Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Yeah, if there'd been some kind of actual resolution or closure it could have been a pretty ballsy ending, but it leaves pretty much everything unanswered and having it be because the smartest man in the world made a mistake is just boring.

The smartest and most contrived. I still don't get why he went back for Esmenet; it's hinted that the sranc meat changed him, but it's very poorly established and vanishes as soon as it appears, so it seems Bakker just wanted to have all the main characters together for the big ending and didn't care much about how it happened. I think one of the reasons the author leaves so much in the dark is that it would seem dumb and forced if it was part of the narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
It's probably because Bakker spent 25 years writing the first trilogy and it was pretty darn good, but then once he couldn't reskin a real historical event any longer and had to rely on his own imagination - he had no loving clue what he was doing and fell back on the modern hack cliché of ripping off Tolkien and filling in the gaps with snuff scenes.

The worst part is that he wasn't even good at either of these: so the blatant ripoffs are bad and the snuff is laughable and we're all just left wishing he hadn't rushed these out the door quite so hard and fast.

:argh:

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Rime posted:

It's probably because Bakker spent 25 years writing the first trilogy and it was pretty darn good, but then once he couldn't reskin a real historical event any longer and had to rely on his own imagination - he had no loving clue what he was doing and fell back on the modern hack cliché of ripping off Tolkien and filling in the gaps with snuff scenes.

The worst part is that he wasn't even good at either of these: so the blatant ripoffs are bad and the snuff is laughable and we're all just left wishing he hadn't rushed these out the door quite so hard and fast.

:argh:

Ripping of Tolkien summaries 50% of all fantasy writers, the other 49% are writing a book about their latest rpg session.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Writing about their sexual fantasies summarises 100% of them.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

ChubbyChecker posted:

Writing about their sexual fantasies summarises 100% of them.

Now now, there's no weird sex in Brandon Sanderson.

Although...mormon, so maybe his kinks are just really mild.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Now now, there's no weird sex in Brandon Sanderson.

Although...mormon, so maybe his kinks are just really mild.

Or so unspeakable and vile that any page or screen would catch fire then melt into sulphur is he ever put them down.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Kinky poo poo is fine for Mormons as long as the people involved are married. No sin if everyone involved is consenting and sealed for all eternity! :byoscience:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Rime posted:

It's probably because Bakker spent 25 years writing the first trilogy and it was pretty darn good

what was good about it.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

what was good about it.

The part with the holes in the ground

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

various cheeses posted:

The part with the holes in the ground

Not really.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

what was good about it.

The magic theory and system of the setting is legitimately cool and interesting. Sure, it makes everyone else pointless and pretty much necessitated that Kellhus had to -also- be the bestest mage evarrr, but it had punch and depth.

The dragons were kind of cool, even if they really don't fit the setting.

The nonmen were done decently. Mekeritrig was a fun rear end in a top hat to watch, and among the series of anti-climaxes of the conclusion, him being offed like a punk was one of the lamest.

Even Maithanet was interesting. A flawed instrument that still managed to subvert a whole faith. I felt it was kind of bullshit that he just faded into the background for the second trilogy. He'd have made a very cool POV character.

And....well, that's pretty much it.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

the homo barbarian was cool

e: and i like zisek too

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Still mad that helicopters weren't a thing in this series. That was the raddest theory to read about.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Sephyr posted:

The magic theory and system of the setting is legitimately cool and interesting. Sure, it makes everyone else pointless and pretty much necessitated that Kellhus had to -also- be the bestest mage evarrr, but it had punch and depth.

The dragons were kind of cool, even if they really don't fit the setting.

The nonmen were done decently. Mekeritrig was a fun rear end in a top hat to watch, and among the series of anti-climaxes of the conclusion, him being offed like a punk was one of the lamest.

Even Maithanet was interesting. A flawed instrument that still managed to subvert a whole faith. I felt it was kind of bullshit that he just faded into the background for the second trilogy. He'd have made a very cool POV character.

And....well, that's pretty much it.

that's lame

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

*very nasal voice* The magic theory and system of the setting is legitimately cool and interesting.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I greatly enjoyed enjoyed the idea of alien shock troops crash landing in a medieval world and loving poo poo up, and the slow reveal of it. sci-fi and fantasy is very rarely blended, and very rarely blended well when it is.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Rime posted:

I greatly enjoyed enjoyed the idea of alien shock troops crash landing in a medieval world and loving poo poo up, and the slow reveal of it. sci-fi and fantasy is very rarely blended, and very rarely blended well when it is.

i think that it was done best in he-man

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

It's actually done best in the Mahābhārata, closely followed by Might and Magic 7.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It's actually done best in the Mahābhārata, closely followed by Might and Magic 7.

Thank you.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

And at 1.2 million words it's positively light-weight by the standards of epic fantasy!

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I read this series because the book barn told me Malazan and Black Company were both good, really long fantasy series and I felt like reading something new. Both of those were p good and fun even with their idiosyncrasies.

This thing was just hosed.

E: so book barn is batting 2/3, that’s good

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Malazan, Black Company, and Prince of Nothing all share turning into unreadable trash near the end, Bakker just saw how long it took the other two to get there and went "hold my beer".

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Rime posted:

Malazan, Black Company, and Prince of Nothing all share turning into unreadable trash near the end, Bakker just saw how long it took the other two to get there and went "hold my beer".

This is p accurate actually. But I didn’t ever regret buying the Malazan or Black company series even when they got to wtf land. Bakker on the other hand, I kept forcing myself to read because surely it gets better? Oops.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.
I don't get why people don't like the second series. The second trilogy is a comedy..... right?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The Second Aristocrats

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
The mirth came swirling down.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Rime posted:

guess what pal: they're unreadable trash at the start too!!!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Sephyr posted:

The mirth came swirling down.

Both Bakker and Erikson overuse "preternatural" to an irritating degree.

There are no sub-continents in PoN, which is a blessing. Just lots of people with dodgy corneas.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Suck my marmoreal dick

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Just popping into this thread to mention that finishing this series was one of the bigger regrets of my literary life. Thanks guys!

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Jarvisi posted:

Just popping into this thread to mention that finishing this series was one of the bigger regrets of my literary life. Thanks guys!

That says more about how much you have read than anything else.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Jarvisi posted:

I see you haven't picked up The Expanse yet.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I also saw the Malazan recommendation in the OP and thought sure but honestly I'm not sure I'm going to make it through the vowel soup that is every loving name in this first book to really enjoy it. I hate when authors do this poo poo because it's fantasy.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Orv posted:

I also saw the Malazan recommendation in the OP and thought sure but honestly I'm not sure I'm going to make it through the vowel soup that is every loving name in this first book to really enjoy it. I hate when authors do this poo poo because it's fantasy.

Characters' names don't make a book bad.

Orv
May 4, 2011

ChubbyChecker posted:

No but that plus the thesaurus driven pseudo Glen Cook prose makes it sort of a chore to read. The actual world that's being explored seems cool so I've kept reading, just shy of half done now and I don't hate it but it's not gripping me terribly tight. To be fair I don't suppose Gardens of the Moon did either at first, very much a back third kind of book.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

PoN is better as an audiobook, not only because the narrator is great but also because it helps greatly to hear someone pronounce the alphabet soup names.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

The Ninth Layer posted:

PoN is better as an audiobook, not only because the narrator is great but also because it helps greatly to hear someone pronounce the alphabet soup names.

Yeah.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Plus you can do something useful at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ChubbyChecker posted:

They really do.