Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

i spent 2 days camping for a mansion plot in balmung and i didn't realize the walls from my cottage would transfer over, but i can only imagine what the other guys who had been camping with me and my friend for the past two days were thinking when this visualized in front of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That is amazing

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Got to encounter my first run-in with Alpha and Omega, post-Alphascape, in the wild. https://imgur.com/FwLCw8q

Also, the SB cooking quests were kinda nice but not nearly as good as HW (points for not needing a bazillion ingredients to make the food).

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

avoraciopoctules posted:

I started playing the FF14 free trial a couple months back, and it’s been fairly enjoyable. I started as a pugilist because I hear they have fun quests, but I soon ended up drifting over to the mage classes. So far, Thaumaturge feels strongest. As soon as I got Drain, I seemed to be basically unbeatable if I just spammed Drain after blowing my initial MP on damage spells and then switching to ice MP regen mode.

It’s not useful in dungeons, and I still need to use Sleep if I get attacked by groups, but so far being a blasty mage feels like the strongest solo class. I’m a little worried about hitting the money csp, hovering around 24k gil at level 25, and all my gear is current. Definitely looking forward to seeing how things change when I can promote to Black Mage later!

Renegret posted:

Kramers into thread

HAVE I TOLD YOU ABOUT OUR LORD AND SAVIOR, FLARE?

I mean, it's a level 50 skill, but point still stands.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

TheHeadSage posted:

I just relearn all the classes I don't normally play when it's time to level them in the next expansion.

Same. And unless there's been major changes, they still play the same in leveling roulette and the like,so you don't have to learn that much.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

I'm thinking about getting back into the game.
Does the "you need to buy a copy for each platform" only apply to the base game, or do you need the expansions for each platform as well?
I currently have the base game + Heavensward on PC. The "Complete Edition" for PS4 is currently on sale (base game + both expansions).
Will that allow me to use Stormblood stuff on PC? If not, how does the game behave when I'm trying to do something I don't have (like being logged out in an expansion area, then switching to PC)?

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Tamba posted:

I'm thinking about getting back into the game.
Does the "you need to buy a copy for each platform" only apply to the base game, or do you need the expansions for each platform as well?
I currently have the base game + Heavensward on PC. The "Complete Edition" for PS4 is currently on sale (base game + both expansions).
Will that allow me to use Stormblood stuff on PC? If not, how does the game behave when I'm trying to do something I don't have (like being logged out in an expansion area, then switching to PC)?

You need to buy expansions for each platform yeah.

If I had to guess, the game will probably just not let you log in as that character.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

You need to buy expansions for each platform yeah.

If I had to guess, the game will probably just not let you log in as that character.

This is correct.

Searching around tells me that if you don't buy the expansions for a platform and your character is in an expansion area, the game won't let you log in. So you need to buy the "complete" edition.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

avoraciopoctules posted:

I started playing the FF14 free trial a couple months back, and it’s been fairly enjoyable. I started as a pugilist because I hear they have fun quests, but I soon ended up drifting over to the mage classes. So far, Thaumaturge feels strongest. As soon as I got Drain, I seemed to be basically unbeatable if I just spammed Drain after blowing my initial MP on damage spells and then switching to ice MP regen mode.

It’s not useful in dungeons, and I still need to use Sleep if I get attacked by groups, but so far being a blasty mage feels like the strongest solo class. I’m a little worried about hitting the money csp, hovering around 24k gil at level 25, and all my gear is current. Definitely looking forward to seeing how things change when I can promote to Black Mage later!

THM is very useful in dungeons. You are the best at making things dead, which is good and important

Then you hit level 50 and get flare and everything is the best forever.

Then you hit level 68 and get enhanced umbral heart and then you cast flare four times and then foul and you steal aggro on the wallpull the tank just did and die with a smile on your face

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The trick is to never use diversion because you need to pull aggro to assert your dominance.

If you're going to use Lucid Dreaming, you need to make sure you get hit a couple times first so everyone can see that you pulled and therefore have a bigger dick than the tank.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Shirk the BLM to make them feel like big boys.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Saint Freak posted:

Shirk the BLM to make them feel like big boys.

