Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
Don't forget ASB going with "Jean-Pierre Eiffel" for some reason

e: not to mention the bizarre ones from HFTF way back that mostly read like mistransliterations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Michel Polnareff is a very famous French musician

Hes also the design inspiration for Donflamingo in one piece I think

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
I know but even EoH going with just "Jean-Pierre" was less cheesy than that

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
his real name is Benimaru

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Expect My Mom posted:

his real name is Benimaru

No, no, you have it backwards, Benimaru's real name is Polnareff.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
honestly im considering putting a memoriam on all copyright name talk. it's a cyclical conversation that comes up a lot, people get real itchy with spoilers when its talked about and no one here is a copyright lawyer that can answer everyone's (totally understandable) questions. it's just a byproduct of getting any translated JoJo and im a bit weary it

let me know what u think

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Blaze Dragon posted:

No, no, you have it backwards, Benimaru's real name is Polnareff.
ah yes, and rose's real name is lisa lisa

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
sliding this under the door before moratorium

Marx Headroom fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 15, 2018

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2wKDxhjv8M&t=27s

I appreciate this.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
Petition for a new JoJo fighting game with the same amount of love as the 1998 one but made with Unreal Engine like Dragon Ball FighterZ.

Yes, that means special sprites models for all characters hit by Alessi's stand.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I just can't handle arguing whose in the limited character roster any ore.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Oxyclean posted:

What's the source on the official translated names for stuff we haven't seen yet? Has there been officially translated manga?

Oingo Boingo / Zenyatta Mondatta was the first time I really noticed it. Worst Company was bad (haw) but Zipper Man takes the cake in terms of being comically different, and also just like "what the hell do we call this stand?"

I'm real curious about that part 6 one now, but I don't want to peak at spoilers just yet.

most of the part 3 name changes were for the english release of the part 3 manga back in the '00s and were chosen by Araki himself (hence why they're still music references, just ones they were able to clear). Most of the later part name changes are from ASB/EoH, but not all.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

honestly im considering putting a memoriam on all copyright name talk. it's a cyclical conversation that comes up a lot, people get real itchy with spoilers when its talked about and no one here is a copyright lawyer that can answer everyone's (totally understandable) questions. it's just a byproduct of getting any translated JoJo and im a bit weary it

let me know what u think

I'm considering putting a memoriam on your rear end pal

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Expect My Mom posted:

i'm not your copyright lawyer, but the general rule is the US is you can't make money off of unauthorized uses of somebody's name or likeness. in reality, such cases revolve around someone using a famous person's likeness along with a fake name, but technically a cartoon about punch ghosts using a bunch of old band names could trip the trigger too, even if the underlying characters are nothing like the famous people they are named after. it's reason they made the M. Bison/Balrog/Vega switch in the US version of Street Fighter.

it's surprising that the show can even get away with just changing the subtitles and other very minor changes without getting into legal trouble. for example, if Araki made the exact same comic, but changed all the names to Mickey, Goofy, Donald Duck, etc. instead, he'd get sued before the first episode finished airing. old rock stars and their estates are only a little less litigious than Disney. if you say "GOLD EXPERIENCE" into a mirror three times, Prince comes back from the dead to issue you a cease and desist.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I’m not a copyright lawyer but copyright laws are pretty vague and extremely favorable to people who make claims and it’s a minefield that it’s best to steer clear from as much as possible

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The audio is a product made in Japan and is bound by Japanese trademark laws. For the purposes of copyright and such, the subtitles are a brand new product created in America and are bound by US trademark law. It's weird, yeah.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Augus posted:

I’m not a copyright lawyer but copyright laws are pretty vague and extremely favorable to people who make claims and it’s a minefield that it’s best to steer clear from as much as possible
even worse, it's not even a strict copyright law issue, but some more general known as the right of publicity. copyright is at least standardized federally, while the right to publicity can vary from state to state, and places with powerful celebrity interests (California, naturally), have more protective laws. air the show in any state, and you're subject to its laws. whoever Crunchyroll hired to clear JoJo has to have a powerful California celebrity attorney on payroll.

Waffleman_ posted:

The audio is a product made in Japan and is bound by Japanese trademark laws. For the purposes of copyright and such, the subtitles are a brand new product created in America and are bound by US trademark law. It's weird, yeah.
i promised myself I wouldn't go into this too deep and i'm already a liar, but if you sell a product in the US, it's bound by US laws. it doesn't so much matter where you make it, it matters where you sell it. since Crunchyroll is airing this in the US, every part of the production is subject to US law. subs, dubs, animation, the whole thing.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 15, 2018

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
As far as stuff like Echoes being generic words, wouldn't the fact that fans of the series were able to make a connection to a Pink Floyd song mean that lawyers would be able to argue there is reason using the name would be intruding on their brand? It's annoying but I can understand them taking all the precautions they can to not get sued.

