never regret picking up the Invisible Horse for her.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 15, 2018

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The best candidate for the Invisible Horse is Prince Arthas.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Mierenneuker posted:

Matching costumes and mounts without spending a penny gives me tremendous joy. I’m on mobile right now otherwise I’d link a screenshot of Heroic Balespider Gul’dan riding an Onyx Mechanospider that would make you go “drat, that is one smooth motherfucker”. Or Pirate Queen Cassia on the Great Razorgrin mount. Long gone are the days of putting everybody on the Money Pig.

Edit: And I rarely play Nova, but I’ll never regret picking up the Invisible Horse for her.

Nice, we run the exact same mount/hero combinations :cool::respek:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Lol stop playing quick match it's terrible and has all the worst and most miserable players. I'm enjoying the game much more since I stopped.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Kith posted:

“Wait, this battleground has mercenaries? Excellent, I LOVE mercenaries!”

I barely remember WC3, but that skin has some excellent click-quotes.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

fool_of_sound posted:

Lol stop playing quick match it's terrible and has all the worst and most miserable players. I'm enjoying the game much more since I stopped.

QM is v. bad. The worst game mode. Mismatched teams, heroes on maps terrible for them, the worst players, teaches horrible habits. All around a dreadful experience. I use it to get heroes to 5 now and nothing else. Maybe a starter mode if I'm teaching someone new, but even then AI is more rewarding.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

A friend of mine started using default everything so it rubbed off on me. Its one of those things that’s only funny to me.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Kith posted:

The joke that can't ever die. Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The best part is I've never even played WoW. I did it for the sake of amusing the friends of mine that did and I got so used to seeing it that using anything else felt weird.