Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
E: forget it. Not worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Tony Gunk posted:

Agree to disagree, I guess. Trump's going to be loving up so often and so hard that they'll have way too many other bones to gnaw on.
lol

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...m=.9b701548cc92

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Well, thankfully, Hillary Clinton will not be a candidate in 2020, so they'll have to make do with other topics of conversation.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Tony Gunk posted:

Well, thankfully, Hillary Clinton will not be a candidate in 2020, so they'll have to make do with other topics of conversation.
Yes, I'm sure this time they'll focus on Trump's many scandals, rather than nitpick whoever the Democrat is.

The butter emails phenomenon was entirely due to it being Hillary Clinton and not a longstanding failure in the media to honestly evaluate the relative strengths and shortcomings of two candidates in a head-to-head matchup in favor of focusing on the horse race and falling for the truth-is-in-the-middle framing of everything.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Inferior Third Season posted:

Yes, I'm sure this time they'll focus on Trump's many scandals, rather than nitpick whoever the Democrat is.

The butter emails phenomenon was entirely due to it being Hillary Clinton and not a longstanding failure in the media to honestly evaluate the relative strengths and shortcomings of two candidates in a head-to-head matchup in favor of focusing on the horse race and falling for the truth-is-in-the-middle framing of everything.

Trump is President and will have four years of racism and spectacular failures under his belt this time; plus, the Democrat will not have nearly the sheer amount of baggage that Hillary Clinton had.

Look, I don't disagree that the media loves them some horse-race goodness, but seriously? You can't discount the role that Hillary Clinton's 30+ year presence in the public spotlight played in the 2016 debacle.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Inferior Third Season posted:

The relationship between the press and Clinton has been covered a number of times-from current and former journos-but the summary is that yes, there were some unique-to-Clinton elements of the press' coverage, beyond the media's overall desire for a horserace (which worked against her in both the primary and the general).

There was also the constant drumbeat of congressional investigation surrounding Clinton-and the media has made clear that, on all sides, investigations and testimony are newsworthy.

Should the Dems retake the house, it will be a struggle for the media to ignore those investigations. And unlike Curiel, the congressional Dems will not be putting off investigations and depositions out of highminded judicial ideas.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Tony Gunk posted:

Trump is President and will have four years of racism and spectacular failures under his belt this time; plus, the Democrat will not have nearly the sheer amount of baggage that Hillary Clinton had.

Look, I don't disagree that the media loves them some horse-race goodness, but seriously? You can't discount the role that Hillary Clinton's 30+ year presence in the public spotlight played in the 2016 debacle.
I've seen the media go on for months at a time about Reverend Wright and swift boats and misquoting Gore about inventing the internet.

It was extremely effective against Hillary, but it happens every time.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
love to claim i am 0.09765625% native american to own president good brains

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

love to claim i am 0.09765625% native american to own president good brains

it's amazing how effective talking poo poo is

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
theres literally a billboard a half mile from me on some guys lawn saying that MASSACHUSETTS NEEDS A REAL INDIAN, NOT A FAKE ONE

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

exploded mummy posted:

theres literally a billboard a half mile from me on some guys lawn saying that MASSACHUSETTS NEEDS A REAL INDIAN, NOT A FAKE ONE

...you don't live in Palmer, MA by any chance, do you? Cause I have seen that exact same billboard. It's for the whackjob indie candidate for Senate that Ben Garrison is backing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

if someone decided to only refer to him as "donny goodbrains" they'd win in a landslide.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Knight posted:

They’re both unqualified entitled old white men who think that their status and money should guarantee them fame and adoration. The difference is that Trump is a vulgar racist while Bloomberg is a member of the elite in group. Yet Trump was borrowing Bloomberg’s policing policy.

Bloomberg is polite about his racism.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Never underestimate Trump's incompetence. I forgot about Trump's dumb bet, it puts him in an awkward spot because he definitely can't pay it, and denying he made it is the worst defence.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

DynamicSloth posted:

Never underestimate Trump's incompetence. I forgot about Trump's dumb bet, it puts him in an awkward spot because he definitely can't pay it, and denying he made it is the worst defence.

He will never pay it and it will have no effect on anything.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Tony Gunk posted:

...you don't live in Palmer, MA by any chance, do you? Cause I have seen that exact same billboard. It's for the whackjob indie candidate for Senate that Ben Garrison is backing.

Someone has told me theres at least another one somewhere, but this one is in Tewksbury

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 15, 2018

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He will never pay it and it will have no effect on anything.

Cool nothing matters take, that's always valuable.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

DynamicSloth posted:

He just tricked the former Harvard Law professor and potential Dem nominee into acting like an idiot.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Idahoant posted:

I mean it’s probably accurate in this context. The goalposts will shift from “she’s not Native” to “she’s not meaningfully Native” and they’re kind of not wrong in that respect. I think this whole thing was a political mistake tbh.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The Muppets On PCP posted:

because like all establishment democrats she fundamentally misunderstands american politics, and if she's the nominee will lose even worse than clinton

Yeah so today's the first day I'm actually worried about Warren running and becoming the nominee, because if this is how her team handles an issue like that, they are going to get loving dunked on.

This was never about her actual ancestry just like birtherism was never about the facts of Barack Obama's birth. The last thing we need to talk about three weeks until the midterms is how Native American Elizabeth Warren is.