That's fine just make sure you let me get my flares off first.

It's criminal otherwise.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
If you are a DPS, feel free to pull aggro, but kindly deposit mobs near the tank.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

jigokuman posted:

If you are a DPS, feel free to pull aggro, but kindly deposit mobs near the tank.

No no that's not how it works, as a BLM I'm contractually obligated to stand at max range so that I'm not accidentally part of an aoe heal.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
lol if you're not standing in the pack so you can get a better view of your flares

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

running all the way to the boss room and pulling the boss along with the rest of the train while being chased around the room to the benny hill theme

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I've actually just leveled a BLM to 50 and I'm wondering how you're supposed to fit Flare into your rotation. My rotation after 40 has basically been spam Fire 1 until I only have enough mp to cast Blizzard 3 than do Lightning or something to kill time in the like three seconds it takes to regen mana then cast Fire 3 and start again.

Do I just end with Flare instead then Transpose and wait until I have enough mp to cast Blizzard 3 to speed up the regen? Is there a minimum amount of mp needed to cast Flare, or can I cast it with literally 1 mp?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I know Wanderer’s Palace had a section where people would just run past mobs because you could start the boss fight before they caught up, but now everything is so blocked off. Are there any other instances of that nowadays?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Got a bunch of Suzaku clears yesterday. :unsmith:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Veotax posted:

I've actually just leveled a BLM to 50 and I'm wondering how you're supposed to fit Flare into your rotation. My rotation after 40 has basically been spam Fire 1 until I only have enough mp to cast Blizzard 3 than do Lightning or something to kill time in the like three seconds it takes to regen mana then cast Fire 3 and start again.

Do I just end with Flare instead then Transpose and wait until I have enough mp to cast Blizzard 3 to speed up the regen? Is there a minimum amount of mp needed to cast Flare, or can I cast it with literally 1 mp?

There's a minimum amount of MP you need to flare.

Essentially your AoE rotation at that level is Fire2 x3, flare, transpose, Fire3, repeat. Flare's only use in your single target rotation at that level is to swiftcast flare then convert, but that's some minmax poo poo that you don't actually have to do. Otherwise it's a strictly AoE skill.

e: everything changes at level...67? 68? At that point you just face smash flare endlessly.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 15, 2018

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Veotax posted:

Flare is entirely for your AoE rotation.

Also what you want to do is actually open with Blizzard 3 and then Thunder so you have more DoT ticks going on, and then Fire 3 and Fire 1 spam.

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by

Chakan posted:

I know Wanderer’s Palace had a section where people would just run past mobs because you could start the boss fight before they caught up, but now everything is so blocked off. Are there any other instances of that nowadays?

I think Saint Mocianne's kinda has this before the bee boss where you can just run into the boss room after breaking the second wall and the trash won't follow you in.

Unrelated, is the dress on the dress hanger an obtainable piece of gear, or is it unique to the item?

Banjo Kaczynski fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 15, 2018

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

pupuru posted:

Unrelated, is the dress on the dress hanger an obtainable piece of gear, or is it unique to the item?

It's a High House Bustle.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

I finished up another house over the weekend, this time for Silver Bells / Elentor. Elentor was actually the first goon to ask me about designing a house, right after the forums housing contest. Once we finally worked out the general direction of the house, Monster Hunter World released, then Dragon Quest 11. So it's been a long time coming, but I think this one was worth the wait.

Excal Mist 3, 36
Exterior:

Interior, Ground Level:

Interior, Basement:

Interior, Top Floor:

Album with some more shots here: https://imgur.com/a/HhrfcJG
It's actually a stone's throw from another house I did, plot 48 in this same ward.

