Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me

Arivia posted:

No?

Also lol at calling me of all people a TERF

Hi that was me, exact quote was "the most TERF-y and Techbro person I've ever met, somehow without actually being either of those things".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Look, I'm no fan of the Forgotten Realms either, but I feel like that's going a little far.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Please stop talking about Discord drama, holy poo poo.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Skelettin posted:

Please stop talking about Discord drama, holy poo poo.
Don't you mean Discord discord?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Hey remember when everyone was saying that WotC couldn't really mean eSports when they were talking about eSports?

They were talking about eSports.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?5709-DnDSports-Competitive-Play-With-Prizes

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

dwarf74 posted:

Hey remember when everyone was saying that WotC couldn't really mean eSports when they were talking about eSports?

They were talking about eSports.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?5709-DnDSports-Competitive-Play-With-Prizes

Ya know I was gonna comment on that being such a shitshow with how unbalanced and subjective d&d is, but most fighting games and MOBAs have only a small fraction of competitive characters from their rosters and a bunch of real sports are entirely subjective with judging even if they have scoring metrics, like say figure skating.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Coolness Averted posted:

most fighting games and MOBAs have only a small fraction of competitive characters from their rosters

Modern FGs and most MOBAs go to great lengths to balance their rosters and make every character viable (depending on match-up/picks and bans, obviously). It doesn't work 100% of the time but that statement isn't even remotely true.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I know you people have a bone to pic with DnD but jesus christ don't compare it negatively with loving MOBAs.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Plutonis posted:

I know you people have a bone to pic with DnD but jesus christ don't compare it negatively with loving MOBAs.

Even your bottom of the barrel moba has way more effort put into its design and is a way better game than 5e.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I'd also like to point out I wasn't making GBS threads on mobas, figure skating, fighting games, or RPGS -just pointing out we've had professional competitions in the past that worked despite the obvious difficulties with characters/mechanic balance or vagaries of the winner being open to judge interpretation.
That's without even getting into the :can: with refs and umpires in sports with more clear cut rules and direct competition/win scenarios also being highly subjective and very easily swaying outcomes.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Modern FGs and most MOBAs go to great lengths to balance their rosters and make every character viable (depending on match-up/picks and bans, obviously). It doesn't work 100% of the time but that statement isn't even remotely true.
I can't talk much about fighters (though EVO still had smash as 2 of it's official main events) but at least with MOBAS it's pretty moot what innovations and balance the 'modern games' have when the biggest title isn't very modern, and the other two titles most could name as live games also very clearly have winning characters and others that are completely worthless at any given season, even if they avoid the "Roster of 100+, of which you'll see less than 20 actually used" problem League/Dota have. Tying it back to pen and paper, sure there are also plenty of balanced dungeon crawl games but they're not getting the big e-sport treatment, D&D 5e is.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
As an aside from D&D Esports; I was curious how any DMs here coax players into trying out new systems? I've been thinking of running a pirate/naval based game (thus my questions about rulesets and systems). I know there are various options from adapting Fate to obviously 7th Sea, but I find that D&D, particularly 5e & Pathfinder have such an large audience familiar to them, that sometimes it feels quite daunting to suggest anything different, particularly for comparable fantasy systems/settings. I don't have a problem with running D&D for as flawed as it is, I am also familiar and I can easily get players, but at the same time I like trying new things and forcing certain setting is a square peg, round hole situation. How have you attempted this with your own groups?

Serf
May 5, 2011

SkySteak posted:

As an aside from D&D Esports; I was curious how any DMs here coax players into trying out new systems? I've been thinking of running a pirate/naval based game (thus my questions about rulesets and systems). I know there are various options from adapting Fate to obviously 7th Sea, but I find that D&D, particularly 5e & Pathfinder have such an large audience familiar to them, that sometimes it feels quite daunting to suggest anything different, particularly for comparable fantasy systems/settings. I don't have a problem with running D&D for as flawed as it is, I am also familiar and I can easily get players, but at the same time I like trying new things and forcing certain setting is a square peg, round hole situation. How have you attempted this with your own groups?

