Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

Expect My Mom posted:

I'm curious when you say Giorno isn't worthy yet, because I struggle to think what big changes he goes through or lessons he learns other than dealing with loss, but my memory of Part 5 is p. Bad

But yeah ultimately its space rock that gives you a magic ghost so lack of consistency is fine, but through a meta lens, I feel you can chalk it up to writing a story week to week and it would be less of a headache if they change it rather than adhere closely. They're getting bolder and bolder with pacing and taking good liberties with presenting scenes to the point where the 39 episodes quality crunch is the only thing keeping me from saying the anime is of totally equal quality. (The Part 4 blurays arent on Crunchyroll right? That's never been a thing they do I'm pretty sure)

In a physical sense, Gold Experience has a clear point of growth in the Baby Face fight, where Giorno discovers his ability to make body parts. Our dude himself describes it as "the birth of something greater than before."

In terms of emotional growth, I'll admit that Giorno is quite static in terms of personality. But, what does change are the deeds Giorno has to his name. The bizarre adventure of Part 5 is about Giorno following through on his dream, and by the end of it, he's transformed from the kid who talks about his lofty life goals to the guy who actually went out and did them, and I feel like that should count for something.

Still, I'll admit this emotional side is one of the weaknesses of Part 5. While the rest of Team Bruno are having fun together in group scenes, Giorno isn't very expressive and the story hardly ever lets him interact with the rest of the gang outside of combat. While the first half of the story is supposed to be about Giorno getting the rest of Buccellati's gang to accept him as a teammate and friend, this is conveyed mostly through clumsy monologues at the end of fights, where, one-by-one, the members have monologues to the effect of, "I didn't like Giorno before, but I do now."

And, from a meta perspective, we can look at the scene where Gold Experience Requiem is born. When Gold Experience first stabs itself in the chest with the arrow, it tears a bleeding gash in GE's chest much like Black Sabbath's arrow did, and then the arrow falls to the ground. Seeing this, Diavolo comes to the conclusion that the arrow rejected Giorno, so we can imagine that if someone unworthy did try to go Requiem, it might look something like that (except Diavolo ended up being wrong, but oh well).

BaDandy posted:

He goes from being all about his dream to protecting his loved ones (the rest of the gang) by the time he stabs himself with the Requiem arrow. It's not really said outright, but you can kinda tell it stopped being about taking over the gang around the time it was becoming clear just how bad Diavolo was and the lengths he'd go to to protect his identity.

I agree, and actually you can see how much Giorno cares about others because even though he's normally rather stoic, because throughout Golden Wind, Giorno has his most emotional moments when he realizes he screwed up and got someone killed. It's his regret over the innocent old janitor's death that convinces Koichi that Giorno's inherited the Joestar spirit, and in Mystery of King Crimson, Giorno loses his cool when he realizes his healing didn't work and Buccellati doesn't have a pulse. Even after Buccellati gets back up, Giorno's so nervous that he's the only one who isn't sitting down and eating lunch with the rest of the gang in the next scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
That's another thing, his growth is tied to him learning more about Stands and how they work, which comes up with Black Sabbath, Man in the Mirror, Babyface, those bits about putting "limits" on your stand when he learns what's up with Buccellati and during the Green Day fight, and it culminates with GER, I think.

Johnny Joestar posted:

that's entirely the point of black sabbath, yes

it's a trial by fire for anyone looking to get into the gang

:rimshot:

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

STONE COLD 64 posted:

giorno's truly dio's son. He, like his father, saw a familial structure to infiltrate, and depose of those in command so he could sit atop it. Giorno the Invader.

Part 5 would be even better if it involved Giorno burning Diavolo’s pet to piss him off

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Nina posted:

Part 5 would be even better if it involved Giorno burning Diavolo’s pet to piss him off

It'd be super hosed up if Giorno burned Doppio, true.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Lol at Mista doing the Black Sabbath test. Like he fucks up, gets magical bullet gnomes that don't shut up but luckily has a gun he can just shoot the stand with

Daxing Dan posted:

In a physical sense, Gold Experience has a clear point of growth in the Baby Face fight, where Giorno discovers his ability to make body parts. Our dude himself describes it as "the birth of something greater than before."

In terms of emotional growth, I'll admit that Giorno is quite static in terms of personality. But, what does change are the deeds Giorno has to his name. The bizarre adventure of Part 5 is about Giorno following through on his dream, and by the end of it, he's transformed from the kid who talks about his lofty life goals to the guy who actually went out and did them, and I feel like that should count for something.

Still, I'll admit this emotional side is one of the weaknesses of Part 5. While the rest of Team Bruno are having fun together in group scenes, Giorno isn't very expressive and the story hardly ever lets him interact with the rest of the gang outside of combat. While the first half of the story is supposed to be about Giorno getting the rest of Buccellati's gang to accept him as a teammate and friend, this is conveyed mostly through clumsy monologues at the end of fights, where, one-by-one, the members have monologues to the effect of, "I didn't like Giorno before, but I do now."

And, from a meta perspective, we can look at the scene where Gold Experience Requiem is born. When Gold Experience first stabs itself in the chest with the arrow, it tears a bleeding gash in GE's chest much like Black Sabbath's arrow did, and then the arrow falls to the ground. Seeing this, Diavolo comes to the conclusion that the arrow rejected Giorno, so we can imagine that if someone unworthy did try to go Requiem, it might look something like that (except Diavolo ended up being wrong, but oh well).

I agree, and actually you can see how much Giorno cares about others because even though he's normally rather stoic, because throughout Golden Wind, Giorno has his most emotional moments when he realizes he screwed up and got someone killed. It's his regret over the innocent old janitor's death that convinces Koichi that Giorno's inherited the Joestar spirit, and in Mystery of King Crimson, Giorno loses his cool when he realizes his healing didn't work and Buccellati doesn't have a pulse. Even after Buccellati gets back up, Giorno's so nervous that he's the only one who isn't sitting down and eating lunch with the rest of the gang in the next scene.
God I'm so excited for next 37 weeks, thank you

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I only read part 5 in the bad translation and ended up feeling pretty iffy about the Passione and Giorno's personality in general, but hopefully seeing all this animated will put it in a better light for me. I still think Giorno's first interaction with Buccelati, where he straight up tells him his whole plan is pretty stupid though. It's very reminiscent of Jonathan and Speedwagon, but I think they still could have made it not quite so on the nose about what his intentions are. Though, I guess if they did it wouldn't be Jojo.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?
Me too!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the anime is doing a good job of giving giorno more character already so i'm really optimistic about it

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Expect My Mom posted:

Lol at Mista doing the Black Sabbath test. Like he fucks up, gets magical bullet gnomes that don't shut up but luckily has a gun he can just shoot the stand with

You just know that immediately after this he's like "oh hell YEAH these little guys RULE" and totally rolls with it, like. God. I love these dinguses so much.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I almost hope the anime does a crazy retcon like Fugo staying with the gangstars.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think that would be maybe TOO much.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Improbable Lobster posted:

I almost hope the anime does a crazy retcon like Fugo staying with the gangstars.
Every fight after that would need to find a way to bench Fugo because Purple Haze is bonkers.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I just hope they find something to do with Fugo. Like, at all.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Best we can really hope for is an OVA of the Fugo LN.

So has anyone really picked up on any foreshadowing in the OP? Most I’ve got is Fugo being the lead on the Man in the Mirror fight and maaaaybe Narancia’s death being fastforwarded through.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

So has anyone really picked up on any foreshadowing in the OP? Most I’ve got is Fugo being the lead on the Man in the Mirror fight and maaaaybe Narancia’s death being fastforwarded through.

Fugo and Abbachio are both reflected in mirrors, the blood drips at the start are the blood drips used by polnareff and giorno to detect KC, rolling stone takes the form of abbachio's partner, and it pulls the same thing The End Of The WORLD did with all the people who die being on the same side of the corridor group shot

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Funky Valentine posted:

Every fight after that would need to find a way to bench Fugo because Purple Haze is bonkers.

Fugo's the guy with the weed

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

ChaosArgate posted:

there's a lot sand, and statues breaking in the beginning referring to rolling stones

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

ChaosArgate posted:

This video goes over it pretty well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smGiITTxA4g

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Trish's pose huddled up under a cloak looks familiar, I think Diavolo makes that pose at some point?
There's also the seven stars between the group after that, which could represent the seven living members of La Squadra di Esecuzione

Augus fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 14, 2018

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yeah

from when he's waiting in vience for them to arrive before we've seen what he looks like. I hope david redoes his fight with Bruno, with like, small hints at his appearance so he's not just this Shadow Man

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

when angelo is inside the grocery store robber you can see keicho tonio and rohan in the background of the crowd of people watching it unfold, which wasn't present in the manga so i wouldnt be surprised to see david add cool stuff like that

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Gonna finish catching up now:

Josuke's final gambit is that good JoJo poo poo I love.
Is the fruit appraiser this part's "bro" character? after like five years???
Oh, Jobin's wife goes to the hospital. How many doctor badges does this guy need??
Oh she doesn't know, oh no.
"There is no records of an ambulance leaving during the time of the fire! Nor are there any records of ambulance workers here either! In fact, there isn't an ambulance 3-11!" it tickles me
:stare: drat. Hope Yasuho makes it out of this within the next two chapters.
I know it's par for the course in JoJo, but goddamn, these boys and girls are taking insane amount of brutal damage over a very short period of days and sometimes just hours.
Hrm. Not a good panel when Yasuho woke up. :/
Awwwwwwwwwwwwww poo poo okay gently caress drat needles into eyeballs to extract enemy stand. cool but also super gross.
Wait wait wait wait, so Mitsuba's pregnant, the implication right now is that the fetus was equivalent exchanged for her own health, and now we see her sick AF stand? I'm so pumped for this fight!
What do you mean I've caught up?!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

At least you don't have much longer to wait for the next chapter.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
And then Araki announces a 4 month hiatus

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
He needs that time to get his plot notes together

Night Goat
Oct 24, 2009
Anyone else notice the amount of times the 'chains of fate' strikes over Narancia's face in the new OP? I was so sure it related to his death when I first saw it on Friday and finally had the chance today to go back and check the manga.