If you would like me to come work on your house, let me know. I can swing by and give you some advice, or do a full on redesign of the space, or anything in between. I don't ask for anything other than the cost of the furniture, even if tips are appreciated. Message Rozeno Montevere in game, or PM me here, or message Rhoga on Steam or the Discord.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Splash Attack posted:

i spent 2 days camping for a mansion plot in balmung and i didn't realize the walls from my cottage would transfer over, but i can only imagine what the other guys who had been camping with me and my friend for the past two days were thinking when this visualized in front of them

Did you know it was getting demolished soon or something?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

rhoga posted:

house stuff

Holy moly, this looks amazing. I'm still very low level so house ownership is not in my near future, but you have me thinking designing a house could be my personal end-game.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
I really hope they eventually get housing on the backend to the point where they can just easily spin up a new ward if like 98% of all available plots have been occupied for a certain amount of time

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Ohtsam posted:

I really hope they eventually get housing on the backend to the point where they can just easily spin up a new ward if like 98% of all available plots have been occupied for a certain amount of time

Hahaha IV (formerly known as Hahahaja)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Splash Attack posted:

I know a Lalafell who refuses to live in any house that's not a paissa.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like this Hien guy. I also like this Mongolia zone.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Ytlaya posted:

The Steppe is probably easily one of the prettiest overworld zones they've ever created.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Ytlaya posted:

Hien is probably the best character of the expansion. He’s the first leader we’ve seen with a good idea of what it actually means to be a leader.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

downloaded ACT recently for my first foray into parsing. forget to turn it on most times. when i do i confirm that i am pretty average, which is fine by me

though i left it running last night when i
1) ran unfamiliar content (just unlocked sigmascape last night) on
2) a class i only recently got to 70 so i'm still learning it, and it's
3) dark knight, a class more complicated than my usual main of warrior

when main tanking my dps was in the bottom 3 alongside the healers even though i spent the majority of the fight out of grit :negative:

not really indicative of anything due to all the aforementioned clauses but it sure felt bad! still gonna stick with drk a while but boy i sure hope they get some sort of rework, it's a pretty messy class. fun to play though.

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

FULTON: The Freshmaker
In an ideal world both tanks should be parsing below all four DPS in 8-man content. When they get into the top three (or god forbid, literally #1) then the situation is undoubtedly dire within the instance.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

DangerDan posted:

In an ideal world both tanks should be parsing below all four DPS in 8-man content. When they get into the top three (or god forbid, literally #1) then the situation is undoubtedly dire within the instance.

look as the tank am the de facto most machismo of the group and if i'm not showing these baby dps how to take hits and deliver them back tenfold then i'm doing it wrong :colbert:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I occasionally parsed #1 in Castrum Abania today as DRK, but that's a unique case where it's a level 69 (nice) dungeon so I was leveled to 70 and all my party members were at 69 (nice).

I also had to do the shameful deed of switching back into Grit for the final boss because it hit so hard :(

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Kaubocks posted:

downloaded ACT recently for my first foray into parsing. forget to turn it on most times. when i do i confirm that i am pretty average, which is fine by me

though i left it running last night when i
1) ran unfamiliar content (just unlocked sigmascape last night) on
2) a class i only recently got to 70 so i'm still learning it, and it's
3) dark knight, a class more complicated than my usual main of warrior

when main tanking my dps was in the bottom 3 alongside the healers even though i spent the majority of the fight out of grit :negative:

not really indicative of anything due to all the aforementioned clauses but it sure felt bad! still gonna stick with drk a while but boy i sure hope they get some sort of rework, it's a pretty messy class. fun to play though.

Being being 6th highest DPS as MT sounds fine unless your OT and DPS are garbage

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

warrior and dark knight get the biggest weapons for a reason

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Yeah, there's no shame as a drk being 6th on the dps list especially when you're relatively new to the job and/or still gearing up.

If you have current gear and feel comfortable tanking but find yourself being out-dpsed by pubbie healers, then it's time to figure out what you're doing wrong. Notable exception: if you are doing big dungeon trash pulls then your healers really should be out-damaging you (and possibly the actual dps people also). Holy is a hell of a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kaubocks posted:

warrior and dark knight get the biggest weapons for a reason

You clearly haven't seen the size of my anima bow