Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The_Doctor posted:

Who was it here said the double VIP points are never coming? Because...

:siren: Double VIP Points October 15 - 31 :siren:

:toot:

Yeah. I just got the email. They hadn't put it on the calendar. Just "select" items. Good news!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I just found this thread.

I am a Lego Technic guy...is this the right thread for me, or not?

I also have some of the non-technic stuff, some Star Wars from back then, and currently some Minecraft stuff because I like Minecraft and I find (some) of the kits funny, allthough imo most or all of them are much too busy.

My main interest is Lego Technic, though.....so this my home?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

tuo posted:

I also have some of the non-technic stuff, some Star Wars from back then, and currently some Minecraft stuff because I like Minecraft and I find (some) of the kits funny, allthough imo most or all of them are much too busy.

Yes. Welcome, friend.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

tuo posted:

Yes, but be warned, we'll likely sell you on Ninjago City and the Saturn V before the year is out.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

tuo posted:

Can you explain the technic pins? Not a test. Just curious and confused about how they work and how the color coding works. I know the axles are black for even and grey for odd. But the other stuff I don't really get.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The pin colors are to designate friction. Grey is no friction, black and blue get friction. I think they prefer blue these days to make them easier to sort.

I also think they're phasing out grey in preference to vanilla.

Though there's always exceptions, sometimes you'll get stuff in yellow or red because reasons.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It's been awhile since i got a technic set - they're a lot of fun to build and it's neat seeing the moving components come together, but they can get pretty bulky and don't look quite as nice to display. (Although they're getting much better with the designs) Now I kind of want one. Shoot.

Waltzing Along posted:

Can you explain the technic pins? Not a test. Just curious and confused about how they work and how the color coding works. I know the axles are black for even and grey for odd. But the other stuff I don't really get.

I think they have different amounts of friction? Forgot what tipped me off to it, but from what I remember the light grey ones are pretty good for anything that turns, and the black ones are for firmer connections.

At least for the double headed pins, Not quite as sure about the axle pins? I have no idea what the names of most technic components are.

e: beaten

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Waltzing Along posted:

I know the axles are black for even and grey for odd.

:aaaaa:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Plastik posted:

Yes, but be warned, we'll likely sell you on Ninjago City and the Saturn V before the year is out.

The Saturn V is cool and good. I built it, dropped it trying to move it, then rebuilt it, and still like it really much :)

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Waltzing Along posted:

Good question. My experience from current sets (and not knowing the i18n names of verything):

color of axles: gently caress you

color of pins: black 1-1 pinchers, blue: 1-2 pincher-double pincher, 1-2 red, cross-thing-to-double-pincher, 1x1 blue means one side pincher, other side cross....light brown => everyone's guess.

There's also the 1-pincers with the other side beeing the short one you can dock stuff on.

As you might understand, I am not fluent in Lego.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

xzzy posted:

The pin colors are to designate friction. Grey is no friction, black and blue get friction. I think they prefer blue these days to make them easier to sort.

I also think they're phasing out grey in preference to vanilla.

Though there's always exceptions, sometimes you'll get stuff in yellow or red because reasons.

For the basic 2-length pins:

Black = friction
Grey = no friction
Blue = pin/axle friction
Tan = pin/axle no friction

For the 3-length ones, I think the friction/no friction properties remain, but the combinations change. Like there's a dark gray pin/pin/axle (might also be a black one), e.g.

e: I get a big kick out of some of the things you can make with Technic, but the aesthetic is not my jam. So I like to hide various Technic support elements or mechanisms within or behind screens or traditional Lego. But there is some crazy Technic poo poo I've stumbled across on YouTube that blows me away.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 15, 2018

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Isn’t there triple points in December? I’m waiting to pull the trigger on a Mel Falcon.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Habibi posted:

For the basic 2-length pins:

Black = friction
Grey = no friction
Blue = pin/axle friction
Tan = pin/axle no friction

For the 3-length ones, I think the friction/no friction properties remain, but the combinations change. Like there's a dark gray pin/pin/axle (might also be a black one), e.g.

e: I get a big kick out of some of the things you can make with Technic, but the aesthetic is not my jam. So I like to hide various Technic support elements or mechanisms within or behind screens or traditional Lego. But there is some crazy Technic poo poo I've stumbled across on YouTube that blows me away.

That sounds solid, but there are also the blue three long things, which don't have an axle but a two tingy long pin. The exists with the red ones, but with a female one pin long axle intake. And building the minecraft stuff, they mixed the very same pieces up with other colors (IIRC light brown???). Then there's the white ones with double axle input, which are used to mount the red clutch pieces etc.

At least in germany, a lot of people are pissed about the color coding, becauce especially the technic gearboxes for example look like a christmas tree. My first three technic sets in my life where that red race car (8865), the yellow pneumatic bagger (can't find the number, it's not the 8455, much too new) which I spent hundreds of hours on, combining it with the light and sound space train, and finally that first motorized and programmable technic set where you can build a motorized drawing board, or a fully operational robot arm.

That stuff blew me away when I was a kid, and I recently got back into the thing. I saw the Saturn V, and had to have it, and dug around the channels and saw the new technic kits. Got myself the all-terrain crane (awesome kit) and the bucket wheel excavator (flawed one some ends, but still cool), and I like them. Someone gifted me the Porsche, and while I can understand why people critize it (due to having not that many functions for a technics set), I still like it, sitting on the shelf, allthough most similar sized MOCs (especially the McLaren) are much better.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Color matching with technic is annoying but there's nothing you can do about it so you might as well accept it for what it is and embrace building aesthetic disasters.