It wouldn't kill them to come up with something better than Zipper Man though. A few of the part 5 stands make it seem like they just phoned it in.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's something that literally doesn't matter so i'm never sure why people fixate on it so much

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

yeah actually they will posted:

I'm considering putting a memoriam on your rear end pal
noted, please continue

TenementFunster posted:

i'm not your copyright lawyer, but the general rule is the US is you can't make money off of unauthorized uses of somebody's name or likeness. in reality, such cases revolve around someone using a famous person's likeness along with a fake name, but technically a cartoon about punch ghosts using a bunch of old band names could trip the trigger too, even if the underlying characters are nothing like the famous people they are named after. it's reason they made the M. Bison/Balrog/Vega switch in the US version of Street Fighter.

it's surprising that the show can even get away with just changing the subtitles and other very minor changes without getting into legal trouble. for example, if Araki made the exact same comic, but changed all the names to Mickey, Goofy, Donald Duck, etc. instead, he'd get sued before the first episode finished airing. old rock stars and their estates are only a little less litigious than Disney. if you say "GOLD EXPERIENCE" into a mirror three times, Prince comes back from the dead to issue you a cease and desist.
thank you for this, I will probably emptyquote these a lot

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Just hire weird al to come up with new names, literally nobody is gonna sue weird al

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's something that literally doesn't matter so i'm never sure why people fixate on it so much

yeah, when you literally hear the actual name over and over, I don't see why anyone would care what the subs said.

Of course I grew up with horrible 3rd rate subs on Hong Kong movies so maybe I'm just numb.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Just hire weird al to come up with new names, literally nobody is gonna sue weird al

Nobody sues Weird Al because Weird Al always asks permission from the original artist.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Darko posted:

yeah, when you literally hear the actual name over and over, I don't see why anyone would care what the subs said.

Of course I grew up with horrible 3rd rate subs on Hong Kong movies so maybe I'm just numb.

That's gonna be one downside of official English releases of the manga though.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Waffleman_ posted:

Nobody sues Weird Al because Weird Al always asks permission from the original artist.

Also because parody is explicitly covered. Legally he doesn't have to ask them.

He just does it because he's that nice of a guy. Which maybe was your original point? Idk, I'll go now.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

jivjov posted:

That's gonna be one downside of official English releases of the manga though.

Good point; didn't even think about that. That does kind of suck.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Fender Anarchist posted:

Also because parody is explicitly covered. Legally he doesn't have to ask them.

He just does it because he's that nice of a guy. Which maybe was your original point? Idk, I'll go now.
parody is a grey area, but you can still get sued even if you have an obviously meritorious claim of parody and eventually prevail. it's a statutory defense, but the cost of a lawsuit alone, even if Al won every suit, would be more than he makes on most individual songs. Weird Al is a major recording artist who works for major record labels. he's not releasing anything unless a bunch of very serious professionals agree nobody is gonna sue anybody. this is absolutely a wild-rear end-guess on my part, but I think a big part of the "permission" Weird Al gets comes from giving the original rights holders (artists, labels, w/e) a slice of his action in exchange for a promise they won't sue him. For instance, Michael Jackson has a songwriter's credit on "Fat" and "Eat It." Coolio has a songwriters credit on "Amish Paradise," and so on. The original creators are getting paid off of that poo poo. No so with JoJo.

Crunchyroll doesn't have nearly the resources or connections of an RCA or a Capitol Records. i'm still shocked they get away with it.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 16, 2018

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
The fake names only bother me because imo while the original names are just musical references, they have a certain gravitas to them. If they made an effort to replicate that feeling for the more important stands instead of just lazy self-parody it wouldn't be so bad

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I saw a comment mentioning it and now I can't unhear "Farting Gold" in the OP.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Going back to ED chat, in 1998, K-Ci & JoJo collaborated with Gang Starr to produce the song Royalty. That's pretty much perfect for part five.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

tweet my meat posted:

I like how they keep the jojo in his name with giogio, but it also has the io from DIO.

:psyboom:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUIbBkaWddA

Avoid the comments, there's already dickheads there posting spoilers for Part 5.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

RatHat posted:

I saw a comment mentioning it and now I can't unhear "Farting Gold" in the OP.

tbf that's also an appropriate description of giorno's stand

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

RaspberryCommie posted:

I'm not entirely sure how to feel about Fighting Gold.

I agree with this. I've listened to it a bunch. And I really like it as a song. But it doesn't really feel like a JoJo opening.

The others feel like they were written specifically for JoJo, but Fighting Gold sounds like you could just throw it in front of another anime and it would still fit.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Aquasnake posted:

I agree with this. I've listened to it a bunch. And I really like it as a song. But it doesn't really feel like a JoJo opening.

The others feel like they were written specifically for JoJo, but Fighting Gold sounds like you could just throw it in front of another anime and it would still fit.

That's kind of how I felt on the first listen, but then I listened to the full version with headphones on. There are few if any non-JoJo animes that are fabulous enough to live up to CODA belting like that.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
yeah the song Fighting Gold really doesn't fit the anime with the character Golden Experience in it

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fighting Gold is extremely good and very fitting

JoJo reinvents itself with every part. People were saying Crazy Noisy Bizzare Town didn’t “sound like JoJo” at first too.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Augus posted:

Fighting Gold is extremely good and very fitting

JoJo reinvents itself with every part. People were saying Crazy Noisy Bizzare Town didn’t “sound like JoJo” at first too.

yep

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

jojo has a wide variety of ops and every single one of them has fans who say it's their favorite, there's no point in saying one of them 'doesn't feel' like jojo because there's a fair amount to who it does without an absolute doubt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Johnny Joestar posted:

jojo has a wide variety of ops and every single one of them has fans who say it's their favorite, there's no point in saying one of them 'doesn't feel' like jojo because there's a fair amount to who it does without an absolute doubt

except chase.