I can only hope they learn from their gently caress ups, and maybe, just maybe, this issue getting litigated now will mean the mainstream press won't care about it later on.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Idahoant posted:

Do you actually think Trump will pay the $1M or face political consequences for failing to do so?

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing
I don't find people's predictions very worthwhile and I don't really make them myself because it accomplishes nothing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

*looks at thread title*

*looks at date*

you sure you're in the right thread?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Idahoant posted:

I don't find people's predictions very worthwhile and I don't really make them myself because it accomplishes nothing.

Cool nothing matters take, that’s always valuable.

Edit: to be more polite, if predictions are worthless, why the jump to criticize those that predict negative outcomes?

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 15, 2018

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Shocked, shocked to find reckless speculation in this of all threads. Though, as a general tip: if you find that each new piece of information confirms your previously held opinion and will make others see that you're correct... that probably says more about you than it does the value of your opinion. Which will be the hazard of this thread and its reaction to every little morsel that comes out until midway through next year.

Warren's Weigel Score has been updated to reflect the last couple days of new info.

Eta:
What's the thread feeling on some nice "get to know you" games on the candidate pool? Hogwarts house sorting, Game of Thrones dynasties, which West Wing character they are mo*chokes on lanyard*

But for real, it'll be a long, dumb winter of speculation and nonsense. Do we want some tryhard, mostly unfunny bullshit, or nah?

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 15, 2018

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Idahoant posted:

Plenty of things matter, just not this one.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
the "this is bad for warren" takes in here are pretty baffling. At worst, it's a wash for her; at best, it will mean the non-CHUD media will either stop bringing it up entirely or a lot less often for the next two years.

How many people who would potentially vote for her will be changing their minds because she took a DNA test that literally verified what she was claiming?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tony Gunk posted:

I don't think people are going to care. I think taking the test and finding evidence of Native American ancestry is going to be enough for the non-chud media to stop mentioning it every time "Elizabeth Warren" and "President" are found in the same sentence. Again, if she was claiming she was 100% Native American, you'd have a point--but she never said anything of the sort.

Eh, it does show that she was wrong to ever actively associate herself with being Native American, since she only showed an insignificant level of ancestry and isn't a part of any nations. Like, the results basically proved that the accusations were true in spirit, even if they were technically false.

It's not really a big deal, but she should have just owned up to it having been dumb to draw the association when she was younger (I believe it was only when she was much younger that she marked herself as Native American somewhere, someone can correct me if I'm wrong). By doubling down, she's taking something that wasn't really a big deal and actually making it kind of problematic.

Idahoant posted:

Characterizing any opinion along the lines of "X isn't helpful" as "nothing matters" is one of the more obnoxious and dishonest talking points to come out of contemporary intra-left discourse.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
It's a waste of time because Trump is a literal moron who has assaulted a dozen women and publically campaigned for child molesters.

I'm way more interested in Warren's shadow DNC.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ytlaya posted:

It's not really a big deal, but she should have just owned up to it having been dumb to draw the association when she was younger (I believe it was only when she was much younger that she marked herself as Native American somewhere, someone can correct me if I'm wrong).

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/elizabeth-warren-wealthy-native-american/

The initial extent of the claim appears to be that her name was placed on some "minority faculty" lists. It does not appear to have actually made any difference in her hiring etc. at any point.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/elizabeth-warren-wealthy-native-american/

The initial extent of the claim appears to be that her name was placed on some "minority faculty" lists. It does not appear to have actually made any difference in her hiring etc. at any point.

there also was a cookbook that her cousin wrote called pow wow chow, and she gave some recipes to it

that's seriously about it

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

Eh, it does show that she was wrong to ever actively associate herself with being Native American, since she only showed an insignificant level of ancestry and isn't a part of any nations. Like, the results basically proved that the accusations were true in spirit, even if they were technically false.

It's not really a big deal, but she should have just owned up to it having been dumb to draw the association when she was younger (I believe it was only when she was much younger that she marked herself as Native American somewhere, someone can correct me if I'm wrong). By doubling down, she's taking something that wasn't really a big deal and actually making it kind of problematic.

Donald Trump just said he refused to accept any DNA test results that he didn't personally conduct.

This just turned into a master troll by Elizabeth Warren.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

love to have a debate on genetics and bloodlines on the national stage with marx's farcical second coming of hitler

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tony Gunk posted:

Donald Trump just said he refused to accept any DNA test results that he didn't personally conduct.

This just turned into a master troll by Elizabeth Warren.

No, see, having Donald Trump publicly welch on a $1 million charity promise and say some incredibly creepy, sexist things is actually bad for democrats, because

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Mods?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

DaveWoo posted:

No, see, having Donald Trump publicly welch on a $1 million charity promise and say some incredibly creepy, sexist things is actually bad for democrats, because

Exactly. I mean, obviously she couldn't have predicted this outcome, but it's a nice little PR victory and it takes a Very Serious People talking point off the table for good.

The chuds and Trump will still bleat about it, but this wasn't for them. It was for the people smart enough to know better who were still giving this bullshit any credence.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/justinwingerter/status/1051943041576169476?s=21

not a good look for warren

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

DaveWoo posted:

we got 'em.

just needed to undermine an entire ethnic group to do it.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

What's one more under the bus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's okay just troll them too along with Trump. Genius! :downs: