Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Phrosphor posted:

Is it normal for review embargo's for console games to be right up to the release date?

It is. I used to think it was a sure sign that a game was bad, but BLOPS4 had its embargo up to release day and it ended up getting really good reviews, so who knows!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Al Borland Corpse posted:

Hey maybe they learned their lesson, after they did the same with Chrono Trigger on Steam and everyone complained so much that they actually fixed it

Nope.

Though supposedly the dumb FF6 mobile port on steam has/had a GBA ROM buried in it so :shrug:

Literally the only upside to the mobile port of FF6 is they finally made Cyan's SwdTech skills charge *after* you select them rather than the "sit here and waste your entire team's actions" setup they originally gave his skills for some insane reason. And I'm sure there are romhacks for the SNES and GBA versions for that fix.

Steve Yun posted:

I will fully own up to being unreasonable about it because everything else about the game seemed fine.

Dragon Quest XI also has a whole city of people who rhymed but it didn’t piss me off, maybe they just wrote better rhyme

At first I thought you meant Hotto and how everyone spoke in Haiku but then I remembered the place you're referring to and yeah, the writing just managed to do it well without coming across as (too) forced.

The Haikus were better though.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Stan Taylor posted:

Why doesn't that dude just get a real job and stop posting? How embarrasing for him lmao.

he still has sycophantic hangers-on who complain about polygon's SJW cabal for banning him. He's not just a sex pest, he's a creep opportunist who's willing to ally with and appeal directly to cryptofascist incels.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I had to look up who this nick guy was and lol

https://kotaku.com/polygon-parts-ways-with-nick-robinson-following-twitter-1797735272

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

I love this came about because he was making GBS threads on the Overcooked Switch port.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Rirse posted:

I love this came about because he was making GBS threads on the Overcooked Switch port.

Nintendo is extremely good and I hope they continue to ruin lives for bad videogame internet people

Phrosphor posted:

Is it normal for review embargo's for console games to be right up to the release date?

Most devs that have a lot of confidence in their games will usually have embargo lifted a few days before release. Game reviews not going live til the day of isn't always a sign that the game will be bad (like Bethesda for instance, who has the loving worst media relations team in existence and almost tanked gamed like Prey and DOOM due to this practice) it's certainly a cautionary thing to look out for. The chance the game sucks is def greater for a "day of" embargo than the ones that release reviews much earlier in advance.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Weedle posted:

Says $100 for me.

Still seems like a great deal. If you need some Joy-Cons you might as well grab Super Mario Party for $20.

Unless you go to Best Buy, it's hard to find joycons for $80. I've seen the Red/Blue ones his $65 frequently enough

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Child of Light is a fun RPG with some co-op* with beautiful painted backdrops and a fighting system wholesale lifted from the Grandia which is absolutely not a bad thing. The rhyming thing is gently caress awful but if you play RPG games for the plot you get what you deserve.

*Don't know if the switch version has it

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Barudak posted:

a fighting system wholesale lifted from the Grandia which is absolutely not a bad thing.

Sounds like I need to play Grandia!

I beat The Way tonight and boy howdy did that game go to poo poo at the end. Retro-flavored games should not make the switch chug.

The first two thirds were a lot of fun, though!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

Sounds like I need to play Grandia!

I have good news, they're re-releasing Grandia 1 and 2 onto the switch soon. Why is Grandia 3 not included in the bundle? Who even knows!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Barudak posted:

if you play RPG games for the plot you get what you deserve.

this, except gameplay

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Psst hey everyone, The Missing is really really good so far and I'm enjoying it. I didn't get too far into it, but the mechanics of the puzzle solving are about as cool and interesting as they are disturbing. The wrecking ball area was especially cool to figure out.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

BaDandy posted:

Psst hey everyone, The Missing is really really good so far and I'm enjoying it. I didn't get too far into it, but the mechanics of the puzzle solving are about as cool and interesting as they are disturbing. The wrecking ball area was especially cool to figure out.

I actually finished it earlier today. It's super good, I also highly recommend it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I played the FF5 and 6 mobile ports and they're fine. 5 was really nice to have on the phone.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The horrible remaster of the sprites and UI is too much for me on the mobile ports. Those versions of the games look hideous.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They also don't come with dialog skip or fast-forward or some equivalent which is genuinely dissapointing. I don't care about FFV's plot, I'm here to try some dumb new combination.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Those versions of the games look hideous.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It makes me legitimately sad/angry how hard they butchered the graphics on those ports

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Is okami better on the ps4 or the switch? I've also been wondering about under tale but I've finished it ages ago on the pc

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Is okami better on the ps4 or the switch? I've also been wondering about under tale but I've finished it ages ago on the pc

PS4 for graphics for sure, it's 4K/1080p depending on your model and has a more consistent framerate.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
It used to be that a review embargo right up to the release date was a bad sign, but a lot of companies now do this out of principle so it's absolutely not necessarily the case any more.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
4K is a scam, the human eye can't see higher than 360p

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
My eyes are so bad that when I blink I get frame drops

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Phrosphor posted:

Is it normal for review embargo's for console games to be right up to the release date? That Starlink game comes out tomorrow (16th) unless I am reading things wrong and I can't anything but previews of the first half an hour of gameplay. It looks like fun if you get the digital edition, but I don't want to go for something that is super shallow as I think it is going to turn out to be. The lack of reviews the day before it comes out adds to my concern considerably. I wouldn't dare preorder anything these days, especially from Ubi, but am I just out of touch or is weird that no reviews have been published yet.

Edit: Fixed the post looking like I was having a stroke while typing it.

It's normal for review embargo to be day before release

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo5faKUavIQ

Seen this and the GameXplain review, general unleasing seem to be good gameplay, great looking well produced worlds, with the downside that the core loop could be a bit grindy and repetitive with you doing the same tasks in general to liberate areas of planets so ymmv depending on how much you like doing that kind of thing.

Also both reviewers were surprised by the depth of the strategy elements

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Your Computer posted:

It makes me legitimately sad/angry how hard they butchered the graphics on those ports

The best/worst part is that the artists thought the new sprites looked better despite being extremely lazy edits of the FFD character sprites.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

The Saddest Rhino posted:

It's a PS2 game, it's runs perfectly on the Switch. This comes down to which system you'd rather play it on, but keep in mind that it only has a digital release in the US unless you want to import a copy from Japan, which is all in english anyway.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the switch version has a touch screen for the paint brush

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Evil Fluffy posted:

The best/worst part is that the artists thought the new sprites looked better despite being extremely lazy edits of the FFD character sprites.
Everyone in involved in it, from the people who greenlit the remakes to the artists to the people who published them should be ashamed.

For those who haven't seen/read them, these articles detail just what a clusterfuck of bad these remakes are:
https://www.fortressofdoors.com/doing-an-hd-remake-the-right-way/
https://www.fortressofdoors.com/doing-an-hd-remake-the-right-way-ffvi-edition/

highlights include multiple art styles, bilinear filtering, a 1280x768 locked resolution with stretching and badly tiling textures with obvious seams. It doesn't just look bland, it's offensively lazily made :cripes:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1051819990582726658?s=19

Someone was asking for this recently. I'm surprised they bothered.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I killed the Ender Dragon and beat(!?) minecraft for the first time ever yesterday. It was surprisingly hard, but still mostly about preparation.

Edit: thats a really odd choice for console bundle. Somebody post the sicko guy, but it's 1,2, Switch and the window is mostly covered with blinds and theres a whole lot more yesses

Edit: because noted mysteriously-not-a-pack-in game "1,2, Switch" is being cuckholded by other, superior pack-ins you see

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Oct 15, 2018

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
A bundle and custom Switch for a port of a 6 year old game is cool I guess.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Reality Pisser posted:

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1051819990582726658?s=19

Someone was asking for this recently. I'm surprised they bothered.

I would have bet the farm that this would 100% never ever happen so I'm really surprised.

Licarn posted:

A bundle and custom Switch for a port of a 6 year old game is cool I guess.

it might be old but an honest to god portable Diablo is going to be a big deal for some people, especially since Blizzard didn't skimp on anything for it. The fact that a mainline Blizzard game is on a Nintendo console at all is pretty remarkable.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Starcraft for the n64 does exist though.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Blizzard is the guys who do Overwatch, right?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

Blizzard is the guys who do Overwatch, right?

yeah but there's no way Overwatch would come over to Switch. In terms of the work involved I think the devs have said "we already have to update 3 goddamn versions so gently caress a 4th"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Obvious solution: cancel support for the Xbone

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

DLC Inc posted:

yeah but there's no way Overwatch would come over to Switch. In terms of the work involved I think the devs have said "we already have to update 3 goddamn versions so gently caress a 4th"

Oh darn. It's cool that they're digging some stuff out of their back catalog to put on the Switch for their hardcore fans tho

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Al Borland Corpse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo5faKUavIQ

Seen this and the GameXplain review, general unleasing seem to be good gameplay, great looking well produced worlds, with the downside that the core loop could be a bit grindy and repetitive with you doing the same tasks in general to liberate areas of planets so ymmv depending on how much you like doing that kind of thing.

Also both reviewers were surprised by the depth of the strategy elements

It is going to be a great few weeks.

StarLink
Dark Souls
Diabo 3

Can't loving wait!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm excited to play Diablo on my Nintendo Switch :yeah:

That's a hella low effort bundle though.