Notice the amount of times his body is pierced here? Six times... six chains of fate!

Always love the foreshadowing in the OPs and they really came out with it early here in part 5!

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Is the fruit appraiser this part's "bro" character? after like five years???

He strikes me as being a less assholish Rohan. I think Yasuho is basically the Bro character. Yasubro.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Man that image just makes me sad because I feel like narancia's death was the saddest of the 3 protagonist deaths because of how sudden it was and how there was no chance for anyone to even comprehend what was happening until it was over, just an absolutely brutal way to be executed and not even getting a proper chance to fight back. Fuckin RIP Narancia, he was my favorite character from part 5 and he was one of the few deaths in jojo I didn't know about when I was reading the manga so when it happened I was just like "noooooooooooo"

Semi-related, I remember when I first started reading part 5, I already knew some stuff like Polnareff showing up and for whatever reason I thought that Polnareff was going to turn out to be the leader of the mafia and that Diavolo was some drug pusher trying to take Polnareff out or something

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

He strikes me as being a less assholish Rohan. I think Yasuho is basically the Bro character. Yasubro.

Yasubros before Yasuhos

Night Goat
Oct 24, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

Man that image just makes me sad because I feel like narancia's death was the saddest of the 3 protagonist deaths because of how sudden it was and how there was no chance for anyone to even comprehend what was happening until it was over, just an absolutely brutal way to be executed and not even getting a proper chance to fight back. Fuckin RIP Narancia, he was my favorite character from part 5 and he was one of the few deaths in jojo I didn't know about when I was reading the manga so when it happened I was just like "noooooooooooo"

Semi-related, I remember when I first started reading part 5, I already knew some stuff like Polnareff showing up and for whatever reason I thought that Polnareff was going to turn out to be the leader of the mafia and that Diavolo was some drug pusher trying to take Polnareff out or something

Yasubros before Yasuhos

I know what you mean with Narancia I definitely got that feeling too. It actually seemed really similar to Avdol's death in Part 3. So quick and ruthless and no one had any time to mourn or react at all. I guess Araki just had us all complacent from Part 4 with the Duwang crew staying pretty much completely intact.

Also Yasuho was totally the original Jobro of part 8 but Mamezuku is giving her a good run for it. Still she's the original and the best :colbert:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

What do they use in the official English version when the original says D4C? FaaRP?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Irony Be My Shield posted:

What do they use in the official English version when the original says D4C? FaaRP?

They use D4C (which is what it's called the majority of the time in the original.) They just have Valentine say Filthy Acts At A Reasonable Price as a nod to the real name.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

They won't, but I'd love for him to come back traitor and fill the role of the guy with the exact same stand power as him as it was blatantly intended to be.

ChaosArgate posted:

I think Narancia is just him perceiving carbon dioxide.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

They use D4C (which is what it's called the majority of the time in the original.) They just have Valentine say Filthy Acts At A Reasonable Price as a nod to the real name.

Yeah, FAaaRP is just what he says for his super attack. The best part is that in the codex or whatever for ASB, it says that no one knows what the mysterious acronym D4C stands for.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Johnny Joestar posted:

nothing about requiem stands makes sense and it's a good thing they were dropped by the end of part 5. there was a lot of potential for something cool, like maybe the stands gaining a bit of their own independence inherently and the users having to convince them to fight with them, but what we got kind of sucks. and unlike act stands getting an actually really cool one in part 7 i don't have confidence in requiem stands being workable unless heavily edited.

I kind of liked that requiem stands were incomprehensibly powerful though, chariot alone nearly wiped absolutely everyone the gently caress out and even turtle polnareff is like "what the gently caress is going on here"

but yeah it would be a pain in the rear end to make fights of that level all the time so I can see why araki ditched it

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

But what if... Made in Heaven Requiem?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Made in heaven requiem would just talk with everyone to solve their problems

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

Made in heaven requiem would just talk with everyone to solve their problems

"pucci have you considered that your insane obsession with destiny and a homoerotic vampire stems from your guilt from accidentally selling out your sister to the kkk"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yinlock posted:

"pucci have you considered that your insane obsession with destiny and a homoerotic vampire stems from your guilt from accidentally selling out your sister to the kkk"

"....kabutomushi"

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

On a more serious note... I think we are starting to approach endgame with JoJolion. That probably gets thrown a lot, but the timer is pretty strong and I can't see the story going much further after the New Rokokaka is harvested.

We now know *something* about the Rock People. Some operate on the University Hospital. At the very least, the current enemy, the doctor and his pet from the ski lift fight are almost for sure from that hospital, too. There's one more rock person who operates in there since he was in the van. It's almost sure that Kira's mom was Rokakaka'd. And there's probably more stuff i'm forgetting, but yeah, this hospital seems to be connecting a lot of people and it shouldn't be too long before the final confrontation happens there.

Of course, with this I mean like 3 or 4 years before the end, probably. Five with breaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

But what if... Made in Heaven Requiem?

But Ultimate Made in Heaven Requiem is already in Jorge Joestar