Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
For everyone who was describing complicated ways of generating dread: can't you just sleep with reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

30.5 Days posted:

For everyone who was describing complicated ways of generating dread: can't you just sleep with reason?

Sometimes it throws fascination. If you're at 2/3, you then promptly die of trying to fix it.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Autonomous Monster posted:

Here's hoping you get to uncrime the sky and restore the Sun

As the tagline used to say, Bring The Dawn.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

You can see what the hidden achievements are if you click on global achievement stats. Still going to spoil them below, in case you'd rather be surprised.

The House of the Moon
The House of My Moon
The Sun Before Me
The Dodo and the Dragon
Ever after: Clifton
Ever after: Leo
Ever After: Dorothy
Ever After: Clovette
Ever After: Sylvia
Ever After: Ysabet
Ever After: Porter
Ever After: Slee
Ever After: Cat
Ever After: Neville
Ever After: Enid
Ever After: Auclair
Ever After: Violet
Ever After: Renira
Ever After: Saliba
Ever After: Victor
Ever After: Rose
Ever After: Elridge
Ever After: Laidlaw
Ever After: Valciane
Ever After: Tristan

The Sun Before Me is one that existed prior to this DLC but was not hidden up until now. If you load up Steam Achievement Manager you can get descriptions of all of these as well.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Welp, 29 hours played and I finally beat it (on the beta branch). Randomly did it as Aspirant. The end of the game was pretty much just waiting around until the mirror and eyeglass popped, it was pretty unpleasant. I'm gonna start looking into modding. I think I wanna try these:

- Reduce the final ascension cost to 34.
- Make sure equipment and wounds persist after cultist promotion
- Smooth success of cultist activities and vault perils so that every point in the aspect adds some success chance
- Reduce wound chance on vault failure past 10 in an aspect
- Make the first two vault tiers have higher success rates at lower skill did you know that perils in the first vault have the same skill requirements as the perils in later vaults? wtf
- Make the first three vault tiers list their perils on the card aspects
- Randomize later vault tier perils

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Got a couple of these things sorta-kinda live in an MVP:

Run fansus with: https://mods.thefansus.com/help/
Then install the mod from the fansus CLI: https://mods.thefansus.com/mods/smooth_sailing/

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, all the vault perils share the same success check. Later vaults just have more (and more lethal) versions of them so you need to send a posse instead of showing a point on an impossible map to the Maid-in-the-Mirror to 1v1 it.

On the one hand, it's approximately ten butts to expect a flailing protocult to make 10 points in anything, and low-tier hired help and the Pawns are even more comically useless. On the other hand, ramping up later challenges would realistically involve some kind of equipment system to get everything mustered in time, not that I wouldn't love to send Ysabet out on a mission with the portrait of her I painted in piebald. It looks just like her, except maybe a little louder.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

With the hirelings that have 5 in an aspect, you can then toss in 2 followers (and/or another appropriate hireling) at 2 aspect each to get up to 9. This gets you through the first tier of expeditions, and between that loot and the stores you should be able to start summoning things to chop through other places and/or upgrade your cultists to get the job done. If you're not sure what threats an expedition will face and you don't want to look it up, you can throw some hirelings/summons into it and write down the threats that show up when you're looking at it.

If you're having trouble upgrading cultists, check out the aspect of various timed cards. For example, restlessness has 3 forge/lantern/grail, so if you have one of those cults restlessness + level 4 lore lets you upgrade non-cult aspected people to disciples (normally you can only upgrade cult-aligned, because they have 2 already letting you hit 6).

Lost a game earlier because the dread event stole a dread from my fascination event, and that combined with me not playing safe/smart generated another fascination like 30 seconds later off of a door dream.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I think the only location that really doesn't allow for experimentation is the hospital, because the first and only obstacle is a Curse, which may eat up a Passion/Reason card permanently

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

ZypherIM posted:

With the hirelings that have 5 in an aspect, you can then toss in 2 followers (and/or another appropriate hireling) at 2 aspect each to get up to 9. This gets you through the first tier of expeditions, and between that loot and the stores you should be able to start summoning things to chop through other places and/or upgrade your cultists to get the job done. If you're not sure what threats an expedition will face and you don't want to look it up, you can throw some hirelings/summons into it and write down the threats that show up when you're looking at it.

If you're having trouble upgrading cultists, check out the aspect of various timed cards. For example, restlessness has 3 forge/lantern/grail, so if you have one of those cults restlessness + level 4 lore lets you upgrade non-cult aspected people to disciples (normally you can only upgrade cult-aligned, because they have 2 already letting you hit 6).