i run games online and recruit people interested in playing whatever game i want to run at the time. i've started to get some regulars who seem to be up for trying new games doing this

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

SkySteak posted:

Yeah my best course of action has been to weep uncontrollably at never getting to run non-dnd games for the people I like playing rpgs with. It's not really been a successful technique so far. Otherwise it's purely going online and hoping you find good people that are open to trying other things.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SkySteak posted:

One-shots and pregens. Often people, especially people coming from D&D, overestimate the learning curve of a new system or see the point in trying something knew. D&D can do anything don't you know? But most people will try something for an evening for a laugh that they wouldn't commit to a new campaign for up front, and as they say, the first one's free.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Hey all, been working on something for a bit and was wondering if TG was the place for it.

I've been putting together a Let's Read for Salvatore's War of the Spider Queen series. Since it's very D&D, and I'm planning to break things down in the books into game terms, I figured this might be the place for it, but wanted to check first.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

RickVoid posted:

Hey all, been working on something for a bit and was wondering if TG was the place for it.

I've been putting together a Let's Read for Salvatore's War of the Spider Queen series. Since it's very D&D, and I'm planning to break things down in the books into game terms, I figured this might be the place for it, but wanted to check first.

:justpost:

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Coolness Averted posted:

I'd also like to point out I wasn't making GBS threads on mobas, figure skating, fighting games, or RPGS -just pointing out we've had professional competitions in the past that worked despite the obvious difficulties with characters/mechanic balance or vagaries of the winner being open to judge interpretation.
That's without even getting into the :can: with refs and umpires in sports with more clear cut rules and direct competition/win scenarios also being highly subjective and very easily swaying outcomes.

I can't talk much about fighters (though EVO still had smash as 2 of it's official main events) but at least with MOBAS it's pretty moot what innovations and balance the 'modern games' have when the biggest title isn't very modern, and the other two titles most could name as live games also very clearly have winning characters and others that are completely worthless at any given season, even if they avoid the "Roster of 100+, of which you'll see less than 20 actually used" problem League/Dota have. Tying it back to pen and paper, sure there are also plenty of balanced dungeon crawl games but they're not getting the big e-sport treatment, D&D 5e is.

I mean the things you listed as problems aren't actually problems for a competitive game. D&D has actual "the math doesn't work" problems along with not having that many character options in general

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So due to a thread over on /tg/ I've begun the probably insane process of trying to make a Yugioh RPG that uses a modified form of the actual card game for the combat system*

For the parts outside of combat(and other card specific stuff) I'll probably just use a preexisting somewhat lightweight system, although exactly which one I'm not sure(did see a hack of the Over The Edge earlier for something else entirely that has me potentially interested in that system to modify for this though, but I'm open to suggestions that aren't FATE)

*which funny enough isn't even the first time I have tried to mix a TCG with an RPG, back when I was 10 and got my first D&D version(the old 3rd edition starter set) I tried to make an alternate magic system for it using Magic The Gathering cards as the spells, it went about as well as you'd expect for a 10 year old with little grasp of D&D yet and who was terrible with math anyways

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Coolness Averted posted:

Literally every hero was picked or banned at least once in Dota 2 International 2018.

Obviously many characters aren't very viable during a single meta but generally every hero has at least some sort of niche in dota 2 even if it is a small one.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

drrockso20 posted:

So due to a thread over on /tg/ I've begun the probably insane process of trying to make a Yugioh RPG that uses a modified form of the actual card game for the combat system*

For the parts outside of combat(and other card specific stuff) I'll probably just use a preexisting somewhat lightweight system, although exactly which one I'm not sure(did see a hack of the Over The Edge earlier for something else entirely that has me potentially interested in that system to modify for this though, but I'm open to suggestions that aren't FATE)

*which funny enough isn't even the first time I have tried to mix a TCG with an RPG, back when I was 10 and got my first D&D version(the old 3rd edition starter set) I tried to make an alternate magic system for it using Magic The Gathering cards as the spells, it went about as well as you'd expect for a 10 year old with little grasp of D&D yet and who was terrible with math anyways

Isn't Yugioh kind of infamous for actually being an extremely badly-designed, janky game? In all seriousness, it might honestly be easier for you to make up a serial-numbers-filed-off CCG of your own than to try and hammer a game like that into actually workable shape.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

Isn't Yugioh kind of infamous for actually being an extremely badly-designed, janky game? In all seriousness, it might honestly be easier for you to make up a serial-numbers-filed-off CCG of your own than to try and hammer a game like that into actually workable shape.