Or use normal bricks to build a body around your machine.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

xzzy posted:

Color matching with technic is annoying but there's nothing you can do about it so you might as well accept it for what it is and embrace building aesthetic disasters.

Or use normal bricks to build a body around your machine.

Personally, I'm fine with it. It makes building the kits an absolute blast, and looking at the parts when doing MOCs, you know exactly what each part is for. You can cover them nicely anyway, as does Lego (outside of the blue monster)

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

tuo posted:

That sounds solid, but there are also the blue three long things, which don't have an axle but a two tingy long pin.

Yeah, sorry, I should have been clearer, but I meant to say that once you get past the 2-lengrh pins, they get really varied and I couldn't even begin to give you a set of governing principles. :)

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Doubles points.... well hello Voltron and Christmas firehouse. Goodbye money. Hello free shelf?:shrug:

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Here's a guide to the Technic pins and axles and their standard modern colours. I am well aware that these parts can come in other weird colours, and that they used to come in different colours. There's also 11L, 16L, 32L and 3L with stop axles but I haven't got any of those.

Top row from left (pins):
2L pin with friction (black)
2L pin without friction (grey)
pin/axle with friction (blue)
pin/axle without friction (tan)
3L pin with friction (blue)
3L pin without friction (tan)
1.5L pin (tan, also dark grey sometimes)
1L pin with stud (blue, grey is common too)
3L pin with bush (red, black and grey common, also in tons of other colours)
2L pin with 1L axle (dark grey)
1L pin with 2L axle (black)
pin with ball (black)
axle with ball (grey)

Axles, first column:
3L with stud (dark tan)
4L with stop (dark grey)
5L with stop (dark tan, also sometimes brown)
5.5L with stop (dark grey)
8L with stop (dark grey)

Axles, second column:
2L (red)
3L (grey)
4L (black)
4L with centre stop (tan)
5L (grey)
6L (black)

Axles, third column:
7L (grey)
8L (black)
9L (grey)
10L (black)
12L (black)

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

tuo posted:

Sure, why not.

I bought the Unimog when I started my adult lego career because I thought it might be fun and it looked cool, but I found the construction process incomprehensible. I was hoping to understand how everything worked, but I never did. I just kept putting pins in holes and gears in weird places. Everything was put together correctly and in the end it all worked, but it still seems like some kind of weird magic, like I'm a techno-priest in Warhammer, doing byzantine rituals without knowing why. (I know nothing about Warhammer either.)

I like building the 'normal' Lego stuff much better, at least when I put stuff together there I can see why everything is where it is. And it looks better too, I'm not really a fan of the Technic aesthetic.

Maybe I should've started with something easier than the Unimog. Too late now, no way I have the money to start doing Technic things too.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Technic is not very good for aesthetics but it is very good for insane nonsense like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp62YVtejiY

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Technic is not very good for aesthetics unless you actually aim for aesthetics.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Possibly the next Modular:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
:ccb:

Looks legit. Also, does this mean we'll be getting a bakery next year and a winter town hall, as well?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The_Doctor posted:

Possibly the next Modular:

As much as I loving love this is a MOC. The guy made it earlier this year, box art included, and it's been doing the rounds as a rumour ever since.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

PriorMarcus posted:

As much as I loving love this is a MOC. The guy made it earlier this year, box art included, and it's been doing the rounds as a rumour ever since.

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/162093-moc-brick-square-post-office/

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
We won't know about the modular for a while. Diner leaked mid November and Lego has tightened up a bit.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ah that’s a shame. I did wonder about the Post Office sign, it looked very much like the UK Post Office logo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

As nice as it is, there is nothing that really stands out about it to me anyways. before knowing it was an MOC, my thoughts were that it lacked anything really defining about it. Most of the modulars have a pretty eye catching hook to them and I think that would just blend into a city block.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

I figure the next modular will be more in line with the Diner and be a bit different to what came before like a disco/club or arcade.

Duckula fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 17, 2018

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Review of pop-up book. Looks great to me.

https://brickset.com/article/39191/review-21315-pop-up-book

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yeah. It looks like a big improvement over an already cool set. Only prob is it doesn't come out in October for double points.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Yeah. It looks like a big improvement over an already cool set. Only prob is it doesn't come out in October for double points.

Yeah, that's a total dick move on lego's part.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Double VIP points exist only to help clear out aging stock, they're never going to offer it when new popular stuff gets put up for sale. :shrug:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

xzzy posted:

Double VIP points exist only to help clear out aging stock, they're never going to offer it when new popular stuff gets put up for sale. :shrug:

Is that why they've done it during Black Friday and then again in early December the last couple years?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Surprised they didn't use the Hagrid body for the giant mini-fig

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Wow, that's really great. Day 1 mod is going to be tiling over that topmost edge of the covers/spine, though.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
That looks surprisingly good!

No stickers either! Yes, that big tile with the book's title is printed!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Davros1 posted:

Surprised they didn't use the Hagrid body for the giant mini-fig

As far as I can tell there's usually a period of exclusivity on new moulds like that made for a specific character.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

ivantod posted:

That looks surprisingly good!

No stickers either! Yes, that big tile with the book's title is printed!
Yeah, I'm picturing that tile as a painted advertisement on the side of a 1920's building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

The Shortest Path posted:

Technic is not very good for aesthetics but it is very good for insane nonsense like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp62YVtejiY

I'm using this as a video yule log this Christmas