Lost a game earlier because the dread event stole a dread from my fascination event, and that combined with me not playing safe/smart generated another fascination like 30 seconds later off of a door dream.

There is no difference between 5 and 9 in an aspect, unfortunately.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

30.5 Days posted:

There is no difference between 5 and 9 in an aspect, unfortunately.

Are you sure?

I was under the impression that 3 is a minimum success and 10 auto, with some sort of scale in between. Even if it was thresholds of success I'd expect at least 3-5-7-10 or something.

I'll check at some point, but I'm fairly sure the comment text changes for me at 7 or 9 compared to 5.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

ZypherIM posted:

Are you sure?

I was under the impression that 3 is a minimum success and 10 auto, with some sort of scale in between. Even if it was thresholds of success I'd expect at least 3-5-7-10 or something.

I'll check at some point, but I'm fairly sure the comment text changes for me at 7 or 9 compared to 5.

Unfortunately, the thresholds are:

0 - 10%
1 - 30%
5 - 70%
10 - 100% [90% in gateofhorn]

These success chances apply to everything from cult activities and annoyance removal, to all vault obstacles (except a lot of things autofail you at zero aspect, including vault obstacles). In gateofhorn, the json files have been moved out of asset packages (does that predate gateofhorn?) so it's easy to verify: see cultistsimulator_Data/StreamingAssets/content/core/recipes/explore_obstacles_*.json

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Yeah, there’s no medium-high threshold between 5 and 10, it’s just a straight shot up there. 9 is the same as 5.

Edit: the other reason hirelings and pawns are useful is that if you make them the leader they soak the hit if you fail a non-curse obstacle.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Well that is exceedingly poor design, bleh. Still the 5-aspect hirelings give you a solid chance and cost nothing but time.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I think the idea is that your cultists are disposable and you should lose a few over a campaign, and its a roguelike so failure is expected. Its just that the early game is such a goddamn slog that once I'm past the stag door there's no way I'm not stacking every conceivable advantage so I don't have to do it again.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

I think the idea is that your cultists are disposable and you should lose a few over a campaign, and its a roguelike so failure is expected. Its just that the early game is such a goddamn slog that once I'm past the stag door there's no way I'm not stacking every conceivable advantage so I don't have to do it again.

Cultists are absolutely not disposable, since there's a finite number of them and once they're gone you can never get them back. You get at most 3 of each aspect, and some aspects you only get two of.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

If you need disposable people, just get hirelings. Late in the game I personally send a hireling or a summon first on expeditions.This practice will probably be better when we get to 90% Max success rate.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
And sometimes you just keep fishing for cultists because you annoyingly only have one of some aspect and then dammit they keep dying while working on something

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I don't get why there's a limited supply of pawns. Would having 40 disposable losers in your cult break the game somehow?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Kaethela posted:

Cultists are absolutely not disposable, since there's a finite number of them and once they're gone you can never get them back. You get at most 3 of each aspect, and some aspects you only get two of.

But they are, permadeath is a thing. They are currency in your ascension and from Alexis Kennedy's viewpoint this is less of a video game and more of an art project.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Resources that need to be spent to win are the opposite of roguelike disposable: you need to steward those resources intelligently if you want to succeed.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

But they are, permadeath is a thing. They are currency in your ascension and from Alexis Kennedy's viewpoint this is less of a video game and more of an art project.

Disposable implies you can spend them freely and without consequence. In this game if you burn through your cultists you are hosed because you cannot get them back. Once you get to a certain point you can just throw summons at the problem, but you definitely want to keep at least one or two of each aspect of cultist around for various projects and not throw them to their deaths.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Gosh I'm so excited for this update I think it'll be real good

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

On the Steam achievements page there's a new set of achievements that are slight variations of the lesser ascensions, but with corpses as the graphic. Like the Glory Ascension is "Thine be the Glory", but the new one has a corpse image and is called "Thine be the Ghoul". They have the same sub-text though. I wonder if there's a way to basically die while you ascend, or maybe that has to do with ascending together with your followers?

edit: Also, the Thunderskin ascension is "My Constancy Assured" vs "Our Constancy Assured". Seems like there's a price for trying to take someone with you.

Yorkshire Pudding fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 15, 2018

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

You'll now get a visual warning if a Verb has started absorbing a second Fascination or Dread

https://twitter.com/alexiskennedy/status/1051804366418657281?s=19

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

https://twitter.com/alexiskennedy/status/1051842446638964737

snrk

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I lost track of the date and thought today was Dancer Day. :negative:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

megane posted:

I don't get why there's a limited supply of pawns. Would having 40 disposable losers in your cult break the game somehow?