I've got some basic ideas on how to balance things out that I'll probably go into later

And I'd say the core of the game's rules and design is fine, it's mostly on a individual card basis that it has problems

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Kai Tave posted:

Also isn't one of the big gimmicks the villains and Yugi were both cheating? Ranging from 'the magic ghost in my necklace lets me intuit the best plays' to
'I literally can make up new cards, see your hand, and kill you in midgame which somehow would also count as you forfeiting?' Or did later seasons move away from that?
It just strikes me as the best way to capture the feel wouldn't really be with a card game, especially a balanced one that took out those mega plays.

Andrast posted:

Literally every hero was picked or banned at least once in Dota 2 International 2018.

Obviously many characters aren't very viable during a single meta but generally every hero has at least some sort of niche in dota 2 even if it is a small one.
That's really cool! I just assumed with the roster as big as League's it was gonna have the same challenges. But much like the tabletop gaming scene it's not like the best designed games wind up with the most marketshare.
Although hasn't warhammer gotten better in recent years? Which I'd assume was partially due to having had competition from better games -and not just other publishers all making dumb mistakes. For the record yeah I do know some of the bigger competitors did make mistakes.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

drrockso20 posted:

I assume you've played Millennium Blades? There's almost certainly something in there to harvest for a project like that.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The article on competitive D&D said that they'd work with a team of DMs to make 15 premade characters and they'll have a banning system like DotA. Who wants to guess how many of those actually end up as viable and how many will regularly be banned by the groups.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Oct 16, 2018

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

This is probably going to be a hilarious mess so I'm all for it

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

SkySteak posted:

I don't coax. I'm the only GM for my 3 groups so I decide what we play.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Andrast posted:

The most hilarious option is that they end up realising they shouldn't have thrown out all the actual game design, and either have to bring back the people who actually care about balance, or more likely just give up and pretend it never happened.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

drrockso20 posted:

I tried to do literally this once.

Once

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Coolness Averted posted:

Also isn't one of the big gimmicks the villains and Yugi were both cheating? Ranging from 'the magic ghost in my necklace lets me intuit the best plays' to
'I literally can make up new cards, see your hand, and kill you in midgame which somehow would also count as you forfeiting?' Or did later seasons move away from that?
It just strikes me as the best way to capture the feel wouldn't really be with a card game, especially a balanced one that took out those mega plays.

That's really cool! I just assumed with the roster as big as League's it was gonna have the same challenges. But much like the tabletop gaming scene it's not like the best designed games wind up with the most marketshare.
Although hasn't warhammer gotten better in recent years? Which I'd assume was partially due to having had competition from better games -and not just other publishers all making dumb mistakes. For the record yeah I do know some of the bigger competitors did make mistakes.

There's some things I'm thinking of adding in to bring in some of that craziness the Manga and Anime had

Countblanc posted:

I assume you've played Millennium Blades? There's almost certainly something in there to harvest for a project like that.

Actually I haven't, but I did take a look at it's rulebook and an RPG supplement that was made as well, and there's some stuff I might be borrowing for this

Andrast posted:

Competitive D&D or my Children's Card Games RPG concept?

Covok posted:

Once

The Yugioh idea, or the MtG one?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Make the RPG about the YGO arcs before the Duel Monsters game was introduced instead and make it about psychotic gambles like nitroglycerin ice hockey or stabbing your hands to get money.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Covok posted:

Once

I ran a Yu-gi-oh RPG once. I made point values for every card released at that point, with attributes on the side that you could buy like Heart of the Cards (Once per game per level, just draw whatever card you want) and Cheater (Heart of the Cards, but much cheaper, and your opponent gets to do the same.) The point values were biased towards making it so that the decks in the show actually made sense, super powerful cards were run as one-ofs because you just couldn't afford multiple copies.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oh man I remember Yugi had a crocodile demon take Kaiba's soul to egyptian hell on the early manga too iirc

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Competitive D&D or my Children's Card Games RPG concept?

Competitive D&D

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
So I actually clicked the link to see what this competitive D&D was going to be and was interested to see that it's not like the old tournament modules but is instead a PvP battle arena.

And apparently there will be a pick/ban thing? But how does that work... Will we never get to see any wizards or bards because those are the obvious best bans?

I wonder how much influence Wizards has over the content of the character builds and the team composition. The teams "competing" seem like they are not really competing so much as participating in a marketing stunt. When they have an open tournament with cash prizes and SA or 4chan or whoever enters a team of the most unbelievable twinked out minmaxed bullshit, then I'll believe it's a competition instead of a deceptive ad campaign.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
They've apparently created some 15 pre-built characters so everyone will choose from those. No clue what those prebuilds -are- yet.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

NinjaDebugger posted:

I ran a Yu-gi-oh RPG once. I made point values for every card released at that point, with attributes on the side that you could buy like Heart of the Cards (Once per game per level, just draw whatever card you want) and Cheater (Heart of the Cards, but much cheaper, and your opponent gets to do the same.) The point values were biased towards making it so that the decks in the show actually made sense, super powerful cards were run as one-ofs because you just couldn't afford multiple copies.

This actually hits a lot of the same ideas that are being discussed over in the /tg/ thread(helps that many of them have been used in various video games for the franchise), how did you calculate point values for cards, cause right now I'm still sorting that part out

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jimbozig posted:

I wonder how much influence Wizards has over the content of the character builds and the team composition. The teams "competing" seem like they are not really competing so much as participating in a marketing stunt. When they have an open tournament with cash prizes and SA or 4chan or whoever enters a team of the most unbelievable twinked out minmaxed bullshit, then I'll believe it's a competition instead of a deceptive ad campaign.
This is the reason I think we'll end up seeing The Caster Crew represented - there's no chance they don't tell teams to make sure there's diverse classes. Honestly I expect people to play suboptimally too for the same reason, even taking prebuilt characters into consideration.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

This actually hits a lot of the same ideas that are being discussed over in the /tg/ thread(helps that many of them have been used in various video games for the franchise), how did you calculate point values for cards, cause right now I'm still sorting that part out

Calculate? I just eyeballed it. Decided what players would get for decks, then priced things so that they couldn't play nothing but strong creatures and broken stuff. This was before duel city, though.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Don’t give every card a point value. Hell, run it fairly narratively.

-Deck Theme: Bug, Dinosaur, Ocean, Sexy Lady, Cute, Wizards, ect

-Deck Style: Raw power, rare cards, tricksy bullshit, card theft, instant win, crazy combo

-Signature Cards: Blue Eyes White Magician & Castlebreaker Turtle, Monster Girl Sisters, Cartoon Archangel

-Secret Ancient Civilization Power: Sees through walls/backs of cards, memory rewriting, cheaty teleportation

Your card game tools are based mostly on your deck style, with a few bonus things based on theme and signature cards. Have a running narrative for the duel, and maybe throw in like power of friendship or cheat/countercheat type stuff that characters not currently engaged in the duel can do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

drrockso20 posted:

The Yugioh idea, or the MtG one?

The Yu-Gi-Oh! one.

NinjaDebugger posted:

That...actually sounds kind of cool.

Actually, that is basically that Japanese game that I was almost in from one of the forum members here. He planned to translate as he went but...well, you can kind of see the logistic issuses in that. Translating an RPG book from japanese to english, even if you can speak both, takes time and effort and life affords us little "free" units of those in this capitalistic hellhole where we all simply commodities sold and bought by corporations like we were something as worthless as a candy bar or a condom.

I think the game was called "Card Spirit" and it seemed dope as hell, yo.