They're a little too easy to turn into sacrifices, I guess?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

The problem with pawns is that hirelings basically fill their uses early game, and by mid-game any advantages a promoted pawn could give is easily covered by a summon. About the only real use I have for them is having them take a bullet from the suppression bureau or that one chick (and maybe some rites?). Which makes sense to have them be a limited supply for those cases - giving you ablative members that you don't mind shedding before actually useful cult members. I guess I'd like if they had some sort of role outside of that though since those cases don't come up that often at all for me.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

ZypherIM posted:

The problem with pawns is that hirelings basically fill their uses early game, and by mid-game any advantages a promoted pawn could give is easily covered by a summon. About the only real use I have for them is having them take a bullet from the suppression bureau or that one chick (and maybe some rites?). Which makes sense to have them be a limited supply for those cases - giving you ablative members that you don't mind shedding before actually useful cult members. I guess I'd like if they had some sort of role outside of that though since those cases don't come up that often at all for me.

I've eaten a couple for ascensions / fed them to the Spider Door when my good expeditions dried up and I didn't have a mirror yet.

Admittedly, it only takes a little more time and a coin to eat a hireling, but still.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
Somewhere in one of the pre-release interviews Alexis Kennedy sited an urban fantasy webcomic as a particular influence on Cultist Simulator. I read some of it, really enjoyed it, then completely lost track of it.

There were strips involving:

- A demon who prefers imitating his human hosts exactly because it's more of a challenge than the Exorcist routine.

- A country where everyone's birth name is a state secret and everyone uses pseudonyms.

- A phone game that samples names from the players contact list and also involves sinister hooded creatures.

Ring any bells for anyone?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I'm torn between doing a Moth or Heart ascension. Moth would probably fit more in with the Dancer start, but Thunderskin cult are such fun folk.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Looks like it comes out at noon CST?

I was hoping for midnight EST, but that might not be healthy for me. :v:

Also for some reason I was thinking the ascensions were Heart and Winter. Obviously I'll be doing both, but Moth Exalts are probably superior in expedition terms. There'll always be a chance of failure for 10-power dudes to fail at destroying evidence, right? So you really, really don't want to send your precious Exalts there? That would make Heart more useful for cult business because mulching notoriety is always handy, even if it's perfectly safe.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 16, 2018

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Heart cultists are so goddamn good. They're some of the only ones who have virtually no repercussions for failing at their job.

Also their cult seems fun. They're just out to party hard, no one needs to get hurt.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Heart cultists are so goddamn good. They're some of the only ones who have virtually no repercussions for failing at their job.

Also their cult seems fun. They're just out to party hard, no one needs to get hurt.

Stop. The Rock. Can't Stop The Rock.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

ZeusJupitar posted:

Somewhere in one of the pre-release interviews Alexis Kennedy sited an urban fantasy webcomic as a particular influence on Cultist Simulator. I read some of it, really enjoyed it, then completely lost track of it.

There were strips involving:

- A demon who prefers imitating his human hosts exactly because it's more of a challenge than the Exorcist routine.

- A country where everyone's birth name is a state secret and everyone uses pseudonyms.

- A phone game that samples names from the players contact list and also involves sinister hooded creatures.

Ring any bells for anyone?

quote:

These things number among its influences: ADARKROOM, Doodle God, the Kittens Game, Lord Dunsany, CS Lewis, Ars Magica, the Secret Knots, and of course the inconsolable, inevitable, HP Lovecraft.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm not sure what a Moth ascension would entail since Moth is all about confusion, darkness, and buzzing in the brain. Those are usually not the things you desire when you want power, hah. Maybe you just trip balls constantly once you become an entity of pure confusion.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Speedball posted:

I'm not sure what a Moth ascension would entail since Moth is all about confusion, darkness, and buzzing in the brain. Those are usually not the things you desire when you want power, hah. Maybe you just trip balls constantly once you become an entity of pure confusion.

The text hints we've gotten so far seems to hint at bodily change as in that you turn into a huge lowercase-"m" moth person

I don't know why that'd be desirable, but the option's there

e: Your Moth cultists don't seem to be particularly confused, despite wielding said power, so I think Moth is more about bringing change, chaos, and confusion, as opposed to falling victim to confusion yourself (Fascination death)

Also since Fascination cards have the Moth aspect, you can use them to upgrade your cultists early

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Oct 16, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Also the Moth both protects and finds secrets, the latter of which is obviously appealing to every Simulated Cultist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Tehan posted:

The Secret Notes.

Thanks. The buzzing in my brain abates for the time being.